s4xon

Having a backup goalie with a .890 SA% and a 2.9 GAA worries me.  Not that I think we will be a playoff team, but those numbers don't exactly inspire confidence.  Berra is about the same, and we got rid of him.  JoeyMac was also sent to the AHL for the majority of the season, and only came back when they had traded Berra.

He did well last season in Kipper's absence. This year he has a very small sample size behind guys the organization were trying to get a feel for. He wasn't really given any chances this year to prove himself. Maybe he does better with a proven team with a proven number1 goalie?

He did well last season in Kipper's absence. This year he has a very small sample size behind guys the organization were trying to get a feel for. He wasn't really given any chances this year to prove himself. Maybe he does better with a proven team with a proven number1 goalie?

Well he was given the early chance to show what he has left; it wasn't that great.  He had starts with the "improved" team in March and managed to win 2/3.  I think there is better out there going forward.  Unless, of course, we want to be in the running for "Connor".

Oct 4 @CLB Won 4-3 1-0-1 Joey MacDonald Sergei Bobrovsky

Oct 6 VAN Lost 4-5 (OT) 1-0-2 Eddie Lack Joey MacDonald

Oct 9 MON Won 3-2 2-0-2 Joey MacDonald Carey Price

Oct 11 NJ Won 3-2 3-0-2 Joey MacDonald Martin Brodeur

Oct 16 @ANA Lost 2-3 3-1-2 Viktor Fasth Joey MacDonald

Oct 22 @PHO Lost 2-4 4-3-2 Mike Smith Joey MacDonald

Nov 1 DET Lost 3-4 5-6-2 Jimmy Howard Joey MacDonald

Mar 14 @DAL Won 4-3 (SO) 27-33-7 Joey MacDonald Tim Thomas

Mar 21 NSH Lost 5-6 28-35-7 Carter Hutton Joey MacDonald

Apr 4 @FLA Won 2-1 33-38-7 Joey MacDonald Roberto Luongo    

Well he was given the early chance to show what he has left; it wasn't that great.  He had starts with the "improved" team in March and managed to win 2/3.  I think there is better out there going forward.  Unless, of course, we want to be in the running for "Connor".

Oct 4 @CLB Won 4-3 1-0-1 Joey MacDonald Sergei Bobrovsky

Oct 6 VAN Lost 4-5 (OT) 1-0-2 Eddie Lack Joey MacDonald

Oct 9 MON Won 3-2 2-0-2 Joey MacDonald Carey Price

Oct 11 NJ Won 3-2 3-0-2 Joey MacDonald Martin Brodeur

Oct 16 @ANA Lost 2-3 3-1-2 Viktor Fasth Joey MacDonald

Oct 22 @PHO Lost 2-4 4-3-2 Mike Smith Joey MacDonald

Nov 1 DET Lost 3-4 5-6-2 Jimmy Howard Joey MacDonald

Mar 14 @DAL Won 4-3 (SO) 27-33-7 Joey MacDonald Tim Thomas

Mar 21 NSH Lost 5-6 28-35-7 Carter Hutton Joey MacDonald

Apr 4 @FLA Won 2-1 33-38-7 Joey MacDonald Roberto Luongo    

Backup goaltenders don't have that much infleunce on the seasons results/standings unless the starting goaltender gets injured long term during the season. We are unlikely to move up the standings with even a great backup.

Backup goaltenders don't have that much infleunce on the seasons results/standings unless the starting goaltender gets injured long term during the season. We are unlikely to move up the standings with even a great backup.

While I agree with you DD, it's still something that can be improved for little increased cost.

I don't understand why we rely on Ramo, Ortio and Gillies will be the answer to keep JMac.

If that plan backfires we will be nowhere and desperate, why not improve on JMac now, if only just as an insurance policy?

Who was the last NHL goalie we acquired from an NHL team?

What, exactly, are we afraid of is my question?

We suck at addressing goaltending the old-fashioned way is all I can think.

Hopefully our new GM is asking those questions. There is never a sense of urgency, like goalies are a dime/dozen. Best goalie not in the NHL etc etc.

Honestly, our goalies are still at the prospect stage, yet we act like it's not an issue.

One could argue though if your a bubble team, those back up win/loss records can make a huge difference.

Are we going to be a bubble team? Is the play in the last 30 games going to be the norm and we actually make the playoffs? I hope they don't sign goalies who hide deficiencies and give a false sense of us being a good team with talent.... We're a good team, we just have a lot of holes and low on top6 talent. I am saying, build this right. Effort is there. Now we need the talent to match the effort.

Flames will be a bubble lottery team, not a bubble playoff team. And I mean that in a way that the Flames will be one of the favorites to draft 1st overall. A lot of players had career years last year, Gio being one of the big ones. I dont see that happening again for the Flames to advance. Players like Monahan will most likely take a step back next year instead of taking a step forward as well. 

We need a couple of trades or UFA's to make the cap floor anyways. We also should keep a couple skating roster spots open for young players like Reinhart and Sven to make the team (these will be ELC's against the cap). So it makes sense to sign a veteran goalie that can help out. Preferably someone a little older to mentor.

I see the suggestion of aquiring a veteran goalie as straying from our rebuild plans. I don't see why we "need that" for backup goaltender position. I can see the mentor part but the reality is there are not that many backups who are better than Jmac(wins) who would offer that mentorship better than JMac does now anyway.

You could bring in a more qualified starter type goalie too but what message does that send to all our present prospects and Ramo? There is nothing wrong with keeping the present backup spot available or open should we encounter injuries. JMac has shown he is willing to play or sit as required for the team and even pass through waivers if need be.

Wasn't it injuries to Ramo what gave Ortio the opportunity to start a few games and gain that valuable experience? If we had had that veteran backup who is almost starter quality then Ortio would have sat on the bench instead of playing....

I don't know what kind of mentor abilities JMac has but wasn't it rumored that he came into camp this year out of shape?  I'm trying to find the thread or a news article to back me up but have been unsuccessful thus far.  And yes it was injuries that gave Ortio the starts but he was less of a risk to call up due to waivers wan't he?  Not to argue with you Deeds because I respect a lot of your posts but I think we need to bring in a younger guy and someone who is hungry to play.  That's the identity this team has now and that's the type of players I hope Treliving is looking for.  Ramo, although being named the starter, still has to be pushed in my opinion.  I don't see how JMac can bring that to the table.  Not only this but if we do sign JMac as the back up and Ramo should get hurt, that makes JMac our starter and Ortio still sits as his back up.  Burke is on record saying that Ortio will not be the back up on the Flames, he wants him to play and he'll only get that in the A.

I see the suggestion of aquiring a veteran goalie as straying from our rebuild plans. I don't see why we "need that" for backup goaltender position. I can see the mentor part but the reality is there are not that many backups who are better than Jmac(wins) who would offer that mentorship better than JMac does now anyway.

You could bring in a more qualified starter type goalie too but what message does that send to all our present prospects and Ramo? There is nothing wrong with keeping the present backup spot available or open should we encounter injuries. JMac has shown he is willing to play or sit as required for the team and even pass through waivers if need be.

Wasn't it injuries to Ramo what gave Ortio the opportunity to start a few games and gain that valuable experience? If we had had that veteran backup who is almost starter quality then Ortio would have sat on the bench instead of playing....

We have Gillies that will be requiring some action in a year or two as well (this was his second year in Prov I believe). You don't want to have too many young goalies that need playing time to develop. Ortio is going to be in the AHL as previously mentioned - seeing starting minutes. We just need someone as a competent backup for the next few years when Ortio can either become a starter or split duties in NHL / and Gillies can get starting minutes in the AHL. I'm suggesting a veteran because we need a few larger contracts to make the floor anyways while keeping a few skating roster spots open for youngsters. I think JMac only made around 1 million. A veteran goalie that makes more money helps us in more ways than one.

JMac can run either hot or cold, he is very inconsistent...   When he is having an off game (which is not uncommon), the soft goals he lets in can deflate the team...

When he was brought in on waivers, it wasn't the end of the world as we still had Kipper, and other viable options at that time were limited...   The fact that he was available on waivers in the first place though, speaks for itself...   So does the fact that at 34 years old, he has just a total of $5.2 mil career earnings to date...

Also, at 34 I would not be surprised if his play was to decline, especially if Ramo was out of action due to injury and JMac was called upon to step in as the starter...   As far as being a mentor, I think his abilities in that area are very limited, as he just does not have the track record for it...

I am also of the opinion that Ortio could use at least another season or more with the Heat...   and Gillies is even further away in his development curve...

I would like to see the Flames make another acquisition for a backup goaltender, and age is not as important to me as the skill set...   So either a younger goalie that has shown some consistency and has potential for a higher ceiling, or a vet that can bring more stability in the role than JMac does would be fine with me...

I don't know what kind of mentor abilities JMac has but wasn't it rumored that he came into camp this year out of shape?  I'm trying to find the thread or a news article to back me up but have been unsuccessful thus far.  And yes it was injuries that gave Ortio the starts but he was less of a risk to call up due to waivers wan't he?  Not to argue with you Deeds because I respect a lot of your posts but I think we need to bring in a younger guy and someone who is hungry to play.  That's the identity this team has now and that's the type of players I hope Treliving is looking for.  Ramo, although being named the starter but he still has to be pushed in my opinion.  I don't see how JMac can bring that to the table.  Not only this but if we do sign JMac as the back up and Ramo should get hurt, that makes JMac our starter and Ortio still sits as his back up.  Burke is on record saying that Ortio will not be the back up on the Flames, he wants him  to play and he'll only get that in the A.

Except they played Ortio last year when both JMac and Ortio got called up. I think that if they both are here due to injuries that Ortio would get some more starts again or be left with the Heat.

Not sure bringing in a younger goalie is sending the right message. It would say that the Flames are not happy yet with our young goalies we have now, wouldn't it?  Anyway I was commenting on those who stated they wanted to bring in a veteran goaltender.

One of the biggest challenges Calgary (or any rebuilding club) faces is balancing opportunity with expectation.  On one hand, you don't want to make it so difficult that a deserving rookie can't make the club.  On the other hand, you don't want to create a situation where the performance of that rookie is "do or die" to the success of the club.  

One of the areas that Edmonton is failing is that they put their rookies into a situation where the weight of the team is on their shoulders.  We have to be careful not to do that.  You don't want to go out and get Hiller because that makes it too difficult for Ramo to get starts.  On the other hand, you don't want a goalie that the team (and Ramo) doesn't trust because if you do Ramo is in a situation that he has to carry the team or they fail.  

I don't want MacDonald.  I don't think he is good enough to play 30 games and I would rather spend that ice time on a player with potential in case Ramo fails.  I don't want Ortio, because best case is he doesn't get any games because Ramo is great.  And worst case there is too much pressure on Ramo (and Ortio) because Ortio isn't ready.  

There are a lot of UFA goalies out there that fit the bill.  Elliot.  Emery.  Gustavsson.  Montoya.  Etc.  I want one of them to be a confident back-up for Ramo and a plan B if he doesn't work out.  

Over the last couple of season JMac has filled the need as backup goaltender for the Flames.  But let’s face it, he has had his 34th bday and is on the tail end of his career.  The culture Hartley has created with this team is all about competition at every position including goal.  JMac has proven he can win, but is he the guy to push Ramo to the next level?  As previous posters have mentioned, there could be several goaltenders available that would provide more competition for Ramo.  Heck, maybe one can even steal Ramo’s job, but I doubt JMac will steal it.  As Burkie says, the RB is all about baby steps, I think this is time to make a step and improve our goaltending situation.

Except they played Ortio last year when both JMac and Ortio got called up. I think that if they both are here due to injuries that Ortio would get some more starts again or be left with the Heat.

Not sure bringing in a younger goalie is sending the right message. It would say that the Flames are not happy yet with our young goalies we have now, wouldn't it?  Anyway I was commenting on those who stated they wanted to bring in a veteran goaltender.

Not necessarily.  To me it says the team wants to remain competitive through the RB.  That goes a long way in motivating players.  And bringing in a guy like Montoya you know what you're getting.  A guy that can start 25-30 games and win 10-12, steal the odd game to keep morale up and is decent in the shootout.  I don't believe we have that in Mac.  I like the names Kehatch listed in his post and agree when he says we need a plan B should Ramo falter.  Now don't get me wrong I hope that Ramo picks up his play right where he left off and has a career year.  I'd just hate to let opportunity pass us by where we could have insurance.  Its the smart thing to do in my opinion.

The problem is, you can say that about any position. It's mgmt's call, it's their job to keep the team competitive.

If they think JMac's good enough, I won't argue.

But if the think they can upgrade the position via FA, I'd agree.

And maybe ff can turn my head around, but I am not an Emery fan.

Inconsistency is my issue with him, and I believe that issue comes from attitude.

One more thing to consider with the backup goalie is brining in a UFA is an opportunity to add more salary and get your closer to the floor. It may not matter if say Cammy is brought back or a big deal is swung, but if both of those options fail the flames are going to have to add salary and do so in a way that still promotes opportunity for young players. Brining in a Montoya or Greiss who will cost more than macdonald is an opportunity to get there. May not matter but worth considering IMO.

Personally I wouldn't bring back macdonald at all. He is not a quality NHL backup IMO. He faired ok, behind Kipper when he played here and there but I don't feel comfortable with him at all playing 20 or more games, ideally closer to 30. I think there are plenty of options out there that you don't need jmac and I also don't see much league wide interest in I him so I think you try and upgrade and if all else fails you bring him back.

• 1 month later...

Burke spoke at the Calgary Chamber of Commerce this morning...   http://www.calgarychamber.com/interact/events/chamber-event/brian-burke-business-hockey

I do not have a link for the quote yet, I just new someone that was at the meeting and passed the info along to me knowing that I would be interested as we have had more than a few goaltender related discussions...

Burke advised that the team is in the market for a backup goaltender for next year...

That also would seem to indicate to me that the Flames will be relying on Ramo as the starter...   It also would appear that one way or another JMac is being put out to pasture...

Burke spoke at the Calgary Chamber of Commerce this morning...   http://www.calgarychamber.com/interact/events/chamber-event/brian-burke-business-hockey

I do not have a link for the quote yet, I just new someone that was at the meeting and passed the info along to me knowing that I would be interested as we have had more than a few goaltender related discussions...

Burke advised that the team is in the market for a backup goaltender for next year...

That also would seem to indicate to me that the Flames will be relying on Ramo as the starter...   It also would appear that one way or another JMac is being put out to pasture...

"claps slowly and stands up...."

Stiil not seeing much for any press releases, but I can pass along this this,..

It's from Ian Campell (journalist for 660 news)...

7218240497aeb7e1fcb0cd7144d061dc.png

Stiil not seeing much for any press releases, but I can pass along this this,..

It's from Ian Campell (journalist for 660 news)...

7218240497aeb7e1fcb0cd7144d061dc.png

By that it looks like they've decided to move on from big Mac.  I'm glad they've decided to do so.

New backup from FA this year?