s4xon

I hope BT doesn’t do anything stupid between now and Saturday.  We are now the only team in the market for a #1 goalie and prices should begin to drop now that TML has their guy.  BT can now dictate the price and I don’t see either of the Flames 1st or 2nd in play nor any grade A prospects. We have two additional later 2nd round picks (FLA and DAL), that should be the largest currency he works with.  Ideally Wideman is in there as well and/or a bottom 6 forward but not much more.  If he can’t get a deal done with that then I think we should wait and get a better deal later in the summer.  The #1 goalies available thru the summer will not deplete but the price should.

• Like 1

http://m.calgarysun.com/2016/06/20/penguins-want-first-round-pick-as-calgary-flames-bid-to-acquire-proven-starting-goaltender

Francis reporting that the Penguins are asking for the 6th overall pick for Fleury.

I would move on to Bishop, Elliott, Vasilevskiy, Varlamov.

What would a contract figure look like to obtain Vasilevskiy and sign him like TOR did with Andersen ? I think he should be BT's target.

http://m.calgarysun.com/2016/06/20/penguins-want-first-round-pick-as-calgary-flames-bid-to-acquire-proven-starting-goaltender

Francis reporting that the Penguins are asking for the 6th overall pick for Fleury.

I would move on to Bishop, Elliott, Vasilevskiy, Varlamov.

I would be hesitant to offer #6 for Murray as well.  In other words no.  Pound sand.

What would a contract figure look like to obtain Vasilevskiy and sign him like TOR did with Andersen ? I think he should be BT's target.

He has one year left, so different circumstances.  He's not a starter right now, either.  It still going to be an expensive deal because of his potential and age.  He offers a lot more risk/reward than the bonafide starters potentially available.  Elliott and Bishop, contract aside, are my first choices.  Both teams have the same issues with two good to very good goalies.  I think Elliott may be on the block due to Allen's age and lower cost to re-sign.

I would be hesitant to offer #6 for Murray as well.  In other words no.  Pound sand.

He has one year left, so different circumstances.  He's not a starter right now, either.  It still going to be an expensive deal because of his potential and age.  He offers a lot more risk/reward than the bonafide starters potentially available.  Elliott and Bishop, contract aside, are my first choices.  Both teams have the same issues with two good to very good goalies.  I think Elliott may be on the block due to Allen's age and lower cost to re-sign.

You didn't answer the question. Could take on the risk/reward for say 3.5M over 5years such as what STL did with Elliott and Allen.

Oh, sure that is possible.  If he was claimed, they lose MAF for nothing.

The other thing is that why would MAF agree to waive his NMC to possibly get stuck in Vegas?  Very few expansion teams come in as anything more than a rebuilding team.  Would not be a contender for quite some time

It's not clear that Murray is ineligible from an expansion draft because of his AHL time which would put him over 2years. If so MAF with his NMC could force Pittsburg to trade Murray, and nothing they could do about it. More clarity tomorrow.

So as expected, Anaheim shipped Anderson as far away as possible. Calgary now can pretty much have their pick of any goalie available.

With that leverage, no way we go for Bernier.

One scenario we haven't really looked at, is far fetched but could happen. We talk of how Pittsburgh has to trade Fleury, but what if he flat out doesnt want to leave? He holds the cards, what if he just loves Pittsburgh, or has happened many times before his wife doesnt want to leave?

What if he goes to Rutherford and says hes not going anywhere, and guarantees hes protected in the expansion draft.

They would have to trade Murray.

It would be a D*** move, but its also his right with a NMC

THAT could be your unexpected move.

Unlikely? Yes very much so..but not impossible

I've been thinking the same thing Phoenix.

In fact, If I'm BT, I'm not rushing to make a deal for a goalie... I'd stretch it out longer. I'd wait until the end of the summer if I have to. Make Rutherford sweat. Make him have to have conversations with Fleury, convincing him to play backup or waive his NMC exposing him to a team like Vegas for next season. Or, have conversations with Murray about preparing to be exposed if Fleury refuses to waive his NMC. Make him think about going into the 2016-2017 season with both goalies having that hanging over their heads, and the players in the room knowing the situation. The media attention that would get all year... let Rutherford think about that.

Rutherford wants our 6th overall to save himself from losing one of his 2 goalies for nothing? Ha! Beggars can't be choosers. Put Rutherford in the hot seat and let him sweat it out this whole summer about his goaltending situation and the crappy conversations he's going to have to have with both goalies. His price will come down significantly.

Calgary is sitting pretty being one of, if not the only, team looking for a starter.

• Like 3

I've been thinking the same thing Phoenix.

In fact, If I'm BT, I'm not rushing to make a deal for a goalie... I'd stretch it out longer. I'd wait until the end of the summer if I have to. Make Rutherford sweat. Make him have to have conversations with Fleury, convincing him to play backup or waive his NMC exposing him to a team like Vegas for next season. Or, have conversations with Murray about preparing to be exposed if Fleury refuses to waive his NMC. Make him think about going into the 2016-2017 season with both goalies having that hanging over their heads, and the players in the room knowing the situation. The media attention that would get all year... let Rutherford think about that.

Rutherford wants our 6th overall to save him from losing one of his 2 goalies? Ha! Beggars can't be choosers. Put Rutherford in the hot seat and let him sweat it out this whole summer about his goaltending situation and the crappy conversations he's going to have to have with both goalies. His price will come down significantly.

Calgary is sitting pretty being one of, if not the only, team looking for a starter.

Something your failing to Relize is the board hasnt decided on expansion and i doubt it will happen till next year giving rutherford till next year it is who can play the waiting game and rutherford has the cards the flames dont they need a goalie for next season.... The Penguins can stand pat till next summer

Something your failing to Relize is the board hasnt decided on expansion and i doubt it will happen till next year giving rutherford till next year it is who can play the waiting game and rutherford has the cards the flames dont they need a goalie for next season.... The Penguins can stand pat till next summer

Well, we'll find out tomorrow for sure, but given the Anderen trade and the reports from the AP, looks like expansion is happening to Vegas. And if (when) it's announced, Rutherford will have all of what, 10 days to try to trade Fleury to another team before the expansion draft? Plus, Fleury with his NMC gets to pick and choose which teams he'd allow a trade to?

Sorry Snowbear, but having that little time plus the restrictions imposed by Fleury's NMC (plus all the media attention it would draw all season long for the team), doesn't sound like the option that's in the best interest of the team.

The Flames also have the pick of any team looking to get rid of a goalie. There aren't many other teams looking for one right now and if Calgary trades the 6th, then Fire Treliving because that's just as bad as Feaster deals.

You didn't answer the question. Could take on the risk/reward for say 3.5M over 5years such as what STL did with Elliott and Allen.

He has one year left on his contract.

Didn't answer the question because it all depends on what kind of season he has in CGY.  A playoff appearance gets him $4m+.  A middling season gets him a bridge contract.

As an aside, reports are out there we are working on a deal for Bishop.  Hope one of the pieces going back is Wideman or Bouma or Stajan or Engelland, to help with the cap impact.

Dallas doesn't get any return calls from Pittsburg if they are looking to trade one of their goalies for MAF.  How do you propose that Dallas clears their two goalies if they are trading picks?  For one thing, there are not that many teams looking for a meh goalie on a bad contract.  Buffalo already traded for Lehner last year.

The other side of the coin is that MAF would never waive his NMC to go to Dallas as a 1a/1b goalie.

Buffalo needs a backup and both contracts end at the same time the big guns for Buffalo need new contracts.With Lehner's history of injuries they would want experience and someone like Niemi could give that Stanley Cup experience. Well on the flip side also do you think MAF would waive to come to Calgary to be part of a rebuild to end his career.

yes they can, but like i said as of today they don't have space. I don't see any teams lining up to trade for Niemi or Lehtonen so unles Dallas wants to buy them out i'm not sure they are going to move anywhere. Agree the need is thre, but is the opporutnity on the Stars side? maybe not.

If they give away Niemi or Lehtonen I could see a team doing that, something like a 6th or 7th round pick. Just to make it work, they want to win and need to do something drastic.

The Flames also have the pick of any team looking to get rid of a goalie. There aren't many other teams looking for one right now and if Calgary trades the 6th, then Fire Treliving because that's just as bad as Feaster deals.

That's one way to look at it and it's true.  Another fact is they currently don't have a Goalie under contract who's played a singe game !  Other GMs know this and maybe this is why the ridiculous offer of 6OA for Fleury. 

Is there something about Vasilevskiy I'm missing? If anything he has the same experience as Anderson if not less, comparable stats, yet some people seem sold on him.  Anyway 5.5mil is still too much for either of them.

Also, where does this new Czech (Rittich?) kid fit in? Aquire a seasoned starter with a high potential/low cost back up leaving both Ramo and Ortio in the wind?

Is there something about Vasilevskiy I'm missing? If anything he has the same experience as Anderson if not less, comparable stats, yet some people seem sold on him.  Anyway 5.5mil is still too much for either of them.

Also, where does this new Czech (Rittich?) kid fit in? Aquire a seasoned starter with a high potential/low cost back up leaving both Ramo and Ortio in the wind?

I don't think Vasilevskiy is starter material at this point.  He doesn't have a lot of NHL games under his belt and his NHL stats aren't great.

I think Rittich is expected to backup Gillies in Stockton.  I wouldn't expect much more from him.  He could even end up in the ECHL.

I expect Ortio to be the backup this season, and I don't believe Ramo will get an offer.

I don't think Vasilevskiy is starter material at this point.  He doesn't have a lot of NHL games under his belt and his NHL stats aren't great.

I think Rittich is expected to backup Gillies in Stockton.  I wouldn't expect much more from him.  He could even end up in the ECHL.

I expect Ortio to be the backup this season, and I don't believe Ramo will get an offer.

Vasilevskiy is starter material right now, his stats last year were OK but remember he lost time due to that blood clot issue. So he was rusty at from the get go. Ortio is not a capable backup unless we have a starter that can go 65-70 games, Ortio's career is going to follow Ramo's go to Europe build of the confidence and maybe make it back to the NHL. Ramo may get a tryout offer and see how the injury has healed to be the backup.

Buffalo needs a backup and both contracts end at the same time the big guns for Buffalo need new contracts.With Lehner's history of injuries they would want experience and someone like Niemi could give that Stanley Cup experience. Well on the flip side also do you think MAF would waive to come to Calgary to be part of a rebuild to end his career.

If they give away Niemi or Lehtonen I could see a team doing that, something like a 6th or 7th round pick. Just to make it work, they want to win and need to do something drastic.

Buffalo doesn't really have any holes in nets.  Lehner is fine as a 1a/1b goalie on a rebuilding team.  They also have Ulmark who played 20 games last year with a 0.913 SA%.  Add Chad Johnson who played 45 games with a 0.920 SA%.  He's a UFA, but a good option for a backup.  I see no need for Buffalo to go against their recent trend of being a young team bringing in quality young players.  

No team in their right mind takes either of Dallas' two goalies.  All they offer is possibly returning to form at a bargain price of $4.5m or $5.9m for two years.

Vasilevskiy is starter material right now, his stats last year were OK but remember he lost time due to that blood clot issue. So he was rusty at from the get go. Ortio is not a capable backup unless we have a starter that can go 65-70 games, Ortio's career is going to follow Ramo's go to Europe build of the confidence and maybe make it back to the NHL. Ramo may get a tryout offer and see how the injury has healed to be the backup.

Vasilevskiy has 40 NHL games under his belt, plus 7 starts in the playoffs over two years.  He's young for a goalie.  He has all of 36 games in the KHL and 37 games in the AHL.  Not exactly a big body of work.

I'm in no way trashing the goalie, just pointing out his limited experience.    

The thing is, all I hear on radio shows is how Calgary have options. I say no and take my chances with Reimer... If that's the price...

Reimer is similar to Bernier.  Don't really know if he is anything more than a backup.  Would be a shame to fix the rest of the roster holes and still have a big one in net.  He is really only the last option.  You trade for quality.  UFA's can ruin a club.

Reimer is similar to Bernier. Don't really know if he is anything more than a backup. Would be a shame to fix the rest of the roster holes and still have a big one in net. He is really only the last option. You trade for quality. UFA's can ruin a club.

I just don't see Reimer costing much due to it being the worst time to go UFA as a goalie.

I agree though, I said in the previous post that that doesn't fix things, but it gives Ortio more games, which we all know he needs to perform...

We also know Reimer has a history of being pretty good in short bursts as well. But that creates a goaltending two-headed monster.

That would be a decent tandem. Is our 2nd rounder too high in that trade? Or even for the Fleury deal?

The 6th overall has got to be posturing. But at the same time I don't see the Pens giving Fleury up for little, regardless of what I think of Fleury, and want nothing a part of.