s4xon

I don't care if you guys view Hiller as a backup or a potential starter. I don't think the Flames care either. The Flames have always looked at our goal tending as a group. Last year the group consisted of JMac, Berra and Ramo.(fight it out guys for starting goalie)

They start this coming season with a goal tending tandem of Hiller and Ramo.

Obvious upgrade to last years group and the Flames addressed the concerns just about everyone here had of a possible Ramo/JMac combo to start this season.

• Like 1

They didn't sign Roy, so they need someone to backup Ortio.

Thiesen can take on the starter role if Ortio gets called up.  I think that is a big reason for the signing.  To have that insurance.  Hate to have bad goal tending for our AHL team given the number of kids and the strength of the roster. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't care if you guys view Hiller as a backup or a potential starter. I don't think the Flames care either. The Flames have always looked at our goal tending as a group. Last year the group consisted of JMac, Berra and Ramo.(fight it out guys for starting goalie)

They start this coming season with a goal tending tandem of Hiller and Ramo.

Obvious upgrade to last years group and the Flames addressed the concerns just about everyone here had of a possible Ramo/JMac combo to start this season.

I agree 100%. As well as Ramo played last year it was pretty clear you don't have a kipper like star and your hands so why not go the group route? If Ramo is that all it's going to do IMO is force him to get better. I'm happy to see this play out

Sounds like Hiller gets the start tonight. Thought they were going with a win then play model. Ramo deserves the start.

Maybe they are just rotating each game. If that's the case it's fine. Hopefully this isn't like last season where the other goalie starts getting multiple starts when Ramo is earning them.

If I were Hartley, and I had 2 very good goaltenders at my disposal, I'd rotate them every game for a short while, just to see who's going to be the hottest, and instill a win-and-you're-in model once the experiment timeframe was over.  Seeing as how this is only game 3, I'd be willing to go with the alternating method for a few more games yet.

If I were Hartley, and I had 2 very good goaltenders at my disposal, I'd rotate them every game for a short while, just to see who's going to be the hottest, and instill a win-and-you're-in model once the experiment timeframe was over. Seeing as how this is only game 3, I'd be willing to go with the alternating method for a few more games yet.

As long as he sticks with that. The goal tending rotation early last season was difficult to explain.

Considering the amount of question marks over our goalies last season not really.

Considering Berra looked horrible, I felt that Ramo deserved some starts in that stint where Hartley kept starting Berra. Ramo looked better positionally. 

I like Ramo. I think he should be someone we stick with. If we see him with another team, I bet he shines...

• Like 1

I'm fine with an early rotation to get them both into thd season and get their reps if it last the first 10-15 games are so. After that then I think you have to start riding the hot hand and I hold Hartley commits to that because I agree his handling of thd goalies last year wasn't great. Flames need to know what they have in Ramo before his free agency

• Like 1

Thought the mantra was you earn it you deserve it. Ramo helped us beat ED what's with Roman Turek getting the start against STL? Don't get it. Ramo got the flu too?

While I'm also a bit skeptical about Hartley and Treliving's real willingness to actually follow the mantra, I think after only 3 games you have to allow for a certain flexibility with the goalies. Ramo certainly earned them that win in EDM, no doubt. But Hiller played well throughout pre-season, and was definitely not the cause of the loss to VAN (nor to STL). Perhaps Ramo earned the start, but at this early point I don't think you can say that Hiller has earned the bench. And given that management is probably expecting a decent tandem out of these two goalies, I think you have to give them both relatively equal starts to begin the season, at least until enough games have been played to show that one definitely deserves it over the other. Though I'm with those who don't want this kind of wait-and-see approach to last more than the first dozen games or so. I was also a bit perplexed by Hartley's decisions early last season.

Ramo has been solid but he has played against less talented teams. Hiller has played, St louis,Van and now Chi, huge difference in talent in the clubs. I think both have looked well, although Ramo has stolen two games for us, lol.

Still to early to make a clear cut declaration of a #1

Since Ortio has a 1 way deal for next year, it sounds like he will be backing up next year. Ramo is a UFA at the end of the season, and I think it would be better to get something for him rather than nothing. That being said, Hiller would provide a better return than Ramo due to his track record. Should be interesting too see how this battle in the crease unfolds.

Since Ortio has a 1 way deal for next year, it sounds like he will be backing up next year. Ramo is a UFA at the end of the season, and I think it would be better to get something for him rather than nothing. That being said, Hiller would provide a better return than Ramo due to his track record. Should be interesting too see how this battle in the crease unfolds.

Just because Ortio is in a one way contract next year doesn't mean he is slated to be the backup, he still has a lot to prove. Hopefully he can get himself back on track soon and show that season to season consistency that Calgary wants to see from him.

If Ramo keeps playing the way he has to start the year he will be re-signed.

• Like 1