s4xon

In his last four games, Hiller has allowed three goals on 120 shots with three wins and one shootout loss.

Last 4 starts: SA: 120, GA: 3, SV%: .975

He won the starting job fair and square.

Reading Hartley's comments today sounds like they are going to run with "you win, you get the next start" for 3-4 games stints. That keeps the current incumbent from feeling like they are the true #1 guy. His last 4 games have been great. I still expect Hartley will rotate to Ramo, unlike last season when Berra or McDonald played after losses. It's all good. Whether #1 and backup or 1a/1b or 1a/1a.  

A few factors from last year -  There were a lot of losses and there were a lot of back-to-back games. We don't have another back-to-back set until the end of November. It's going to be interesting to see what happens for sure...

Soooo...

Anybody know what's up with Gillies and Ortio?

I've got patience. But their combined performances are not exactly what we'd hoped for.

It's still early. But I don't even try predicting goalies. Every year the best goalies come out of no where and the can't miss guys fail to deliver.

Pick them late in the draft, have a bunch in the system, and don't be afraid to trade or sign an NHL proven tender. That's my opinion.

It's still early. But I don't even try predicting goalies. Every year the best goalies come out of no where and the can't miss guys fail to deliver.

Pick them late in the draft, have a bunch in the system, and don't be afraid to trade or sign an NHL proven tender. That's my opinion.

Yeah, it seems like you never know what you'll get out of goalies. Hopefully Ortio and Gillies weren't early bloomers and start to decline now.

In his last four games, Hiller has allowed three goals on 120 shots with three wins and one shootout loss.

Last 4 starts: SA: 120, GA: 3, SV%: .975

He won the starting job fair and square.

I wouldn't say Hiller won the job.  He blew it out of the water.  He's been a force in net this season.  Although highly unlikely, as it favors playoff / cup champ goalies (fingers crossed Flames), it would be nice to see him take home a Vezina.

This is not he first time hiller has had a stretch like this either. He's shown at times to be top tier and then he'll struggle, that's life in the NHL.

Flames do need to see what et gave in Ramo as well which is why I fully expect he'll get some games. Hiller is not a long term solution.

This is not he first time hiller has had a stretch like this either. He's shown at times to be top tier and then he'll struggle, that's life in the NHL.

Flames do need to see what et gave in Ramo as well which is why I fully expect he'll get some games. Hiller is not a long term solution.

Using both goalies has been a great plan so far. If they go with Hiller now for a few games till he stalls, then switch back to Ramo, win again. As long as there is a competition and they keep pushing each other, and are given fair chances, I think it'll work.

Jonas might have spent a lot of energy over his good run of solid goaltending. Maybe it's time to rest him and give Ramo 2-3 games.

I agree. He hasn't been bad the last two games. But he hasn't been magnificent either. Time for Ramo to get a game. See how he does and go from there.

I agree. He hasn't been bad the last two games. But he hasn't been magnificent either. Time for Ramo to get a game. See how he does and go from there.

Millions is suggesting that Ramo is starting (according to practice) lines.  I think it may have been one game too late.  Saying that, it wasn't Hiller that lost the game.

I gotta be honest....Ramo is a backup goaltender at best.  Hiller is likely going to be our starter for the rest of the season, and while I've always liked him, he has been on the decline career-wise.   Obviously, not during the last few games.  wow.

If Hiller were to somehow re-invent himself and give us another 5-8 years of starter-quality play, then we'd really have something.  I'm not holding my breath, however.  Usually once a decline starts, it doesn't stop.

What's of more interest to me, at least, is Ortio and Gillies.

After horrendous starts from both of them, Gillies looks to be coming around with a couple strong wins:

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,21374/jon-gillies

Really glad to see this, I hope he keeps it up and the first few games can become a forgotten bump in the road.

Ortio probably plays tonight.  I've got my fingers crossed.  His poor play has been oddly sustained over a number of games. 
Really strange, hope he gets going again soon.

I gotta be honest....Ramo is a backup goaltender at best.  Hiller is likely going to be our starter for the rest of the season, and while I've always liked him, he has been on the decline career-wise.   Obviously, not during the last few games.  wow.

If Hiller were to somehow re-invent himself and give us another 5-8 years of starter-quality play, then we'd really have something.  I'm not holding my breath, however.  Usually once a decline starts, it doesn't stop.

What's of more interest to me, at least, is Ortio and Gillies.

After horrendous starts from both of them, Gillies looks to be coming around with a couple strong wins:

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,21374/jon-gillies

Really glad to see this, I hope he keeps it up and the first few games can become a forgotten bump in the road.

Ortio probably plays tonight.  I've got my fingers crossed.  His poor play has been oddly sustained over a number of games. 

Really strange, hope he gets going again soon.

Ortio is currently ranked 3rd last in the AHL; 4.09 GAA .879 SV%

Ramo was rusty in the last game. He was like that last season before he got the rains after returning from his injury. He is still young, so saying he is a career backup is just wrong.