Young Stars Tourney.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta believe the boys will pull one out. They had some chances... in fact a lot of them in the first game. I hope Ortio stands on his head!

I'm predicting Bouma and Baertschi goals. Final score 2-1.

a low scoring game in a prospect tournament? :lol: I'd love it if that happened.

No Leach today.. Ohhhh dear.

Sounds like he did. Hopefully he controls his rebounds.

<_<

I'm not sure we as fans should really be looking at the win/loss record here (even as an Oilers fan who expects his team to dominate this event, maybe even win all 3 of our games,) but rather look at how different players fill their roles, and more importantly assess their different individual skills.(Reinhart really impressed me, faster and tougher than I thought, he's a guy Flames fans should keep an eye on over the next couple years.) Also you need to compare how a given player looks at the end of the tourney, compared to the beginning.

Even losing all 3 games in this thing isn't a disaster, it's shinny, and a fun way for the teams and fans to assess some up and coming guys. And a way for young players to get the attention of the big club.

Looks like Ortio can really shake off a bad game, he has looked decent so far, not spectacular but decent none the less.

Bryan Cameron seems to have better footspeed than last year, if he can improve his skating there may be hope for him yet.

Love how Reinhart and Holland have a nose for the net nd Negrin is looking pretty good too.

the game was good on both sides. Disappointed the Flames didn't win, but can't be disappointed with the efforts of any of the players.

The Flames' top 5 players:

1. Patrick Holland - no-brainer really. 2 goals, great all-around game.
  2. Dustin Sylvester - made some great plays and steals, including the pass on the Ferland goal.
  3. Sven Baertschi - once again was a handful from the center line up, and threw his body around.
  4. John Negrin - not as noticeable as yesterday, but was still the Flames' best defenseman.
  5. Max Reinhart - Had a spectacular start, but faded into the background by the 2nd period. Still, he didn't make many mistakes, and was solid at both ends.

an honourable mention goes to Joni Ortio for completely rebounding from his performance against the baby Sharks. He made a bunch of huge saves when the Canucks started to take control in the 3rd period.

Another honourable mention for Peter Kosterman, who was skating well all night. I really took notice of him in the 3rd period.

the Canucks' top 5 players:

1. Jordan Schroeder - dangerous every time he had the puck. Has quite the shot.
  2. Yann Sauve - the only times I noticed him were when he did something great. His excellent skating was on full display.
  3. Nicklas Jensen - solid all-around game. Does he ever have a shot!!!!
  4. Sebastian Erixon - made a few great plays, but was mostly just quietly solid.
  5. Kellan Tochkin - speedy and hungry for goals.

the game was good on both sides. Disappointed the Flames didn't win, but can't be disappointed with the efforts of any of the players.

The Flames' top 5 players:

1. Patrick Holland - no-brainer really. 2 goals, great all-around game.
  2. Dustin Sylvester - made some great plays and steals, including the pass on the Ferland goal.
  3. Sven Baertschi - once again was a handful from the center line up, and threw his body around.
  4. John Negrin - not as noticeable as yesterday, but was still the Flames' best defenseman.
  5. Max Reinhart - Had a spectacular start, but faded into the background by the 2nd period. Still, he didn't make many mistakes, and was solid at both ends.

an honourable mention goes to Joni Ortio for completely rebounding from his performance against the baby Sharks. He made a bunch of huge saves when the Canucks started to take control in the 3rd period.

Another honourable mention for Peter Kosterman, who was skating well all night. I really took notice of him in the 3rd period.

Thanks for the color commentary, really surprised that Baertschi's been throwing his weight around. I'm thrilled with the reviews he's getting. Sounds like a solid pickup by Feaster. Who has looked like they could surprise at main camp so far?

Thanks for the color commentary, really surprised that Baertschi's been throwing his weight around. I'm thrilled with the reviews he's getting. Sounds like a solid pickup by Feaster. Who has looked like they could surprise at main camp so far?

Negrin IMO is the only I have seen that looks like he could push for a spot. He has a little of everything in his game. He is skating well, he has a physical element, he is defensively aware and he can pinch effectively. I haven't gotten a feel on his outlet passes or anything yet but its only been 2 games

I only caught the tail end of the second and then the third. Ferland seemed to be all over the offensive zone moving very fast to the net and then switching quickly to the boards. Was he doing the same all night or just the lead up to his goal? He appears to be a spark plug type player with great energy and good hands and some decent speed (maybe another GlenX?)

I only caught the tail end of the second and then the third. Ferland seemed to be all over the offensive zone moving very fast to the net and then switching quickly to the boards. Was he doing the same all night or just the lead up to his goal? He appears to be a spark plug type player with great energy and good hands and some decent speed (maybe another GlenX?)

please don't say GlenX, we aren't lazy inbred mullet wearing folk like in Edmonton

and I highly doubt he will be anything like Glencross, he doesn't have the same offensive ability

I am really glad, that this tournament can be seen via internet. I enjoyed watching the first 2 games (well maybe the first not so much:))

Players who I think played good/solid in both games are: Negrin, Holland, Baertschi, Reinhardt and Ferland

Negrin's game looked really good, he has a chance to compete for a spot IMO. One thing he could work on is his shot.

Yesterday I really liked our first line of Baertschi, Reinhardt and Holland. Ortio and Brodie had better games and this Sylvester kid also looked good. Another guy who played solid IMO is D Kosterman.

Unfortunately I will not be able to watch the game against the Oilers, but am awaiting the thoughts and reports from you guys. Thanks in advance!

GlenX...GlenX...GlenX...GlenX...GlenX :P

......and my inbred mullet-wearing friends in Edmonton are NOT lazy!!!!!!!

really? then maybe illiterate is the way to go since they can never spell out a players name they always have to abbreviate it

why would they break up those two lines?

to try the players in different roles

I only saw the first half of last nights game and I was impressed by a couple of players not previously mentioned...

Justin Dowling and Logan Macmillan both look like they'll be NHLer's someday...Dowling reminds me of a Langkow type player...

I must add that I'm completely disgusted in what I've seen from TJ Brodie at this point...He should be dominating these games and controlling the play when he is on the ice... I heard that he has motivation problems and his play suffered when he was first sent down last year...This doesn't bode well for one of our top prospects...

I only saw the first half of last nights game and I was impressed by a couple of players not previously mentioned...

Justin Dowling and Logan Macmillan both look like they'll be NHLer's someday...Dowling reminds me of a Langkow type player...

I must add that I'm completely disgusted in what I've seen from TJ Brodie at this point...He should be dominating these games and controlling the play when he is on the ice... I heard that he has motivation problems and his play suffered when he was first sent down last year...This doesn't bode well for one of our top prospects...

Brodie got severely overrated because of a good camp, I doubt he is ready for full-time NHL duty until after his ELC expires. Then again the coaches could have told him to focus on the defensive game in this tourney

re Logan McMillan... I was watching him closely as well and while I was impressed by his hustle, speed and positioning, I felt he dislpayed a complete lack of finish that would be required to go to the next level.

As for Brodie... I agree he hasn't played well but I think the implication may be a bit harsh. I think it is just a case of him, as a more experienced player, not having the same adrenaline level and maybe being guilty of under-estimating the competition a bit. Seeing more experineced guys not play great in these types of tournaments is not unusual. How he plays in camp is the only thing that matters.

Brodie got severely overrated because of a good camp, I doubt he is ready for full-time NHL duty until after his ELC expires. Then again the coaches could have told him to focus on the defensive game in this tourney

I think that is part of it. But for me its how smooth he is on the ice. It really speaks for his potential. Also, unlike some here, I thought he was one of the better D last game. He got beat on the last play of the game. But so did Reinhert. The Canucks got a step on the Flames and maintained a good rush. Brodie and the rest of the team ended up a step behind.

It also looks like most of the D are struggling in general. Which makes sense since they are basically playing shinny without any prior practice.

I don't think he makes the team out of camp. But I do think he has a real chance of making it at some point in the season.

It also looks like most of the D are struggling in general. Which makes sense since they are basically playing shinny without any prior practice.

I hope Leach plays against the Oilers. He was one of the better players in the first game. Hopefully they put him back with Negrin, because that was a heck of a pair.

Lines for tonight, courtesy of the main site http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=588433&navid=DL|CGY|home:

Holland - Reinhart - Baertschi

Bancks - Sylvester - Nemisz

Bouma - Wahl - Elson

MacMillion - Horak - Howse

Negrin - Brodie

Kosterman - Martin

Leach - Jackson

I am glad they kept the top line together. I am also looking forward to seeing Brodie and Negrin together. The Horak line is also interesting.

Baertschi is looking good again tonight. May not make the big club this year but his future looks pretty darn good. I am amazed at the strength he has on his skates.

Looks really good tonight. Best player on the ice by far. Broken record statement, but Reinhert and Holland look good again tonight. Bouma looks decent on the PK.

Good games, good tourney. Baertschi got better every game. I am glad they left Ortio in. He also improved every game. Brodie has flashes and clearly has the right tool box. But his judgement is off.

Baertschi, Brodie, Negrin, Holland, Bouma, Reinhert, and Nemisz should get a look at big boy camp. Though short of unexpected progress I don't see any of them making it out of camp. Though the Heat players may see an injury call-up. Bouma in particular. Brodie, Negrin, and Nemisz need another season in the AHL I think. Especially with Henry, Smith, and Wilson available for call-up.

Sylvester and Martin should be considered for AHL contracts (I think Sylvester already got one).

The only disappointments for me were Breen, Wahl, and Howse. I was expecting more from Breen after coaching and management have been selling him. Wahl was just not around. Maybe I just missed him. It wasn't anything he did bad. I just wanted to see more. Howse wasn't good. He was nearly invisible.

Archived