Louis23

Shultz had 21:16 min of ice time Tuesday night, before the big charade.

a. Sekera

M. Fayne

J. Schultz

D. Nurse

Jordan Oesterle

Brandon Davidson

Were the 6 oiler Defenders in that game. Who else was suppose to play those minutes? Unforutnatley for Mclellan, he has to dress 6 dmen...

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a. Sekera

M. Fayne

J. Schultz

D. Nurse

Jordan Oesterle

Brandon Davidson

Were the 6 oiler Defenders in that game. Who else was suppose to play those minutes? Unforutnatley for Mclellan, he has to dress 6 dmen...

That doesn’t appear to be an all-star defenseman roster.  I do however remember last summer, many posters here were salivating over Sekara’s availability.  I’d take Nurse off their hands any day.  As for the others, I don’t watch Oiler hockey so I can’t fairly assess the remaining bunch.  If they all had name tags on and were in a police line up, I wouldn’t recognise any of them. 

How many dmen have gone thru their organization the past 6 years?  Four to five new faces every year?  At some point in time, an organization needs to take responsibility to teach.  McLellan’s job is to teach and allocate ice time, not through players under the bus.  Him using Oiler history is a cop out if you ask me because they’re all new faces.

That doesn’t appear to be an all-star defenseman roster.  I do however remember last summer, many posters here were salivating over Sekara’s availability.  I’d take Nurse off their hands any day.  As for the others, I don’t watch Oiler hockey so I can’t fairly assess the remaining bunch.  If they all had name tags on and were in a police line up, I wouldn’t recognise any of them. 

How many dmen have gone thru their organization the past 6 years?  Four to five new faces every year?  At some point in time, an organization needs to take responsibility to teach.  McLellan’s job is to teach and allocate ice time, not through players under the bus.  Him using Oiler history is a cop out if you ask me because they’re all new faces.

Sekera is pretty overrated and IMO was a terrible singing for the Oilers. He's is a small upgrade over Kris Russell and whil I too like nurse he is an NHL rookie dman and typically plays like one. He's get there just isn't right now. The rest of those guys and barely NHL caliber although Davidson has some upside. Bottom line it's a really bad d core.

It's really hard to teach when you turnover your coach every year. Doing so, the oilers organization has created a culture where there is no accountability especially late in the a season when all they are used to is talking about next year already. McClellan has to create accountability and while it seems hard drastic problems require drastic measure. The problems are that bad in Edmonton IMO.

Sekera is their #1 D man and that's only part of the problem. Nurse will be good down the road but I think out of necessity the Oilers are already over playing him. Fayne and Schultz are garbage. Davidson is probably the only D man out of that group, outside of Nurse that's worth keeping.

All these years of top draft picks and so few developed prospects in the pipeline, just mind boggling on the Oilers part.

There must not be much hope in Oinkler land these days.  Draisaitl has tailed off and is well below a point per game.  Hall is struggling now, but still their top scorer.  McDavid is down to 1.12 p/gp, so the talk about him winning the Calder has died a painful death.  Last place again and their last 10 games 1-8-1.  Toronto, that well known AHL team, is 2 points ahead of them with 3 games in hand.

Worst goal differential in the league.

And like every other year, they will sell what they can and start over.  

There must not be much hope in Oinkler land these days. Draisaitl has tailed off and is well below a point per game. Hall is struggling now, but still their top scorer. McDavid is down to 1.12 p/gp, so the talk about him winning the Calder has died a painful death. Last place again and their last 10 games 1-8-1. Toronto, that well known AHL team, is 2 points ahead of them with 3 games in hand.

Worst goal differential in the league.

And like every other year, they will sell what they can and start over.

The Maple Leafs are a legit AHL team by design right now and are playing better hockey than the Oilers. It's absurd, now we all get to watch them slowly dismantle yet another rebuild only to start this process all over again. I still believe if the NHL threatens to impose a fine on them for finishing bottom 3 in the future , we'd see an immediate change in their play. You tell Hall and Schultz they could face a reduced salary for their play and I bet you these guys would all of a sudden turn into the best back checkers in the league.

How... does Any Team suck Sooo bad?

I...don't...get it.

Are they gunning for Matthews? They can't be.

Can they?

It is beyond logic. They'll win the Matthews sweepstakes just watch, they need a shiny #1 pick to break in the new arena. What would that make it 5 #1 picks in 7 years? What an embarrassing franchise.

If they are, Chia should be immediately fired. The big talk about changing the culture, bringing in the right players, bla, bla, bla.

MacT said the same thing.."bold moves" that landed them McDavid. I get the feeling Chia will finally make some of the right moves for this team but at a cost! It will be interesting to see how the traded pieces perform on other teams. Still remember how Smid remarked the huge differences in intensity between a Flames practice compared to an Oilers one. That said it all.

It is beyond logic. They'll win the Matthews sweepstakes just watch, they need a shiny #1 pick to break in the new arena. What would that make it 5 #1 picks in 7 years? What an embarrassing franchise.

I don't think the NHL will want to send another #1OA player to Edmonton to get ruined. If the Oilers get #1OA, there might just be riots... in Vancouver and public outcry elsewhere.

It's beyond ridiculous. I want to say more but they're just so bad. How do they still have season ticket holders? 10 years of mediocrity. That's insufferable.

I don't think the NHL will want to send another #1OA player to Edmonton to get ruined. If the Oilers get #1OA, there might just be riots... in Vancouver and public outcry elsewhere.

It's beyond ridiculous. I want to say more but they're just so bad. How do they still have season ticket holders? 10 years of mediocrity. That's insufferable.

Well just because a franchise sucks does not mean the fans do too. Think Saskatchewan Roughriders culture and now add Northern Alberta into that picture and you can visualize avid fans despite their teams ineptness.

As for the NHL they think they solved the problem of teams tanking for a top draft pick but they haven't. Last place in NHL still gets you highest chance at a #1 draft pick. So teams taht want a chance at that #1 will still drop for the highest odds with the consultation of not getting #1 being a pretty good player anyway.

Well just because a franchise sucks does not mean the fans do too. Think Saskatchewan Roughriders culture and now add Northern Alberta into that picture and you can visualize avid fans despite their ineptness.

As for the NHL they think they solved the problem of teams tanking for a top draft pick but they haven't. Last place in NHL still gets you highest chance at a #1 draft pick. So teams taht want a chance at that #1 will still drop for the highest odds with the consultation of not getting #1 being a pretty good player anyway.

While I'm all for ribbing Oilers fans, that's not what I meant. I meant, how does Edmonton draw season holders anymore? There's been so many empty promises. I guess I'd figure they'd decide enough is enough and make the Oilers franchise actually try for something other than last place by refusing to purchase season tickets until some changes occur. Take away the flow of money and I think you'll see the Oilers management and ownership actually try a bit harder. At least, if I was an Oiler fan I would be doing some serious protesting against the organization. A sports team lives and dies by their fans. Atlanta has lost 2 hockey teams for that reason. Now with a new arena and even higher prices, I would be seriously miffed if I was an Oiler season ticket holder. 

I almost (almost) want the Oilers to be decent enough again to josh their fans. The team has been so bad that I just feel sorry for their fans rather than feel a rivalry with them.

They really need to put in a limit on how many top 3 or #1OA draft picks a team can get. It would at least stop serial tanking (like the Oilers). 5 #1OA picks in 7 years is not parity.

That's the worst part is the fans are the ones suffering the most. You really think Schultz gets too low over his play knowing at the end of the day he's a multi millionaire? If he did it would show in his play. The Oilers fans are a passionate bunch and deserve better than what they've been getting. I'm like any of you, I hate the Oilers!..but no true fan of sport deserves a decade long of ineptitude.

When K Lowe tried to separate the fanbase between those that pay and those that don't (" 2 tiers of fans) that proved that management was willing to accept losing as long as the franchise in itself proved profitable. Katz is a smart business man. He can run the franchise like a dictatorship if he pleases, he fleeced the city in building his new arena let alone prime real estate in the downtown core. It's all good for city but the tax paying fan again will suffer.

If by next year the product on ice doesn't produce some level of progression then I believe fans will really lose it. Having to pay a premium only to watch the same product with the same results is insulting.

While I'm all for ribbing Oilers fans, that's not what I meant. I meant, how does Edmonton draw season holders anymore? There's been so many empty promises. I guess I'd figure they'd decide enough is enough and make the Oilers franchise actually try for something other than last place by refusing to purchase season tickets until some changes occur. Take away the flow of money and I think you'll see the Oilers management and ownership actually try a bit harder. At least, if I was an Oiler fan I would be doing some serious protesting against the organization. A sports team lives and dies by their fans. Atlanta has lost 2 hockey teams for that reason. Now with a new arena and even higher prices, I would be seriously miffed if I was an Oiler season ticket holder. 

I almost (almost) want the Oilers to be decent enough again to josh their fans. The team has been so bad that I just feel sorry for their fans rather than feel a rivalry with them.

They really need to put in a limit on how many top 3 or #1OA draft picks a team can get. It would at least stop serial tanking (like the Oilers). 5 #1OA picks in 7 years is not parity.

I believe they are still selling out.

Next year the new arena will be the big sell, not the team.

The fans are avid. Once If you see the Oilers get better in standing, then the old Oiler Trolls will feel good enough to start showing their faces around here(Where is Connor??). Look at the Wideman thread. See any other teams trolls other than Oiler Trolls stopping by to troll our forums?

......... I hate the Oilers!..but no true fan of sport deserves a decade long of ineptitude.

When K Lowe tried to separate the fanbase between those that pay and those that don't (" 2 tiers of fans) that proved that management was willing to accept losing as long as the franchise in itself proved profitable. Katz is a smart business man. He can run the franchise like a dictatorship if he pleases, he fleeced the city in building his new arena let alone prime real estate in the downtown core. It's all good for city but the tax paying fan again will suffer.

I still think he has his mitts in on Hockey Operations.. I know what they say....MacT too  and that fool they hired back from Columbus....

If by next year the product on ice doesn't produce some level of progression then I believe fans will really lose it. Having to pay a premium only to watch the same product with the same results is insulting.

There will be a little pressure to perform with new arena but I don't think as much as most other markets.

I believe they are still selling out.

Next year the new arena will be the big sell, not the team.

The fans are avid. Once If you see the Oilers get better in standing, then the old Oiler Trolls will feel good enough to start showing their faces around here(Where is Connor??). Look at the Wideman thread. See any other teams trolls other than Oiler Trolls stopping by to troll our forums?

There will be a little pressure to perform with new arena but I don't think as much as most other markets.

Think Scott Howson is the fool you were referring to. If you think about it the newest additions to the Oilers brass either were fired or came from from losing teams. Howson overstayed his welcome in CLB, he's the smart guy that got the Oilers stuck with Nikitin. Chia was obviously fired after nearly running the Bruins into the ground. Todd McLellan is a great coach but he could never get the Sharks to that next level. Remember the epic collapse to the Kings in that 1st rd a few years back? Kings won the cup that year off that momentum. It might be as hard to attract winning execs (other than Nicholson) as it is free agents to Edmonton

The season ticket holders in Edmonton fear losing their seats forever if they give them up now. Even after over a decade of sucking scum they believe that they will have a champion again (some believe they'll rival the '80s teams). Even when they can't give individual game tickets away they can be sure that if they give up their season tickets somebody will snap them up. Then they'll have to join the queue if/when the Oilers ever become good. It's an investment in the future (I wonder if the seats can be written off as a charitable donation :lol: ).

It's nothing like Atlanta where they had a small but dedicated fan base. Those teams collected NHL welfare & had to buy tickets & give them away to reach the #s the league required for equalization payments.

I believe every NHL city in Canada has a waiting list for high priced season tickets. In TO most are owned by corporations that use them to take clients out to shmooz them. Even after all these years there is still an allure to a live Leafs game (thank TO based Canadian media for keeping them in the forefront regardless of their hockey play).

In TO most are owned by corporations that use them to take clients out to shmooz them. Even after all these years there is still an allure to a live Leafs game (thank TO based Canadian media for keeping them in the forefront regardless of their hockey play).

Games at the ACC aren't that awesome... You're right, though. I recently got tickets for the Flames game there on the 21st, and the price is egregious. Especially considering that they're basically playing the Marlies, and I can get Marlies tickets on game day for <$20.

A few weeks ago, I did get the chance to see the Oilers at the Bell Centre in Montreal, and that was a riot! The Canadiens won that game, and when PK scored, that place came unglued!

Love.

hate to say it, but the only way you change the culture , is to rebuild it from the head down . Calgary didnt have a hope of changing its culture until Iggy was moved. 

Not knocking Iggy,  great player .. great human being .. but he represented the culture.

If they truly want to shake it up , send a message , and get a great return to build around.. Hall is the one that has to go 

Archived