s4xon

McDonald is struggling in the playoffs.  .879 SV% and a 3.98 GAA with only 1 win in his 3 starts.  He lost the net to rookie MacCallum.  

Mason macdonald has a knee injury and is out for the rest of the playoffs. I actually heard he is in calgary right now rehabing.

Thanks for the update. Still, his first three games (on paper) didn't appear to go all that well.

He played two and then had to leave the third one with the injury. The first one he was very good, only 2 goals on 34 shots, it was the second one that wasn't so good as he let in 6 goals in 36 shots and that is pulling down his numbers. He seems prone to that every now and then with having a bad game, but I haven't seen his team play so not sure what level his team plays into that. I do know he tends to face amongst the highest shot totals in the Q.

How good has Jonas Hiller been this year for us. He is a big reason why we are in the playoffs this year and he was arguably the best player on the ice for game one.

I was just checking out his career playoffs stats and he has a .933 sv% in 27 career playoff games. Signing Hiller might be Treliving's best move to date.

How good has Jonas Hiller been this year for us. He is a big reason why we are in the playoffs this year and he was arguably the best player on the ice for game one.

I was just checking out his career playoffs stats and he has a .933 sv% in 27 career playoff games. Signing Hiller might be Treliving's best move to date.

He's been....okay, in the regular season.  24th in a league of 30.   Maybe that doesn't do him justice, but for a goalie that was once perhaps top 5, top 10 in the league, it's a slight decline.  Or, put another way, it's a tie with Reto Berra (not intended as an insult).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=NHL&season=2014#goaltending

Reto Berra, who we got rid of, because somebody (cough cough, Feaster) thought Ramo (41st overall) was our saviour.  But I should know better than to get started on that again, sorry.

Bottom line, Jonas, in the regular season, has done his job.  I would say that more or less sums it up.

In the playoffs?   Wow.   Now that...has been impressive.

You would have to be watching Flames games in a book to have an issue with either Ramo or Hiller this year. Even then you would need to squint pretty hard.

Goalie stats ate a poor indicator. I don't think we have Vezina caliber goalies by any stretch. But more nights then not the guy in our net has been as good or better then the guy in the other net. Which is what you want.

He's been....okay, in the regular season.  24th in a league of 30.   Maybe that doesn't do him justice, but for a goalie that was once perhaps top 5, top 10 in the league, it's a slight decline.  Or, put another way, it's a tie with Reto Berra (not intended as an insult).

Reto Berra, who we got rid of, because somebody (cough cough, Feaster) thought Ramo (41st overall) was our saviour.  But I should know better than to get started on that again, sorry.

Bottom line, Jonas, in the regular season, has done his job.  I would say that more or less sums it up.

In the playoffs?   Wow.   Now that...has been impressive.

We could have gone with either Hiller or Ramo in the playoffs, if Ramo had come back a week sooner.  Both have been clutch for us.

Berra may have seen his game rebound a bit in COL, but I watched some of his games and he stunk it up.  Bu-bye.  He was a poor choice over Ramo last season, and created the need for Hiller in the off-season.

What's impressed me about our goaltending is that the workshare has created zero controversy. You look at Van or TO and even MTL back with Price and Halak, that stuff can create too much media vultures.

My hat goes off to the goalies this year that they are simply ready to go and don't complain about not getting the start, just truly supporting the cause!

He's been....okay, in the regular season. 24th in a league of 30. Maybe that doesn't do him justice, but for a goalie that was once perhaps top 5, top 10 in the league, it's a slight decline. Or, put another way, it's a tie with Reto Berra (not intended as an insult).

Reto Berra, who we got rid of, because somebody (cough cough, Feaster) thought Ramo (41st overall) was our saviour. But I should know better than to get started on that again, sorry.

Bottom line, Jonas, in the regular season, has done his job. I would say that more or less sums it up.

In the playoffs? Wow. Now that...has been impressive.

First off he wasn't 24th out 30 he was 24th out of 68 goalies who played 10 or more games. And you can also put it this way its a tie with Fleury, Quick and Bobrovsky, pretty elite company.

As far as Ramo goes I am not convinced that he is anything more than a backup. Though last year I still would have chosen to keep Ramo and take the 2nd rounder for Berra.

I am not sure I would bring Ramo back though.

I wish we could stop playing "flavour of the week". We have a solid TANDEM. If we are fortunate enough to dispose of the Canucks, and don't kid yourself, experienced teams with their backs against the wall isn't exactly a small task.

Next up would be the Ducks. Ramo's role may be in the spotlight yet.

And he'll do well.

Such is our tandem!

First off he wasn't 24th out 30 he was 24th out of 68 goalies who played 10 or more games. And you can also put it this way its a tie with Fleury, Quick and Bobrovsky, pretty elite company.

As far as Ramo goes I am not convinced that he is anything more than a backup. Though last year I still would have chosen to keep Ramo and take the 2nd rounder for Berra.

I'm not sure it is a wise thing to let walk a guy that provided equal numbers to Hiller in the regular season.  Yes, I get that he was injured and we had Ortio come up and play outstanding.  Ramo is better than most of the backups in the league, at least from my perspective.  If Ortio comes in at TC and blows the doors off, then we have a replacement for Ramo or Hiller.

I agree with this. The timing of the injury was terrible for Ramo.  He was putting up really good numbers and looked to be the starter leading into the playoffs.  The injury derailed all of that.  There is a real chance he doesn't get another start this season.  

That said, if Ramo is willing to sign a 1 year deal at 2 million or less he may get another shot with the Flames.  Ortio is a gamble.  Perhaps a small one, but a gamble.  Going into next season with a three way battle for two spots isn't a bad thing. 

I'd like to see Ramo get the start for Game 5. He deserves some playoff action, it will rest Hiller, and it will give Ramo a chance to get back into his groove should we need him to step up later on.

You can't sit Hiller right now.  The guy is hot and on a roll and he deserves the start.  Even in the regular season Hartley played the hot goalie.  That won't and shouldn't change in the playoffs.  Ramo will get a start if Hiller falters or gets hurt.  

Personally I still prefer Ramo over Hiller. Outside of Ramos penchant for starting the season slow I think once he gets going he is the better goalie. Hiller has issues handling the puck and letting in soft goals at bad times that puts him a notch below in my view. Like I said I get Ramo starts slow but once he gets gojng he is a solid goalie.

That being said I am high on Ortio and Gilles and think Hiller has stepped up in the playoffs. What makes the most amount of sense to me I'm both the short and long term is letting Ramo walk and allowin Hiller to split with ortio next year.

Personally I still prefer Ramo over Hiller. Outside of Ramos penchant for starting the season slow I think once he gets going he is the better goalie. Hiller has issues handling the puck and letting in soft goals at bad times that puts him a notch below in my view. Like I said I get Ramo starts slow but once he gets gojng he is a solid goalie.

That being said I am high on Ortio and Gilles and think Hiller has stepped up in the playoffs. What makes the most amount of sense to me I'm both the short and long term is letting Ramo walk and allowin Hiller to split with ortio next year.

I agree with the fact that we should go with Hiller and Ortio next year, but mostly because I see Ramo as too inconsistent to be a number 1 goalie. Ramo has more abiltiy to flat out steal a game for you than Hiller, but I see Hiller as being more consistent and more of a steadying influence in the net which I think is very important for a young team.

I agree with the fact that we should go with Hiller and Ortio next year, but mostly because I see Ramo as too inconsistent to be a number 1 goalie. Ramo has more abiltiy to flat out steal a game for you than Hiller, but I see Hiller as being more consistent and more of a steadying influence in the net which I think is very important for a young team.

Me, right now, I sign Ramo to another two year deal.  We have a proven 1A, 1B goaltending duo that works.  They get along, no BS, they support one another and they both have contributed to the success with their greedy moments between the pipes.  The altering favoritism throughout the year settled nothing, we still need both.  Ramo was the favourite coming down the stretch, until what appeared to be a freak stand-up solo injury.  Ortio needs to wait his turn, which could be another year (or injury), but right now there are no vacancies in the position.  The younger 27yr old Ramo has earned another 2yr deal imo.  However, a high draft pick or promising young prospect for either goaltender would likely change BT position.

Me, right now, I sign Ramo to another two year deal. We have a proven 1A, 1B goaltending duo that works. They get along, no BS, they support one another and they both have contributed to the success with their greedy moments between the pipes. The altering favoritism throughout the year settled nothing, we still need both. Ramo was the favourite coming down the stretch, until what appeared to be a freak stand-up solo injury. Ortio needs to wait his turn, which could be another year (or injury), but right now there are no vacancies in the position. The younger 27yr old Ramo has earned another 2yr deal imo. However, a high draft pick or promising young prospect for either goaltender would likely change BT position.

Ramo is 28 and will be 29 by the time next season starts.

I wouldn't be mad if we re-signed Ramo, it's just not what I would do. I think we need to start grooming Ortio to be our next NHL starter, or at least find out if he's capable.

Hiller and Ramo are both good goalies, but not great.

Ramo will play four outstanding games, and then get completely lit up all of a sudden. This is almost like clockwork.

Hiller is really up and down on an irregular basis, and lets in a few to many softies for my liking, not to mention his strange habit of being 20 feet from his net at the worst possible time.

Yes they've both won us games, but I fee they've both lost us games too. They're good enough for now, and to make a decent playoff run. But I don't think they're a tandem that gets us to the cup final. I think Gillies and Ortio are.