Luongo All But Done In Vancouver

tachaudh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would get even more interesting if taken to arbitration (regardless of who initiated it).

Schneider's agent has a good argument for 4.5+ as the playoffs showed the team has more trust in him then their 5.33 starter(?).

It can prevent offer sheets but put Gillis in a tough spot. If Luongo isn't traded before the decision it could leave him with $10 million tied up in goal so the GMs on the short list could low-ball the return on Roberto further(even the failure of confidence the Canucks showed has already given them a reason). If he walks away from the ruling Schneider becomes UFA but if he accepts Cory can't be traded that year gutting his bargaining position for Luongo further.

Schneider is a standup guy but his agent might convince him that after spending most of his career earning AHL $s it's time to make the big bucks (& the corresponding cut for the agent). & the rumors of a possible rollback in the new CBA would hurt less with a salary of 4.5 rather then 3.5.

This will be 1 of the most interesting things to follow.

Do you really think Schneider wants to hurt the trade value of his mentor, which in turns makes his own team weaker? Don't see why he would. If anything, he should do whatever it would take to make Luongo more attractive, thus getting a better return for what is his team.

Do you really think Schneider wants to hurt the trade value of his mentor, which in turns makes his own team weaker? Don't see why he would. If anything, he should do whatever it would take to make Luongo more attractive, thus getting a better return for what is his team.

You must have missed the part where I said Schneider's AGENT (twice).

Also, Schneider was well trained before being called up as Luongo's backup so the mentor part doesn't apply. :)

You must have missed the part where I said Schneider's AGENT (twice).

Also, Schneider was well trained before being called up as Luongo's backup so the mentor part doesn't apply. :)

You don't think Luongo taught him anything in 2 full years playing behind him?

Doesn't really matter if you think so or not I guess, he has said it himself on several occasions. Not even talking about the technical side, that's what Rollie was for.

Doesn't really matter if you think so or not I guess, he has said it himself on several occasions. Not even talking about the technical side, that's what Rollie was for.

You really can't take Schneider's statement at face value. You think he would ever say anything contrary to that? A reporter asks him what Luongo has taught him, you don't think Schneider is going to sell him to everyone and make him sound like a God? He would say it even if it was the farthest thing from the truth.

Yeah, he learned some things from Luongo.

Melanson showed Cory tape from some of Lou's games & said "Avoid doing that". :lol:

Apologies to tachaudh for starting a Luongo thread in NHL talk not seeing this one 1st, honest mistake.

Mods, can you kill mine or merge it into tachaudh's?

I seem to remember some discussion about AV not being happy about the goalie change, as though it were a forced decision. Any truth in that?

At any rate, can't think of a single reason for Lu to want to stay.

When the switch was made, I thought, "unless Schneider craps the bed, this is a decision you can't go back on".

With that, this turned out in likely the worst manner for the 'nucks.

That makes it a horrible decision.

It was a bad decision then, and now it's leaving this awful taste.

Not a Lu fan, but he definitely did nothing to deserve the appearance of being humiliated by the organization.

But life is just, he'll be traded and he'll haunt Vancouver because of this little situation.

I'm going to sit back and enjoy that part of it, because this story should never have existed.

Burke has come out and publically said he hates the long term deal and he fundamentally disagree with it and thinks the NHL needs to institute rules to prevent it so I think that takes him out of trading for Luongo. One thing you can say about Burke is he is principled so if he beleives that and has publically defended it he isn't going to change that all of a sudden.

I don't think Luongo is very tradable at all becuase he is not a top 10 goalie anymore and carries a brutal contract. I think he can be moved but your not going to get very much in return and you're going to have to take a bad contract on too. The Canucks may have to be open to keeping Luongo and trading Schendier given that I think you can get a big return for Schneider and you're going to have to swallow your pride a bit trading Luongo.

im surprised what im hearing. luongo has one of the worst contracts out there right now. hes paid more then his cap hit so that rules out the cap floor teams which are a lot of the teams who need a goalie. hes inconsistent when the pressure is on even though he plays on one of the best teams. hes getting up there in years but is paid nearly 7 mill until he will be 39 and another year after that until its reasonable to buyout. its such a ridiculous risk to take him on how many teams would really be interested. i cant imagine the canucks getting much if anything to get rid of him. he may not be a gomez but his contract still makes him a huge risk to be an albatross that destroys a team for a decade.

Apologies to tachaudh for starting a Luongo thread in NHL talk not seeing this one 1st, honest mistake.

Mods, can you kill mine or merge it into tachaudh's?

I seem to remember some discussion about AV not being happy about the goalie change, as though it were a forced decision. Any truth in that?

At any rate, can't think of a single reason for Lu to want to stay.

When the switch was made, I thought, "unless Schneider craps the bed, this is a decision you can't go back on".

With that, this turned out in likely the worst manner for the 'nucks.

That makes it a horrible decision.

It was a bad decision then, and now it's leaving this awful taste.

Not a Lu fan, but he definitely did nothing to deserve the appearance of being humiliated by the organization.

But life is just, he'll be traded and he'll haunt Vancouver because of this little situation.

I'm going to sit back and enjoy that part of it, because this story should never have existed.

Wouldn't the worst scenario have been Luongo shat the be for two games, then Schneider goes in a shats the bed for another two games? Luongo played well, Schneider played even better.

If we were going to lose in the first round in 5 games, this is about the best scenario possible with the goalies. We saw enough of Schneids to be confident going forward with him and Luongo didn't leave a sh*tty performance fresh on everyone's mind.

But then again when it comes to the Canucks, I tend to look at the positive and you (like most everyone here) find the negatives.

That only means Van has to take salary back to trade Luongo.

Gillis screwed this up, huge.

Now he wants everyone to "take a step back" and "don't make any rash decisions".

Right, you've got that covered Mike.

How about Booth?

Trading Hodgson for a "next year maybe" guy?

Isolating your star goalie?

"Now we all need to take a step back".

Don't know about "we all", but I can see one of us that should have.

Wouldn't the worst scenario have been Luongo shat the be for two games, then Schneider goes in a shats the bed for another two games?

Actually, no I don't agree... this scenario would have been way BETTER than what happened because at least if they both played bad, you wouldn't have this untenable controversy and the Nucks wouldn't find themselves handcuffed like they are (and Nuck fans could have spent the summer saying 'oh well, the goaltending went cold and that's why we lost).

If they both played bad, the Nucks could keep Luo as the #1 (and fans would have been able to accept that) and then put Schneider up on the market where they would have gotten a good return.

I would say the way things played out was just about as bad as they could have gone.

I think I'll just let the Flames fans discuss amongst themselves on the Canucks goalie issues from now on...

I think maybe you're misunderstanding what I'm saying as me just being negative because I don't champion the 'nucks' cause.

If Luongo had stayed in with the same result, fine, no controversy. When the switch happened, I thought, "if Schneider plays well, you can't reverse your decision so you best be winning this series".

Now it's good if you just look at the goalies and say, "great, we have 2 superb goalies".

But the optics of an Oly gold goalie that took you to SCF Game 7 last year sitting on the bench watching rd 1 slip away has caused a firestorm.

My hat tips a bit towards, "he has been the backbone of a growing into successful team, how could you cut him off at this point"?

So it has turned into a firestorm.

Now that isn't my fault, it makes me sick to hear 'analysts' in 1 breath say, "no fault of Luongo, and in the next breath, "so let's discuss possible teams vying for Luongo".

I don't "hate", as a general rule of thumb.

In fact, I feel compassion for Luongo, because it's looking like a bad, and it will be well publicized, break up.

I think maybe you're misunderstanding what I'm saying as me just being negative because I don't champion the 'nucks' cause.

If Luongo had stayed in with the same result, fine, no controversy. When the switch happened, I thought, "if Schneider plays well, you can't reverse your decision so you best be winning this series".

Now it's good if you just look at the goalies and say, "great, we have 2 superb goalies".

But the optics of an Oly gold goalie that took you to SCF Game 7 last year sitting on the bench watching rd 1 slip away has caused a firestorm.

My hat tips a bit towards, "he has been the backbone of a growing into successful team, how could you cut him off at this point"?

So it has turned into a firestorm.

Now that isn't my fault, it makes me sick to hear 'analysts' in 1 breath say, "no fault of Luongo, and in the next breath, "so let's discuss possible teams vying for Luongo".

I don't "hate", as a general rule of thumb.

In fact, I feel compassion for Luongo, because it's looking like a bad, and it will be well publicized, break up.

I think it's okay they went with Schneider in Game 3. But to come back with Schneider in an elimination game was the point of no return.

If Luongo lost Game 4 or 5, then you're returning next season in what could be portrayed as a dual goaltending situation which plays heavily into Gillis's favour because it would appear as though Luongo is not available. Gillis would then be able to act all like, "well, i don't want to trade him because he played well in the playoffs but if you sweeten the deal a bit..." But instead, Luongo isn't only available, he's being run out of town and was humiliated by the team during the playoffs.

It's not like it was Luongo's fault for losing Game 1 and 2. That's what's so awesome about this whole scenario.

• 3 weeks later...

yes his is

Yes who's is what?

I have NO idea what you are agreeing to here.

Anyway I think that it for sure is a bit of a goaltending controversy more so because of media than anything else.

That said Moving Lou's contract is gonna be tough in a perfect world, ina world where everyone things Lou want's out it becomes an impossibility if you want any kind of return.

He's a great positional goalie, probably one of the very best ever, but he's not an elite goalie, he's just not athletic or mentally tough enough for that.

Schneider is however very movable, and attractive to those on the outside looking in. Vancouver needs to get him signed to say a 3 year deal and then move him for assets. They could get a solid return and it puts to rest the goaltending controversy.

Yeah it's kind of a dick move on their part but it's about the only way they can make this turn out well for them.

• 1 month later...

It sounds to me like Schneider just wants a starting job and it doesn't matter if it's in Vancouver or anywhere else. He just wants a fair shot at being a starter. He probably prefers Vancouver but that's not a must.

I think $3.5-per for 3 years is fair. $3-mil-per for 3 years is a win for the Canucks. Anything like $3.5-per+ for 2 years is a win for Schneider.

On the RFA market, $3.1-mil to $4.7-mil requires a compensation of 1st round + 3rd round. I'm guessing teams could push the contract limits to $4.7-mil-per and make it difficult for the Canucks to keep both Schneider and Luongo. If there's a GM out there who really wants to take a chance because he's sold on Schneider, then maybe we could see something like $4.7-mil-per for 4 years or more.

That 3-3.5 figure would be SICK!

He is RFA so its possible.

I'm thinking Halak comparisons are fair... Halak's contract (3.75 for 4) plus a bit of inflation thrown in and i would be happy... Schneider @ $4mil for 3 or 4 seems like a great deal for him... altho still a gamble since at the end of the day he still isn't proven #1 material.

Others comparable RFAs:

Niemi - $3.8 for 4

Lehtonen - $3.6 for 3

Rinne - $3.4 for 2

Good call DL44. $12-mil for 3 years. A bit on the high side but the cap did move up significantly.

Seems Bobby lou wont be leaving the Vancouver Canucks he refuses to Waive his Ntc To goto Toronto Or Chicago And Florida doesnt want him or need him so he has Kinda Told the canucks your stuck with me

It seems as though Luongo might be softening his stance on the Hawks as a possibility...

I have to wonder how the Nucks faithful would feel about that... ;)

It seems as though Luongo might be softening his stance on the Hawks as a possibility...

I have to wonder how the Nucks faithful would feel about that... ;)

The hardest part would be that I would find it hard to cheer for the Hawks with Luongo, even though I will be cheering for Luongo after he leaves Vancouver.

The hardest part would be that I would find it hard to cheer for the Hawks with Luongo, even though I will be cheering for Luongo after he leaves Vancouver.

I can actually understand, appreciate and respect that sentiment...

As I think the bridge has been burned on both ends regarding Lou...

I also think that the Nucks may garner the best return for him via the Hawks...

I can actually understand, appreciate and respect that sentiment...

As I think the bridge has been burned on both ends regarding Lou...

I also think that the Nucks may garner the best return for him via the Hawks...

As much as I find it hard to see such a heated rival like Chicago trading for one of the more polarizing figures of the opposition, I would love to see it because a) they have a lot of quality pieces for a potential return and B) I'd love to see the reaction of the Hawks fans that have shat all over him for the last 3 years.

Archived