Louis23

It would be an outrage around the league, conspiracy theorists would rejoice! I mean the Avs, Coyotes and Flames have all shown progress by making the playoffs or atleast being competitive...what is wrong with the Oilers?? The league has to be concerned with the stagnation of this team

Maloney came out and talked about tanking this year.  That's as bad as the Oilers shipping out any talent they had last year (and probably this year) to ensure a bottom 5 finish.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maloney came out and talked about tanking this year. That's as bad as the Oilers shipping out any talent they had last year (and probably this year) to ensure a bottom 5 finish.

We'll see! You have to wonder if Chia Pet will consider parting with a 1st Rd to speed up their "rebuild". This team needs to see some progress and experience success especially in their brand new arena. Nobody wants to pay a premium to watch the same product it's had all these years

We'll see! You have to wonder if Chia Pet will consider parting with a 1st Rd to speed up their "rebuild". This team needs to see some progress and experience success especially in their brand new arena. Nobody wants to pay a premium to watch the same product it's had all these years

Well the season ticket holder were all willing to pay 20% more to see the same hockey in a new building.  Even before McJeezub was won.  There haven't been the same jersey tossings even if they are as bad or worse than last season.  None of them will want to embarrass McJ.

Man this stuff gets catty.

Call him what you like, McDavid's a heckuva player, kinda silly to harp on him because you know you'll be wrong. Draisatl's emerging and a top 3 pick might get them Chychrun.

They have trade fodder.

The biggest move the Oilers made was relegating the diabolically crap mgmt to the sidelines this year.

I'd love them to be in hell forever, but I just don't see it to be quite honest.

I'd certainly be a lot more peevish about trashing McDavid than I'm seeing here, it's kinda dumb/denial.

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer.

Call him what you like, McDavid's a heckuva player, kinda silly to harp on him because you know you'll be wrong. Draisatl's emerging and a top 3 pick might get them Chychrun.

They have trade fodder.

The biggest move the Oilers made was relegating the diabolically crap mgmt to the sidelines this year.

I'd love them to be in hell forever, but I just don't see it to be quite honest.

I'd certainly be a lot more peevish about trashing McDavid than I'm seeing here, it's kinda dumb/denial.

I'm sorry if I offended you by calling him a popular nickname.  Another 'savior' to the Oiler franchise, in case you don't know the origin of it.  There are lots of people that look at his 3 point or 5 point games and believe he has shown he is the real deal, but I would caution that he has not played much against tough teams.  Is he going to be a very good player?  Likely, considering his easy adjustment to the NHL.  Elite?  Possibly.  Maybe it would be prudent to at least see how he does in his rookie year and his 2nd season before you anoint him.

Last year they traded Perron for a possible lotto pick 1st and Klinkhammer.  Later they traded Petry for a 2nd and a 5th.  Two of their better players.

They have trade fodder.

I'll believe it when it happens. People have been saying for years that Edmonton will either challenge for a playoff spot or be in them outright but here we are and they're still in the basement. A team can only outscore its opponents so many times. Good defense and goaltending is required. The Oilers have little of either. Klefbom and Nurse are their only good defencemen to my knowledge. It's going to take more than that.

Like I said, I'll believe it when it happens. All blustering prior, is just hot air to keep Edmonton from freezing over.

They have trade fodder.

It can get catty indeed, I used to respect the Oilers as an organization..now I just respect their consistency of ineptitude. I personally think McDavid will be an elite player, I like the player but hate his team. You can already argue they are dependent on McDavid which has been their problem, relying on the newest 1st rounder to change the teams fortunes. Until the Oilers can prove they're an NHL team I just don't believe a word that comes out of this franchise

This is exactly why you can never accepting losing, even if you are rebuilding. The oilers have learned how to lose and have learned that once the calendar turns to Feb, Mar, April wins don't matter. As Vince Lombardi said "winning is a habit, unfortunately, so is losing".

The oilers organization was fine accepting losing as part of the bigger picture. I'm glad the flames have not set the same standard.

This is exactly why you can never accepting losing, even if you are rebuilding. The oilers have learned how to lose and have learned that once the calendar turns to Feb, Mar, April wins don't matter. As Vince Lombardi said "winning is a habit, unfortunately, so is losing".

The oilers organization was fine accepting losing as part of the bigger picture. I'm glad the flames have not set the same standard.

I am so annoyed with the Oilers....Jultz was a wasted asset.  Never coached to be defensive.  Never held accountable.  Given a ridiculous 2 year deal.  He's an RFA and isn't a good deal because of what it will cost to qualify him.  As a rental, he doesn't make sense.  Even if the Oilers retained salary, the new team would still only have a rental at a good price for a bad player.

I hope they choke on him.  Get stuck with him past the deadline and be forced to pay him or let him walk as a UFA.  

I am so annoyed with the Oilers....Jultz was a wasted asset.  Never coached to be defensive.  Never held accountable.  Given a ridiculous 2 year deal.  He's an RFA and isn't a good deal because of what it will cost to qualify him.  As a rental, he doesn't make sense.  Even if the Oilers retained salary, the new team would still only have a rental at a good price for a bad player.

I hope they choke on him.  Get stuck with him past the deadline and be forced to pay him or let him walk as a UFA.  

Of course they'll pay him. He's a future Norris winner after all. You have to spend big $$ on future Norris contenders.

My bad.  I thought it was a two year deal.  It was one at 3.9m.  Means they have to qualify him at the same or higher.  Or lose him for nothing.  

You know, actually, I think he's due a raise. The Oilers are paying most of their players on potential so as a future Norris winner, Jultz should get a raise... a big one.

Same old story with the Oilers. I bet if they starting handing out fines to the players over their poor play you'd see this team start to win games. Give the fine $ back to the fans they've been ripping off all these years.

I must ask since the Leafs are tied with the Oilers for last place in the NHL. Would Mike Babcock, "the greatest coach in the NHL today," have done any better with the Oilers than Todd McLellan? The Oilers reportedly targeted Babcock this past summer to be their head coach.

7 different coaches in 8 years. It's not the coach at this point. I think McLellan hit the nail on the head when u mentioned the state of the "spirit" on this team. The losing culture is real in that locker room, it's apparent no coach has been able to change that yet

I’m sure glad our Coach doesn’t stand in front of the media and say “we should trade some of these guys”.  I’m also glad our GM doesn’t advertise to the world that everyone is available except player M.  Our team is handled by professionals who announce moves after they have been made, not before, unlike what I see in other organizations.

I must ask since the Leafs are tied with the Oilers for last place in the NHL.  Would Mike Babcock, "the greatest coach in the NHL today," have done any better with the Oilers than Todd McLellan?  The Oilers reportedly targeted Babcock this past summer to be their head coach.

Not even he could do better with that group up North. It's actually mind boggling to me, that a franchise with so many high draft picks, still hasn't figured out how to develop the talent or escape the losing culture that permeates from the walls around them. How do they still have a fan base? Knowing that the draft has, for the last 10 years, basically no impact on the following season...other than sucking the fan base into continued support. I think Leah Hextall said it best last night. "The Oilers suck" I nearly died from laughter when she said what everyone else has to be thinking, but don't have the courage to say it.

I must ask since the Leafs are tied with the Oilers for last place in the NHL.  Would Mike Babcock, "the greatest coach in the NHL today," have done any better with the Oilers than Todd McLellan?  The Oilers reportedly targeted Babcock this past summer to be their head coach.

I'd love to go to their practices if he were the coach. He's not very nice if you don't play the way he's telling you to.

He made Phaneuf marketable in Toronto, built him up and lo and behold, off to Ottawa.

He'd have done the same to any of their "stars" by this point.

Play his way, best coach you'll ever have.

Don't, he'll devise a plan to lose you.

I guarantee what the Leafs trade at the deadline will be what he wants out of his hair.

Archived