Louis23

I agree Bronco, that they aren't trying to tank. I don't think they are as many players away as you are suggesting, but I agree that they need to shed the 'me first' mentality before anything happens.But if you're right and they aren't tanking, why on earth would they trade Smid, further weakening their weakest position? There is no way that the goaltending improves until the team defense does - you can't ask goalies to keep saving point blank shots and stopping guys that are wide open for rebounds.It was a truly amazing trade.

Honestly he has been very underwhelming this season. I dont blame Smid and i am sure MacT didnt, but for whatever reason smid was having a very difficult time adapting to Eakins system. That of course goes for everybody but smid was quite obviously having trouble with it, to the point that he would just give up and back in close to our goaltender just to lay down in front of pucks. I am glad he has been moved, not because i am disappointed with him, but because i am disappointed that the entire system is failing. He was one of my favorite oilers and i hate the fact that he doesnt wear our jersey any more, but i am happy for him that he is finally going to have a chance to succeed.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly he has been very underwhelming this season. I dont blame Smid and i am sure MacT didnt, but for whatever reason smid was having a very difficult time adapting to Eakins system. That of course goes for everybody but smid was quite obviously having trouble with it, to the point that he would just give up and back in close to our goaltender just to lay down in front of pucks. I am glad he has been moved, not because i am disappointed with him, but because i am disappointed that the entire system is failing. He was one of my favorite oilers and i hate the fact that he doesnt wear our jersey any more, but i am happy for him that he is finally going to have a chance to succeed.

I don't want to beat this to death, but this is something that the Oiler organization keeps doing - running good players out of town.

New coach, new system, team playing bad defensively...

Result: give up on a solid player who has played well for the team for a long time and get rid of him for pennies on the dollar.

By the way, some interesting comments from Smid after his first day: he was shocked at how hard the Flames practice. Nuff said.

I don't want to beat this to death, but this is something that the Oiler organization keeps doing - running good players out of town.New coach, new system, team playing bad defensively...Result: give up on a solid player who has played well for the team for a long time and get rid of him for pennies on the dollar.By the way, some interesting comments from Smid after his first day: he was shocked at how hard the Flames practice. Nuff said.

I had a smirk on my face when I heard that, just another jab against the oilers and their soft team lol

By the way, some interesting comments from Smid after his first day: he was shocked at how hard the Flames practice. Nuff said.

It could be that we don't have all the 1/1 picks so don't have that feeling of entitlement.

You appreciate what you earn (including ice time) more then what is just given to you.

A kid that works to buy a beater treats that car better then the 1 just given a new car. No investment = no pride.

I don't want to beat this to death, but this is something that the Oiler organization keeps doing - running good players out of town.

Result: give up on a solid player who has played well for the team for a long time and get rid of him for pennies on the dollar.

I remember Iron Mike saying that you had to make your practices to a game intensity or your players would struggle with timing and stuff.

THIS RIGHT HERE!  I have said for years that the Oilers are not conditioned to compete.  they don't train hard enough!  C_worthy where did you read that, because I would LOVE to quote it and put it on the "other" forum lol

yeah, it's the interview clip on the home page

I just watched it and I have to say that the comments attributed to him are a bit misleading. Some posters had reported that he said practice was really hard, but I think that's a bit of an aggressive interpretation.

See what you think.

I'm conflicted... I'm no Oilers supporter, but I'd love to see Bryz prove the critics wrong and stick around. I wish more players had half the personality he does (or more likely they do, but the media eats them alive if they say anything outside the standard buzzword fodder answers). 

I guess I hope he succeeds just enough that the Oilers don't get another high pick.

I wonder if the Oilers have more interesting team meetings then the Flyers.

Bryz kept falling asleep during those while in Philly.

There was also him hoping Bob would start the 2012 Outdoor Classic because he (Bryz) had 0 confidence in himself. Bob started & Bryz sipped "tea" from a thermos on the bench.

In Bryz's defense, he did have a great early March in 2012. 4 shutouts & only allowed 2 goals in the 5 games played.

If he can have a short streak like that the threads conceeding the season on the Oilers board might go silent for a little while.

It won't last but it will give them short-lived hope. (I do feel sorry for some of their fans. After years of believing they see minimal improvement & continued bone-headed moves by management.)

Craig Custance @CraigCustance Follow

Igor Larionov says he's got a trip planned to Edmonton to discuss how Nail Yakupov is being used. Pretty unhappy.

If EDM unhappy with him, Larionov said Yak open to trade: "We're willing to make a move. Any team. That happens and that's part of life."

It's too bad that an agent feels the need to go "public" with something like this.  Kid has got to learn to play according to the needs of the team.  Whether he is misused or not, the team wants something out of him.  This method of bringing attention or demanding a trade will not go well.  EDM will get pennies on the dollar for him.  29 GM's will look at this type of player and wonder if he is even woth the drama. 

TSN Story:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=436440

Igor Larionov says he's got a trip planned to Edmonton to discuss how Nail Yakupov is being used. Pretty unhappy.

4:11 PM - 11 Nov 2013

If EDM unhappy with him, Larionov said Yak open to trade: "We're willing to make a move. Any team. That happens and that's part of life."

6:11 PM - 11 Nov 2013

It's too bad that an agent feels the need to go "public" with something like this. Kid has got to learn to play according to the needs of the team. Whether he is misused or not, the team wants something out of him. This method of bringing attention or demanding a trade will not go well. EDM will get pennies on the dollar for him. 29 GM's will look at this type of player and wonder if he is even woth the drama.

TSN Story:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=436440

Wow, I almost forget that larionov is now a player agent because comments like "It would be a shame after 16 games he wasn't getting that kind of support. The kid needs a break, needs to be able to do his thing. He needs to play 18 minutes and get his power play time. The defence will come." Shocked me from a player who played in the Scotty bowman system.

I feel for the Oilers, sounds like if they don't give into the demands somewhat yak will pout and demand a trade to which the Oilers will still get a good return but would it be the right kind of return. Plus for any team willing to take yak you have to wager that if he doesn't perform and you remove his ice time that he will just jump to Russia.

Tough times in Edmonton

Took a stroll over to the oiler boards to see what their fanbase is saying about this debacle... I was quite surprised to see most are in favour of playing Yak more, that he has been misused, and its all the coach/managements fault for his struggles.

It surprises me they put no onus on Yak to be accountable for his own play. The player is a -15 for the year and has 2 g and 2 a both goals coming on the PP, averaging 15 mins a night.. he is a defensive liability in his own end and even the quote by his player agent states that his "defensive" game will come.. with attitude that he is showing its going to be quite hard to see that defensive game develop when all he wants is to go score goals.

I have to feel bad for Eakins a little as even if he wanted to teach these kids defensive zone coverage and a team atmosphere it seems they already control the locker room and if they dont get there way in comes player agents etc.

Unfortunatly this is what can happen when you bring in rookies too fast into the NHL and hand them the keys, (looking back I understand the tough love Hartley is showing to Baer ) Most players coming from Junior into the NHL have not fully understood not only the tempo of the game but also positioning and a 60 foot game to be successful in this league as its not only about you but its about the crest on your shirt. Yak should look down the road and see how Baer takes being sat for two straight games he doesnt whine or go to the media or his agent, he comes into the game with fire in his eyes and im hoping to see that fire tonight against the sharks.

If Edmonton was a decent team this year with only a couple young guys I would think this as a non story and he will shape up. But since the team is horrible and the concensus is already that the team of youth is over priviliaged and defensivily inept. I dont see how one player will turn the other cheek when theres already a few others in the same room in the same mindset as him.

I think the Oilers SHOULD move Yak get a good return and move on, puts the locker room on notice that your spot is not confirmed, and they need to start benching and or sending players down more often. The Oilers need accountability, but will that happen? Can MacT and Co. get over the "potential star" that is in Yak and part ways?

Side note: Im sure the Flames brass is aware of everything in Oil country and will not be having more rookies than they can manage on the big club. Accountability is taught through experiance and mentorship both of which the Oilers lack.

Took a stroll over to the oiler boards to see what their fanbase is saying about this debacle... I was quite surprised to see most are in favour of playing Yak more, that he has been misused, and its all the coach/managements fault for his struggles.

It surprises me they put no onus on Yak to be accountable for his own play. The player is a -15 for the year and has 2 g and 2 a both goals coming on the PP, averaging 15 mins a night.. he is a defensive liability in his own end and even the quote by his player agent states that his "defensive" game will come.. with attitude that he is showing its going to be quite hard to see that defensive game develop when all he wants is to go score goals.

I have to feel bad for Eakins a little as even if he wanted to teach these kids defensive zone coverage and a team atmosphere it seems they already control the locker room and if they dont get there way in comes player agents etc.

Unfortunatly this is what can happen when you bring in rookies too fast into the NHL and hand them the keys, (looking back I understand the tough love Hartley is showing to Baer ) Most players coming from Junior into the NHL have not fully understood not only the tempo of the game but also positioning and a 60 foot game to be successful in this league as its not only about you but its about the crest on your shirt. Yak should look down the road and see how Baer takes being sat for two straight games he doesnt whine or go to the media or his agent, he comes into the game with fire in his eyes and im hoping to see that fire tonight against the sharks.

If Edmonton was a decent team this year with only a couple young guys I would think this as a non story and he will shape up. But since the team is horrible and the concensus is already that the team of youth is over priviliaged and defensivily inept. I dont see how one player will turn the other cheek when theres already a few others in the same room in the same mindset as him.

I think the Oilers SHOULD move Yak get a good return and move on, puts the locker room on notice that your spot is not confirmed, and they need to start benching and or sending players down more often. The Oilers need accountability, but will that happen? Can MacT and Co. get over the "potential star" that is in Yak and part ways?

Side note: Im sure the Flames brass is aware of everything in Oil country and will not be having more rookies than they can manage on the big club. Accountability is taught through experiance and mentorship both of which the Oilers lack.

To your last point.

I don't think there is much fear with the Flames brass that any one rookie will come in with the same attitude.  Recent draft picks seem to include hockey vision as well as personal qualities.  Ferland showed up last year out of shape and was sent back down.  This year he showed up in much better shape and played the PS like he was expected to.  Even though Knight was basically promised a roster spot, he hasn't taken a powter being stuck on the Heat.

The Heat seeems to be playing like a well-oiled (pardon the pun) machine, so the work ethic instilled there will come up with any rookies that are brought up.

With the Oilers, the players that seem to bring that work ethic are the "new" guys (Fedun, Arco, Gasdic) and Smid...Oh, wait. :lol:  

How is this surprising to you?

• 5 head coaches in 5 years
  • 3 first overall picks, Yak could have been Murray, or sold for 3 different picks, but no, it was another small skilled forward
  • None of the kids have earned their playing time, all have gotten 6 mil.  If Yak isn't traded, he's coming with palm wide open.
  • Oilers fans have been proclaiming 'Dynasty!" for years.  Crying about losing, but angry Yak isn't being given the minutes he's entitled, shows that not only is their management lost, and the players, but also most of their fans.  It's a movie we've seen over and over with the carnival up north.  KLow-n is leading the show, handing out popcorn and balloon animals.

Feaster's not normally a guy I quote often, as his mouth has painted him into a corner in the past, but Feaster hit the nail (no pun intended) right on the head.  'Wandering the desert."  Now we're starting to see what winning dehydration looks like.

Funny how does a player that hasn't really proven anything create this much attention? The Oilers seem to be in the media for all the wrong reasons, just like the Eskimos too much drama. Frankly if I am Eakins he sits more not less.

If the players have more control over what goes on in the room, you have issues.

How is this surprising to you?

• 5 head coaches in 5 years
  • 3 first overall picks, Yak could have been Murray, or sold for 3 different picks, but no, it was another small skilled forward
  • None of the kids have earned their playing time, all have gotten 6 mil.  If Yak isn't traded, he's coming with palm wide open.
  • Oilers fans have been proclaiming 'Dynasty!" for years.  Crying about losing, but angry Yak isn't being given the minutes he's entitled, shows that not only is their management lost, and the players, but also most of their fans.  It's a movie we've seen over and over with the carnival up north.  KLow-n is leading the show, handing out popcorn and balloon animals.

Feaster's not normally a guy I quote often, as his mouth has painted him into a corner in the past, but Feaster hit the nail (no pun intended) right on the head.  'Wandering the desert."  Now we're starting to see what winning dehydration looks like.

Well it's not surprising for management as they have put themselves in this mess. But I ment I was surprised by the fan reaction due to those exact points. Blaming the coach again? It's the only song they know in edmonton

Well it's not surprising for management as they have put themselves in this mess. But I ment I was surprised by the fan reaction due to those exact points. Blaming the coach again? It's the only song they know in edmonton

I still don't understand how you are surprised by the fan reaction.  Like I said before, they've been crying battleshouts of their 'Dynasty' for the last 4 seasons, regardless of results.

Even at this point in their season, most of their fans remain delusional and think Yak is worth a 1st rounder, a prospect, and a roster player of higher end status if you browse their trade threads.  So their reaction shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone.

Bronco and UC are about the only guys I see with a level head in their fanbase.  I haven't seen Oillio or Connor here in a long while, nor on their boards for that matter.

3 Shutouts in a row at home for the Oil....

Bronco, in all honesty, I come in peace.  What do you believe is next? Trades, firings, hirings, etc.  Absolutely anything you can think of with the Oilers org.

I really want to know your honest take on the whole situation.  Just wanting to pick your Oiler brain, and hear it from a true Oilers fan.  Just spill it out buddy.

Watched some of the game against the Stars. I would say it is terrible to watch but it is self induced. The battle cry is the coach, but really 5 coaches with the same results, it isn't coaches.

I will say one thing the fans are still in the seats. Despite bottom of the league results year after year, ask any Oiler fan they have the best team in the league ( As S4xon stated). One has to ask WTH do they see out there that they think is a playoff team. Their top players are untouchable or tradable, but yet a Hemsky trade is equal to Shea Weber return :wacko:

Do they have good players sure do they have a good team, look at the history. Look at the top teams now compare them to the Oilers, how close are they. Teams with success are designed 100% opposite of the Oilers, yet they continually try to reinvent the wheel.

Archived