Young Stars Tourney.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really have an issue with Breen's play, other than the 1 play he coughed up the puck for a goal on the boards. He is one of those proto-typical 5-6 defensive minded Dmen with big size. Basically he is a bigger Pardy. The coaching staff never said he would be top 4, but he is NHL ready. If you really expected much more from him than you were expecting too much.

For me, Wahl was a major let down. He was likely the one prospect that I was really looking to see more from. I know he is not a high end skill player, but I expected more out of him defensively and definitely better decision making. Honestly in game 1 when he had open room to skate and made a no look backhand pass across the ice to... NO ONE really says it all about his overall play that I saw.

Howse was not so much a let down for me because he wasn't really put with high end scoring talent through the tourney. We all know he can score, so do the coaches. As Ring pointed out, I think it was Ring, they likely wanted to see more of his defensive game in the tourney. See how he could play more positionally. If you watch some of the coaches interviews on players like Cameron, they try to give players all of the necessary tools to play at the NHL level. Few players who were "goal scorers" in Juniors ever turn into "goal scorers" in the NHL. Many players need to take on more energy or defensive roles. Give them a couple of seasons to expand their skills in other roles and they have a better chance of playing with the parent club in their career. This is likely what is happening with Howse. You will likely see much the same with Horak this year. If Granlund signs with the Flames and comes over to play in the AHL for a couple of seasons, you will likely see him in that position as well.

Overall not disappointed with many of the youngsters. Wahl really was my only real let down. Some of the guys were so so while others really made me take notice.

I don't really have an issue with Breen's play, other than the 1 play he coughed up the puck for a goal on the boards. He is one of those proto-typical 5-6 defensive minded Dmen with big size. Basically he is a bigger Pardy. The coaching staff never said he would be top 4, but he is NHL ready. If you really expected much more from him than you were expecting too much.

For me, Wahl was a major let down. He was likely the one prospect that I was really looking to see more from. I know he is not a high end skill player, but I expected more out of him defensively and definitely better decision making. Honestly in game 1 when he had open room to skate and made a no look backhand pass across the ice to... NO ONE really says it all about his overall play that I saw.

Howse was not so much a let down for me because he wasn't really put with high end scoring talent through the tourney. We all know he can score, so do the coaches. As Ring pointed out, I think it was Ring, they likely wanted to see more of his defensive game in the tourney. See how he could play more positionally. If you watch some of the coaches interviews on players like Cameron, they try to give players all of the necessary tools to play at the NHL level. Few players who were "goal scorers" in Juniors ever turn into "goal scorers" in the NHL. Many players need to take on more energy or defensive roles. Give them a couple of seasons to expand their skills in other roles and they have a better chance of playing with the parent club in their career. This is likely what is happening with Howse. You will likely see much the same with Horak this year. If Granlund signs with the Flames and comes over to play in the AHL for a couple of seasons, you will likely see him in that position as well.

Overall not disappointed with many of the youngsters. Wahl really was my only real let down. Some of the guys were so so while others really made me take notice.

how can Wahl be a let down when he was playing his first 2 games in 9 months, sometimes guys deserve a bit of a break and a guy coming back after missing almost the entire season with a concussion is one of those cases

how can Wahl be a let down when he was playing his first 2 games in 9 months, sometimes guys deserve a bit of a break and a guy coming back after missing almost the entire season with a concussion is one of those cases

that's a fair comment.

I was also disappointed in Wahl. People keep talking about him but in the 5 or 6 times I've seen him play, he has never done anything and I keep wondering what all the fuss is about.

However, you are right about the concussion and I will reserve judgement for now.

that's a fair comment.

I was also disappointed in Wahl. People keep talking about him but in the 5 or 6 times I've seen him play, he has never done anything and I keep wondering what all the fuss is about.

However, you are right about the concussion and I will reserve judgement for now.

Wahl isn't ever going to be a flashy guy who puts up alot of points. He would be an ideal #3 center IMO, as he skates well, is solid defensively, plays with alot of energy and heart and has good enough passing ability to make himself a 30-35 point center.

another excellent game. I'm sure everyone who was in the chat with me will tell you how annoying I was about calling attention to how calm Ortio looked last night :)

top players for the Flames:

1. Sven Baertschi -- Baertschi was the best player on the ice. 2 goals to cap off a solid tourney. Good job, kid.
  2. Max Reinhart -- Once again, brought a great 2-way game to the rink. Outplayed his counterpart, Anton Lander.
  3. Patrick Holland -- solid once more. I DIDN'T KNOW HE COULD DEKE!!!!!
  4. Joni Ortio -- Played like a pro. His angles were nearly perfect, his movement was precise and controlled.
  5. Lance Bouma -- Dominated the game physically, scored a goal, and had a fight.

honourable mention to James Martin for being solid and playing a big role.

Though his timing in the offensive zone was off, I thought Brodie's defensive game deserved some recognition. I remember vividly one play on the PK where he went into the corner after 2 Oilers--and came away with the puck, helping to clear it from the zone.

Greg Nemisz had a fairly solid game as well (3 partial breakaways lol) aside from the giveaway on the Pitlick goal.

top 5 Oilers:

1. Anton Lander -- The best Oiler, bar none. Great 2-way center with a heck of a shot.
  2. Tyler Pitlick -- Superb 2-way center with a shifty game style. How many steals did he have?
  3. Adam Brown -- Awfully good for a no-name goalie. With Bill Arnold in NCAA, he had the most boring name in the game.
  4. Curtis Hamilton -- Dangerous and smart player with a heavy shot.
  5. David Musil -- didn't notice him at all... that's a good thing, right?

And there are no words for how awful Martin Marincin is. I've never seen a player consistently make so many bad decisions and still score a goal..

another excellent game. I'm sure everyone who was in the chat with me will tell you how annoying I was about calling attention to how calm Ortio looked last night :)

top players for the Flames:

1. Sven Baertschi -- Baertschi was the best player on the ice. 2 goals to cap off a solid tourney. Good job, kid.
  2. Max Reinhart -- Once again, brought a great 2-way game to the rink. Outplayed his counterpart, Anton Lander.
  3. Patrick Holland -- solid once more. I DIDN'T KNOW HE COULD DEKE!!!!!
  4. Joni Ortio -- Played like a pro. His angles were nearly perfect, his movement was precise and controlled.
  5. Lance Bouma -- Dominated the game physically, scored a goal, and had a fight.

honourable mention to James Martin for being solid and playing a big role.

Though his timing in the offensive zone was off, I thought Brodie's defensive game deserved some recognition. I remember vividly one play on the PK where he went into the corner after 2 Oilers--and came away with the puck, helping to clear it from the zone.

Greg Nemisz had a fairly solid game as well (3 partial breakaways lol) aside from the giveaway on the Pitlick goal.

top 5 Oilers:

1. Anton Lander -- The best Oiler, bar none. Great 2-way center with a heck of a shot.
  2. Tyler Pitlick -- Superb 2-way center with a shifty game style. How many steals did he have?
  3. Adam Brown -- Awfully good for a no-name goalie. With Bill Arnold in NCAA, he had the most boring name in the game.
  4. Curtis Hamilton -- Dangerous and smart player with a heavy shot.
  5. David Musil -- didn't notice him at all... that's a good thing, right?

And there are no words for how awful Martin Marincin is. I've never seen a player consistently make so many bad decisions and still score a goal..

HES SO CALM!!! I like the selection of people. My fav was reinhart though. He played well through the whole tourney and was on the top 3 stars in all of the games (for flames anyways) Cant wait to see how he develops. Sven Baertschi Was my second fav. Can see why he was a high pick for sure.

I think, unfortunately, that Wotherspoon is hurt, so we may not see much of him over the course of this tourney.

My expectation is that the Flames will beat San Jose. Of course, if the Flames dress only players on try-outs, it might not happen, but San Jose is one of the few systems in the league worse than Calgary's (the other is Winnipeg).

They have a chance against Vancouver, but there's slightly more depth on the Nucks' side. And the Flames will probably want Baertschi, Ortio, Reinhart, and Brodie to play against the Oilers. So, probably a loss.

I don't think I have to tell you how unlikely it is for the Flames to beat the Oilers in this thing.

so, my prediction for the tournament is a 1-2 record. Just like last year.

Players I'll be watching are... well all of them. But I'll pay particular attention to John Negrin, assuming I can catch all the games.

Nice predictions, your 1-2 yourself. :)

I like the look of Ortio, pretty obvious after this tourney that he'll be behind Irving in Abbotsford. I would have thought we'd see more of the other goalies during games, but I guess the assumption is they'll go back to junior.

I think Baertschi and Reinhart were Calgary's two best players of the tournament. The most impressive player of the tournament would be Patrick Holland, I am completely enamored with this kid now. He plays a solid two-way game, goes to the net hard and shows some offensive upside. I don't think he'll be anything more than a 3rd liner in the future but if you can land a solid everyday 3rd liner with a 7th round pick you are doing alright.

I thought James Martin looked solid in the tournament and if the Heat didn't already have alot of depth on D I think he earned an AHL contract.

I think Baertschi and Reinhart were Calgary's two best players of the tournament. The most impressive player of the tournament would be Patrick Holland, I am completely enamored with this kid now. He plays a solid two-way game, goes to the net hard and shows some offensive upside. I don't think he'll be anything more than a 3rd liner in the future but if you can land a solid everyday 3rd liner with a 7th round pick you are doing alright.

I thought James Martin looked solid in the tournament and if the Heat didn't already have alot of depth on D I think he earned an AHL contract.

wit hthe injuries the Heat have had the past few years I would still give him a contract, I would even go a step further and offer him an ELC so we can put him in the WHL as am overager if needed

I really enjoyed the tourney. It is great to get to be able to see Flames prospects, especially when you live in another province.

I had a couple of thoughts.

Guys who I was disappointed in-- Ryan Howse League, Mitch wAHL. Just kidding, but I expected more from both of these guys.

Younger guys who I was impressed with--- Like most people the Reinhart, Sven, Holland line. But they were a combined -9, which shows me they have some work to do yet. I thought they showed a lot of potential though.

Guys I was unfmiliar with but impressed with --- Martin, Sylvester

Guys I was unfamiliar with and unimpressed with --- Jackson, Elson, Gal

Something I was impressed with from an organizational standpoint was we actually had developmental goals for our players. Committing to develop Ortio over the course of the tourney to make sure he was ready for a backup role in Abby was IMO a great strategy, and allowing Max-Sven-Pat to develop as a line once they showed chemistry rather than mixing it up, was another highlight for me.

I think we are seeing a departure from the old Flames philosophy and moving into a more thoughtful era. Thank god, our player development has not been great.

I watched the game again late last night, and Martin stuck out again for me. I really like this guy.

Younger guys who I was impressed with--- Like most people the Reinhart, Sven, Holland line. But they were a combined -9, which shows me they have some work to do yet. I thought they showed a lot of potential though.

I think a lot of that is carryover from the first game (you know, the 6-1 loss?). Sven wasn't even on that line, as I think he was with Horak and Bancks or something like that. Howse was playing with Holland and Reinhart.

I didn't see a lot of things to dislike about any of the three, though Baertschi did sometimes look a little lost in the defensive zone (his positioning was good, though, so there's hope). I had no problems with Baertschi-Reinhart-Holland as a line, as any shortcomings on Baertschi's defensive side were made up by Max's and Jack's strong 2-way games.

I was at the game at the UofC last night and it was a fast paced, intense, and entertaining hockey game. Also, there were at least 2,000 people there I would guess (haven't heard any official attendance numbers).

No surprise, the best players on the ice were Baertchi and Brodie (again). Reinhart didn't play so Horak was between Baertchi and Holland. Holland looked good. Horak was ok.

This was my first chance to see Wahl live and again, I just didn't see much. I do not see what the fuss is about. I was a defensive defenseman as a player and I can appreciate a two-way centerman, but I am not even seeing that from him. His positioning was fine, but he never seemed to help his defensemen get out of the zone. Even playing against the Dinos (with all due respect, and quite frankly, I was impressed with their overall speed and especially with the intensity that they showed in this game), he generated nothing through the neutral zone and there was no creativity offensively. I just don't get it.

I just can't say enough about Baertchi - he just thinks the game faster than the rest of the kids out there. I can't wait to see him play with and against the pros in camp.

Nothing really happened offensively for Sylvester, but I like the way he plays and I was still impressed with him. Ferland as well.

Brodie skates so well and has poise with the puck. I know he didn't play real well defensively in the prospects tourney and that part of his game needs work, but I still think he is a good NHL defenseman waiting to happen.

I really haven't heard much positive about Wahl for a while. It is really quite sad. I don't know if his development was hampered by his injury or if he simply reached his potential early and hasn't progressed since junior (it happens). I am still hoping that he is able to step it up, but looking at some of the drafting and acquisitions made by the Flames this summer, it looks to me like they have lost faith in Wahl, maybe even Patterson, and that the prospect tournament kind of showed that.

Patterson is more your typical 4th line centre and always has been. Solid on the check, plays a gritty game and thus may actually stick around longer. From what I have seen so far this year, Wahl simply has not really impressed me in any way. Who knows what the coaches and management were looking for though.

If anyone else has thoughts about Wahl, I am open to hearing them as I can only go by what I saw at the Tourney and what some posters have put on these boards. I would be very happy if I am wrong.

I really haven't heard much positive about Wahl for a while. It is really quite sad. I don't know if his development was hampered by his injury or if he simply reached his potential early and hasn't progressed since junior (it happens). I am still hoping that he is able to step it up, but looking at some of the drafting and acquisitions made by the Flames this summer, it looks to me like they have lost faith in Wahl, maybe even Patterson, and that the prospect tournament kind of showed that.

Patterson is more your typical 4th line centre and always has been. Solid on the check, plays a gritty game and thus may actually stick around longer. From what I have seen so far this year, Wahl simply has not really impressed me in any way. Who knows what the coaches and management were looking for though.

If anyone else has thoughts about Wahl, I am open to hearing them as I can only go by what I saw at the Tourney and what some posters have put on these boards. I would be very happy if I am wrong.

Give Wahl a couple of months to get caught up. Then judge him. I don't think the Flame drafting or acquisitions have anything at all to do with Wahl. One way or another.

for the last time. Wahl just missed 9 months with a concussion so he couldn't even exert energy for a large period of time, let alone actually work out. He has played 3 games since he was hurt something like 9 months ago, give him some time

Ring, are you simply an argumentative person that you have to find SOMETHING to argue about? There are times when I agree with your statements, but so many others I just scratch my head.

Players other than Wahl coming off of significant injuries last year: Carter Bancks 29 games last season (Concussion I believe, it was discussed during the tournament when he fought in the first game), John Negrin 24 games last season (Knee I think),

Both of these players were considered by myself and others to have been near the top of the prospects to be showing promise. Yes Wahl only had 17 games compared to 7 and 12 games more last season for the other 2.

I also said that I there was a chance it was still lingering affects from the injury. I also said that I hope he can turn things around and develop in a good way this year. Instead you took only a small part of my post and nitpick saying that it MUST be the injury.

I don't deny it could still be the effects of the injury. All I said was that he didn't impress me during the tournament and I was in fact disappointed. If he doesn't pick it up in camp, there is no point keeping him around for long the same as anyone else who doesn't perform. With the other players who have played for the heat, have NHL experience and the new centres who have been brought in, it is becoming more difficult for Wahl to earn a spot on the big club. Injury or not, he is fighting for roster spots on the Flames and /or Heat and a lack of performance drops him on the depth charts. That is professional sports.

Ring, are you simply an argumentative person that you have to find SOMETHING to argue about? There are times when I agree with your statements, but so many others I just scratch my head.

Players other than Wahl coming off of significant injuries last year: Carter Bancks 29 games last season (Concussion I believe, it was discussed during the tournament when he fought in the first game), John Negrin 24 games last season (Knee I think),

Both of these players were considered by myself and others to have been near the top of the prospects to be showing promise. Yes Wahl only had 17 games compared to 7 and 12 games more last season for the other 2.

I also said that I there was a chance it was still lingering affects from the injury. I also said that I hope he can turn things around and develop in a good way this year. Instead you took only a small part of my post and nitpick saying that it MUST be the injury.

I don't deny it could still be the effects of the injury. All I said was that he didn't impress me during the tournament and I was in fact disappointed. If he doesn't pick it up in camp, there is no point keeping him around for long the same as anyone else who doesn't perform. With the other players who have played for the heat, have NHL experience and the new centres who have been brought in, it is becoming more difficult for Wahl to earn a spot on the big club. Injury or not, he is fighting for roster spots on the Flames and /or Heat and a lack of performance drops him on the depth charts. That is professional sports.

When someone says something as asinine as "I really haven't heard much positive about Wahl for a while. It is really quite sad" it irks me because of course you haven't heard anything positive about Wahl, HE WASN'T PLAYING!

I can see bringing up Bancks (to a point) because like Wahl he had a concussion. Although we don`t know how serious they were in comparison to each other or when each became symptom free. If Bancks was able to start working out in June and Wahl in August there would be an incredible difference in their conditioning. Plus every person comes back differently from injuries, people argued Matthew Lombardi`s concussion in the 2004 playoffs was the reason for him struggling in 2005-06

Negrin can`t compare because he was still able to stay in shape, where as with a serious concussion you can`t do ANYTHING.

Bancks also came back towards the end of last season, so he had all offseason to work out. We don't know how long it was before Wahl could... you know, move.

and it wasn't just one serious injury for Wahl last season--it was 3. First, he played 12 games, then got hurt. Then he came back, played 2 games, got a neck injury. Then he came back yet again, played 3 games, and got a shattered cheek bone and a concussion. Actually seems more like 4 injuries.

Negrin was out because a pin in his knee cap--which had been broken and was healing--broke, and he had to get an operation to replace the pin and fix the damage the break caused. When he came back, he couldn't skate properly, but he did have the whole summer to get better. And watching the youngstars games, it's fairly clear that he has his stride back now, so I'm guessing he was able to fully recover over the course of the summer.

Archived