Young Stars Tourney.

Calgary takes the following with them this weekend and coming week.

Forwards:

Sven Baertschi, Portland (WHL)

Carter Bancks, Abbotsford (AHL)

Lance Bouma, Abbotsford (AHL)

Bryan Cameron, Abbotsford (AHL)

Justin Dowling, Swift Current (WHL)

Tuner Elson, Red Deer (WHL)

Michael Ferland, Brandon (WHL)

Blake Gal, Spokane (WHL)

Patrick Holland, Tri-City (WHL)

Roman Horak, Chilliwack (WHL)

Ryan Howse, Chilliwack (WHL)

Logan MacMillan, Abbotsford (AHL)

Greg Nemisz, Abbotsford (AHL)

Gaelan Patterson, Abbotsford (AHL)

Max Reinhart, Kootenay (WHL)

C.J. Severyn, Ohio State (CCHA)

Dustin Sylvester, Freiburg FHC (Germany II)

Mitch Wahl, Abbotsford (AHL)

Blueline:

Chris Breen, Abbotsford (AHL)

T.J. Brodie, Abbotsford (AHL)

Dallas Ehrhardt, Moose Jaw (WHL)

Reid Jackson, Lethbridge (WHL)

Peter Kosterman, Calgary (WHL)

Joey Leach, Kootenay (WHL)

James Martin, Kootenay (WHL)

John Negrin, Abbotsford (AHL)

Tyler Wotherspoon, Portland (WHL)

Goal:

Laurent Brossoit, Edmonton (WHL)

Andrew Engelage, Utah (ECHL)

Joni Ortio, TPS Turku (Finland Elite)

I gathered this list from the article over on Flames Nation by Pat Stienburg.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see the Flames dress a lineup like this (and roll 3 lines) in one of the games:

Bouma - Wahl - Nemisz

Howse - Horak - Bancks

Baertschi - Reinhart - Holland

Ferland - Patterson - Severyn

Breen - Brodiie

Negrin - Wotherspoon

Leeach - Martin

Ortio

Brossoit

It is tough to predict the lines since I am sure they will change dramatically over the tournament. I posted the following on another site earlier today. Pretty similar to yours.

Baertschi-Bouma-Nemisz

MacMillan-Wahl-Howse

Bancks-Reinhart-Holland

Ferland-Sylvester-Cameron

Breen-Brodie

Wotherspoon-Negrin

Leach-Martin

I think, unfortunately, that Wotherspoon is hurt, so we may not see much of him over the course of this tourney.

My expectation is that the Flames will beat San Jose. Of course, if the Flames dress only players on try-outs, it might not happen, but San Jose is one of the few systems in the league worse than Calgary's (the other is Winnipeg).

They have a chance against Vancouver, but there's slightly more depth on the Nucks' side. And the Flames will probably want Baertschi, Ortio, Reinhart, and Brodie to play against the Oilers. So, probably a loss.

I don't think I have to tell you how unlikely it is for the Flames to beat the Oilers in this thing.

so, my prediction for the tournament is a 1-2 record. Just like last year.

Players I'll be watching are... well all of them. But I'll pay particular attention to John Negrin, assuming I can catch all the games.

I am a little bit between Ring and Kehatch on this one. I really like the look of Kehatch's top line. Baertschi / Bouma / Nemisz should be very potent. I would however like to see if Horak and Howse still have chemistry and can add another to that Chemistry on a second line. I think Bancks would fit well on that line, or MacMillan. Wahl, Reinhart and Patterson fight it out for 3-4 centre. Roll through the remainder of the team on the 3-4 wings. I like your D lines so leave them as such. Ortio and Broissoit should get the bulk of playing time in net.

I am a little bit between Ring and Kehatch on this one. I really like the look of Kehatch's top line. Baertschi / Bouma / Nemisz should be very potent. I would however like to see if Horak and Howse still have chemistry and can add another to that Chemistry on a second line. I think Bancks would fit well on that line, or MacMillan. Wahl, Reinhart and Patterson fight it out for 3-4 centre. Roll through the remainder of the team on the 3-4 wings. I like your D lines so leave them as such. Ortio and Broissoit should get the bulk of playing time in net.

I ran into an article today that said they want to see if Baertschi and Reinhert develop chemistry. If true expect them to be together. Horak and Howse may be grouped together. However, they are projected to play at different levels so I am not sold that the club will group them together.

Possibley Howse-Bouma-Nemisz and Baertschi-Reinhert-Holland. Who knows though. Its really tough to project the lines.

Granlund is not playing in the tournament for a couple of reasons, 1. I believe he is going back to Europe this year for more playing time at that level. 2 (the more important one) Granlund is not signed to a contract with the Flames or their system and therefore cannot play in this tournament.

Ramage, as stated earlier is back in class at school and therefore cannot make the tournament. Please read earlier posts before asking about specific players.

I am not sure why Byron isn't going.

As for "all the UFA's we signed" they are no longer on entry level contracts (the same as Irving and Meyer) and therefore are not eligible to play.

I am not sure why Byron isn't going.

too many professional games played.

according to this from the official site, the lineup is

Bouma - Wahl - Nemisz

Baertschi - Horak - Bancks

Holland - Reinhart - Howse

Patterson - Gal - Ferland

Brodie - Breen

Negrin - Jackson

Leach - Martin

Ortio

I would hope that Bancks and Howse would be switched. Then again, maybe they want some physical strength with the Horak/Baertschi combo.

I think they also want to Howse to develop his defensive game. I would think Holland/Reinhert will be deployed against the tough talent.

indeed, and they should do well with that. However, it might work better with Bancks... just saying.

of course, this "tournament" is basically just for the purposes of development. It makes sense to try to round out Howse's game. good catch mr. Hatch.

indeed, and they should do well with that. However, it might work better with Bancks... just saying.

of course, this "tournament" is basically just for the purposes of development. It makes sense to try to round out Howse's game. good catch mr. Hatch.

I agree with the comment on Bancks. I also think a line of Baertschi-Horak-Howse would be pretty deadly offensively.

So far Calgary's best defenseman has been Negrin, he's skating very well.

Not too many forwards really standing out but Bouma has been solid. Baertschi had a good burst of speed and made a nice pass to Negrin. I would like to see more of Holland he looked pretty good in the few shifts I saw him.

Flames Prospects that have stood out for me thus far...

Max Reinhart

Sven Baertschi

Carter Bancks

Lance Bouma

John Negrin

Patrick Holland

Those Flames fans that aren't watching....Baertschi is extremely exciting to watch. This kid is talented and it shows. Great pickup by Feaster!

Archived