s4xon

Are you agreeing or not.  I said you don't go longer than 3 years unless it's a Price type goalie.  Even to go more than two years is a risk.

If we had done that with Hiller or Ramo, where would we be?  That is the point.  A goalie can turn sour in a single year.  You have to guard against that happening.  EDM believes they have a great starter, but chose to only give him 3 years.  Martin Jones signed a 3 year deal.  I think you are seeing less and less long-term goalie contracts right now.  

I was more addressing what cross had proposed regarding Anderssen. With a young goalie with Anderssen's potential and you want to win him over in the negotiations a 3rd year usually bodes well. What I said was the importance is keeping the contract marketable.

I don't think Hiller or Ramo is relevant at this point if not only for the reason you point out they didn't work out. Firstly Hiller was a veteran plug that wasn't ever going to be kept past this contract and Ramo has now had his 3 years and there doesn't appear to be the confidence in him. Anderssen is coming from a winning environment, has shown real potential, is young enough to grow with this so yes I would go longer on him.

They gave up a 9th overall in a good draft year for him before he was a true #1 and that was far less than other teams were offering. Now he is a true starter.    

Who was offering what, do you have an inside track. Lou shocked the whole place Draft Day with that particular deal. Circumstances change for franchises all the time and NJ has some real thinking to consider this offseason.

My biggest free agent target would be Antti Raanta.  Lundqvist is under contract until 2020 and the Rangers also have Hellberg, Skapski, and Halverson under contract for next year and probably can't afford the 3 mill per that Raanta would be asking, maybe even as much as 4.5 per as a free agent.  Hard to say.

But a Raanta - Ortio, 1-2 punch would be pretty solid and they could both feed off each other...

I was more addressing what cross had proposed regarding Anderssen. With a young goalie with Anderssen's potential and you want to win him over in the negotiations a 3rd year usually bodes well. What I said was the importance is keeping the contract marketable.

I don't think Hiller or Ramo is relevant at this point if not only for the reason you point out they didn't work out. Firstly Hiller was a veteran plug that wasn't ever going to be kept past this contract and Ramo has now had his 3 years and there doesn't appear to be the confidence in him. Anderssen is coming from a winning environment, has shown real potential, is young enough to grow with this so yes I would go longer on him.

Who was offering what, do you have an inside track. Lou shocked the whole place Draft Day with that particular deal. Circumstances change for franchises all the time and NJ has some real thinking to consider this offseason.

It was widely reported that EDM offered 7th overall (Nurse pick) + a good prospect.  The prospect was believed to be Klefbom.  NJD got away with murder.

It was widely reported that EDM offered 7th overall (Nurse pick) + a good prospect.  The prospect was believed to be Klefbom.  NJD got away with murder.

I don't recall that but if you say so, did Schneider have any say ? He likely wanted no part of Edmonton. LOL

Lamarello likes him maybe he offers NJD the TOR 1st pick for him and signs Stamkos. This is how top GM's think.

I don't recall that but if you say so, did Schneider have any say ? He likely wanted no part of Edmonton. LOL

Lamarello likes him maybe he offers NJD the TOR 1st pick for him and signs Stamkos. This is how top GM's think.

No, Vancouver was "afraid" of trading him in-division.  Gillis had multiple offers, but it was only the EDM one that was mentioned, since it raised the ire of fans in both cities.  As far as Lou goes, he's pretty smart, so he's not going to trade a top 3 pick.  As far as NJ goes, I don`t think they can trade CS.  That is one of the few solid positions they have locked up.

No, Vancouver was "afraid" of trading him in-division.  Gillis had multiple offers, but it was only the EDM one that was mentioned, since it raised the ire of fans in both cities.  As far as Lou goes, he's pretty smart, so he's not going to trade a top 3 pick.  As far as NJ goes, I don`t think they can trade CS.  That is one of the few solid positions they have locked up.

Schneider is about all they have, their GM has some serious work to rebuild that roster. I was hoping BT could pawn some of our unwanted players there, even for picks.

I don't put anything past Lou or the fact that they are in TOR which has never really tolerated rebuilding. Those fans want instant gratification every year. Can you see Stamkos signing there unless they show some early signs of truly wanting to compete ? Lou may not use that 1st pick but they will be out there in the market for a top goalie.

I don't think Schneider is going to be available. Devils are better off than people think. Their blueline is quite young and very solid and that and Schnneider give them a chance. They need some help up front, but do have Pavel Zacha coming too so I think trading Schneider takes them backwards. Makes no sense to move him unless flames really overpaid

That is one scary contract. $6m for another 6 years.

I don't think the contract is as scary as the fact he is about 30 and when the contract ends, he will be 36. In all likelihood, we only get him for 5 or 6 years and is it worth it to sell the farm, our 1st this year plus a high prospect and maybe more?

If it was Sam Bennett, we trade his whole career for a 5 year goaltender...

Schneider is about all they have, their GM has some serious work to rebuild that roster. I was hoping BT could pawn some of our unwanted players there, even for picks.

I don't put anything past Lou or the fact that they are in TOR which has never really tolerated rebuilding. Those fans want instant gratification every year. Can you see Stamkos signing there unless they show some early signs of truly wanting to compete ? Lou may not use that 1st pick but they will be out there in the market for a top goalie.

I don't agree that Toronto is impatient in a rebuild. They're the most loyal fans in the NHL when it comes to supporting a losing team.

I think Burke went about it wrong thinking that's what the fans wanted but missed his mark and set the time frame back about ten years. Competitive just enough to just miss the playoffs.

They need to rebuild right. That team has no reason to have sucked for 50 years.

I don't think the contract is as scary as the fact he is about 30 and when the contract ends, he will be 36. In all likelihood, we only get him for 5 or 6 years and is it worth it to sell the farm, our 1st this year plus a high prospect and maybe more?

I don't agree that Toronto is impatient in a rebuild. They're the most loyal fans in the NHL when it comes to supporting a losing team.

I think Burke went about it wrong thinking that's what the fans wanted but missed his mark and set the time frame back about ten years. Competitive just enough to just miss the playoffs.

They need to rebuild right. That team has no reason to have sucked for 50 years.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

It seems like Peter Budaj is too good to be in the A. Just saying.

Is he the answer? Pretty much of course not. But can he help us gap a season to a better ufa list next year and opening cap space?

Before you hack it to bits, it's a thought, not a solution. A cheap alternative.

I was thinking about that too. He has been decent in the NHL.

9908410ea404dae105a3f2e47ee50aa1.png

was thinking about that too. He has been decent in the NHL.

Budaj Had a lousy season for the IceCaps in 1014-15 followed by having the best stats of his career with the Reign this season, then he gets one game with the Kings and poops the crease...

He`s 33 years old and has had a mediocre NHL career...   I just don`t think he is even close to being an answer for the Flames and wouldn`t even want to see him taking up a roster spot with the heat...   He might put up good numbers there, but they have a couple of prospects to develop...

The last thing the Flames need is another aging reclamation project in net...   Think Hiller 2.0...

774013fa257f22b102079cdba2332a95.png

759a7f9de429ba8b1c5b1d96914aac87.png

As Price's backup in MTL, I thought he was great.

That seems to be the breaking point for him where he couldn't get out from under.

Perhaps. I wonder that.

As I said, not a solution, but buying time.

At 33, look at his year with Ontario.

What I get to thinking that could also mean, is Peter Budaj decided "screw this".

So I wonder, is that not what we're looking for?

UFA isn't great, the position is open. He is 33. I get all that.

Goalies are about what is in their head.

I'd be more inclined to Budaj wanting a job than say, Ramo trying to keep one, if you know what I mean.

It seems like Peter Budaj is too good to be in the A. Just saying.

Is he the answer? Pretty much of course not. But can he help us gap a season to a better ufa list next year and opening cap space?

Before you hack it to bits, it's a thought, not a solution. A cheap alternative.

I suggested him a while back and got shot down some saying he wasn't even an NHLer. Still his numbers are impressive this season and I still think he could give us a couple of good seasons. He is what 4th on the LA Depth chart?

Let's do Stajan and Bollig for Bernier.

Let's do Stajan and Bollig for Bernier.

I suggested Hiller for Bernier straight up, back when we still had a chance to make the playoffs.  Nobody here seemed interested then.  He's expensive for a so-so starter, but only one year left.  I doubt he could be had for a cap dump. And I doubt they want (or Stajan would agree) him now.

I suggested Hiller for Bernier straight up, back when we still had a chance to make the playoffs.  Nobody here seemed interested then.  He's expensive for a so-so starter, but only one year left.  I doubt he could be had for a cap dump. And I doubt they want (or Stajan would agree) him now.

NOBODY wanted or wants Hiller, non starter to your suggestion. TOR not unlike ourselves may be looking to start fresh with another starter or two. Stajan is good for a rebuilding team (his presence here helped more than we know), he is from ONT so I don't think he would balk to move back. Bollig could fight all Kadri's battles for him. Bernier with a change of scenery could work here.

I still like the idea of getting Brian Elliott STL but whether we have the trade material to get him is doubtful.

NOBODY wanted or wants Hiller, non starter to your suggestion. TOR not unlike ourselves may be looking to start fresh with another starter or two. Stajan is good for a rebuilding team (his presence here helped more than we know), he is from ONT so I don't think e would balk to move back. Bollig could fight all Kadri's battles for him. Bernier with a change of scenery could work here.

I still like the idea of getting Brian Elliott STL but whether we have the trade material to get him is doubtful.

At that point TO had a goalie that was without many wins.  Hiller would have been a way to rid themselves of a goalie contract a year sooner.  Nobody HERE wanted Bernier.  

I like Elliottt, but seeing how well he has played this year and in the playoffs, STL is not likely to want to trade him.

Leafs would have no interest in Stajan. They are deep down the middle in NHL players with Bozak, Kadri, Holland, Laich and guys like Marner and Nykander that they want to try at center. Too that off with getting maybe Mathews or stamkos they don't need more centres and no reason to take stajans contract as the floor isn't an issue for them either.

I

As I've said before in not a big Bernier fan and the only way I would consider acquiring him is to ship a contract back to the leafs. The only player I could see the leafs having some interest in from the flames, who carries a contract, is Bouma and I'm not making that trade personally. I'd rather keep Bouma and get a goalie in fa or other trade than Bernier. I think even guys like carter Hutton or Reimer would be better gets in fa than Bernier.

I think Elliot would be a good fit and a good target but the asking price would worry me. The blues really have no reason to trade Elliott so I think they would ask for more and at 30 years old and a pending UFA next offseason I'm not interested in paying a lot for Elliott. The most I'd give up is a 3rd and a decent prospect or bottom 6 roster player but I don't see why the blues would do that.

At that point TO had a goalie that was without many wins.  Hiller would have been a way to rid themselves of a goalie contract a year sooner.  Nobody HERE wanted Bernier.  

I like Elliottt, but seeing how well he has played this year and in the playoffs, STL is not likely to want to trade him.

Depends what they feel their other needs are in order to get better

Leafs would have no interest in Stajan. They are deep down the middle in NHL players with Bozak, Kadri, Holland, Laich and guys like Marner and Nykander that they want to try at center. Too that off with getting maybe Mathews or stamkos they don't need more centres and no reason to take stajans contract as the floor isn't an issue for them either.

I

As I've said before in not a big Bernier fan and the only way I would consider acquiring him is to ship a contract back to the leafs. The only player I could see the leafs having some interest in from the flames, who carries a contract, is Bouma and I'm not making that trade personally. I'd rather keep Bouma and get a goalie in fa or other trade than Bernier. I think even guys like carter Hutton or Reimer would be better gets in fa than Bernier.

I think Elliot would be a good fit and a good target but the asking price would worry me. The blues really have no reason to trade Elliott so I think they would ask for more and at 30 years old and a pending UFA next offseason I'm not interested in paying a lot for Elliott. The most I'd give up is a 3rd and a decent prospect or bottom 6 roster player but I don't see why the blues would do that.

You are right, I went and relooked at their situation. Who could use a player like Stajan, we have to get rid of him ?

We may end up going with Reimer as another look see bandaid to our Goalie situation.

Depends what they feel their other needs are in order to get better

You are right, I went and relooked at their situation. Who could use a player like Stajan, we have to get rid of him ?

We may end up going with Reimer as another look see bandaid to our Goalie situation.

The Jets.

With 2 years @ 3.125 just don't expect a worthwhile return.

The Jets.

With 2 years @ 3.125 just don't expect a worthwhile return.

At this point salary clearing is a worthwhile return. 

Heck, an AHL level prospect or low pick I'd even be OK with. Makes space for Grant, Shore or Arnold to center Bouma and Hathaway ad we suddenly have a much more interesting 4th line.