s4xon

I have not heard from anyone that signing Ortio as a back is a given. I think BT sees our development with Ortio is not complete and he is not done with POrtio but I have heard nothing to indicate him as our backup.

Add to this he has not re-signed Ortio yet.... what does that tell you?

In fairness to the process Ortio is likely only going to get his qualifying offer and the flames havnt qualified anyone yet. So not sure him not being signed is a sign of anything

I think we should go with Ortio as backup. His NHL opportunities have been limited and in difficult situations. Had a great 5 game run then didn't get a look in for 12 months. Go with him as your backup from Day 1 and give him the opportunity to prove himself. You need to back him after the debacle last summer. He may be a genuine starter in 2-3 years or he may be a decent backup or career AHLer in 1. Time to find out...

I have not seen Ortio as able to be a backup yet. Backup role is different than starter role.

Ortio has not started any season well/strong. He has shown he needs a few games in a row(more like a starter) to find his grove. This is my concern about pencilling him in for any backup job right now. I am not giving up on him so would be okay with a trial as backup but think a plan B is in order if you are going re-sign him and put him in that role.

I have not heard from anyone that signing Ortio as a back is a given. I think BT sees our development with Ortio is not complete and he is not done with POrtio but I have heard nothing to indicate him as our backup.

Add to this he has not re-signed Ortio yet.... what does that tell you?

Burke said they are comfortable with him as the backup right now.  He said they were ready to move on, but he pulled himself together.  He went on to say that he would have to compete at camp like every other player.  That sort of implies he will get a QO. Burke isn't the GM, so anything could happen.  It just seems like they both like the goalie.

I have not seen Ortio as able to be a backup yet. Backup role is different than starter role.

Ortio has not started any season well/strong. He has shown he needs a few games in a row(more like a starter) to find his grove. This is my concern about pencilling him in for any backup job right now. I am not giving up on him so would be okay with a trial as backup but think a plan B is in order if you are going re-sign him and put him in that role.

I think you always need a contingency. But, in my opinion, he needs to be given a chance at the start of the season. Showing confidence in him could make a big difference, cos he's never really been shown that. A new coaching system may also be a benefit (although teething problems may be an issue early on). If he can't cut it given the right opportunities then we can trade for an alternative back up.

Elliot for 2.5m...costing a 2nd and maybe a 3rd. 

That's kinda a steal. Again. BT really knows how to work the trade market. 

Also opens up about 3 mil of cap space we were expecting to invest in goal (as I think its more likely than not, say 60/40, that Ortio is backup next year). 

Now we just need that RW. 

I wonder how interested Treliving really was in Fleury and Bishop vs him creating leverage to lower the cost on Elliott. It sounds like it was almost a done deal for Bishop pending contract talks, but reports were the Flames never even contacted Bishop.

I don't doubt that they checked in on those two but I agree that Elliott was likely their number one choice. The only person I could see they would have wanted more is Anderson just because of the age. I think Elliott would have always been the preferred route and it was for me too. I just didn't think St Louis would move him so thank you Hitch for mis using him

I don't doubt that they checked in on those two but I agree that Elliott was likely their number one choice. The only person I could see they would have wanted more is Anderson just because of the age. I think Elliott would have always been the preferred route and it was for me too. I just didn't think St Louis would move him so thank you Hitch for mis using him

Elliott said that he met with the team and talked about moving on.  They both felt it was the best.  Don't know exactly when that happened, but it was fortunate for us.  

I think you always need a contingency. But, in my opinion, he needs to be given a chance at the start of the season. Showing confidence in him could make a big difference, cos he's never really been shown that. A new coaching system may also be a benefit (although teething problems may be an issue early on). If he can't cut it given the right opportunities then we can trade for an alternative back up.

WOW a voice of reason.

Elliot for 2.5m...costing a 2nd and maybe a 3rd. 

That's kinda a steal. Again. BT really knows how to work the trade market. 

Also opens up about 3 mil of cap space we were expecting to invest in goal (as I think its more likely than not, say 60/40, that Ortio is backup next year). 

Now we just need that RW. 

I'm not sure it is a steal but it is fair value for 1 year of solid goaltending and maybe more there after should they extend him.

I don't think the organization should burn another year on a goalie they have no faith in because there is a chance he could turn things around. He hasn't been more then an average AHL goalie for the Flames and nobody should be upset or shocked if he moves on.

If the Flames can find a better option at a low cost then why wouldn't they take it? Sometimes it's just time to move on.

Trading for a goalie mid season is extremely tough to do. If the flames don't believe in Ortio then they need to let him go and find someone else do not go into the season with a goalie you arnt sure on.

I don't think the organization should burn another year on a goalie they have no faith in because there is a chance he could turn things around. He hasn't been more then an average AHL goalie for the Flames and nobody should be upset or shocked if he moves on.

If the Flames can find a better option at a low cost then why wouldn't they take it? Sometimes it's just time to move on.

Burning another year at 900K is peanuts to continue on with a player and for you to say they have no faith in him is just you embellishing your own thoughts not the Flames. 

Burning another year at 900K is peanuts to continue on with a player and for you to say they have no faith in him is just you embellishing your own thoughts not the Flames.

I said if they have no faith in him they should move on. If they think he can give them 30 good games then great. If not, find a better option.

You can't start the season with a goalie you don't trust, wait for him to fail, and then scramble to find another goalie when he does. I don't care if he only makes 900k.

I said if they have no faith in him they should move on. If they think he can give them 30 good games then great. If not, find a better option.

You can't start the season with a goalie you don't trust, wait for him to fail, and then scramble to find another goalie when he does. I don't care if he only makes 900k.

You didn't say "if" at all and I agree with if they don't have enough faith in him because of a lack of experience they should address the situation. Whether that means moving on by the Flames or Ortio could be an end result but having him in the AHL and finding a more experienced back up could prevail.

You didn't say "if" at all and I agree with if they don't have enough faith in him because of a lack of experience they should address the situation. Whether that means moving on by the Flames or Ortio could be an end result but having him in the AHL and finding a more experienced back up could prevail.

Your right, I didn't say if. My oversight. I don't know where the Flames are with Ortio. But I don't get the sense they love him. The Flames should be rightfully expecting the playoffs next season so I don't agree with the idea if taking a wait and see approach in net unless they Ortio has what it takes.

The Flames should be rightfully expecting the playoffs next season

I don't know man, the Conference is still pretty tough.  The Flames improve in goal but will be changing styles of play under Gulutzan. There are enough unknowns that i don't think anyone can expect playoffs next season.

That, and i personally see this season as a transition year (wasted year) where we wait for expiring contracts to go away, like Wideman, Raymond, Engellend, Smid, and Bollig.  That alone is $12-mil coming off the cap and money that can be better spent to improve RW.  I think the year after is the year to expect playoffs.

I agree the conference is tough but count me in the expect playoffs crowd. IMO this is a playoff team on paper and if they hadn't received the leagues worst goaltending last year they would have been close.

"Expect" playoffs may but a stretch but this team should either be in the playoffs or darn close.

I don't know man, the Conference is still pretty tough. The Flames improve in goal but will be changing styles of play under Gulutzan. There are enough unknowns that i don't think anyone can expect playoffs next season.

That, and i personally see this season as a transition year (wasted year) where we wait for expiring contracts to go away, like Wideman, Raymond, Engellend, Smid, and Bollig. That alone is $12-mil coming off the cap and money that can be better spent to improve RW. I think the year after is the year to expect playoffs.

They have a legitimate starter, strong top 3D, are good up the centre especially if Bennett takes a step. If they can clear some cap and make some tweaks they should be competitive.

They definitely might miss the playoffs and I am not saying they are a sure thing. But they will and should approach the season with the intent of being competitive. Which means not putting a guy they don't trust in thr net for 30 games.

Ortio needs to stay away from the AHL.  That is Gillies net to start and Rittich's to backup.  If he isn't able to win a job as the backup or the Flames don't want to take the chance on him with 30 games, then let him go.  He has no value in that case.

Ortio needs to stay away from the AHL.  That is Gillies net to start and Rittich's to backup.  If he isn't able to win a job as the backup or the Flames don't want to take the chance on him with 30 games, then let him go.  He has no value in that case.

I agree that if the Flames have no confidence in Ortio, there is no point in keeping him around and we need to bring in an alternative. I just listened to an interview from BT and he said someting luke "we will still be looking at other options. That's no disrespect the the guys we ready have, like Ortio". Burke also seemed pretty luke warm saying he had a terrible forst half but the form at the end of last year shows he could be a capable back up. Maybe they have already made up their minds.

I don't know man, the Conference is still pretty tough.  The Flames improve in goal but will be changing styles of play under Gulutzan. There are enough unknowns that i don't think anyone can expect playoffs next season.

That, and i personally see this season as a transition year (wasted year) where we wait for expiring contracts to go away, like Wideman, Raymond, Engellend, Smid, and Bollig.  That alone is $12-mil coming off the cap and money that can be better spent to improve RW.  I think the year after is the year to expect playoffs.

I think you nailed it. There may be significant adjustments for the players to make, and some may need more time to adjust to the new system than others. As well, we have a very young team. We need at least 1 more year to adjust, develop/mature, and trade a few more players. It seems to me that a rebuild takes 5 years, and the rewards can take a little more time. It is also possible that the rebuild just does not work. 

I think you nailed it. There may be significant adjustments for the players to make, and some may need more time to adjust to the new system than others. As well, we have a very young team. We need at least 1 more year to adjust, develop/mature, and trade a few more players. It seems to me that a rebuild takes 5 years, and the rewards can take a little more time. It is also possible that the rebuild just does not work.

I'd tend to believe we are definitely good enough with the addition of Tkachuk, who I expect to make this team, especially if we add a top 6 winger, to make the playoffs. I get a new coach needs time to gel with his players but if Elliott can come in and give us average goaltending we will be fine. Losing Brodie last season early and Hamilton taking time figuring out his game really hurt and this season we will have Jokipakka for the full year which will help a lot. This points to an improved defence core in front of a proven goalie with a new possession-style team game. All signs point to a really good season IMO.

I'm wondering if anyone will give Zack Sawchenko a tryout now?

Kind of wish the Flames would, but they may Finally be full up there now:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=161144

A calgary-raised kid with starter potential, slipped through the draft.....

Only way it happens is if Mason stays in junior for his overage year.  That doesn't appear to be the best situation, since they should be staggering contracts going pro.  Schneider can possibly stay 2 years in Junior, while Parsons will likely go pro in 2017 or 2018,