Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Hall for 4 weeks.

It's not getting better for the Oilers here.

Anyone know when Gagner is back?

Edit:

Still unknown... maybe a week out or 2...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Edmonton+Oilers+closer+seeing+Gagner+back/9045292/story.html

Add to that Smyth pulling his groin.  He is out at least a week.  Yak goes to top line.  Almost feel sorry for the Oil Changers.  :lol:   Almost.  If they don't pull up their panties soon, they will think about tanking for 1st again.

To be honest I dont know if that mess up there can be fixed. I think they have gone without veteran leadership so long they have primadonna complex. They almost need to blow up the core to give them shock therapy..trade one of hall, rnh, or Eberle

Watching them, gives me a whole new respect for Feaster and the crew down here. Id be willing to bet money we get back to the playoffs before they do

To be honest I dont know if that mess up there can be fixed. I think they have gone without veteran leadership so long they have primadonna complex. They almost need to blow up the core to give them shock therapy..trade one of hall, rnh, or Eberle

Watching them, gives me a whole new respect for Feaster and the crew down here. Id be willing to bet money we get back to the playoffs before they do

With all due respect, I believe that's complete BS.

That's just a very popular train of thought for Oiler naysayers to kinda jump on and ride.  

A quick look at the Avs is a perfect example... They were the same struggling lackluster core as last yr that had Giguire famously blow the team up in the press for not caring...

One offseason later.. they bring in the perfect coach with the perfect firey personality who is a legend that knows how to win for the job, which has enveloped the team and turned the same bunch of careless players (minus O'Brien), into a relentless hungry one. I mean have you seen that D... it looks like they are using smoke and mirrors.

vs The Oil.. depending on Dallas Eakins.

i.e.  They'll be fine with a few more Ference-type players and Mike Keenan-type as coach.

That's just a very popular train of thought for Oiler naysayers to kinda jump on and ride.  

A quick look at the Avs is a perfect example... They were the same struggling lackluster core as last yr that had Giguire famously blow the team up in the press for not caring...

One offseason later.. they bring in the perfect coach with the perfect firey personality who is a legend that knows how to win for the job, which has enveloped the team and turned the same bunch of careless players (minus O'Brien), into a relentless hungry one. I mean have you seen that D... it looks like they are using smoke and mirrors.

i.e.  They'll be fine with a few more Ference-type players and Mike Keenan-type as coach.

Actually I wasnt just oiler bashing, tho ill never be a fan. Theres a big difference between the avs and oilers. The avs had all the pieces, they proved that by being a playoff team the year before. There was no reason for them to be that bad last year..they just were.

I believe the oilers have the right coach now..but they already dont play like he wants them to. Yak should have been on the 1st bus out of town after his comments.

Oilers have no defense..no leadership(mainly respected lead by example style)..and have sustained years of losing is ok..now theyre expected to suddenly turn on the I Care switch..I actually feel bad for them.

If youre going to make threats at the high level that only a certain style of play will be accepted..then at some point you need to drop a bomb and prove it.

The Avs are an interesting topic.  I was thinking about that last night; they have had top 5 picks (MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene), have gone up and down over the years (95 pts, 69 pts, 95 pts, 62 pts, 88 pts, 39 pts), and now have had a really good start.  How are they that much different from the Oilers?  Both have had crappy GM's and coaches. 

The Avs were a winning culture, and Jiggy had to call out the team because they were turning into the Oiler culture of "hey, if you are losing, that's ok - the season will be done soon enough".  Having that type of player and a coach like Roy will go a long way.  Where is that player or culture on the Oilers?  Ference?  Probably.  Hall? Not 100% sure. 

They won't be fine. KLowe will see to that. What type of GM fires his coach using Skype???

The "Oil Change" again assures they remain the prima donnas of the league.

There is so much "losing is okay mentality" ingrained into that team they will need some major changes.

The top 6 are small and still play soft.

The bottom 6 is not much better than AHL.

They haven't come near to addressing the holes in D.

They need a decent starting goaltender who isn't fragile mentally.

AV's are a poor comparison as they haven't continously change out coaches like Oilers have done.

Eakins is just another motivator(Ralph Krueger was a motivator too) who doesn't have the tools to play the D he likes to preach.

At least Krueger managed a decent PP. Neither has been able to put in place a system so that all that talent can play a decent 5 vs 5.

They are basically locked into the $6 million long term contracts paid on "potential" to Eberle & Hall (RNH's kicks in next year). The fact that they haven't won a dang thing makes that potential only & @ 6 million teams won't want them that bad. Usually when a GM trades for potential it carries an EL contract.

J Shultz carries a "me first" rep after his UFA stunt so he shouldn't expect an OS. Yak's comments indicate a flight risk (Radulov) decreasing value. Yet KLowe will overpay to keep both as he still stings from when even begging didn't land UFAs.

About the only hope I see there is canning KLowe totally (not the BS promotion where he runs the team via a puppet), then trading 1 of the golden boys for a leader with the balls to stand up in the dressing room to call the rest out.

Instead of drafting only pure talent they should trade for or draft a leader.

Or hiring Torts as soon as Vancouver axes him. :)

They are basically locked into the $6 million long term contracts paid on "potential" to Eberle & Hall (RNH's kicks in next year). The fact that they haven't won a dang thing makes that potential only & @ 6 million teams won't want them that bad. Usually when a GM trades for potential it carries an EL contract.

J Shultz carries a "me first" rep after his UFA stunt so he shouldn't expect an OS. Yak's comments indicate a flight risk (Radulov) decreasing value. Yet KLowe will overpay to keep both as he still stings from when even begging didn't land UFAs.

About the only hope I see there is canning KLowe totally (not the BS promotion where he runs the team via a puppet), then trading 1 of the golden boys for a leader with the balls to stand up in the dressing room to call the rest out.

Instead of drafting only pure talent they should trade for or draft a leader.

Or hiring Torts as soon as Vancouver axes him. :)

I'm not sure Katz has much motivation to make the changes required.  That starts with cleaning out the legacy from a bye-gone era. 

Lowe has to go. (hey that rhymes)  Smith the As-coach needs to go.  MacT may be ok but he comes from that culture.  Eakins has his buds from the Marlies, which is not a fair way to judge talent.

Hitch and JD is what that team needs.  Hope that never happens. :D

So last night Eller makes a comment, which most everyone will agree with, with the Oilers.However, Eakins has a rant after the game on how Eller's comment was used to get the fire under his players.

Couple things about this are concerning on this:

1) If they only way a coach can get his players motivated is by others comments, one has to question the ability of the coach.

2) Truth behind Eller's comments or not Eakins response was equally if not more out of context in his media scrum than Eller's.

The most concerning thing is if Eller's comments were class less, where does Eakins comments leave him?

The Drama of the Oilers

So last night Eller makes a comment, which most everyone will agree with, with the Oilers.However, Eakins has a rant after the game on how Eller's comment was used to get the fire under his players.

Couple things about this are concerning on this:

1) If they only way a coach can get his players motivated is by others comments, one has to question the ability of the coach.

2) Truth behind Eller's comments or not Eakins response was equally if not more out of context in his media scrum than Eller's.

The most concerning thing is if Eller's comments were class less, where does Eakins comments leave him?

The Drama of the Oilers

Good point.  Money talks and BS walks.  A good coach would laugh off the comments or at least leave that in the dressing room.

If they had lost, what would he have said to the media?

^

That stuff has happened as long as there have been sports & always was used by coachs to try to fire up their team.

It's 1 of the reason most pre-game quotes from players & coachs about their opponent are so vanilla.

In "Slapshot" Reggie used made up quotes to fire up his troops.

^ Yeah, but he didn't brag about it in the media afterwards.  I fully expected the Oilers to use the comments as motivation for that game.  But Eakins basically said that Eller should keep his mouth shut and then basically proceeded to do the same thing that Eller did with a little "in your face"  attitude added.  Pretty classless by Eakins and Eller, but one is a player in his early 20's and the other is a head coach in the NHL.

I agree it happens FF but did Eakins have to expose it that bad to the media. Fact is Ellers comments which I really came out wrong IMHO, were just an observation. I am all for motivation form any source but this was classless on Eakins part doing what he did from the media.

Eakins comments after the game should have been: " This is the style of play and desire We have been working towards with this club. Tonight's efforts proved that when we play the systems we have put in place the results are positive." What about the Eller comment,  

Eakins: Yeah not sure that was a factor. Like I said the players stepped up tonight and played the style and tempo we have been working on. Proud of how they played tonight, great team win"

That's it! Was classless on both individuals but as a coach, you need to never feed that outside interest ever are a factor inside your dressing, especially in the media.

^

That stuff has happened as long as there have been sports & always was used by coachs to try to fire up their team.

It's 1 of the reason most pre-game quotes from players & coachs about their opponent are so vanilla.

]

^

I wouldn't be surprised if Eakins tried to tell his club that ovie said his mom plays better hockey than the oilers ( but that's not bashing as it was the truth hahaha)

Well, that was good for a few laughs. 

Oil Change: All In (Season 4) - Episode 1

Why hasn't sports net done a "flames re-ignited" show

Why hasn't sports net done a "flames re-ignited" show

I'd prefer the cameras were out of the kids' faces.  Let them focus more on their game and hockey than looking good on screen.  They can get their camera time on ice during games and in interviews before and after.

Can someone send Dallas Eakin's a fruit basket and a bottle of wine?  Cause it doesn't seem like he can motivate the Oilers by his own means alone.

The Oilers play like a Junior team.

There, i said it.  Is it going to work for the Oilers?

Probably not.  Cause let's be honest, who in the NHL doesn't already think the Oilers play like a Junior team?

Can someone send Dallas Eakin's a fruit basket and a bottle of wine?  Cause it doesn't seem like he can motivate the Oilers by his own means alone.

There, i said it.  Is it going to work for the Oilers?

Probably not.  Cause let's be honest, who in the NHL doesn't already think the Oilers play like a Junior team?

I dunno, there are some awefully good junior teams out there

I dunno, there are some awefully good junior teams out there

Yup...   and some of them have had an overall better balanced team than the Oilers have been for a few years now...   Hence the number of top picks for the Oil...  Having some individuals with talent does not make a team...    :)

Archived