s4xon

I think he was just okay. Which is a bit of a let down. But a good or bad performance wasn't going to stay my opinion on him. It is just one tournament.

Perhaps this will show some people (not aimed at anyone specifically) that Gilles is still a prospect and he is still one that is a ways away from the NHL. He also isn't a sure thing (which is true for any goalie prospect at his stage of development.)

I think he was just okay. Which is a bit of a let down. But a good or bad performance wasn't going to stay my opinion on him. It is just one tournament.

Perhaps this will show some people (not aimed at anyone specifically) that Gilles is still a prospect and he is still one that is a ways away from the NHL. He also isn't a sure thing (which is true for any goalie prospect at his stage of development.)

Yeah, he was just OK. Not that concerned about his performance in a tourney at this stage in his career.

I hope he takes this as a signal that he still has some work to do, and goes home to playing his butt off in the NCAA. Let him develop there for another year, sign with the Flames, and take the starting role in Abby for at least a year. BY then we will have a better read on him, and he will be playing against better competition on a TEAM.

If he projects to be a top prospect then, his timing will be in line with the Flames becoming a playoff team again.

In the meantime, go Ramo, go Berra, go Ortio, and yes, go Roy. One (OR MORE) of the bunch should help us solidify the team in nets. At least that is my hope.

He could have been Red Light Gillies and you would defend him lol 

I think it had less to do with European ice and more to do with the calibre of opponent he was facing. Oops

Actually, I am more of an Ortio fan.  And I think he faces similar or tougher competition in US College than he did at the world juniors (most nights).

You could be right, but I was giving what I thought was an honest assessment.

• Like 1

Berra's going to the Olympics (http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=699192)

Berra named to Swiss Olympic team
Reto Berra is on the Swiss 25-man roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics
Monday, 06.01.2014 / 10:47 AM / News
By Torie Peterson  - CalgaryFlames.com (@toriepeterson)

CALGARY, AB -- As per Swiss Hockey News, Calgary Flames netminder Reto Berra has been named to the Swiss 25-man roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Berra was instrumental in Switzerland's success at the 2013 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships, helping his country capture silver.

In 18 games this season, Berra has a 2.92 GAA and a .903 save percentage.

Flames prospect Sven Baertschi has been placed on the Swiss side list.

SWISS OLYMPIC ROSTER

Netminders: Reto Berra (Calgary Flames), Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks), Tobias Stephan (Genève-Servette HC)

Defencemen: Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Rafael Diaz (Montréal Canadiens), Philippe Furrer (SC Bern), Roman Josi (Nashville Predators), Mathias Seger (Captain, ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (Philadelphia Flyers), Julien Vauclair (HC Lugano), Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks)

Forwards: Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Matthias Bieber (Kloten Flyers), Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers), Damien Brunner (New Jersey Devils), Luca spearingi (ZSC Lions), Ryan Gardner (SC Bern), Denis Hollenstein (Genève-Servette HC), Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals), Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota Wild), Martin Plüss (SC Bern), Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette HC), Reto Suri (EV Zug), Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions), Roman Wick (ZSC Lions)

SWISS SIDE LIST

Netminders: Benjamin Conz (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Lukas Flüeler (ZSC Lions), Leonardo Genoni (HC Davos), Martin Gerber (Kloten Flyers), Robert Mayer (Hamilton Bulldogs)

Defencemen: Goran Bezina (Genève-Servette HC), Eric Blum (Kloten Flyers), Felicien Du Bois (Kloten Flyers), Patrick Geering (ZSC Lions), Robin Grossmann (HC Davos), Tim Ramholt (EV Zug), Luca Sbisa (Anaheim Ducks), Patrick von Gunten (Kloten Flyers).

Forwards: Patrik Bärtschi (ZSC Lions), Sven Bärtschi (Calgary Flames), Dario Bürgler (HC Davos), Andrei Bykov (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Peter Guggisberg (HC Davos), Michael Liniger (Kloten Flyers), Thibaut Monnet (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Inti Pestoni (HC Ambrì-Piotta), Benjamin Plüss (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Thomas Rüfenacht (HC Lugano), Juraj Simek (Genève-Servette HC), Julien Sprunger (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Victor Stancescu (Kloten Flyers), Julian Walker (HC Lugano).

I wasn't suprised about this call. Good luck Berra!!! and umm

"Flames prospect Sven Baertschi has been placed on the Swiss side list." I was hoping Sven would play and play GOOD just to prove Burke wrong.....

I think the fact he is left off the team, especially behind some of those guys, is telling that Burke's assessment is more widely shared than dismissed.

Good on Berra.

I think the fact he is left off the team, especially behind some of those guys, is telling that Burke's assessment is more widely shared than dismissed.

Good on Berra.

Sven since his been back at Abbostford has played 7 games 2G 0A 2Pts............... 2012-2014 so far has been downslide considering he put in 33G in 47games back in WHL

Gillies showing at the WJC may have just set him back a year...per the Calgary Herald:

NO DECISION ON GILLIES — According to Brian Burke, Calgary may not try to sign G Jon Gillies after his splendid sophomore year at Providence. “I know there’s a lot of speculation that he’s going to be asked to turn pro after the season,” the Flames boss told the Providence Journal, “but we have not in fact made any determination yet . . . I met with him (Monday) and told him that.”

Sven Baertschi has to take all the responsibilty for not making the olympic team. In both the nhl and the ahl he has been underwhelming. He gave the swiss management team no reason to believe that he could keep up against even better competition in the olympics.

Sven was left off the team because he hasnt shown much this season, that is almost all on coaching. If Hartley wasnt going to play him he should have been sent down months ago. Not surprised Berra made the Swiss team, congrats to him.

I'd just like to comment on the goaltending ...

Is it the Management's plan to tank this year?  I just seems to me that it is, since we purposely sent a proven NHL goalie in Joey MacDonald to the AHL (and fourth on the depth chart), in favour of an unproven Europoean in Reto Berra.  Sure, he’s the best thing since sliced bread, but I think our recent string of blowout shutouts supports the thought that we are failing on purpose.  I would like to see Berra and Mac switch places again, and/or Berra being moved (?).  I know our net situation is not the only culprit (scoring on the PP and overall PK as well), but this team needs a change.

Is it the Management's plan to tank this year?  I just seems to me that it is, since we purposely sent a proven NHL goalie in Joey MacDonald to the AHL (and fourth on the depth chart), in favour of an unproven Europoean in Reto Berra.  Sure, he’s the best thing since sliced bread, but I think our recent string of blowout shutouts supports the thought that we are failing on purpose.  I would like to see Berra and Mac switch places again, and/or Berra being moved (?).  I know our net situation is not the only culprit (scoring on the PP and overall PK as well), but this team needs a change.

right now our goal tending is the lone bright spot of this current goal drought nightmare. Berra doesn't get run support, no difference between 1-0 or 10-0 . 

I think if we were wanting to tank, Joey would have already been here

right now our goal tending is the lone bright spot of this current goal drought nightmare. Berra doesn't get run support, no difference between 1-0 or 10-0 . 

I think if we were wanting to tank, Joey would have already been here

Imagine! I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day! How rude!

Sorry Phoenix, but I give you 2 thumbs up for that post!

• Like 1

Not sure we can determine that. (purposely tanking). You certainly won't get anyone to admit it if it was true and the league would come down hard on anyone who did admit it.

Goaltending is not the main problem for our placement in the standings. Goaltending (present goaltenders ) may not end up as the solution. We have some other promising prospects too if these two (Berra & Ramo) aren't the ones.

I'm very interested to see what happens to the crease situation next year. The only thing I'm really confident of is that Ramo will be our NHL #1. His play has almost constantly improved since the start of the year, finally earning him a shutout last night. While I don't really see a skillset in him to be a top tier goalie, he should be able to (for next year at least) provide us with support enough to keep down the number of blowouts.

After that, it's really up in the air. No other goalie is signed on with the Flames yes for next season.The first thing that has to be determined is the Jon Gillies situation. If he signs in the offseason, he's almost assured a significant role with the Heat (think 25ish games minimum). Next would be the almost/assured re-signing of Joni Ortio. I could see him being either an NHL backup (same 25ish games) or the number 1 in the AHL.

Do you re-sign Berra? If so, let him and Ortio battle it out for the NHL backup job? If Berra is let go, we could see either Ortio shift up to the Flames, with Roy and Gillies splitting time with the Heat. Or, the more likely (IMO) option of a FA signing as a backup, giving Ortio more development time.

How do you see the crease situation going down next season?

Gillies showing at the WJC may have just set him back a year...per the Calgary Herald:

NO DECISION ON GILLIES — According to Brian Burke, Calgary may not try to sign G Jon Gillies after his splendid sophomore year at Providence. “I know there’s a lot of speculation that he’s going to be asked to turn pro after the season,” the Flames boss told the Providence Journal, “but we have not in fact made any determination yet . . . I met with him (Monday) and told him that.”

I am one of the biggest supporters on here for the WJC, but in terms of scouting, I feel its real value is finding talent that was otherwise off the radar or not apparent.

In terms of discrediting players, I don't see how you can do it with such a small sample size.  Especially for goaltenders on European ice.   Here we have a proven prospect at the US College level, and we disregard his accomplishments because of a handful of games at the WJC, which is generally a lower competition level?      

Blows my mind.  He would be perfect to start for the Heat next season.   Very unlikely Ortio will be there.

Next season is a really good question, personally I'd go with Ramo and Berra combo next season again.  Ramo is signed anyway and Berra would need to get locked in to a longer term.  Why?  Both are or could be trade assets next season with their current progression.

On heat I'd do what they are doing here with Ramo and Berra, only Orito and Gillies do the 50/50 split.  Why?  Well, gives Orito one more year as goalies take more time and this team has ruined top tier goalies in the past so giving them time to develop is best.  This only works though if Gillies is signed and can be there to push Orito, I think if there is no competition for Orito then it is a huge waste for him to be on the heat, he needs pressure and after his past few seasons he's been stellar but has had to prove himself, next year he has nothing to prove unless Gillies is there to challenge him for his job.

I think next season should pretty much go that way, only I figure Ramo gets a 2 yr extension on his contract and Berra gets a 2-4 yrs deal between 1-2 per season and that would be ideal.  Also I figure Orito and Gillies split the duty in Abby next year.

The year after that, I figure one of Ramo or Berra is traded Orito comes up and splits the duty with whoever stays (Ramo/Berra).

The year after that the remaining guy from Ramo/Berra is traded and Gillies is in with Orito and they battle it out for the next year or two till one or the other takes the job firmly, the other will probably be traded for a top end pick or prospect.

No Goaltender is not the area we need to worry about, start of the season yes because both Ramo and Berra were relatively unproven at the NHL level.  Now they are proving to be solid NHLers.

Just my thoughts on it but our current situation would support this course of action.

I am one of the biggest supporters on here for the WJC, but in terms of scouting, I feel its real value is finding talent that was otherwise off the radar or not apparent.

In terms of discrediting players, I don't see how you can do it with such a small sample size.  Especially for goaltenders on European ice.   Here we have a proven prospect at the US College level, and we disregard his accomplishments because of a handful of games at the WJC, which is generally a lower competition level?      

Blows my mind.  He would be perfect to start for the Heat next season.   Very unlikely Ortio will be there.

The bolded is where I think you might be losing a lot of people, JJ.  Either the WJC has talent equal-to or better-than North America ("talent that was otherwise off the radar or not apparent"), or there's not much talent elsewhere to go on ("the WJC, which is generally a lower competition level?")

...and the last bolded point ("lower competition level") is where I personally disagree, rightly or wrongly.  Canada *was* THE dominant hockey superpower for a long time, but the balance of power has been slowly draining away from Canada...and we, as a hockey-worshipping nation, are very reluctant to acknowledge this.  We're still among the elite, but we no longer stand alone in crowd.

Ramo has really passed Berra as the flames best option in net. I'm it will be difficult fore Hartley to move past his little project but I think Ramo deserved to get e ball and see if he can run with it. Not impressed by Berra as of late he can't shake giving up bad goals.

Ramo has really passed Berra as the flames best option in net. I'm it will be difficult fore Hartley to move past his little project but I think Ramo deserved to get e ball and see if he can run with it. Not impressed by Berra as of late he can't shake giving up bad goals.

I wouldn't really say he has passed Berra they are pretty even.... They both have their good nights and bad nights... and Berra has been picked for Olympics afterall can't be that bad :P

I wouldn't really say he has passed Berra they are pretty even.... They both have their good nights and bad nights... and Berra has been picked for Olympics afterall can't be that bad :P

Berra has been terrible in January. He was bad in November. Ramo has been MUCH better since getting an opportunity to play.