s4xon

Hartley just realized that he was making too much sense with the goalie rotation.  Time to come back down from his senses.  So they are back to a "schedule" with Backstrom, Hiller, Backstrom as the next three starters.  You can't make this stuff up.  

https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/status/711588372150521856

So next three #Flames starters in net are Backstrom, Hiller, Backstrom. Didn't see that coming.

Apparently they agreed to give Backstrom starts in exchange for him waiving his NMC (no surprise).  As a classy gesture they are giving him a start against his former team (Minnesota) but wanted to give him a warm up game today.  

Which is fine I guess.  Except "Always Earned, Never Given" is turning into "Sometimes Earned, Occasionally Given" which is too bad given how hard the Flames have been playing.  It also requires a lot of squinting to see this as anything but a tank. Playing your cold hand against the bad teams on the road before returning to Ortio for the tough games ...  

Apparently they agreed to give Backstrom starts in exchange for him waiving his NMC (no surprise).  As a classy gesture they are giving him a start against his former team (Minnesota) but wanted to give him a warm up game today.  

Which is fine I guess.  Except "Always Earned, Never Given" is turning into "Sometimes Earned, Occasionally Given" which is too bad given how hard the Flames have been playing.  It also requires a lot of squinting to see this as anything but a tank. Playing your cold hand against the bad teams on the road before returning to Ortio for the tough games ...

I think part of the "schedule" all along has been th want to test Ortio and see what they have. I don't think you learn anything by Ortio playing well against Toronto or Arizona, but you do when he plays well against Piitsburgh, Chicago, LA or Anaheim. I'd much rather see what he can do in those games because that is going to tell you what you have.

• Like 1

I think part of the "schedule" all along has been th want to test Ortio and see what they have. I don't think you learn anything by Ortio playing well against Toronto or Arizona, but you do when he plays well against Piitsburgh, Chicago, LA or Anaheim. I'd much rather see what he can do in those games because that is going to tell you what you have.

Ortio has enough games in now to be a RFA.  Only Flames goalie under control come July 1st.  I have no issue with playing Backstrom, as he agreed to the trade because of a promise.  If Hiller gets more than the Toronto game, then I have a big problem.  No point in worrying about until after the Minny game.

Ortio has enough games in now to be a RFA.  Only Flames goalie under control come July 1st.  I have no issue with playing Backstrom, as he agreed to the trade because of a promise.  If Hiller gets more than the Toronto game, then I have a big problem.  No point in worrying about until after the Minny game.

Agreed. Especially considering all the worrying and complaining here about the "schedule" has been wasted energy. Hartley has handled it really well IMO.

• Like 2

Agreed. Especially considering all the worrying and complaining here about the "schedule" has been wasted energy. Hartley has handled it really well IMO.

Not to suck up, but I'd plus 10 if I could. No one ever wants another Hiller start, but we have to look at what we can take away moving into next year.

Im actually on board .. Ortio needed a break, and it makes sense that Backstrom gets the Minny start, in the mantime if you gotta Play Hiller , why not against the worst team in the league?

Also , i disagree that Backstrom is being tossed a bone here.. ive said it before, if people think its a foregone conclusion the flames intend to walk away from him at season end, they're not ..i still believe his name is in the mix for next season .. how he plays his set of games will decide that 

I wonder if they are looking @ Backstrom as goalie coach/associate coach.

i could even see that if his play isn't where it needs to be.. one of the best Finnish tenders  to ever play cant be a bad addition to a goalie that comes from Finland too and idolized bott him and Kipper

• Like 1

I wonder if they are looking @ Backstrom as goalie coach/associate coach.

Great minds think alike (or the other side of that saying).  I think we need to replace the current goalie coach.  Not saying our goalies' performance is tied to the existing one, but it never hurts to consider change.

• Like 1

Great minds think alike (or the other side of that saying).  I think we need to replace the current goalie coach.  Not saying our goalies' performance is tied to the existing one, but it never hurts to consider change.

couldn't agree more..im still trying to figure out why Sean Burke is still looking for work.. hes the perfect candidate for here, and with BT must have a good rapport

hmm..interesting piece of trivia from wiki on Burke....   "Burke was placed on waivers by Tampa Bay before the 2006–07 NHL season, but was not picked up. He then played for the Lightning's American Hockey League affiliate Springfield Falcons. However, he struggled with the Falcons and lost his starting job to Karri Ramo".

Im actually on board .. Ortio needed a break, and it makes sense that Backstrom gets the Minny start, in the mantime if you gotta Play Hiller , why not against the worst team in the league?

Also , i disagree that Backstrom is being tossed a bone here.. ive said it before, if people think its a foregone conclusion the flames intend to walk away from him at season end, they're not ..i still believe his name is in the mix for next season .. how he plays his set of games will decide that

He was terrible at 37 before not playing for a year. Ramo is a MUCH better option. Hiller is a better option. There is nothing he can do in the two or three games left to earn a contract.

He was terrible at 37 before not playing for a year. Ramo is a MUCH better option. Hiller is a better option. There is nothing he can do in the two or three games left to earn a contract.

I do like Ramo, notwithstanding injury-recovery issues.  I believe injury were also what killed Backstrom before last year, so I'm not putting much stock into his poor play that year.

he was also injured.. like i said im not expecting miracles.. but i virtually guarantee if he has a superb showing today the bandwagon will blow a tire for the amount of people piling onto it..

he was also injured.. like i said im not expecting miracles.. but i virtually guarantee if he has a superb showing today the bandwagon will blow a tire for the amount of people piling onto it..

I doubt that. He is a 38 year old goalie. If the Flames sign him the bandwagon will erupt even if he plays well for his two or three games.

I doubt that. He is a 38 year old goalie. If the Flames sign him the bandwagon will erupt even if he plays well for his two or three games.

this was pretty good for a 38 yr old goaltender:

Season Age Tm Lg GP GS W L T/O GA SA SV SV% GAA SO MIN QS QS% RBS GA%- GSAA GPS G A PTS PIM

2003-04 39 DET NHL 14   8 3 2 30 324 294 .907 2.20 2 817           1.8 0 2 2 2

and yes, i am comparing the 2...that was after  being away 2 years.. and in case you want to point out it was only 14 games.. this is what he did at 40

2005-06 41 OTT NHL 43   28 10 4 90 1202 1112 .925 2.09 5 2584       76 28.68 10.3 0 0 0 16

just saying age is not a factor.. if you're in shape, have the drive ,and the skill.. then its a moot point.. and hes said more than once, he will only want to play next year if he can play at the level he knows he can . At his best , he was as elite as they come.

Does he still have it ?.. again .. no clue he may get shelled for a .700 today and this conversation is over.. or.. he may show us we have an option of 1 year from one of the best ever .. we shall see, but if you're just going to base it off age.. then that by itself is a bad argument

Heck, we were even able to get one good year out of Hiller, why not someone who was at least twice as good?

this was pretty good for a 38 yr old goaltender:

Season Age Tm Lg GP GS W L T/O GA SA SV SV% GAA SO MIN QS QS% RBS GA%- GSAA GPS G A PTS PIM

2003-04 39 DET NHL 14   8 3 2 30 324 294 .907 2.20 2 817           1.8 0 2 2 2

and yes, i am comparing the 2...that was after  being away 2 years.. and in case you want to point out it was only 14 games.. this is what he did at 40

2005-06 41 OTT NHL 43   28 10 4 90 1202 1112 .925 2.09 5 2584       76 28.68 10.3 0 0 0 16

just saying age is not a factor.. if you're in shape, have the drive ,and the skill.. then its a moot point.. and hes said more than once, he will only want to play next year if he can play at the level he knows he can . At his best , he was as elite as they come.

Does he still have it ?.. again .. no clue he may get shelled for a .700 today and this conversation is over.. or.. he may show us we have an option of 1 year from one of the best ever .. we shall see, but if you're just going to base it off age.. then that by itself is a bad argument

Heck, we were even able to get one good year out of Hiller, why not someone who was at least twice as good?

OK, I'm biting.  Who are these goalies?

couldn't agree more..im still trying to figure out why Sean Burke is still looking for work.. hes the perfect candidate for here, and with BT must have a good rapport

hmm..interesting piece of trivia from wiki on Burke....   "Burke was placed on waivers by Tampa Bay before the 2006–07 NHL season, but was not picked up. He then played for the Lightning's American Hockey League affiliate Springfield Falcons. However, he struggled with the Falcons and lost his starting job to Karri Ramo".

He doesn't want to be a goalie coach he wants to work in a front office in some capacity. I agree it be great to get him in the organization but it wouldn't be as goalie coach. If Treliving and he worked well together I think best case you could have him as a special assistant to GM and use his inout to hire a coach and run a program.

He doesn't want to be a goalie coach he wants to work in a front office in some capacity. I agree it be great to get him in the organization but it wouldn't be as goalie coach. If Treliving and he worked well together I think best case you could have him as a special assistant to GM and use his inout to hire a coach and run a program.

works for me!  if hes overseeing the goal coaches.. maybe goalie scouting and / or developement thats almost as good.. plus hes right up the hall from Hockey Canada if he wants to assist there as well

Ramo had a better SV% this season than Backstrom had in 2013-14...   Same for Ortio...

Ramo had a better SV% this season than Backstrom had in 2013-14... Same for Ortio...

Ya well he looked pretty solid tonight.like it or not he just put his name into the conversation

Again..he was playing with injury..his team in front of him was also garbage that year

I swear I want to see Ramo go to a great team next year just so his save percentage can jump so I can shake my head at all the people here who will be saying "why didn't he play like that for us"

Kipper had about an. 880 sv% and a losing record in San Jose.. I swear if that trade were to be suggested today people would be having strokes because, after all, save percentage says everything about the goalie and nothing about the team right?

Ya well he looked pretty solid tonight.like it or not he just put his name into the conversation

Again..he was playing with injury..his team in front of him was also garbage that year

I swear I want to see Ramo go to a great team next year just so his save percentage can jump so I can shake my head at all the people here who will be saying "why didn't he play like that for us"

Kipper had about an. 880 sv% and a losing record in San Jose.. I swear if that trade were to be suggested today people would be having strokes because, after all, save percentage says everything about the goalie and nothing about the team right?

If there was a 38 year old goalie playing for another team with a few good games how high would he be in the conversation? What if he hasn't had a good season since 2011/2012? What if he had over a year off due to poor play and injury and was a reluctant backup before that. Would a few good games for a non playoff team down the stretch convince you he is a better option then the multitude of guys that are also available?

We might as well pull Kipper out of retirement. They are the same age and have played almost the same number of games over the past few years. They were also both relevant in about the same time period.

Backstrom is an impractical option and there is nothing he can do in the few games he will get to change that.