Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deja Vu over on the Oilers board. It's official. Rebuild # 87 lol. I remember when they chased Stoll and Green out of town and the excitement grew. Then Horcoff and Hemsky then Cogliano and Gagne..and again the excitement grew. Then the goalie carousel of Khabibulin, Bryzgalof and Dubnyk, then Jeff Petry were all gone. Now here they are blowing it all up again. For their sake and the fans I hope they get this one right..not to point where they're better than us tho!!

I cant believe anyone wanted Schultz. I get the talent level but this guy is not an NHL dman right now and has so far to go in order to be one. For a contending team like the Pens, that's another dumb Rutherford move.

I was surprised at the return, even with the retained salary. Rutherford has made some questionable moves in the past. How funny would it be if Schultz makes the playoffs, wins a cup and gets named MVP?? That won't happen but I would burn off some good calories laughing if it did.

I cant believe anyone wanted Schultz. I get the talent level but this guy is not an NHL dman right now and has so far to go in order to be one. For a contending team like the Pens, that's another dumb Rutherford move.

I am going to guess that the Pens looked at Jultz and figured they were playing him top D minutes and are willing to take a chance on him playing 5/7 D minutes.

I am going to guess that the Pens looked at Jultz and figured they were playing him top D minutes and are willing to take a chance on him playing 5/7 D minutes.

We all know that the 3rd pairing is the biggest risk for allowing goals.  On the road, that pairing will see the other team's best.

So now that's it's a new rebuild..what happens if the Oilers are bottom feeding again next season ? Do they get a slight pass because they are restarting the restart?

Well normally you would give a new coach and GM the time to assess and then make the changes that they want to make to make it their team.

As for the Oilers this is how many restarts of the rebuild? Add to that the inept who were responsible have not been fired just shuffled off to the side. Shouldn't there have been a housecleaning?

The old boys club is still in the house collecting their cheques. It's amazing, any other organization would have swept them out the door long ago. Oilers still stuck 30 years in the past.

I'm really curious to know the consensus on how long of a leash the Oilers deserve for this new rebuild? If they aren't in the playoffs in the next 2 years do they blow it all up again? When does the league intervene if they keep pilfering top picks from more last place finishes?

Must say I am a little jealous that they picked up Maroon for a AHL player and a 4th.  He's cheap, young-ish but a vet, and plays a heavy game.  Imagine he's an add to McDavid's line.  Helps make up for the lack of toughness from Eberle.  Pouliot is injured, so there's an immediate need there.  Gernat fell down the depth chart, but could still be a decent player in time.

Must say I am a little jealous that they picked up Maroon for a AHL player and a 4th.  He's cheap, young-ish but a vet, and plays a heavy game.  Imagine he's an add to McDavid's line.  Helps make up for the lack of toughness from Eberle.  Pouliot is injured, so there's an immediate need there.  Gernat fell down the depth chart, but could still be a decent player in time.

Maroon is a bigger player but he could not keep up on a Mcdavid line..he's not a speedy player. He'll bring them more toughness for sure and the Oilers as you mentioned didn't really give up much to get him. It will be interesting to see this current Oiler roster play out the last 20 games or so. PC has shown he's atleast willing to make necessary changes so thats good for Oilers fans. I dunno, I feel the Oilers have brought in and moved out so many bodies the last few years, until I see it I'm not expecting a big difference in Oilers results.

Maroon = Jones at 1/2 the salary (obviously on opposite wings).

More grit but a little less offense.

Good value for the Oilers.

He finishes well with players like Getzlaf and Perry.  Maybe too slow, but if you can;t knock him off the puck, he can create offense.  Pouliot is out, so there isn't another player that fits with McDavid and Eberle.

I think the Oilers will move at atleast 2 of the current core, Yak and Eberle for sure. They might consider keeping RNH cause he has the strongest 2 way game of them all. They could turn things around pretty quick just by building around Hall, Mcdavid and Draitsatl with Nurse, Klefbom and now Davidson in back end. I'm still choked about given them Laurent Brossoit especially considering Smid is at the end of his career and Brossoit is just getting started, he'll be a solid goalie for them IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's crazy to see the Oilers fan reaction to the Nurse mugging. Kid jumps someone for a mistaken trip, doesn't let up when he can't defend himself, beats him to the ground, then celebrates about it. The Oilers fans seem to think that 1) It is okay, and 2) That this sends a message to the rest of the league that they are not to be messed with. I think they need to look into the education system up there. Terrible fan base.

It's crazy to see the Oilers fan reaction to the Nurse mugging. Kid jumps someone for a mistaken trip, doesn't let up when he can't defend himself, beats him to the ground, then celebrates about it. The Oilers fans seem to think that 1) It is okay, and 2) That this sends a message to the rest of the league that they are not to be messed with. I think they need to look into the education system up there. Terrible fan base.

That was a real cheap shot and i'm glad he got suspended for it. I will give them this, it is an element they have lacked for a while so I do see why Oiler fans would like it, but it was an aboslutely cheap shot. No question about it. 

That was a real cheap shot and i'm glad he got suspended for it. I will give them this, it is an element they have lacked for a while so I do see why Oiler fans would like it, but it was an aboslutely cheap shot. No question about it. 

Nurse just welcomed himself to the big boys club.  SJ will be waiting for him on March 24.

Oilers have definitely been lacking that physical aspect. Think the oilers fans are mistaking his actions as toughness, it's now just made them look like cheap try hards. Nurse will have a target on his back from officials and players alike. He was clearly frustrated but it's understsndable playing a full season on an inept team

I had to laugh when I noticed that the Mighty Oil had/have 3/4 games this week against teams that played the previous night.  They beat the Jets, but lost to the Sharks.  They will play Arizona tomorrow night.

That's a pretty good scheduling advantage.  If they were actually competing for a playoff birth, that would be huge.  But the NHL probably didn't think it would help them anyway.

I had to laugh when I noticed that the Mighty Oil had/have 3/4 games this week against teams that played the previous night. They beat the Jets, but lost to the Sharks. They will play Arizona tomorrow night.

That's a pretty good scheduling advantage. If they were actually competing for a playoff birth, that would be huge. But the NHL probably didn't think it would help them anyway.

The only advantage to being an Oiler is knowing your likely winning the Draft every single year.

Drafted 7 years ago in the 6th round, 163rd overall, no previous North American experience, undersized and with fairly weak scoring numbers — what’s not to like?

d8acc29c0135faa3437fadf8e7a4b39d.png

Sounds like a Tanker special.  A guy like Horak doesn't even want to play with them.  They seem to also think they can sign a bunch of FA's from the NCAA.  As if any would want to play there.

Archived