Louis23

On 1/9/2017 at 2:26 PM, travel_dude said:

With Draisaitl, it was the burnt ELC year that was more concerning.  He should have been sent to junior.  With Pulju, it was both.  Pulju could have been sent after 9 games to the AHL.  IIRC, it's 40 games on the roster, and the Oilers played 42.  As far as the AHL goes, I think because he was drafted out of the Euro leagues he can go to Bakersfield.

As afr as goaltending goes, I don't think they have problems picking up a replacement.  McElhenney is available. :)

Talbot is going to get burned out playing about 70 games, so it really doesn't matter who they pick up.  

Leafs picked up McElhenny.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else having as hard of a time as I am seeing the oil doing well? it almost feels like its burning my soul lol

It's not that fact that they're doing well, they weren't going to be bad forever, but its just how they've done it and abused the system thats got me perturbed.

Pointless post, but I'm just angry about mcdavid and can't seem to accept/get over it.

9 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Is anyone else having as hard of a time as I am seeing the oil doing well? it almost feels like its burning my soul lol

It's not that fact that they're doing well, they weren't going to be bad forever, but its just how they've done it and abused the system thats got me perturbed.

Pointless post, but I'm just angry about mcdavid and can't seem to accept/get over it.

This year the Oilers have had bounces go their way, whether it be getting to OT and stealing a point, playing a multitude of teams on the 2nd night of a B2B, or marginal calls.  Coaching has helped them a lot, as well as playing one goalie for almost every single game.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

This year the Oilers have had bounces go their way, whether it be getting to OT and stealing a point, playing a multitude of teams on the 2nd night of a B2B, or marginal calls.  Coaching has helped them a lot, as well as playing one goalie for almost every single game.  

Despite all the talk of McDavid if Talbot tires (he's played 42 to date) there is no one to take over. Without him the Oilers have 3 points in 7 games (1 win, 1 loser point),  If he misses a few games they hurt badly. Unless they find a good backup that's their Achille's Heel.

Oilers have definitely found their game and are actually playing solid hockey. While Talbot helps for sure he isn't the only reason, they are playing some decent hockey and aren't completely relying on Talbot. I agree they need a backup but Talbot isn't carrying the team right now like he was earlier in the season, they have gotten better defensively too.

Oilers need to be good though because I think the cap is going to start becoming a real problem. They have Drasailt to do this off season and he's worth a Monahan type deal and then you've got McDavid next off season who is probably going to be worth 8-9 million, unless they want to bridge both of those guys. So in 2 seasons the OIlers are looking at a cap hit of mid 50millions for only 10 skaters and are still going to have holes in thier lineup unless they can start drafting better in the later rounds. 

As long as they have McDavid, Draisaitl and Talbot they'll be competitive, but they arn't going to get the same type of timing that teams like Chicago/Pittsburgh did when their young players all matured at once. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Oilers have definitely found their game and are actually playing solid hockey. While Talbot helps for sure he isn't the only reason, they are playing some decent hockey and aren't completely relying on Talbot. I agree they need a backup but Talbot isn't carrying the team right now like he was earlier in the season, they have gotten better defensively too.

Oilers need to be good though because I think the cap is going to start becoming a real problem. They have Drasailt to do this off season and he's worth a Monahan type deal and then you've got McDavid next off season who is probably going to be worth 8-9 million, unless they want to bridge both of those guys. So in 2 seasons the OIlers are looking at a cap hit of mid 50millions for only 10 skaters and are still going to have holes in thier lineup unless they can start drafting better in the later rounds. 

As long as they have McDavid, Draisaitl and Talbot they'll be competitive, but they arn't going to get the same type of timing that teams like Chicago/Pittsburgh did when their young players all matured at once. 

I would say that mostly the Oilers have found their game because they have a really good first line, where all the players are firing on all cylinders.  Letestu scores mostly when McDavid is there with him.  Maroon has had a good year, but is mostly that way in the last month.  Draisaitl is supposed to be their #2 center, but has played some of his best on McDavid's wing.

They finally have the same number of ROW wins as the Flames.  Lots of SH wins and plenty of OTL.  

The game last night against the Panthers was not domination.  They barely tied it and were fortunate to get the OT win on a breakaway by McDavid.  The goal was called by 17,000 people in the building, but it was as close to being no goal as it was a goal.  Had it not been called a goal, it may not have been overturned.  Not pointing this out to start a discussion about review, just that they play good some games and barely enough to win others.  

If the Oilers can keep the three players you mentioned healthy, they stand a good chance of making the playoffs.  Talbot has already played 42 games.  They are burning him now to try to make the playoffs.  Whether he has enough juice to win in March and April will decide it.  

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I would say that mostly the Oilers have found their game because they have a really good first line, where all the players are firing on all cylinders.  Letestu scores mostly when McDavid is there with him.  Maroon has had a good year, but is mostly that way in the last month.  Draisaitl is supposed to be their #2 center, but has played some of his best on McDavid's wing.

They finally have the same number of ROW wins as the Flames.  Lots of SH wins and plenty of OTL.  

The game last night against the Panthers was not domination.  They barely tied it and were fortunate to get the OT win on a breakaway by McDavid.  The goal was called by 17,000 people in the building, but it was as close to being no goal as it was a goal.  Had it not been called a goal, it may not have been overturned.  Not pointing this out to start a discussion about review, just that they play good some games and barely enough to win others.  

If the Oilers can keep the three players you mentioned healthy, they stand a good chance of making the playoffs.  Talbot has already played 42 games.  They are burning him now to try to make the playoffs.  Whether he has enough juice to win in March and April will decide it.  

I think without Talbot they wouldn't be in a playoff spot, gustavsoon was terrible for them and they barely won with him In net. Mcdavid does a good job stealing the show for them everynight. Not to be an oilers hater, but this oilers team is going to struggle in the playoffs, the lack of depth is disturbing. They are a one line team in every way.

While the Oilers are becoming a real thing, how they got there is disgusting.

Utilizing Bettman's "Newest arena wins the Draft lottery of the decade",  tanking for years at a time in a way that wasted the development of some of the NHLs greatest talent, and deploying absoluteley embarrassing management.

Katz doesn't deserve a team like this.

But, the Oilers fans, they do. With the oil recession, the FM fires, and the NDP onslaught, I don't think any City is more deserving at this point.

But I don't trust Katz and I still don't put it past him to screw it up.

39 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That and...ummm, Talbot's Vezina-contending season...

Trading Hall for Larsson maybe wasn't a bad move...

That was their best move (I won't count finally getting a winner with that 1st OA after so many tries & years @ the bottom). Seems every player there is now more confident.

Adding Lucic was good while Chia taking a year to guage what he had was excellent as was getting a real coach but that trade turned around the country club atmosphere.

50 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

That was their best move (I won't count finally getting a winner with that 1st OA after so many tries & years @ the bottom). Seems every player there is now more confident.

Adding Lucic was good while Chia taking a year to guage what he had was excellent as was getting a real coach but that trade turned around the country club atmosphere.

I couldn't believe how underrated Larsson must have felt, many acted like he's nothing to Hall.

That's a good old fashioned hockey trade. I didn't like it because I like Larsson, lol...he was on a really lousy team...

Those moves make the Oilers harder to play against, which was their main problem for so long. Maroon, Larsson, Lucic and Russell really changed that culture to one that can now at least compete every game. Irregardless of your take on his asset management, those moves were necessary for Chiraelli.

that being said there are 2 reasons why the OIlers are where they are and that's McDavid and Talbot. Their team game is only moderately improved from last year to this year, but those 2 guys are playing at the top of their respective positions. If you get world class play from your top center and your goalie, you are going to be a very good team. 

Their D is transformed.  Russell has adjusted to the right side fairly well and Larsson gives them that balance in the top 3.  If Nurse ever emerges as a Stud #1 then the Oilers D top 4 along with Larsson, Sekeras, and Klefbom would be one of the best in the league.   

I think Talbot is improved from last season but much of his improvement is a result of improved D.  I think you can put last year's Talbot, or Dubnyk, Fasth, Scrivens, or even Brossoit, and they will be given a much better chance to succeed.  Or put it this way, put Talbot behind the Flames current D and you will see him struggle like Elliott and Johnson.

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Their D is transformed.  Russell has adjusted to the right side fairly well and Larsson gives them that balance in the top 3.  If Nurse ever emerges as a Stud #1 then the Oilers D top 4 along with Larsson, Sekeras, and Klefbom would be one of the best in the league.   

I think Talbot is improved from last season but much of his improvement is a result of improved D.  I think you can put last year's Talbot, or Dubnyk, Fasth, Scrivens, or even Brossoit, and they will be given a much better chance to succeed.  Or put it this way, put Talbot behind the Flames current D and you will see him struggle like Elliott and Johnson.

Flames and Oilers are tied in Corsi, close in tersm of scoring chances F % (ie who outchances the other team more) and Flames are better in shots against, scoring chances against and high danger scoring chances against. OIlers have the 11th best Save % at 91. 32 while Flames are 90.03. That 1% difference basically accounts for the GA difference of 17 between the Flames - Oilers. 

By most measures you can find, the Flames are a better defensive team than the Oilers. And that includes going back to the start of the season when the Flames were terrible. 

• 3 weeks later...

saw a comment somewhere (maybe flamesnation) where someone noted Oilers seem to play a lot of teams on tail end of back to back.

flames are somewhere in the middle, but yes looks like since oilers didnt get first overall they got the scheduling lottery instead

http://thecomeback.com/puckdrunklove/2016-articles/analyzing-the-2016-17-nhl-schedule-based-on-tired-and-rested-teams.html

• 4 weeks later...

Should be funny watching the crowd tonight when Edmonton hosts the Pengies who feature a new, improved Justine Schultz.    

If I watch this is 1 of those where I boo both teams & wish some games didn't result in any points towards the standings. 

I wouldn't mind if the game featured a line brawl with even goalies involved. I won't ask for injuries but have no problem if there were suspensions to key players on both sides.

6 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Should be funny watching the crowd tonight when Edmonton hosts the Pengies who feature a new, improved Justine Schultz.    

If I watch this is 1 of those where I boo both teams & wish some games didn't result in any points towards the standings. 

I wouldn't mind if the game featured a line brawl with even goalies involved. I won't ask for injuries but have no problem if there were suspensions to key players on both sides.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll kill each other...

• Killing.gif#killing%20gif%20506x415

7 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Im also excited for this game, maybe war pig and mcdavid can have a fight that would be fun.

3 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Im also excited for this game, maybe war pig and mcdavid can have a fight that would be fun.

This will be the first time in a long time that I will tolerate an Oilers' broadcast. I am not a big Penguins' fan by any means. I do want to see the Oilers lose so that we put Dedmonton into a Wildcard spot. I also want Crosby to put McJeebus into his place. I really wish Chicago could have done us a favour last night.

Archived