s4xon

Does anyone think Antti Raanta is ready to become a NHL starter?

26 years old, 64 GP over 3 seasons, 2.35 GAA, .914 SV%.

UFA coming off of a $800k contract.

VS

James Reimer

28 years old, 215 GP over 6 seasons, 2.79 GAA, .914 SV%.

UFA coming off of a $2M contract.

Does anyone think Antti Raanta is ready to become a NHL starter?

26 years old, 64 GP over 3 seasons, 2.35 GAA, .914 SV%.

UFA coming off of a $800k contract.

Potentially? Maybe. 

But those are Backup level games played. 

That's taking a huge risk with Ortio being the other goaltender likely to be signed. Two inexperienced guys whose numbers aren't bad, but are hardly stellar either. Very very risky. 

Reimer is someone who again I'd feel comfortable taking a risk on...if he was the only risk. 

That;'s the problem. Any of Ortio, Reimer or or Raanta could well develop into starters. But the reason we're not in the playoffs this year is goaltending. an we risk missing the playoffs again by taking a risk on two guys if neither works out? 

If both do fantastic, if one does we're fine. But if neither does? ouch. 

Its frustrating. During the Iggy/Kipper years we had the best RW in the league, and one of the most game-stealing goalies. 

What are the two things we need right now to have a team that could go deep into the playoffs? 

Reimer is someone who again I'd feel comfortable taking a risk on...if he was the only risk.

That;'s the problem. Any of Ortio, Reimer or or Raanta could well develop into starters. But the reason we're not in the playoffs this year is goaltending. an we risk missing the playoffs again by taking a risk on two guys if neither works out?

If both do fantastic, if one does we're fine. But if neither does? ouch.

Its frustrating. During the Iggy/Kipper years we had the best RW in the league, and one of the most game-stealing goalies.

What are the two things we need right now to have a team that could go deep into the playoffs?

We need a RW yes, but I think you're getting too caught up on that RW needing to be as good as Iggy. Gaudreau is in that place. What really hurt the team was not finding a center for Iginla, not a LW.

What we really need is a goalie, a winger for Bennett and to shore up the bottom6.

I am more than okay with pairs than trios.

Look at the Canucks with Bertuzzi, Morrison and Naslund. They were a great line sure, but they lacked depth to go the distance.

We need to shore up all lines.

• Like 1

We need a RW yes, but I think you're getting too caught up on that RW needing to be as good as Iggy. Gaudreau is in that place. What really hurt the team was not finding a center for Iginla, not a LW.

What we really need is a goalie, a winger for Bennett and to shore up the bottom6.

I am more than okay with pairs than trios.

Look at the Canucks with Bertuzzi, Morrison and Naslund. They were a great line sure, but they lacked depth to go the distance.

We need to shore up all lines.

Oh I'm not saying that we specifically need someone at Iginla's level, just someone who's good at that position as a power forward. 

Just pointing out the irony that powerforward RW and goaltender were our strengths for so long and are now the two holes we have. Go figure. 

I really hate the thing about "pairs", it means that every line has a weak link with whoever the tack on player is. Doesn't mean we need to have guys signed to 8 year contracts to play together for time immemorium or something. Just some level of consistency and chemistry with that third player. 

Obviously depth is as (or more) important than having any one perfect line, But if the option is between three trios and a grab bag, or four sets of pairs I take the three trios ever time because you know that the majority of the time you have a solid line out there for the role, rather than the constant risk of some weak link. 

Personal opinion. 

I like Anti Raanta, but as a backup not a starter and I don't see a potential starter in him. Should the Flames decide that they maybe Ortio isn't there guys and shop for 2 goalies, I don't mind looking at him as the backup but what worries me about Raanta is he's never been given a string of games and he's never really shown he should get a string of games. I don't think Reimer is a true starter either, but the one thing he has going for him is he's been giving a string of games and hes been the guy for a month or two at a time and he's performed. If i'm going to be on someone, I would much rather bet on that.

Having said that my interest in Reimer is tepid at best. I would want a short term deal 2-3 years and 3.5 or less and my preference would be to work the trade route first. 

• Like 1

I like Anti Raanta, but as a backup not a starter and I don't see a potential starter in him. Should the Flames decide that they maybe Ortio isn't there guys and shop for 2 goalies, I don't mind looking at him as the backup but what worries me about Raanta is he's never been given a string of games and he's never really shown he should get a string of games. I don't think Reimer is a true starter either, but the one thing he has going for him is he's been giving a string of games and hes been the guy for a month or two at a time and he's performed. If i'm going to be on someone, I would much rather bet on that.

Having said that my interest in Reimer is tepid at best. I would want a short term deal 2-3 years and 3.5 or less and my preference would be to work the trade route first. 

They hopefully aren't the only two out there? Who else might show up looking? Who does Hartley know; who might come if he calls? I don't know if I would like who comes if Brian Burke should call? It would be fine to get a proven guy so the team knows where they stand next year.

• Like 1

They hopefully aren't the only two out there? Who else might show up looking? Who does Hartley know; who might come if he calls? I don't know if I would like who comes if Brian Burke should call? It would be fine to get a proven guy so the team knows where they stand next year

FA is limited and I was just talking about the FA. There is no question the best way for the Flames to improve goaltending next year is via trade but its also very hard to speculate who exactly is going to be available. The only obvious trade candidate for me is Fredrick Anderson and maybe Darcy Kuemper but the rest is speculation. I think you are going to see names become available but there just aren't the obvious candidates this year there was last year with Talbot, Jones, Lack etc on the block. 

• Like 3

FA is limited and I was just talking about the FA. There is no question the best way for the Flames to improve goaltending next year is via trade but its also very hard to speculate who exactly is going to be available. The only obvious trade candidate for me is Fredrick Anderson and maybe Darcy Kuemper but the rest is speculation. I think you are going to see names become available but there just aren't the obvious candidates this year there was last year with Talbot, Jones, Lack etc on the block. 

That's what I was looking for. Where are Anderson and Kuemper at now? We will watch for a trade like those.

4013.jpg
Frederik Andersen | Goalie | #31
Team:  Anaheim Ducks Age / DOB: (26) / 10/2/1989 Ht / Wt: 6'4' / 220 Drafted: 2012 / Rd. 3 (87) / ANA Contract: view contract details Share: Tweet
ANA.png
Latest News
Recent News
It wouldn't be surprising to see Frederik Andersen play between the pipes in Game 3.
John Gibson got the nod in the Ducks' first two games of their series against Nashville and has a 3.08 GAA and .900 save percentage in those contests. With Anaheim now down 2-0, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau might attempt to mix things up with a goaltending change. Part of the luxury of having two capable starting goaltenders is that the Ducks wouldn't be downgrading by giving Andersen a chance. Apr 18 - 5:36 AM

Do we want another Duck throwaway goalie? Is there the makin's of more duck jinx there?

Player Page
3639.jpg
Darcy Kuemper | Goalie | #35
Team:  Minnesota Wild Age / DOB: (25) / 5/4/1990 Ht / Wt: 6'5' / 205 Drafted: 2009 / Rd. 6 (161) / MIN Contract: view contract details Share: Tweet
MIN.png
Latest News
Recent News
Darcy Kuemper saw the second half of Saturday's season finale, where he'd pick up the 2-1 loss to Calgary.
Kuemper turned away 17 of 19 shots, including all five on special teams. He finished the season with a 6-7-5 record with a .915 save percentage and a 2.43 GAA. Apr 10 - 2:00 AM

Frederik Andersen is 26 and has a .918 sv% for his career ,and a 2.33 GAA. Andersen is on a very good Anaheim team. His numbers aren’t likely to get any better on a poorer team. Do we already have a guy like this?

Darcy Kuemper has a career .912 sv%, and 2.47 GGA.

I have seen Andersen literally steal games from the Flames.  He played well on a team known for offense, and only recently have become a better defensive team.  I think he is a good fit for the Flames.  The cost is the real issue and why this may never happen.

The difficult situation for Anaheim is his contract.  He's a RFA and due a hefty raise.  If the Ducks are ousted early in the playoffs, they may choose to restructure their payroll, but they are in for some pain.  They have Vatanen and Lindholm up for big raises.  They have to re-sign Rakell.    They have to replace or re-sign Stewart, Perron, Pirri, McGinn and Horcoff.  A trade for futures would help them out.

• Like 1

I have seen Andersen literally steal games from the Flames.  He played well on a team known for offense, and only recently have become a better defensive team.  I think he is a good fit for the Flames.  The cost is the real issue and why this may never happen.

The difficult situation for Anaheim is his contract.  He's a RFA and due a hefty raise.  If the Ducks are ousted early in the playoffs, they may choose to restructure their payroll, but they are in for some pain.  They have Vatanen and Lindholm up for big raises.  They have to re-sign Rakell.    They have to replace or re-sign Stewart, Perron, Pirri, McGinn and Horcoff.  A trade for futures would help them out.

Always funny how we can bitterly disagree in theory, but when reality is applied, the list narrows substantially and leaves a lot less to bicker over.

Kuemper may be that last remaining obvious fix.   Right now.   And it creates an expansion draft risk.  Also...he's really NOT that guarantee we supposedly all argued about on here.   At the end of the day, we're talking about a guy younger than Ortio.

And we have no idea of the cost.

It's tough.

• Like 1

That is so true. It's not a case of reading the future but rather enjoying speculation without ultimately having the authority to act on it, nor having to directly suffer the consequences. There are many things happening behind the scene. It will be interesting to see who else becomes available and how the Flames brass decide to move.

Always funny how we can bitterly disagree in theory, but when reality is applied, the list narrows substantially and leaves a lot less to bicker over.

Kuemper may be that last remaining obvious fix.   Right now.   And it creates an expansion draft risk.  Also...he's really NOT that guarantee we supposedly all argued about on here.   At the end of the day, we're talking about a guy younger than Ortio.

It's tough.

• Like 1

we have no idea of the cost, but one thing that is worth mention is the Flames own a big chunk of the goalie market. The only teams I see realistically in the goalie market for anyone who is going to carry a cap hit are the Flames and ,the Hurricanes and maybe the Leafs. Everyone else either has some they recently gave up a fair bit for in trade, or has salary committed at the position that is going to make it difficult to get aggressive in the trade market. Not to mention if an expansion draft is a go ahead and teams want to try and deal their assets this summer rather than wait its only going to drive down prices. 

So while i agree we don't know the cost I also think we shouldn't assume the cost is going to be so high. With 4 picks in the top 60 and some decent depth I think the Flames have more than enough assets to acquire a goalie. 

For example I'm thinking Keumper goes for about a 2nd rounder. Thats a very reasonable price to pay IMO.

• Like 1

It's tough.

I don't back down from the idea that we need a top goalie now.  There are lots of options over going with a current backup and Ortio or another backup.  I expect BT will explore every top flight option.  The actual trade is an unknown, but it doesn't mean it won't happen. You have to pay to get better.  Settling for the cheapest option is not a great idea.  It just means we will be back here next year.

When I said the cost may be the reason for not getting Andersen, it was because of the in-division trade possibly drivin the cost or Anaheim may not be willing to deal with us.     

I could handle that.  If I was Chuck Fletcher, I'd say no.   But...I'm not.

Will depend on whether or not he has a choice or not. Is Keumper prepared to maybe sign for 2.5 or less and be a backup behind a busy goalie or is he looking for closer to 3 mill and the chance to play more?

I'm thinking its the latter and if so I don't think Fletcher will have much choice as I don't think he wants to be paying 3 million for a backup goalie. Could be wrong of course but my thinking with Keumper, as what happens with alot of goalies, is the GM's hand gets forced a bit.