s4xon

just where i figured he'd end up , and definitely our price would have been much higher..    but as mentioned , we just became a a reverse bidding situation , we're almost the final destination .  Unless Pittsburgh wants to lose Fleury for nothing or Reimer wants to be a backup the price just went WAY down . We just may be able to get them both LOL

The AAV on Andersen's new #leafs contract is in the low $5-millon range.

3 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

Between that and 2 2nd round picks, Andersen was a very pricey acquisition. I'm comfortable with the Flames not getting him seeing those 2 factors. 

Chris Johnston@reporterchris 55s56 seconds ago

The AAV on Andersen's new #leafs contract is in the low $5-millon range.

3 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

Between that and 2 2nd round picks, Andersen was a very pricey acquisition. I'm comfortable with the Flames not getting him seeing those 2 factors.

I am reading that is 5 years in length as well. I am guessing to get Andersen in the same division probably would have cost us all 3 2nds.

I think Fleury is the better goalie anyways and on a better term so hopefully we can make something happen there.

I am reading that is 5 years in length as well. I am guessing to get Andersen in the same division probably would have cost us all 3 2nds.

I think Fleury is the better goalie anyways and on a better term so hopefully we can make something happen there.

Agreed. Andersen was attractive based on his age and the potential of being a long term solution. But guys like Varlamov or Fleury might be better options for the Flames. The term is inline with the development of Gilles, the cost is lower, and they are more proven as NHL starters.

It sounds like 5.5M/ye.

I really feel like that's so much for how little experience he has. Around 125 games isn't very many for that high pay.

Yup. It puts the contract of Fleury and others in perspective. I budgeted 6 million for a starter. People told me I was nuts, but that is what it's going to cost.

I am still not sure MAF will agree to come here, if Pittsburgh asks him. We are rebuilding and still not a serious playoff contender and he is on the back end of his career and just had his name put on the cup. He is in the drivers seat with a limited NMC, I am sure he would only agree to go to a contender or stay put and play out this contract. Bishop, Vasilevskiy, Bernier, Elliot are some that we may be able to get, especially Bernier may come cheap now. I still would rather go after a younger guy and bring in a experience back up as well.

Agreed. Andersen was attractive based on his age and the potential of being a long term solution. But guys like Varlamov or Fleury might be better options for the Flames. The term is inline with the development of Gilles, the cost is lower, and they are more proven as NHL starters.

Yup. It puts the contract of Fleury and others in perspective. I budgeted 6 million for a starter. People told me I was nuts, but that is what it's going to cost.

The only thing I don't like about it is his NHL experience doesn't quite warrant it, and I know that was going to happen, but it doesn't mean I gotta like it.

I am still not sure MAF will agree to come here, if Pittsburgh asks him. We are rebuilding and still not a serious playoff contender and he is on the back end of his career and just had his name put on the cup. He is in the drivers seat with a limited NMC, I am sure he would only agree to go to a contender or stay put and play out this contract. Bishop, Vasilevskiy, Bernier, Elliot are some that we may be able to get, especially Bernier may come cheap now. I still would rather go after a younger guy and bring in a experience back up as well.

He has the no move, but how many teams in the league right now can guaratnee him the starting role? As of today I think Calgary is the only franchise that would be able to acquire Fleury AND commit he would be the number 1 guy. 

other's team can make room but they need to make room first. Flames don't so if he wants an opporutnity this is his best shot. having said that, I agree with you that he holds some cards and I don't think Pittsburgh needs to trade him either so we shall see.

I'll be suprised if the flames don't have a goalie though by this time next week. Everything i've heard or read points to them acquiring one via trade and not FA so I don't think we need to wait long. 

Murray is also protected from the expansion draft so Pittsburgh could just keep Fleury as their protected goalie with his NMC.

Based on what has been reported Murray will be eligible. His AHL years count towards his professional playing experience and he will have 3 years experience by the time the expansion draft is held. 

However, as I mentioned before a possible scenairo that does help them keep both is Penguins could ask Fleury to waive his NMC and expose himself to the draft. Questionable as to whether or not with all the goalies available an expansion team would want to take someone at his age/contract status so they could do that if Fleury agreed to it. Risky, but a possible loop hole for them to maybe keep both while Murray builds his resume as a starter. 

Based on what has been reported Murray will be eligible. His AHL years count towards his professional playing experience and he will have 3 years experience by the time the expansion draft is held. 

However, as I mentioned before a possible scenairo that does help them keep both is Penguins could ask Fleury to waive his NMC and expose himself to the draft. Questionable as to whether or not with all the goalies available an expansion team would want to take someone at his age/contract status so they could do that if Fleury agreed to it. Risky, but a possible loop hole for them to maybe keep both while Murray builds his resume as a starter.

I keep forgetting the AHL seasons. Guess it would depend on what they could get for him now. I would think the price went down significantly today though. Personally I would rather go with Reimer on a two year prove it contract for cheaper that way we aren't locked into anyone with a NMC for 3 more years like Fleury.

So then if you're Pittsburgh, do you sell Fleury now at a discount and put all your eggs in the Murray basket, or do you hold on to Fleury for another year to hedge your bets with Murray but risk losing him for nothing? Or even in that case, risk losing Murray if Fleury decides he's not going to waive his NMC 'cause he doesn't want to play for an expansion team. If I'm Pittsburgh, that option just seems too risky.

Oh, sure that is possible.  If he was claimed, they lose MAF for nothing.

The other thing is that why would MAF agree to waive his NMC to possibly get stuck in Vegas?  Very few expansion teams come in as anything more than a rebuilding team.  Would not be a contender for quite some time

How many goalies do you see Las Vegas picking in the expansion draft?  

It seems as many as 4 to 7 good quality goaltenders could potentially be exposed.  Like, will they really pick 4 goalies who all make $5-mil+?  While that's within their power to do so, it's not cap friendly.  If say, they decide to draft Bishop at $6-mil-per, then it's highly unlikely they will also take Fleury at $5.75-mil and then commit nearly $12-mil to goaltending.  

& then we sign Reimer as a UFA to reunite the TML pairing that worked so well. :lol:

He has the no move, but how many teams in the league right now can guaratnee him the starting role? As of today I think Calgary is the only franchise that would be able to acquire Fleury AND commit he would be the number 1 guy. 

other's team can make room but they need to make room first. Flames don't so if he wants an opporutnity this is his best shot. having said that, I agree with you that he holds some cards and I don't think Pittsburgh needs to trade him either so we shall see.

I'll be suprised if the flames don't have a goalie though by this time next week. Everything i've heard or read points to them acquiring one via trade and not FA so I don't think we need to wait long. 

Dallas could use a starter, they could get rid of Lehtonen or Niemi to a team that can afford a high priced backup like Buffalo. Both contracts are 2 years so it is not a long term commitment which will give Buffalo time to groom a backup. With what Dallas gave up for Kris Russell they are in a win now mode and will probably over pay for MAF if they chose. I could see Dallas moving their 1st rd pick and a prospect for MAF, and give Buffalo or what ever other team a choice of the two of their goalies for a mid level pick.

& then we sign Reimer as a UFA to reunite the TML pairing that worked so well. :lol:

Bernier is better than what we had last year, but like I said I would rather go after a younger goalie.

Dallas could use a starter, they could get rid of Lehtonen or Niemi to a team that can afford a high priced backup like Buffalo. Both contracts are 2 years so it is not a long term commitment which will give Buffalo time to groom a backup. With what Dallas gave up for Kris Russell they are in a win now mode and will probably over pay for MAF if they chose. I could see Dallas moving their 1st rd pick and a prospect for MAF, and give Buffalo or what ever other team a choice of the two of their goalies for a mid level pick.

Bernier is better than what we had last year, but like I said I would rather go after a younger goalie.

Dallas doesn't get any return calls from Pittsburg if they are looking to trade one of their goalies for MAF.  How do you propose that Dallas clears their two goalies if they are trading picks?  For one thing, there are not that many teams looking for a meh goalie on a bad contract.  Buffalo already traded for Lehner last year.

The other side of the coin is that MAF would never waive his NMC to go to Dallas as a 1a/1b goalie.

So as expected, Anaheim shipped Anderson as far away as possible. Calgary now can pretty much have their pick of any goalie available.

With that leverage, no way we go for Bernier.

One scenario we haven't really looked at, is far fetched but could happen. We talk of how Pittsburgh has to trade Fleury, but what if he flat out doesnt want to leave? He holds the cards, what if he just loves Pittsburgh, or has happened many times before his wife doesnt want to leave?

What if he goes to Rutherford and says hes not going anywhere, and guarantees hes protected in the expansion draft.

They would have to trade Murray.

It would be a D*** move, but its also his right with a NMC

THAT could be your unexpected move.

Unlikely? Yes very much so..but not impossible

So then if you're Pittsburgh, do you sell Fleury now at a discount and put all your eggs in the Murray basket, or do you hold on to Fleury for another year to hedge your bets with Murray but risk losing him for nothing? Or even in that case, risk losing Murray if Fleury decides he's not going to waive his NMC 'cause he doesn't want to play for an expansion team. If I'm Pittsburgh, that option just seems too risky.

Depends on the return. If teams are really low balling you then yes I might take the risk and go for it again next season. i think the reality is for Pittsburgh is they've got another year to go at it beofre they will need to make changes. Murray will need a new contract, Bonino, Daley UFa and Doumolin an RFA. Cap will force them to make chances, so i think ehre is alot of logic in them just saying "hey if we don't get what we want what is the value of keeping fleury and going at the up"? I mean whats a 3rd roun pick and a so/so prospect (what some are proposing) to a team trying to win a cup?

Oh, sure that is possible.  If he was claimed, they lose MAF for nothing.

The other thing is that why would MAF agree to waive his NMC to possibly get stuck in Vegas?  Very few expansion teams come in as anything more than a rebuilding team.  Would not be a contender for quite some time

Losing players for nothing is a reality of salary cap IMO becuase technically you don't lose them for "nothing" becuase you gain cap space everytime you lose a player. 

I don't know he would, but he may want to play and that would be a good hcance to play. also, whats to say he for sure get's claimed? Buzz around the league could easily be he won't get claimed. a 32 year old goalie with only 2 years left on his deal when they are probably going to be alot of goalies availalbe? may not be an attractive piece. 

How many goalies do you see Las Vegas picking in the expansion draft?  

It seems as many as 4 to 7 good quality goaltenders could potentially be exposed.  Like, will they really pick 4 goalies who all make $5-mil+?  While that's within their power to do so, it's not cap friendly.  If say, they decide to draft Bishop at $6-mil-per, then it's highly unlikely they will also take Fleury at $5.75-mil and then commit nearly $12-mil to goaltending.  

No more than 3 would make sense so i agree there is no guarantee Fleury gets claimed in an expansion draft. As i did said above too, a 32 year old goalie with only 2 years left on his deal may not be an ideal fit for an expansion team. 

yes they can, but like i said as of today they don't have space. I don't see any teams lining up to trade for Niemi or Lehtonen so unles Dallas wants to buy them out i'm not sure they are going to move anywhere. Agree the need is thre, but is the opporutnity on the Stars side? maybe not.