Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're calling me petty??? I corrected a statistical error. You're the one who has spent several posts trying to make July 1st 2013 be part of 2014 and trying to insult people.

I try to cut people some slack on internet boards - afterall, half the people on earth have below average intelligence - but you just bring it on yourself. You just don't know when to shut up.

You were the one who started this do don't try to paint me as the one dragging this out. Give it a rest (I bet you don't though)

I was never asked a question. This all started because someone was petty enough to state that Hall's contract started in the year 2013 which would continue into the 2013-14 season. Every season has the majority of their games, all-star game and playoffs in the latter part of the title of the season.

You're calling me petty??? I corrected a statistical error. You're the one who has spent several posts trying to make July 1st 2013 be part of 2014 and trying to insult people.

I try to cut people some slack on internet boards - afterall, half the people on earth have below average intelligence - but you just bring it on yourself. You just don't know when to shut up.

intelligence is normally distributed, is it not? In which case the mean is functionally equal to the median, and my comment applies correctly.

but your post was pretty funny regardless!

I had to :)

Can't expect me to take an oilers thread seriously anyway :)

You were the one who started this do don't try to paint me as the one dragging this out. Give it a rest (I bet you don't though)

As CW said, you just don't know when to shut up.

I think it was on 630 CHED that Steve Tambellini stated he is still looking to add a veteran defenceman. This is good news but I hope it actually comes to fruition. Here are some defencemen that I think could be had for relatively cheap that would help out the Oilers.

Derek Morris - A thick bodied but only 6' defenceman. He has a well rounded game but his point totals have dropped since his return to Phoenix. He has two more seasons left at a 2.75 mil cap hit. With the Coyotes depth on defence combined with their financial situation, Morris should be able to be had for cheap.

Henrik Tallinder - More of a defensive defenceman. He plays a similar style to Bouwmeester using sound positioning to neutralize opponents. He had a blood clot last season which kept him on the sidelines for a majority of the regular season and almost the entire playoffs. New Jersey being bankrupt while having a decently deep defence makes Tallinder a prime trade target. He hets paid 3.5 mil for the next two seasons.

Toni Lydman - Anaheim is another budget team but still probably better off than Phoenix and New Jersey. Lydman became their 5th defencemen on their depth chart after signing Souray and Allen. He makes 3 mil for one more season. Depending how Bob Murray is after the Schultz trade, Anaheim might not be the best trading partner for the Oilers.

Douglas Murray - He's a physical defenceman but isn't the best skater. Is 5th on San Jose's depth chart with the arrival of Stuart. Has one more season at 2.5 mil.

These are the defencemen I think could be had for cheap that would help out the Oilers defence a lot ranked in order starting with the ones I would like the Oilers to acquire the most.

I think I know what it is with the Oil.

You hear the saying, "you build your team from the net out".

Well, the Oilers haven't heard that one. We're seeing what happens when you do it in the opposite direction...

How's that working out for you guys, anyways?

If the plan is to outscore everyone like some Kevin Lowe dream of a bygone era, you still have to have a goalie.

Goaltending doesn't appear to be high on Edmonton's agenda. I guess we'll see what that means again.

Far be it from Quick in LA to show how you pull even the most talented team along all year just to make the playoffs.

I think it was on 630 CHED that Steve Tambellini stated he is still looking to add a veteran defenceman. This is good news but I hope it actually comes to fruition. Here are some defencemen that I think could be had for relatively cheap that would help out the Oilers.

Derek Morris - A thick bodied but only 6' defenceman. He has a well rounded game but his point totals have dropped since his return to Phoenix. He has two more seasons left at a 2.75 mil cap hit. With the Coyotes depth on defence combined with their financial situation, Morris should be able to be had for cheap.

He was tided for the worst +/- on defense and wsa nto out against top compitition all the time only playing like 18 min per game, you are right could be had for cheap but there is a reason

Henrik Tallinder - More of a defensive defenceman. He plays a similar style to Bouwmeester using sound positioning to neutralize opponents. He had a blood clot last season which kept him on the sidelines for a majority of the regular season and almost the entire playoffs. New Jersey being bankrupt while having a decently deep defence makes Tallinder a prime trade target. He hets paid 3.5 mil for the next two seasons.

When he is healthy he is one of their top D playing 20+ min a game, I do not think he can be had for cheap.

Toni Lydman - Anaheim is another budget team but still probably better off than Phoenix and New Jersey. Lydman became their 5th defencemen on their depth chart after signing Souray and Allen. He makes 3 mil for one more season. Depending how Bob Murray is after the Schultz trade, Anaheim might not be the best trading partner for the Oilers.

Hit the nail on the head with this one

Douglas Murray - He's a physical defenceman but isn't the best skater. Is 5th on San Jose's depth chart with the arrival of Stuart. Has one more season at 2.5 mil.

He maybe down to the 5th spot but I do not see SJ giving him up that cheaply as he is a sold stay at home physical D

These are the defencemen I think could be had for cheap that would help out the Oilers defence a lot ranked in order starting with the ones I would like the Oilers to acquire the most.

If you are looking for a veteran Defense I would look into signing Colaiacovo, then you don't have to give up anything.

If you are looking for a veteran Defense I would look into signing Colaiacovo, then you don't have to give up anything.

Two reasons that he would not be a good fit. One is the contract limit. I think the Oilers are at 48. They still need to sign a puck moving left hand shot veteran AHL defenceman for the Barons and they usually like having an open space going into the season. The other reason is that Colaiacovo would want a longer term contract. Two years is the max contract limit the Oilers should be looking at.

Too bad Iginla most Flames can't even make the WC team unless they play for Switzerland.

Teams don't pay players to win gold in the Olympics.

Uhh actually Iggy turned down the Invitation..and J-Bow was at the previous one.

2011 Jarome Iginla, Jay Bouwmeester, Mark Giordano, Curtis Glencross and Alex Tanguay all turned down invitations to play for Team Canada for various reasons.

2010 Gio and Bourque attended. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Oilers are going to have a stacked team in the AHL at least for the beginning part of the season. It's unclear if Hall is eligible to be assigned to the AHL after he recovers from his injury but...

Paajarvi-RNH-Eberle

Hartikainen-Lander-Pitlick

Byers-VandeVelde-Acrobello

Hamilton-House-Tyrvainen

EXTRA:Cornet-Martindale-Rajala, Pelss,Abney

?-Schultz

Davidson-Plante

Marincin-Teubert

EXTRA:?-Fedun

Danis

Roy

Bunz

Two reasons that he would not be a good fit. One is the contract limit. I think the Oilers are at 48. They still need to sign a puck moving left hand shot veteran AHL defenceman for the Barons and they usually like having an open space going into the season. The other reason is that Colaiacovo would want a longer term contract. Two years is the max contract limit the Oilers should be looking at.

Just to make this clear, AHL teams are a separate organization and can sign players to as many AHL contracts as they want without it affecting the NHL sponsor at all. The Oilers wouldn't have to waste diddlysquat for a veteran AHL defenseman. Seems your NHL knowledge is a fair bit ahead of your minor league knowledge.

Just to make this clear, AHL teams are a separate organization and can sign players to as many AHL contracts as they want without it affecting the NHL sponsor at all. The Oilers wouldn't have to waste diddlysquat for a veteran AHL defenseman. Seems your NHL knowledge is a fair bit ahead of your minor league knowledge.

When I say a veteran AHL defenceman I mean one who would want a one way contract, like an AHL all-star. The Oilers signed an AHL vet in Byers this off season. He still had to clear waivers.

When I say a veteran AHL defenceman I mean one who would want a one way contract, like an AHL all-star. The Oilers signed an AHL vet in Byers this off season. He still had to clear waivers.

Waivers does not equal 1-way contract either, waivers apply to both 1 and 2-way deals as long as the player meets the age or games played requirement. Byers is a vet on a 2-way deal, so he gets to go on waivers.

Few veteran AHL players would get 1-way deals; the whole point in them being AHL vets is that they haven't ever proven good enough to spend more than a game in the NHL. A rare few still have/had potential (such as Derek Smith or Clay Wilson) and got those deals, but they came from a team that lacked the mid-20s aged players in the first place.

Waivers does not equal 1-way contract either, waivers apply to both 1 and 2-way deals as long as the player meets the age or games played requirement. Byers is a vet on a 2-way deal, so he gets to go on waivers.

Few veteran AHL players would get 1-way deals; the whole point in them being AHL vets is that they haven't ever proven good enough to spend more than a game in the NHL. A rare few still have/had potential (such as Derek Smith or Clay Wilson) and got those deals, but they came from a team that lacked the mid-20s aged players in the first place.

Yeah, maybe I phrased my last post poorly by bringing up waivers.

There are a few elite AHLers who can't become regular NHLers but are dominant enough in the AHL to demand high AHL saleries. A player like Alexandre Grioux makes the same money if he plays the entire season in the AHL or the NHL. The Oilers were looking for an AHL defenceman of that calibur.

In their attempt to get the city & province to build them a new arena the Oilers have pulled the relocation card. Katz, LaForge & KLowe are meeting with officials in Seattle according to THN.

It sounds like QC wanting the RoC to build their arena.

For somebody who doesn't have a clue about the deal in Edmonton, maybe. And since you perfectly fit that description, I can see why you came to that conclusion.

Nobody from the Katz group, or the city or province, has stated that the team wants the city and province to foot the entire bill.

For somebody who doesn't have a clue about the deal in Edmonton, maybe. And since you perfectly fit that description, I can see why you came to that conclusion.

Nobody from the Katz group, or the city or province, has stated that the team wants the city and province to foot the entire bill.

Please inform us, if you will, the new deal Katz is asking for. I have not seen anything public that describes the deal he wants.

Isn't it ironic that the team ownership decided to go to Seattle just after their new arena deal was announced. Isn't it ironic that the pres mentions Pittsburg as a comparable deal. Isn't it ironic that Pittsburg went to Vegas and listened to offers from Kansas City just at the 11th hour.

Whether that was just postering or looking for a buyer, it just looks bad. I doubt the NHL would allow them to relocate to the US, considering they actually make money.

Were you born an (.)? Or did you work real hard @ that? :)

The Seattle Times, TSN & THN are all talking about how the City of Edmonton have agreed on $475 million for plans for a new arena. Now Daryl wants more & is insinuating your beloved Oilers might be moved. Your local Journal carries a piece on the pressure tactic as well.

*Seattle Subsonics (reflecting bottom finishers)?*

Archived