Young Stars Tourney.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I'm watching it now (recorded it) and I think this would have been a closer game if we had a goalie who stopped pucks (ouch Ortio...I hope it was just a bad night). Baertschi was just flying out there, Horak seems like a decent pickup, Negrin might be closer to an NHL spot than many think.

Let's wreck the Nucks tomorrow...

I think that Negrin is definitely a good skater, but I saw some holes in his game in some of his decision making. Not to say it was all bad, but to me there were some issues he needs to work on especially playing the puck close to his own blue line. I can't say any of the other Flames D really did any better. They all seemed to be nervous about taking the extra second or 2 before moving the puck. I hope it was just first game nerves. We will see how the next 2 games pan out.

6-1 final. Horak scored on a penalty shot late in the third.

I think that Negrin is definitely a good skater, but I saw some holes in his game in some of his decision making. Not to say it was all bad, but to me there were some issues he needs to work on especially playing the puck close to his own blue line. I can't say any of the other Flames D really did any better. They all seemed to be nervous about taking the extra second or 2 before moving the puck. I hope it was just first game nerves. We will see how the next 2 games pan out.

Negrin and Leach were the best defensemen on either team IMO. I said this in the chat during the game, but if Heemskerk/Anderson had been playing like Ortio, the score would have been more like 18-6. His awfulness (sorry Joni, but it's true) magnified any mistakes made by the D. As it is, Negrin made like 3 bad decisions in the whole game--and one of them was on the scoring chance where he held the puck too long.

The lines have been confirmed by Steinberg

Bouma-Wahl-Nemisz

Baertschi-Horak-Bancks

Holland-Reinhart-Howse

Patterson-Gal-Ferland

Brodie Negrin

Breen Jackson

Leach Martin

Ortio starting

Ring was pretty darn close.

All I did was put guys together that could be playing together this year or we want playing together in the future (WHL eligible guys)

Granlund is not playing in the tournament for a couple of reasons, 1. I believe he is going back to Europe this year for more playing time at that level. 2 (the more important one) Granlund is not signed to a contract with the Flames or their system and therefore cannot play in this tournament.

Ramage, as stated earlier is back in class at school and therefore cannot make the tournament. Please read earlier posts before asking about specific players.

I am not sure why Byron isn't going.

As for "all the UFA's we signed" they are no longer on entry level contracts (the same as Irving and Meyer) and therefore are not eligible to play.

Grndlund is not playing because the European hockey season has already started, his contract status is irrelevant as several guys are not signed that will be playing.

You are right about Ramage, plus he would have to pay his own way. He would have to pay for flight/bus fare to the tourney, his own lodging for the tourney... etc. NCAA rules are so strict that when they attend the summer rookie camps they have to return the team socks or they can lose eligibility.

Byron has played too many pro games. Same reason Backlund was not there.

The UFAs have all played too many pro games as well, nothing to do with not being on their ELCs.

Sorry Baalzamon, I didn't mean to be offensive. Negrin was likely one of the best D in the game, but I am not so sure that meant he was stellar. He had some good plays and some not so good. I didn't see anything glaring, like you said the scoring chance holding too long, but none of the D from either team really seemed to have much going for them pass wise coming out of their own end. So often the play in the neutral zone had the puck bouncing from team to team. Whether it was bad passes or receivers not paying attention I can't say for sure. It was pretty much every player on the ice having this issue.

I think Negrin made a strong comment though with his play that, as long as he keeps it up, he will likely be getting a solid look in Pre-season. I think it is well deserved. He definitely played better than either Brodie or Breen.

I think overall it was players trying to get used to each other and nerves seemed to play a role big time for the Flames. Hopefully today shows a big turnaround since the first game is now behind them.

Sorry Baalzamon, I didn't mean to be offensive. Negrin was likely one of the best D in the game, but I am not so sure that meant he was stellar. He had some good plays and some not so good. I didn't see anything glaring, like you said the scoring chance holding too long, but none of the D from either team really seemed to have much going for them pass wise coming out of their own end. So often the play in the neutral zone had the puck bouncing from team to team. Whether it was bad passes or receivers not paying attention I can't say for sure. It was pretty much every player on the ice having this issue.

I think Negrin made a strong comment though with his play that, as long as he keeps it up, he will likely be getting a solid look in Pre-season. I think it is well deserved. He definitely played better than either Brodie or Breen.

I think overall it was players trying to get used to each other and nerves seemed to play a role big time for the Flames. Hopefully today shows a big turnaround since the first game is now behind them.

no offense taken. I know what you mean about the dmen. I personally didn't notice a single one of SJ's dmen as individuals with the occasional exception of Taylor Doherty.

Archived