Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, JustAFlamer said:

so McD came in at 12.5

expect that puts a little bit of a kink in the negotiations for Drai.

expecting that he comes in at 8-8.5 which leave oilers a little more wiggle room than i thought.

Still going to be tough for them once talbot gets his boost.

I'm still hoping Sweeney or the Habs now do an OS on Draisaitl. They now know what the structure on the Oilers looks like & can either nudge it up or steal Draisaitl away.

If the Oilers hope 8-8.5 an OS @ 9.8 x 5 either messes with that or they get him for 2 1sts, a 2nd & 3rd. Both have the picks, cap space & need.

Definitely becoming pretty frustrating how much pre planning is being done for the year the CBA expires. I get planning ahead and being prepared butt his will quickly become a joke of a league if they have another lockout. 

An offer sheet to Draisatl doesn't make a lot of sense for any team. In order for the OIlers not to match you'd have to give him a number probably 9 million or more and while I get people would enjoy watching the OIlers suffer, it screws up that teams cap too. 

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Definitely becoming pretty frustrating how much pre planning is being done for the year the CBA expires. I get planning ahead and being prepared butt his will quickly become a joke of a league if they have another lockout. 

An offer sheet to Draisatl doesn't make a lot of sense for any team. In order for the OIlers not to match you'd have to give him a number probably 9 million or more and while I get people would enjoy watching the OIlers suffer, it screws up that teams cap too. 

If you do an OS for 5 years at $9,8m, Draisaitl would likely sign.  The compensation of 2 - 1sts + 2nd + 3rd is tempting to not match, but they would.  It's messes with them now and when he goes UFA in 5 years.  It's not that crazy for a team lacking a top center.  A team like Carolina could do it and it would help them a lot.

When the Flames did it (don't remind me about the Feaster mess up), it caused the AVS to have to trade him eventually.  

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you do an OS for 5 years at $9,8m, Draisaitl would likely sign.  The compensation of 2 - 1sts + 2nd + 3rd is tempting to not match, but they would.  It's messes with them now and when he goes UFA in 5 years.  It's not that crazy for a team lacking a top center.  A team like Carolina could do it and it would help them a lot.

When the Flames did it (don't remind me about the Feaster mess up), it caused the AVS to have to trade him eventually.  

Another is Buffalo (I still feel a bit sorry for dumping E Kane on them but can shed him & 5.25 to some sucker).

That poison pill Feaster put in is the 1 weapon that can make an OS work. The offering team has already planned for it but if the offer was 4 years (just short of UFA) with the last loaded up tp 13 Edmonton would be hard pressed to match. No QO & he's gone without even a pick to show for it :lol: .

Homer tried that poison pill in the Shea Weber OS thinking it would scare a budget team (@ the time) but it didn't. However, on a cap team with McDavid already earning 12.5 it could since the cap is unlikely to rise much (if @ all) .

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That didn't impact it. Avs traded him because they didn't want to pay him the over 7 million they knew he was going to get and they didn't feel he was worth it. Remembe they matched that offer sheet in less than an hour and were excited it was done. Flames did them a favor. 

Team can do it sure but I just think everyone focuses on the "screw up the Oilers angle" and forgets that the team submitting the offer sheet has to be comfortable at that number too. If Carolina did that they would be committing over 20 million dollars to their top 3 centers with several dman they will need to pay soon. Does that not cripple them as much as it does the Oilers?

That's my point. Submitting an "predatory" offer sheet has to make sense for the team signing it and I think in most cases it doesn't. Why would Buffalo pay Draistal 9 million, O'Reilly 7 when they are a year away from extending Eichel at big money?

3 hours ago, JustAFlamer said:

so McD came in at 12.5

expect that puts a little bit of a kink in the negotiations for Drai.

expecting that he comes in at 8-8.5 which leave oilers a little more wiggle room than i thought.

Still going to be tough for them once talbot gets his boost.

Yes slightly more wiggle room.  I wouldn't overlook that cap hit.  It may be the difference between having a key depth guy or not.

As much as we want to see Draisaitl get offer sheeted, I think he comes in at $6.25-mil-per for 5 years or $7.75-mil-per for 8 years.

9 minutes ago, CBTC-FLAMES-EDITION said:

I think we should start a go fund me page for McDavid because of all the money he left on the table. Can he even afford a condo now in the new Edm downtown? You'd think leaving 1 million a year for the team makes him McJesus. 

Im sure oilers fans will errect statues now that he left 1 million on the table, like the good guy that he is. 

A "Mcdiscount" lmao. Apparently he took a MAJOR home town discount to keep the Oil competitive, an approximated $1M saved in cap! Now they have enough space to surround him with an all star supporting cast! Seriously though I'm loving how Oiler fans are praising McD for being so thrifty...like $12.5M isn't still a sincere cap hit. Draisatl will likely come in between $7.5-$8M and there goes $20M in cap. Good luck convincing UFAs to take a pay cut to play in Edmonton...I can't imagine the backlash they'll face if they fail to make the playoffs and now all the pressure is squarely on McD to carry them to the Stanley Cup. 

14 minutes ago, rickross said:

A "Mcdiscount" lmao. Apparently he took a MAJOR home town discount to keep the Oil competitive, an approximated $1M saved in cap! Now they have enough space to surround him with an all star supporting cast! Seriously though I'm loving how Oiler fans are praising McD for being so thrifty...like $12.5M isn't still a sincere cap hit. Draisatl will likely come in between $7.5-$8M and there goes $20M in cap. Good luck convincing UFAs to take a pay cut to play in Edmonton...I can't imagine the backlash they'll face if they fail to make the playoffs and now all the pressure is squarely on McD to carry them to the Stanley Cup. 

It's classic PR.

Someone leaks $13.25-per to the media... give it a week for fans to eat it up.  Then the real number comes in at $12.5.

Sound familiar?

Giordano leaked $8 to $9-mil-per, comes in at $6.75.  We should expect to see similar PR actions with anyone who is close to signing a crazy big contract. 

Once we get early rumored numbers on Draisaitl, then the real number will be much lower (yet, still very high relatively speaking but they must use the media to hit us high first). 

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's classic PR.

Someone leaks $13.25-per to the media... give it a week for fans to eat it up.  Then the real number comes in at $12.5.

Sound familiar?

Giordano leaked $8 to $9-mil-per, comes in at $6.75.  We should expect to see similar PR actions with anyone who is close to signing a crazy big contract. 

Once we get early rumored numbers on Draisaitl, then the real number will be much lower (yet, still very high relatively speaking but they must use the media to hit us high first). 

Thats so true. Slow people will eat it up though. A bit surprised the media is as well. I also question where the salary cap is going and if we are starting to hit a plateau with revenue. Will be interesting to see.  

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's classic PR.

Sound familiar?

Didnt rishaug report 10 million per? or something along those lines? 

Either way wouldnt be suprised if he comes in at 7-7.5 and like others have said that would eat up 20 million in cap, along with the lucic deal we are looking at 26 million ish for 3 players. Dont let me forget the nugent hopkins deal for a grand total of 31 million for 4 players, 2 of which arent worth 6 million a year. if you add in the 9 million for sekera/russell and oilers fans are going to be kicking themselves come next year. 40 million dollars for 6 players, 4 of which arent worth that much. I guess you could say they have the best player in the world, but I dont think we will see mcdavid win the scoring race by a wide margin again, teams will catch on.

Either way the flames have their whole Defensive group plus mony and johnny signed for the same 40 million the oilers are spending on the above, im thinking id rather have that.

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

That didn't impact it. Avs traded him because they didn't want to pay him the over 7 million they knew he was going to get and they didn't feel he was worth it. Remembe they matched that offer sheet in less than an hour and were excited it was done. Flames did them a favor. 

Actually it did impact it.  The 2nd year of the OS was $6.5m, so that set up the possibility of a much higher salary.  They signed him for just another 2 years and dealt him.

It helped them out in the short term due to the trouble they had signing him, but ultimately, it screwed up the value of the player.  He's good, but I don't know he is $7.5m good.

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

Team can do it sure but I just think everyone focuses on the "screw up the Oilers angle" and forgets that the team submitting the offer sheet has to be comfortable at that number too. If Carolina did that they would be committing over 20 million dollars to their top 3 centers with several dman they will need to pay soon. Does that not cripple them as much as it does the Oilers?

I think it's something that Carolina could do that would help them.  They don't exactly have a high impact center.  Staal shouldn't be considered one.  They are building a young team, with loads of potential.  Draisaitl helps them now and in the future.  Anyway, it's just a thought.  There isn't much of an appetite for OS's these days.  Too bad, since it gives teams opportunity to land players that another team is playing hardball with.  

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Actually it did impact it.  The 2nd year of the OS was $6.5m, so that set up the possibility of a much higher salary.  They signed him for just another 2 years and dealt him.

It helped them out in the short term due to the trouble they had signing him, but ultimately, it screwed up the value of the player.  He's good, but I don't know he is $7.5m good.

The Market says otherwise and he was signed when he had 1 year to go for UFA so that is why i'm saying the fact the offer sheet raised his salary to 6.5 mill ended up being irrelevant, especially considering he signed again with the Avs and actually lowered his cap hit and salary to 6 million. Avs traded him because they didn't want to pay him the 7 plus they knew he was going to get but that was based on the UFA market, not the offer sheet. 

If anything you could make the argument the offer sheet process damaged the relationship between the Avs and O'Reilly. I could buy that, but i'ts also pretty flimsy. 

I hope this McDavid contract screws them up forever. It couldn't happen to a better hockey team. Listening to those 2 nitwit sports analysts expressing how generous McDavid was sacrificing from 13,25 to 12.50 which could help with signing someone else. LOL whoop dee doo

If we had McDavid, it would be our contract.

As the best player in the league, he is a money-making machine for the org.

I'm all for Oilers vitriole, but I'm also a realist.

Draisaitl is an 8 yr also, at say $7.5.

The problem comes from dumb Lucic and Sekera contracts. Neither are difference-makers and are generally a waste of cap.

Regardless of RWer, that is going to be the NHL's top line for many years to come.

They waxed us last year, and while we make our excuses as to why, we don't know yet if we've corrected any of that.

While we want our team to crush Edmonton, they have the same mindset of the world's best player.

There isn't another player that can literally sprint out of the half-wall, and register 3 options/second. Not even Crosby.

McDavid has to slow his game to accommodate teammates, is the only flaw I've seen since jr.

When they get that winger, they'd better hang on to him for dear life.

My only coping mechanism is seeing him in a Team Canada jersey.:(

We wanted a return to the battle of AB, well, it's us that are clearly behind the 8-ball now, after last years thrashing (aka point-difference...) .

They have article on nhl.com ... projecting 1000+ points during McD contract (comment section there sucks and wont let me post anything).

i do not mind the contract or the talk around it, BUT after 1 FULL season doing a projection for the next 9 at maintaining and improving upon a 100 pt season is just jumping the gun.

somehow i think the gnome and refs are going to continue making life easy for this kid,

was ridiculous how many times last year someone looked at him wrong and got penalty.

Not saying he will be garbage, think he will remain top 5 in league for points for long time.

Yes he a good,great,elite player but this is projection; basically on small sample, and the "shiny-ness" will wear off and i could see regular 80-90 point seasons but that about it.

How many 100+point players have there been last few years and is projecting 8 in a row with a couple around 120

14 hours ago, Carty said:

Starting to look like getting Draisaitl signed to a new deal could take a while...

It really was going to be a lose lose situation for the Oilers if they didn't win the cup last year and Draisaitl had a great postseason like he did. The Oilers have a lot of control here but players have cashed in big-time in the past for doing less. I'd say 8-9mill a year for sure. 

Makes you you wonder if they sign him then trade him for a top two dman and a top six forward. Maybe Duchene and Barrie for him and Nurse. 

5 hours ago, CBTC-FLAMES-EDITION said:

It really was going to be a lose lose situation for the Oilers if they didn't win the cup last year and Draisaitl had a great postseason like he did. The Oilers have a lot of control here but players have cashed in big-time in the past for doing less. I'd say 8-9mill a year for sure. 

Makes you you wonder if they sign him then trade him for a top two dman and a top six forward. Maybe Duchene and Barrie for him and Nurse. 

I see where youre going, but I dont thnik that deal makes sense for the avs, why would they trade their top D man for a bottom pairing guy? They have a ton of talent up front, where they need talent is their back end and bottom 6.

On July 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM, conundrumed said:

If we had McDavid, it would be our contract.

As the best player in the league, he is a money-making machine for the org.

I'm all for Oilers vitriole, but I'm also a realist.

Draisaitl is an 8 yr also, at say $7.5.

The problem comes from dumb Lucic and Sekera contracts. Neither are difference-makers and are generally a waste of cap.

Regardless of RWer, that is going to be the NHL's top line for many years to come.

They waxed us last year, and while we make our excuses as to why, we don't know yet if we've corrected any of that.

While we want our team to crush Edmonton, they have the same mindset of the world's best player.

There isn't another player that can literally sprint out of the half-wall, and register 3 options/second. Not even Crosby.

McDavid has to slow his game to accommodate teammates, is the only flaw I've seen since jr.

When they get that winger, they'd better hang on to him for dear life.

My only coping mechanism is seeing him in a Team Canada jersey.:(

We wanted a return to the battle of AB, well, it's us that are clearly behind the 8-ball now, after last years thrashing (aka point-difference...) .

I am all for Oilers vitriol as well. :D

McDavid is clearly an amazing player and I suspect most of us here would love to have Edmonton's cap problem. Having said that, I will take issue with a few things that you have said. There are different types of talent. A player can be absolutely amazing on the ice and score a lot, but that does not necessarily make that player elite per se. Crosby has performed so well (and Toews as well) over the years, that the hardware alone that he has earned could generate a revenue stream. He must have a separate room for all of it. McDavid will need to earn his place by winning cups etc. I am not doubting that he will do it, I am just saying we should not jump the gun. 

I think we all noted that the Lucic contract was ill advised. It will get worse each year of it too. 

Yeah, we sucked against Edmonton last year. I am not sure that we made excuses for losing every game against them though. Most of the posts I looked at sought out the reasons for our lack of success. My point is that there is a difference between a reason and an excuse. Those reasons have been well documented, so I will not get into them again here. I would be willing to put good money that we don't lose all of them again this year. Given that I am not rich, "good money" means all the coin in my piggy bank. :P

Archived