Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPOILER ALERT..........

Oils lose again (yeaaaaaa).

- J.Shultz is playing with Belov on 3rd pairing (hard to tell, though since they are all mostly bad).

- Jones on 4th line

- Line blender in effect; all looked rather bad at times.

- La Barbara looked OK in nets; not spectacular, but OK.

- Yak looked to be trying too hard; broke his stick or missed more 1-timers than not.

- Nuge was invisible except when he gave away the puck

If they win a game on the road trip, they will be lucky.  Maybe against Islanders or Ottawa; doubt they win in Montreal.

The Big Meltdown has started in Oilerland. There is a thread on their forums that covers "fire everyone" Klowe, MacT, Eakins, & a trade thread that says trade just about everyone........

Everyone(posters up there) has a different opinion on what/who is to blame and they are pointing fingers in all directions...

I am sorry but I can no longer feel sorry for anyone in Oiler country. Too many of your trolls coming here telling us they were "the future cup contenders just wait" and just wait and wait some more which is why this season I said it is time to put up or shutup...... Man this meltdown is some putup........

I told them their goaltenders were weak and they threw stats at us to attempt to say different. So how are your goaltenders doing this year????

00e16460ccbc1f2a5aa880891c572fc5.png

Underwhelming at best...

I told them their D was improved but still substandard... and how is that team D doing???

ce07d6a39bf8cabaccd84280831be1c1.png

To be fair no team would do very well with their #1 and #2 Centers out but RNH only missed a couple of the games.

I told them their top 6 were small and played small..... Sure enough changing out the only big winger they had for another smaller winger with grit(where's the beef?) hasn't helped much if at all. Their top 6 is a turnover machine along with their star puck moving DMan JSchultz...lol I thought Butler was bad but this guy.....

I told them that their "culture was imbedding into their players that it is okay to lose. I noticed that Renny would say in his press conferences it was okay due to injuries. The culture starts at the top highlighted KLowes smug "I know how to win, I have SC Rings" comments.... okay KLowe how about you strap on the skates and show them how it is done because the message isn't getting through from behind your executive desk....

The thing that irks me the worst is they(Oiler fans) kept coming here trying to tell me that the Flames were about to go through the same long drawn out rebuild they "had just finished going through"   say what????

Ummm no we don't have to drink your kool-aid and we don't have to mirror your abyssmal rebuild. The Islanders used to be the most dysfunctional franchise in all of hockey. It appears to me that honour now goes to our former rivals from just north of us.

So with this big meltdown up north comes a blessing.... yes a blessing for us. Notice how quiet it is around here with no sign of the Oiler Trolls?

I kinda miss Connor on here Deeds, he was ... determined hehe  ;)

1-5-1

The culture of losing is only ingraining itself into the fabric of the Oilers deeper and deeper.

Like the last 2-3 yrs, the big early season road trip has been the turning point of the Oiler season.

So far on this 6 game eastern swing : 0-2-1

This year the injury to Gagner and goaltending is the cause. In past yrs, the goaltending had held up to reasonable levels. Not so this yr. Soooo many softies you almost feel bad for them.

The thing that holds off really feeling bad for them is the knowledge that all we will hear about from their fans between April 2014 to October 2014 is about how THIS is the year the Oilers take a big step forward because of well they finished the previous season and because of their other Ference-like acquisition.

I bought in and Assumed Yak and Hall would take big strides in the scoring department.  But what can you do if you have no centers.  I knew that would hold them back in the wins department, but i thought the kids would at least still pot their points. Hall with 6 in 7 is still ok.  But the Yak story is a tough one.

No one in their right mind should to write him off for a one reason - who has his center been?

50 some gms into his career, with 30 some points... i still think he will explode once surrounded with a capable center on the regular. 

PP with The Nuge isn't what i'm talking about.

Another thing Eakins hasn't done yet - Hall and Yak played together at the end of last season which led to them finishing very strong in the scoring department... why hasn't he tried that yet for a significant amount of time? Ol' skool Pride?

no brainer to me... but shhhhh... maybe he never figures it out.

Assuming 96 pts as a target, the Oilers would have to play .620 the rest of the way to make the playoffs.

For the record, over the last 5 years, between 6 and 9 teams play at that pace each year.

I don't like their chances of being a top 8 or 9 team in the league the rest of the way.

So, as usual, it's back to the draft table for our friends up north.

Will there be a new season of Oil Change next year (that would be year 5)?

Stay tuned.

Stay tuned.

Generally when I change my oil, I don't re-use the same stuff I empty out of my engine, nor do I spin on the same old filter.....and then high five my buddies because I changed my oil.

Assuming 96 pts as a target, the Oilers would have to play .620 the rest of the way to make the playoffs.

For the record, over the last 5 years, between 6 and 9 teams play at that pace each year.

I don't like their chances of being a top 8 or 9 team in the league the rest of the way.

So, as usual, it's back to the draft table for our friends up north.

Stay tuned.

To add to their predicament.. The west has been feasting on the East this yr... so with so many more crossover games, that equals a lot more pts in the West raising the playoff bar even further than the traditional 95ish pt mark.

EDIT:

I checked the West-East records.. 

West vs the East: 31-11-4, 66 pts

East vs the West: 15-26- 5, 35 pts

The West is almost doubling up the East at this VERY early stage.  Even if it normalizes a bit, the playoff bar is still should be much higher in the West... and higher than 95..

i.e. Very tough sledding for the Oil, and even more of a dismal picture than the 0.620 requirement you've painted.

Also to put the low 0.620 pt pace in perspective: that is a 102 point team over 82 games.  The Oilers are not a 102 pt type team.

So lets wipe Playoff potential off the table for them...

What are we looking at here... a like top 3-5 drafting team?  That's annoying enough for me.... ignoring their lottery winning potential. Argggg...

It's for this reason alone, i'm cheering for them to start winning a few so they can drop to like 10th in the draft. Please.

I read somewhere today that the current pace for the west is 109 pts and for the east, 82 pts (didn't do the math myself, so I can't confirm)

However, I don't expect that to last so I just went with the 'normal' target

But as you say, there is a decent chance that the number is higher than 96

I read somewhere today that the current pace for the west is 109 pts and for the east, 82 pts (didn't do the math myself, so I can't confirm)

However, I don't expect that to last so I just went with the 'normal' target

But as you say, there is a decent chance that the number is higher than 96

Yeah that's a pretty extreme pace to expect to continue.

I'm think more along the lines of 90-91ish in the east, 97-98ish in the West. It's been that low and that high before... and this season is definitely looking like it'll set up to be one of the more extreme yrs.

Which young core would you rather have?

Edmonton: Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, RNH, Schultz

ColoradoDuchene, MacKinnon, Johnson, O'Reilly, Landeskog

Calgary: Monahan, Baertschi, Brodie, ??????, ??????

I would take Colorado's any day of the week.  But I don't like Edmonton's.  It is a group that amplifies each other's weakness, is poorly put together, and is comprised of the wrong positions (one small C, one D that can't play D, and a bunch of wingers).  A core establishes an identity.  And Edmonton is playing with the identity most people would expect of that core.

Edmonton needs to rebuild again if they want to go anywhere.  Not the trade everyone and build through the draft type of rebuild.  But they need to change out some of that core.   

Which young core would you rather have?

Edmonton: Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, RNH, Schultz

ColoradoDuchene, MacKinnon, Johnson, O'Reilly, Landeskog

Calgary: Monahan, Baertschi, Brodie, ??????, ??????

I would take Colorado's any day of the week.  But I don't like Edmonton's.  It is a group that amplifies each other's weakness, is poorly put together, and is comprised of the wrong positions (one small C, one D that can't play D, and a bunch of wingers).  A core establishes an identity.  And Edmonton is playing with the identity most people would expect of that core.

Edmonton needs to rebuild again if they want to go anywhere.  Not the trade everyone and build through the draft type of rebuild.  But they need to change out some of that core.   

Yup, agreed.

Agree on the ranking, and on Edmonton's need to rebuild again.  unfortunate.

Truthfully, I don't think we're going to keep up our current miracle, though.

So....those question marks you have for Calgary may very well give Colorado a big run for their money.

We may be adding Gaudeau to that list soon too.  Possibly Gillies as well.

Next Oiler win anyone?

One of their remaining road games?

Once they get back home?

Not till they hit Nov?

Not until Gagner comes back?

Tough Schedule.

Sat, Oct 19 @Ottawa
Tue, Oct 22 @Montreal
Thu, Oct 24 vsWashington
Sat, Oct 26 @Phoenix
Sun, Oct 27 @Los Angeles
Tue, Oct 29 vsToronto
Sat, Nov 2 vsDetroit

Tue, Nov 5 @Florida
Thu, Nov 7 @Tampa Bay
Sat, Nov 9 @Philadelphia
Sun, Nov 10 @Chicago

if they don't win the next one.. jeesh.. i don't know.

4 games into this road trip - 4 losses. 5 straight losses overall. I shouldn't be surprised, but i would be lying if i really said i wasn't a little.  It's seriously like watching a car wreck at the moment.

Next Oiler win anyone?

One of their remaining road games?

Once they get back home?

Not till they hit Nov?

Not until Gagner comes back?

Tough Schedule.

Sat, Oct 19@Ottawa

Tue, Oct 22@Montreal

Thu, Oct 24vsWashington

Sat, Oct 26@Phoenix

Sun, Oct 27@Los Angeles

Tue, Oct 29vsToronto

Sat, Nov 2 vsDetroit

Tue, Nov 5 @Florida

Thu, Nov 7 @Tampa Bay

Sat, Nov 9 @Philadelphia

Sun, Nov 10 @Chicago

They will squeek out an overtime or shootout win against Phoenix on the 26th.

They will squeek out an overtime or shootout win against Phoenix on the 26th.

I think their best chances of winning are vs teams with weaker backends lacking the stud dmen.  Good D are holding em at bay nicely right now. I thought they had a great chance to win vs the Islanders and their backend.. but they couldn't pull that off...

Phoenix, altho not off to a great start, still have a deep D to contend with.

If i were to bet $ - Vs Washington maybe?

But they haven't been able to stop the opposing superstars either, so i don't know.

I think their best chances of winning are vs teams with weaker backends lacking the stud dmen.  Good D are holding em at bay nicely right now. I thought they had a great chance to win vs the Islanders and their backend.. but they couldn't pull that off...

Phoenix, altho not off to a great start, still have a deep D to contend with.

If i were to bet $ - Vs Washington maybe?

But they haven't been able to stop the opposing superstars either, so i don't know.

Maybe but the Yotes are a team that play exceptional with the lead and not so much without it. I figure the Oilers will get a couple quick ones that the Yotes won't quite be able to fully recover from.

Something tells me the Oilers are picking top 3 again at the draft, and most assuredly higher than the Flames.  It's something that might be a reality, but makes me a little angry.  The waste of top end talent funneling into that org is criminal.

Something tells me the Oilers are picking top 3 again at the draft, and most assuredly higher than the Flames.  It's something that might be a reality, but makes me a little angry.  The waste of top end talent funneling into that org is criminal.

Nah..theyll just end up taking another flashy forward they dont need and let the defenseman fall to us.lol..hopefully they jump on nylander..id geab reinhart tho

Hall leaves todays game with an apparent knee injury..man, it just keeps getting worse..;)

Really?   Maybe a little early for us to declare the rebuild over, no?

I'm not saying it go on endlessly, like our Northern neighbours, but I don't see why a couple early wins would change our fortune this year yet.

Really?   Maybe a little early for us to declare the rebuild over, no?

I'm not saying it go on endlessly, like our Northern neighbours, but I don't see why a couple early wins would change our fortune this year yet.

Who said the rebuild was over?

More like stating theirs is just starting again.

Archived