s4xon

420, you must have missed the last few pages where this was tossed about. Ortio is on a 1 way deal, and is waiver eligible. He has to be waived to start in the AHL. We can keep 3 goalies, if you like otherwise somebody has to be waived or traded.

I missed that conversation as well.  There is no way Ortio clears waivers, I guess that means subracting one of Hiller or Ramo.  If a decision had to be made right now I'd keep the 27 yr old Ramo.  

Comes down to whether Ortio is ready for reguar NHL duty AND if we have enough goalies to fill in all the positions in the junior leagues and be competitive there. Then there's the waiver issue.

I don't follw the prospects closely enough to answer part two of that, but I feel that Ortio is definitely showing he's ready for a 20-30 game season at the NHL level for a look. A lt of people like Hiller, and while I think he's good, he's not great and I don't think has any upside from where he's played this year. Would I be OK with running with him another year? sure, but he moves at the  TDL next year at the absolute latest.

If that was the only thing for it, I'd say sure, Let Ortio play most of the season in the A, and then come up fresh(er) for the playoff drive as our depth. But will Ortio clear waivers at the start of next year? I honestly don't think so. There are never many really good goalie prospects available at any time, and some team is going to bite if we try to send him down.

I see more upside in Ramo than I do in Hiller at this point, so I think if one has to go we look at trading Hiller.

I missed that conversation as well.  There is no way Ortio clears waivers, I guess that means subracting one of Hiller or Ramo.  If a decision had to be made right now I'd keep the 27 yr old Ramo.  

They're selling you wooden nickels. Waive Ortio right now? Sure he'd be gone, waive him from camp, the market is flooded with guys waived out of camp. Do you see gm's actively plucking the waiver wire out of camp? No, you don't.

Is it possible, out of camp? Sure.

But it will be a lowlife GM, like Kevin Lowe. There aren't many of those...

Ramo is 28 and will be 29 by the time next season starts.

He has crazy home/away splits.

Home: 12GP/3.01GAA/.891SV%

Away: 12GP/1.87GAA/.938SV%

420, you must have missed the last few pages where this was tossed about. Ortio is on a 1 way deal, and is waiver eligible. He has to be waived to start in the AHL. We can keep 3 goalies, if you like otherwise somebody has to be waived or traded.

Sorry, I did know about his one way contract but forgot about his waiver eligibility.

I don't feel that any of the three goalies would clear waivers, so what do the Flames do? 

Resign Ramo and trade a goalie or lose Ramo to UFA for nothing?

Sorry, I did know about his one way contract but forgot about his waiver eligibility.

I don't feel that any of the three goalies would clear waivers, so what do the Flames do? 

Resign Ramo and trade a goalie or lose Ramo to UFA for nothing?

Wasn't picking on you, just pointing it out. Trading Hiller makes the most sense as far as keeping youth in the system. Hiller might get you a decent return.

Saying that, Hiller is also a steadying presence. It's a good problem to have. We'll see how Ramo fares the rest of the season and into playoffs. Having 2 goalies able to win games is a good thing. Worry about what to do later, I guess.

There are 30 back-ups in the NHL. Ortio won 4 of 5 starts this season posting a .931 save percentage on the way. Are we suggesting that a team like Edmonton wouldn't pick him up to play over someone like 32 yo Fasth? Maybe you get away with it early in the season when every team figures they are still in the playoff hunt. But even then, a number of teams have back-ups they are rolling the dice on already and wouldn't mind rolling those dice on someone with more long term upside. I wouldn't be taking the risk of I was Calgary.

Did Markstrom have to clear waivers to return to the Canucks when Miller got injured? He has had an amazing year down in the AHL, although he hasn't done anything in the NHL to warrant a pick up off waivers.

I dunno? Maybe we run with three goalies a few weeks and then trade one after?

I think something missing in the Ortio waiver speak is that Ortio has earned the right to play in the NHL next season. He has been great in the AHL and was great in his NHL contract. He is hinder contract for one more season after this one. Time to give him NHL games.

I really think you need to pick one of Ramo or Hiller. A month ago I would have said Hiller. Today I would say Ramo. Which is why I don't think the Flames will make a decision until later in the season.

Another thing being missed is that we are assuming Ramo will even sign an extension. He is a free agent after this season and he may want to go where he has more opportunity.

We are in the situation we are because of goal tending. Not sure how you don't start next season with the Duo we have. IMHO you bring all 3 to camp and ride it out as best you can. The 2 best will surface. I am not sure Ortio deserves a spot based on his contract obligations. If BT extends Ramo, than IMHO they take their chances waiving Ortio.

We are in the situation we are because of goal tending. Not sure how you don't start next season with the Duo we have. IMHO you bring all 3 to camp and ride it out as best you can. The 2 best will surface. I am not sure Ortio deserves a spot based on his contract obligations. If BT extends Ramo, than IMHO they take their chances waiving Ortio.

Why do people keep saying this? They are where they are because they have found goal scoring. Because Gio and Brodie were one of the best top pairings in the league. Because they got impact performances from young players and rookies. Because of a high work ethic and a self belief. Because of great coaching.

They have had great goal tending for parts of the season. They have also had average tending and sometimes poor tending.

I am not sure why people are giving so much credit to the goalies. They deserve credit sure. But they aren't so elite that you change the plan and lose Ortio.

Heck, four games ago Ramo was supposedly on his way to Europe next season. 4 games later he is untouchable?

The Flames have some options:

* Let Ramo leave at the end of the season to UFA for nothing. (I hate losing something for nothing)

* Resign Ramo and trade one of the 3 goalies before next season starts.

* Resign Ramo, trade no one, and risk losing one of the 3 to waivers.

* Keep 3 goalies on the NHL roster (seldom if ever works)

As well, unless one of them clears waivers, our farm team will be in rough shape in goal.

There's no guarantee that Gillies will pass on his senior year at Providence.

Thiessen and Carr sure won't get it done.

I don't mind losing Hiller for nothing, mostly because he signed as a free agent. 

Ramo came in a deal, so I feel that is part of asset management. I'd sign Ramo and see who wins, if Ortio is ready, play it Ramo and Ortio. Trade Hiller. 

There's something about Hiller I don't like. I don't know why. I think we all just have our likes and dislikes when it comes to players? I think it's because I felt like Ramo should have gotten a better chance after last year. 

Ramo has been good for us on this road trip, but I am not sure I have seen enough of him to feel very comfortable re-signing him and trading Hiller. For me he is still largely an unproven goaltender at the NHL level. If I was to re-sign Ramo it would to a 1 year contract with a paycut to his $2.75mill that is getting this year.

Also just throwing this out there Thiessen is a solid AHL goalie, so I am not worried at all if he was the number 1 in Stockton next year. His numbers are identical to Ortio in Adirondack this year.

I think the decision on Ramo will be pending seeing a few more games from him. He's been lights-out the last four, but is this play sustainable? If so I think he signs. If not, harder to say.

Someone pointed out above that he played much better on the road this year than at home. That could be an issue. I'd like to see him get a few home sstarts after this road trip to see if he can overcome that.

I think the decision on Ramo will be pending seeing a few more games from him. He's been lights-out the last four, but is this play sustainable? If so I think he signs. If not, harder to say.

Someone pointed out above that he played much better on the road this year than at home. That could be an issue. I'd like to see him get a few home sstarts after this road trip to see if he can overcome that.

I think it may be fair to say his utilization at home has not been that much. Hard to get into any rhythm if you get one game here and there.

Run him as long as he looks good.

I think We are forgetting how good Ramo was to close out last year too. It's not like this is a small window of success we have seen this before. Twice the flames, mainly Hartley, has jerked Ramo around and put faith elsewhere and both times Ramo whethered it and came out ahead in the end. I don't view this last stretch as outside the norm for Ramo and personally I've never understood why Hartley is so reluctant to go with him. Outside of the start of the season I think Hiller has been slightly above average as a goalie.

• Like 1

Finally people are jumping on the Ramo bandwagon! 

I'm almost leaning towards Ramo still getting the start tomorrow.. but rest is also important. Get Hiller in and regardless of how he plays I think Ramo needs to go back in on Sunday, he's been that good and should've been the first star again tonight. 

Tonight was not an easy game. Its no disrespect to Ramo to give him the scond of a back to back off.

Ottawa's new goalie has been on a pretty impressive run of his own for his first 7 games, so Ramo will need to match that. That extra day of rest might help.

But they should indeed run with Ramo for most of the stretch drive if he keeps playing this well.

Tonight was not an easy game. Its no disrespect to Ramo to give him the scond of a back to back off.

Ottawa's new goalie has been on a pretty impressive run of his own for his first 7 games, so Ramo will need to match that. That extra day of rest might help.

But they should indeed run with Ramo for most of the stretch drive if he keeps playing this well.

Now who gets it? So hard to choose lately.

Hiller definitely played well tonight, good to have both goalies putting up impressive numbers.

That said, I think it might be time to do what we did in the early season again - alternate them games. Both are playing well, let each of them get playing time but a reasonable amount of rest.

Did Markstrom have to clear waivers to return to the Canucks when Miller got injured? He has had an amazing year down in the AHL, although he hasn't done anything in the NHL to warrant a pick up off waivers.

I dunno? Maybe we run with three goalies a few weeks and then trade one after?

Markstrom didn't have to clear waivers coming up since they changed the rules.  You only have to clear waivers going down, which for us would be a problem with Ortio...