s4xon

But, it's not a goalie's job to mentor anyone. If they're sent to the AHL, do you think that's what they want to do or are thinking?

If you sign a deal in the NHL, there is always a chance you will get demoted.  If Hiller was the guy sent down, he is going to do everything to show he is a team guy.  Taking a pouter doesn't do that.  Working with a player does.  

Just really throwing out possibles.  Signing Ramo is a sign that either Hiller has lost the spot, or they don't think Ortio is close to being ready.

If you sign a deal in the NHL, there is always a chance you will get demoted.  If Hiller was the guy sent down, he is going to do everything to show he is a team guy.  Taking a pouter doesn't do that.  Working with a player does.  

Just really throwing out possibles.  Signing Ramo is a sign that either Hiller has lost the spot, or they don't think Ortio is close to being ready.

I don't think is quite that black and white, there is some more gray. I do agree that it is a case they've lost some faith in Hiller and they should have. While Hiller was great to start the year and I think played a large part in giving he team confidence, the fact is he was average at best down the stretch and not very good in the playoffs. So rightfully so, the Flames should not have complete faith in Hiller, but with Ortio I don't agree its a case of them thinking he is not cloe to being ready. The Flames, as do alot of teams, view goaltending as a premium position and not one you want to take a lot of chances with. Ortio is a chance. he has looked great at times in the NHL and has had great success in the AHL but remember last off season some people thought Ortio might be ready and he came in and had a sub par camp, IMO at least. If he does that again and they didn't bring back Ramo where does that put the Flames goaltending? You are either scrambling to find a verteran option of waviers, trade etc or you stick an unprepared Ortio in there and are one injury away from haivng to use a rookie in Gilles.  I think signing Ramo was an insurance policy. an expensive one yes, but if money is not an object (which it isn't this year) why not keep a guy you know then roll the dice on someone you don't?

In my opinion I think this is a make or break year for Ortio. Not so much as in they will cut him loose but more along the lines of if he has another weak camp like he did last year I see BT having no issue in waiving him. I can't see any team wanting an unproven goaltender who has weak camps. This leaves us with our tandem from last year and if management has lost faith in Hiller then I think we see movement on a trade to maybe go out and get that starter we need.

If Ortio has a good camp though and shows he is NHL ready then I think management has some big questions to answer. You won't want to waive a young NHL ready tender so either Ramo or Hiller gets traded or demoted. I think, personally, that they should in this case trade Hiller. Get some value rather than lose him on the waiver wire. Any picks for him would be a plus as we would be wiping his salary off the books.

The most worrisome scenario however is if Ramo has a weak camp and Ortio shows he is not ready. Sure we can go with Hiller as the starter and Ramo the back-up but I think this will be the ultimate scenario that pushes BT into a trade. I still believe our weakest position right now is in the crease. We don't have that goalie who can steal you games or show that he can put forth a sustained run of top quality netminding. We have Gillies in the wings but he is at minimum 2 years away.

The Flames have to decide on when they feel their window of opportunity for being a Cup contender is. I believe they have established their core, or will have by season's end, but a lot depends on how we do this year. So the organization has to look at all positions to be sure they are comfortable on pushing for championships. I don't feel like the Flames are happy with their goaltending or comfortable in saying these are the guys we will win Cups with. That's why I feel like there is a trade to be made because I don't think the Flames want to wait two more years to see if a rookie goalie can lead them to the promise land.

I'm initially very surprised, and disapointed with the training camp goaltender split.

Why would they put Ortio and Gillies on the same team, and give each of Hiller/Ramo their own team?

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=779448&navid=DL|CGY|home

Are these must-win games?  Why not give Ortio and Gillies each optimum minutes at this stage?

Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm initially very surprised, and disapointed with the training camp goaltender split.

Why would they put Ortio and Gillies on the same team, and give each of Hiller/Ramo their own team?

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=779448&navid=DL|CGY|home

Are these must-win games?  Why not give Ortio and Gillies each optimum minutes at this stage?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Your arn't going to like this JJ but the reality is the goaltending battle does not include Gilles. The goaltending battle is between Hiller/Ramo and Ortio so yes it does make senes that all 3 have their own teams as then it will maximize the amount of time all 3 get to try and win the job.

Ortio needs to win the job so if he needs more mnutes then HIller/Ramo to show he is the guy then i would question his performance in the first place. Gilles is here to get a taste of the NHL and a training camp, his place is Stockton this year. Doens' make sense to give him more minutes over guys who will actually play in the NHL this year.

Your arn't going to like this JJ but the reality is the goaltending battle does not include Gilles. The goaltending battle is between Hiller/Ramo and Ortio so yes it does make senes that all 3 have their own teams as then it will maximize the amount of time all 3 get to try and win the job.

Ortio needs to win the job so if he needs more mnutes then HIller/Ramo to show he is the guy then i would question his performance in the first place. Gilles is here to get a taste of the NHL and a training camp, his place is Stockton this year. Doens' make sense to give him more minutes over guys who will actually play in the NHL this year.

Hello cross,

At this stage, I'm actually okay with that (I still think Gillies should be given a pre-season game, but that's just me).

But don't you find it odd, then, that Gillies was listed as the starter over Ortio?  Or am I reading too much into the formatting of the roster list?

Hello cross,

At this stage, I'm actually okay with that (I still think Gillies should be given a pre-season game, but that's just me).

But don't you find it odd, then, that Gillies was listed as the starter over Ortio?  Or am I reading too much into the formatting of the roster list?

I think you reading too much into the formatting of the roster list. I don't think that list means much...

I would be surprised if you don't see Gilles, and probably Mason macondald, get some preseason action. i don't they get a full game but I think they get at least half of one, just the majority of time will go to Ramo, Ortio and Hiller baring injury.

Gillies was SO awesome in the Youngstars Tourny that he "should" get a start in pre-season just because,

1. Management needs to see where he is against NHLers.
  2. Gillies needs to see where he is against NHLers.
  3. The Fans need to see where he is against NHLers.

Everyone involved with Gillies needs to know where his place is right now.  If he's good enough, then no one should be surprised with a 21-year-old goalie starting in the NHL.

According to Vickers, Gillies is under concussion protocol.

45]

Pat Steinberg retweeted

45]

Vzk_8-k-_bigger.jpgAaron Vickers@AAVickers 5h5 hours ago

#Flames G Jon Gillies under concussion protocol following hit sustained against Dinos on Wednesday.

5 retweets3 favorites

Retweet

Favorite

More

Man that sucks. Hopefully it's not real serious. Kind of makes you want to rethink these kinds of games. Is it necessary to subject your young stars to meaningless games where they have the opportunity to get hurt.

Man that sucks. Hopefully it's not real serious. Kind of makes you want to rethink these kinds of games. Is it necessary to subject your young stars to meaningless games where they have the opportunity to get hurt.

It's not the first time there's been issues playing universities  / colleges.  Generally may not be the best idea to play them against players that will never be in the NHL but desperately wish they were, and have nothing to lose in their one and only game against NHLers.

Obviously it was an accident, but running goaltenders is a matter of lack of caution.

Something I think we're forgetting about the goaltending is that when either Hiller or Ramo start their run of games, their first two games are usually lights out, the third game is mediocre but sometimes they find a way to win. Those 4th or 5th straight starts seem to be quite week.  

Understanding that that's not starter quality, they're great in the roles they're playing. Those 4th or 5th games in a row are the games that bring up their GAA and drops their save %. I'd even go so far as saying that it's the 3rd straight start where the numbers begin to drop or rise. 

I think Hartley should try manage them a tad differently this year. 

I guess that could go against the earned mantra. But they can alway go right back with the goalie that just had a winning streak, but possibly refreshed!

Something I think we're forgetting about the goaltending is that when either Hiller or Ramo start their run of games, their first two games are usually lights out, the third game is mediocre but sometimes they find a way to win. Those 4th or 5th straight starts seem to be quite week.  

Understanding that that's not starter quality, they're great in the roles they're playing. Those 4th or 5th games in a row are the games that bring up their GAA and drops their save %. I'd even go so far as saying that it's the 3rd straight start where the numbers begin to drop or rise. 

I think Hartley should try manage them a tad differently this year. 

I guess that could go against the earned mantra. But they can alway go right back with the goalie that just had a winning streak, but possibly refreshed!

This year could be a challenge for Hartley.  Three goalies who could all battle for #1.  Or no goalies really taking the reins.

In the last two years, Hartley has been pretty consistent in goalie starts the last two years; go with a goalie and keep starting him even when he loses a game (if the goals were not all his fault).  Two loses in a row would signal a change.