s4xon

Starter options are dwindling. I think the only teams that could maybe look for a starter, or someone to play significant games other than Calgary would be:

Carolina - Cam Ward aging

Maybe Philly to play alongside Mason but cap is an issue for them

Everyone else looks pretty set in net so if Ramo wants to play in the NHL coming back to Calgary is likely his best shot.

I think we're back to keeping Hiller, re-signing Ramo (my number would be $3.4M/yr for 2 years), and hope Orito will clear waivers at the start of the season.

Possibly trade Hiller at the 2015/2016 trade deadline if the other two goalies are playing well.

Starter options are dwindling. I think the only teams that could maybe look for a starter, or someone to play significant games other than Calgary would be:

Everyone else looks pretty set in net so if Ramo wants to play in the NHL coming back to Calgary is likely his best shot.

scratch Carolina-- they Got Eddie Lack

Its looking like Calgary has pick of Ramo or Neuvirth on a 3ish year deal to platoon with Hiller. There is no one else left that is looking to add a goalie to a good part of a platoon.

Ideally they deal Hiller at deadline and bring Ortio up.

Gillies then becomes starting in AHL for next couple years until decision needs to be made on NHL goalies.

McDonald then takes over in AHL crease if no better prospect has emerged.

Goalie spots left:

• Arizona needs strict backup to Smith
  • Chicago has backup to Crawford open (will be taken by Darling) CHI signed Leighton to minimum contract as Darling can still do AHL.
  • LA has a backup spot to Quick open (wont be looking to spend much on UFA due to cap and may have AHLer Berube ready to promote)
  • Islanders have spot open to pair with Halak. Halak at 4.5M likely means Islanders cant spend too much on partner for an equal or minor share of platoon.
  • Philly has spot open to pair with Mason. Mason has 4.1M and Philly is tight on cap (less than 7mil to spend on Del Zotto and goalie)
  • Pitts has backup to Fleury spot open (will be spending minimum on backup)
  • St Louis has spot open to pair with Brian Elliot. (The also have 25 yr old RFA Jake Allen though who is likely cheaper and just as talented as any UFA so highly unlikely they add).
  • Tampa has backup to Bishop spot open (and zero dollars to spend on one, so basically think NHL minimum contracts)
  • Toronto has spot open to pair with Reimer (but is in arbitration with Bernier, so if they sign a goalie it means Bernier is walking)
  • Washington has spot open to start over Justin Peters (They also have RFA starter Brandon Holtby though so unlikely to add)

So of all the teams with spots technically "open" the only other teams that may be willing to spend 3-4M on a goalie is the Islanders and I can see them getting a guy like Viktor Fasth or Nabokov for like 2.5M over 3 years instead.

Really when it comes to Ramo and Neuvirth we are mostly bidding against KHL teams and with the way the Russian economy and political situation is we have all the leverage here.

I would whichever of these guys takes around a 4year 3M AAV deal.

Carolina has Lack now.

This is perfect, good money, show me time. All 3 main goalies on same term now.we can decide by end of next season who we keep, and see how Gillies looks his first year as a pro.

BT does it again!

I like the deal, as it makes three guys need to be their best in TC.  TBH, I think that the coach and BT lost faith in Hiller, so he may be a trade in waiting.

I think that the Sharks traded for and signed Jones to be that #1 goalie.  Think they are out.

Could have some merit, takes guts to throw your weight behind a guy with less than 20 NHL starts. Even Edmonton has Scrivens to bail out Talbot.

Hiller could be a great fit and mentor to Jones. Not pushing for his trade, but for the right return its a deal id make

• Like 1

If a player gets sent down 12 days (?) prior to the season opener, he's waiver exempt.  This could be the plan for Ortio.

Or, maybe BT wanted to wrap up his assets so he could trade a goalie rather than lose Ramo to free agency.  Maybe he'll bundle one of our goalies along with a bad contract.

Could have some merit, takes guts to throw your weight behind a guy with less than 20 NHL starts. Even Edmonton has Scrivens to bail out Talbot.

Hiller could be a great fit and mentor to Jones. Not pushing for his trade, but for the right return its a deal id make

Totally agree. Jones signed 3 mil each for 3 years for yet a still largely unproven goalie. TSN is calling him the starter. But whos behind him? I know nothing about Stalock (if he's still there), or any of their futures. Seems like a huge risk for any team wanting to make an immediate impact.

If a player gets sent down 12 days (?) prior to the season opener, he's waiver exempt.  This could be the plan for Ortio.

Or, maybe BT wanted to wrap up his assets so he could trade a goalie rather than lose Ramo to free agency.  Maybe he'll bundle one of our goalies along with a bad contract.

I like the move.  Gives us the option of Hiller/Ramo, Ramo/Orio, Hiller/Ortio with the option of sending down the worst of the bunch or trading one of them.  We don't lose Ramo for nothing.

I like the deal. I'm not sure a trade is coming because I'm not seeing a team that would want a 4.5 mill cap hit in net anymore. I think the plan is to let them battle it out because I think they were expecting one of Hiller/Ramo to really grab the job last year and neither did so I think this year they want one of the three to grab it.

I'm not worried about Ortio and waivers. Look at all the goalie movement this offseason and tell me who needs a goalie that bad anymore? the thing with Ortio and waivers that's key to remember is if you are going to claim a player on waivers he needs to stay on your NHL team because if you grab him and want to send him down he gets offered back to the original club first. NHL teams are filling that need so I don't think Ortio is going to interest a lot of teams on waivers and I think would clear.

a question about waivers...

I know Ortio has to clear waivers to be sent back down, but what happens, say, mid season we have an injury?

Does he have to clear waivers to come back up, and again when he's sent back down after said injury?

In the new CBA you only have to clear Waivers when you are sent down.

I like the deal. I'm not sure a trade is coming because I'm not seeing a team that would want a 4.5 mill cap hit in net anymore. I think the plan is to let them battle it out because I think they were expecting one of Hiller/Ramo to really grab the job last year and neither did so I think this year they want one of the three to grab it.

I'm not worried about Ortio and waivers. Look at all the goalie movement this offseason and tell me who needs a goalie that bad anymore? the thing with Ortio and waivers that's key to remember is if you are going to claim a player on waivers he needs to stay on your NHL team because if you grab him and want to send him down he gets offered back to the original club first. NHL teams are filling that need so I don't think Ortio is going to interest a lot of teams on waivers and I think would clear.

Unfortunately, i agree.  I don't expect a trade coming for Hiller.  When you look around the league, basically every single team has a #1 designated and not a lot of teams can afford a $4.5-mil back-up.  Hiller was linked to San Jose who just traded for Martin Jones and it looks like he's their guy going forward.