Louis23

Wow Bronco.....thank you.....I feel really bad for you.

You've always been the nice one on here...all the morons have disappeared now.

Speaking of Rihanna, imho you are a victim of abuse.

Fan abuse.

We can help, all you need to do is ask.

I don't think that big RED truck of yours is a coincidence.

I'm sure we could all chip in and get you the proper decals for that truck to bring happiness back to your life again.

haha thanks man... but, the bronco is orange.. Oilers orange ;)  I think it's my crappy camera that made it come off as red. 

20120928_DSC0062.jpg

20120928_DSC0052_2.jpg

Actually you get off scott free Bud.

You show both that you have a sense of humor & you are realistic about the Oilers.

Back in the late '80s - early '90s the Nordique had 3 consequetive 1/1s  (Matts Sundin, Owen Nolan & Eric Lindros). The returns from trading all 3 formed the backbone of their SC teams.

True, but honestly I cannot possibly imagine at this point getting much in return for the three #1's in Edmonton.  Hall is on his butt more than his skates, Yak has been downright atrocious, and RNH has been very unreliable on D.  Throw in their injury histories (well not yak, but that will come lol) and it'd be tough to get decent return at this point.  Man if we could get the kind of return for all three of them that the Nordiques got for just Lindros I'd be extactic.

Bronco bud, I gave you a +1. 

....a +1 to your rep here on the Flames boards has to be worth more than Oilers tickets... you're welcome. :P

haha! and there is more than a shred of truth to that.. People are already talking about not purchasing tickets or going to games up in Edmonton.  If it starts to hit Mr. K in the pocket book we MIGHT just finally see him look at changing his upper management.  Really something has to give in Edmonton... things are reaching a boiling point lol!  I bet the BBM (brown bag movement) is going to rear it's ugly head up there very soon.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^It's too bad that video cut out when it did.  Lowe was just getting to the part where he was going to say "Bobby Ryan at #2? Are you kidding me?"  Dump on Burke all you want, he probably deserved it.  But trash talking a 18 year old kid, that's just trash.  I feel bad for the decent Oiler fans out there who have had to put up with this clown for the last decade.  There's a lot of naval gazing and head scratching in Oiler land these days.  The fans are wondering, is it the coach, assistant coaches, players, trainers?  It's refreshing that the Edmonton media, who have basically been nothing more than Lowe apologists and cheerleaders for many years, finally start to call him out.

The environment in Oilerland is toxic, and it's been made that way by the guy at the top.  For your sakes, I hope Katz smartens up and actually dumps this Klown.  For the sake of Flames fan, I hope he is signed to a long term extension. :P

^It's too bad that video cut out when it did.  Lowe was just getting to the part where he was going to say "Bobby Ryan at #2? Are you kidding me?"  Dump on Burke all you want, he probably deserved it.  But trash talking a 18 year old kid, that's just trash.  I feel bad for the decent Oiler fans out there who have had to put up with this clown for the last decade.  There's a lot of naval gazing and head scratching in Oiler land these days.  The fans are wondering, is it the coach, assistant coaches, players, trainers?  It's refreshing that the Edmonton media, who have basically been nothing more than Lowe apologists and cheerleaders for many years, finally start to call him out.

The environment in Oilerland is toxic, and it's been made that way by the guy at the top.  For your sakes, I hope Katz smartens up and actually dumps this Klown.  For the sake of Flames fan, I hope he is signed to a long term extension. :P

man we are even starting to wonder if it's the laundry lady using the wrong soap.  Honestly I think Lowe is in fairly tight with Katz, I don't really think his job is really in jeopardy at this point.  We can't fault anybody for the first round picks, they were the consensus number 1's at the time, but the drafting for this team in the later rounds has been horrendous, and we cannot kid ourselves into thinking that the GM at the time had complete autonomy in draft selections.

man we are even starting to wonder if it's the laundry lady using the wrong soap.  Honestly I think Lowe is in fairly tight with Katz, I don't really think his job is really in jeopardy at this point.  We can't fault anybody for the first round picks, they were the consensus number 1's at the time, but the drafting for this team in the later rounds has been horrendous, and we cannot kid ourselves into thinking that the GM at the time had complete autonomy in draft selections.

I don't think anyone denies the talent that's been accumulated by the Oilers.  One could argue that the Oilers could have made some moves to acquire players that weren't all clones (small, skilled).  But it takes more than just having talent to win in the NHL. For example:

1- I think the Oilers player development has been awful.  Some players have been thrown into the deep end before they've learned to swim. 

2- There is a culture of losing.  The players haven't pushed through adversity; they haven't worked their tails off and earned their ice time.  It's been given to them regardless of how well or poorly they've played.

3- Not enough veteran mentorship.  Kevin Lowe publicly bad mouthed Pronger, Comrie, Heatley, Nylander, Souray and whoever else I don't remember.  He also angered a lot of GMs in the league with his "Summer of Desperation Offer Sheets" (SODOS- patent pending).  As a result, he's had a hard time luring free agents to the team and, in some cases, making significant trades.  Lately, that trend has started to reverse but the damage may already be done.  There's only so much a Ferrence or Perron can do at this point.

I agree with you, Lowe is tight with Katz.  As a result, it will be really hard to replace him.  But at one point, Ken King said that Darryl Sutter would work for the Flames as long as he wanted.  These things change, even with BFFs.  I'm fairly certain that if Lowe was working for any other franchise he would have been fired 4 or 5 times already for his blunders, screw ups and the embarassment he's caused to the Oilers franchise and the city of Edmonton.   Lowe has made a joke out of what was once a proud franchise.  Long live Kevin Lowe!  #Oiler4Life

I do along with the others appreciate your humor with your club + 1. With the draft, one can not argue the point of taking the BPA at the time. With the Oilers you can as it wasn't your first time to the well, it was your third. IMHO your club has been set back 3 to 4 more years when you took Yak, when in reality Murray was the BPA for your club. Signing of Hemsky and Smith were huge errors.

When you look at this clubs history over the past 7 years of drafting 5 small skill forwards 1 dman who at best is 4/5 guy, and a back up goalie. The largest issue is the two upstairs. They both live in the 80's, back than it was run and gun. There is a huge difference with being on a winning team than there is creating a winning team. 

Really it shows that K lowe have no clue on what a how to construct a winning club cause there to busy living in the past. Not sure who said it but it is really sad to watch a once proud club with great fans get drug down this far.

Used to read a lot of posts from Oiler fans about the depth of their blueline prospects.  And lots of trashing of the Flames lack of talent on the big club.  Funny how things turn out.  This may all turn around in the future, but so far I have seen nothing resembling a team game from them.  No fight.  No take-charge.  No extreme display of skills. 

There defense has been just plain bad.  Their goalies are not showing any great amount of skill in winning in spite of the team.  The forwards are afraid to get their hands dirty.

In spite of all this, some of the fans seem to think their "stars" still command 1st round picks, top prospects, etc. in return for any trade.  They still feel that guys like JSchultz and Klefbom are untouchable, even though neither has done anything more than Butler.  I can understand them not wanting to give up a 1st round pick this year (lottery pick), but do they need another prospect now that will require a few years to develop?  Only if they re-re-build. 

^

Their "stars" have been around long enough to no longer be considered prospects but haven't proven a dang thing. Yet many of their posters believe each is worth an excellent established player +.

They'd probably be best served by swapping entire organizations with another franchise (as was rumored they & the Leafs talked about in the '80s). :) The new owner wouldn't have the love for KLowe that Katz does so he'd likely be the 1st to go.

^

Their "stars" have been around long enough to no longer be considered prospects but haven't proven a dang thing. Yet many of their posters believe each is worth an excellent established player +.

They'd probably be best served by swapping entire organizations with another franchise (as was rumored they & the Leafs talked about in the '80s). :) The new owner wouldn't have the love for KLowe that Katz does so he'd likely be the 1st to go.

The only 'stars' I'd give value to is RNH as he's a dire need up their middle, and Hall.  Hall seems to be the only guy of the 3 that is able to put up the points needed to stay out of the last spot (although, it didn't work for the season after he was drafted, but I'll give him a hall pass (pun intended) as it was his first year in the NHL.  However, both of them are injury prone.

Yak and Shultz aren't worth anything at this point.  I'm confident Poirier would be outscoring Yak already if in the NHL, and Schutlz gives up more goals than he can produce.

Used to read a lot of posts from Oiler fans about the depth of their blueline prospects.  And lots of trashing of the Flames lack of talent on the big club.  Funny how things turn out.  This may all turn around in the future, but so far I have seen nothing resembling a team game from them.  No fight.  No take-charge.  No extreme display of skills. 

There defense has been just plain bad.  Their goalies are not showing any great amount of skill in winning in spite of the team.  The forwards are afraid to get their hands dirty.

In spite of all this, some of the fans seem to think their "stars" still command 1st round picks, top prospects, etc. in return for any trade.  They still feel that guys like JSchultz and Klefbom are untouchable, even though neither has done anything more than Butler.  I can understand them not wanting to give up a 1st round pick this year (lottery pick), but do they need another prospect now that will require a few years to develop?  Only if they re-re-build. 

we prefer the term "Perpetual rebuild"  ;)

that pretty much sums it up, but IMO our stars have done nothing to warrant much for a return.  These players are going to have to pull themselves out of this mess on their own, there will be no significant help coming.  There may be a big trade or two, but they will only be bandaids.  There is way too much to fix right now.

we prefer the term "Perpetual rebuild"  ;)

that pretty much sums it up, but IMO our stars have done nothing to warrant much for a return.  These players are going to have to pull themselves out of this mess on their own, there will be no significant help coming.  There may be a big trade or two, but they will only be bandaids.  There is way too much to fix right now.

Read somewhere that the Oilers are just afraid.  Afraid of getting hurt, afraid of going into corners, finishing checks, taking a hit to make a play, starting a fight, etc.  Until the players decide to play like it isn't a game of shinny or the All Star game, they will get beaten down physically by other teams.  Maybe the Octane girls can stick up for the young-uns. :P   

I was afraid that the Flames would have the same problem, but so far I have seen Stajan, Stempy, Mony, Hudler, Russell, Gali, Jones, Cammi giving and taking hits, cheap shots, and fighting back.  Gratts has fought once so far, I think.   

Anyway, enjoy the realist version of the Flames-Oilers debate.  Got so tired of Connor an Oilio.

Well it is tradition that early matchups with the Flames bring out the best in the Oilers mostly resulting with a good Oiler butt kicking early in the season. Playing us and losing(which most times seems to be the case) always puts the Oilers on some sort of roll however. That might be part of the reason why they are playing with no motivation right now.

We have one game coming up in the middle of Movemeber so expect the Oilers to break out then or shortly after. I am sure we will give you a beating even though we are short a lot of our veterans. The steady stream of AHLers that seem to be coming up with regularity on our side is easy to spot. You can be sure the Flames won't use the injuries for any excuse.

There's no doubt in my mind that at some point soon the Oilers will go on a winning streak and climb ahead of the Flames in the standings.  They are good enough to win close to half their games on talent alone.  Dubnyk isn't a bad goalie and I think he's capable of stealing some games for the team.  Unfortunately for the Oilers, that will likely only serve to mask the long term issues with the club and instead will revive the "something special" talk.  If I was an Oilers fan (and thank Spagetti Monster that I'm not) here's what I'd like to see happen, in order:

1- Fire Lowe.  Nothing will ever improve significantly with Lowe at the helm.

2- Rather than replace Lowe with the nearest ex-Oiler looking for work, hire a competant, proven hockey ops manager (like a Brian Burke).

3- Review the entire club structure including GM, scouts, trainers, etc.  Make changes wherever deemed necessary.

4- Set out the short term and long term blueprint for the club with MacTavish and let him prove that he can execute that plan.

5- DO NOT TRADE any of the young guys until they break out of this funk.  You don't want to get pennies on the dollar in terms of asset management.  Once they start to break out then start moving some of the players.  Do not trade Hall, Eberle or Nurse.  Everyone else, including RNH, Shultz, Yakapov and Gagner are fair game.  They should be moved for young assets that have some size and can play a two-way game.  They might end up giving up the best player in some of the deals but in doing so, they may be able to build more of a team identity and two-way game that can compete throughout the season and into the playoffs, when the going gets rough.

6- Fill in some of the roster spots with guys that are tough, willing to battle, willing to work, able to play defensively and are willing to lead by example.  Ferrence and Perron are okay but the rest of the team is still saturated by small floaters.

7- Perpetually lose to the Flames in the playoffs while the mighty team from Calgary marches their way to the Stanley Cup. ;)

Read somewhere that the Oilers are just afraid.  Afraid of getting hurt, afraid of going into corners, finishing checks, taking a hit to make a play, starting a fight, etc.  Until the players decide to play like it isn't a game of shinny or the All Star game, they will get beaten down physically by other teams.  Maybe the Octane girls can stick up for the young-uns. :P   

I was afraid that the Flames would have the same problem, but so far I have seen Stajan, Stempy, Mony, Hudler, Russell, Gali, Jones, Cammi giving and taking hits, cheap shots, and fighting back.  Gratts has fought once so far, I think.   

Anyway, enjoy the realist version of the Flames-Oilers debate.  Got so tired of Connor an Oilio.

well, it's been talked about several times by a few of us on the Oilers forum.  Play physical against Edmonton and the team turtles, it's plain and simple.  Why?  I often joke that Eberle is more interested in his next ATB commercial than he is in lifting a weight lol.  Whatever the cause is, this team is unwilling to physically sacrifice, whether on ice play or off ice conditioning.  They absolutely HAVE to toughen up.  I'll tell you what though, if that team were to strengthen up and learn a more physical game, and they start playing as a team and also stick up for one another, we could have a very good team on our hands.  Lots of 'IF's" I know, but hey we have to cling to something.

Well it is tradition that early matchups with the Flames bring out the best in the Oilers mostly resulting with a good Oiler butt kicking early in the season. Playing us and losing(which most times seems to be the case) always puts the Oilers on some sort of roll however. That might be part of the reason why they are playing with no motivation right now.

We have one game coming up in the middle of Movemeber so expect the Oilers to break out then or shortly after. I am sure we will give you a beating even though we are short a lot of our veterans. The steady stream of AHLers that seem to be coming up with regularity on our side is easy to spot. You can be sure the Flames won't use the injuries for any excuse.

Well in my defense.... Yes I have used the injury excuse in the past (haven't used it yet this year though ;) )  anyways on the Oilers forum I did mention that Calgary is every bit as in tough with injuries right now as we are.

I'll tell you what though, if that team were to strengthen up and learn a more physical game, and they start playing as a team and also stick up for one another, we could have a very good team on our hands.  Lots of 'IF's" I know, but hey we have to cling to something.

Is it possible for guys like RNH, Yakupov, Schultz, Eberle and Gagne to toughen up and stick up for one another?  I mean you don't see Patrick Kane, Tavares, Stamkos, and a lot of other highly skilled guys doing that.  It's not their game, it's not their disposition and frankly it's not their genetics.  I don't think that the Oilers are able to toughen up until they get tougher players.  Making the players they currently have into something they're not certainly won't work.

There's no doubt in my mind that at some point soon the Oilers will go on a winning streak and climb ahead of the Flames in the standings.  They are good enough to win close to half their games on talent alone.  Dubnyk isn't a bad goalie and I think he's capable of stealing some games for the team.  Unfortunately for the Oilers, that will likely only serve to mask the long term issues with the club and instead will revive the "something special" talk.  If I was an Oilers fan (and thank Spagetti Monster that I'm not) here's what I'd like to see happen, in order:

1- Fire Lowe.  Nothing will ever improve significantly with Lowe at the helm.

2- Rather than replace Lowe with the nearest ex-Oiler looking for work, hire a competant, proven hockey ops manager (like a Brian Burke).

3- Review the entire club structure including GM, scouts, trainers, etc.  Make changes wherever deemed necessary.

4- Set out the short term and long term blueprint for the club with MacTavish and let him prove that he can execute that plan.

5- DO NOT TRADE any of the young guys until they break out of this funk.  You don't want to get pennies on the dollar in terms of asset management.  Once they start to break out then start moving some of the players.  Do not trade Hall, Eberle or Nurse.  Everyone else, including RNH, Shultz, Yakapov and Gagner are fair game.  They should be moved for young assets that have some size and can play a two-way game.  They might end up giving up the best player in some of the deals but in doing so, they may be able to build more of a team identity and two-way game that can compete throughout the season and into the playoffs, when the going gets rough.

6- Fill in some of the roster spots with guys that are tough, willing to battle, willing to work, able to play defensively and are willing to lead by example.  Ferrence and Perron are okay but the rest of the team is still saturated by small floaters.

7- Perpetually lose to the Flames in the playoffs while the mighty team from Calgary marches their way to the Stanley Cup. ;)

well we know 1 and 2 definitely won't happen ;)  so by default 3 won't happen either.  4,5,6 are bang on.  The only point I think you are totally wrong on is 7, in fact I believe you are backwards on that one :lol:

Is it possible for guys like RNH, Yakupov, Schultz, Eberle and Gagne to toughen up and stick up for one another?  I mean you don't see Patrick Kane, Tavares, Stamkos, and a lot of other highly skilled guys doing that.  It's not their game, it's not their disposition and frankly it's not their genetics.  I don't think that the Oilers are able to toughen up until they get tougher players.  Making the players they currently have into something they're not certainly won't work.

EXACTLY!!!!  How often I've said that in our chat and forum.  They are unwilling to get tougher. I firmly believe that.  The only one of that younger core that seems to be trying to add a bit of toughness to his game is Gagner. 

I do believe though that a player can get tougher... but it takes dedication, a dedication like Chris Chelios had to his physical condition.  Sadly, none of these guys seem willing to do it. 

And I think the fact that they won't, and thus expect others to, is the source of the rift in the dressing room.

If you are brought in as a guy to 'add toughness' while the kids are treated like prima donnas and refuse to pull their weight, at some point you are going to decide "**** this"

Two sets of rules ---> two sets of players

And I think the fact that they won't, and thus expect others to, is the source of the rift in the dressing room.

If you are brought in as a guy to 'add toughness' while the kids are treated like prima donnas and refuse to pull their weight, at some point you are going to decide "**** this"

Two sets of rules ---> two sets of players

= 0 teamwork. 

There needs to be some mirror gazing, and a commitment to change by the players themselves or nothing is going to be successful for them.  Again though.. if they do, look out ;)

Dubnyk isn't a bad goalie and I think he's capable of stealing some games for the team. 

I thought so too prior to this season but from what we've seen so far, he'll have to steal about 5 games to make up for the 5 games he's single handedly lost for the Oilers.  He's been average at best and outright terrible most nights.  Weak goals at bad times.

Archived