Louis23

McDavid won't be cleared to return for another 2 months.  By that time, the Oilers should be sitting last place in the Conference, again.  No need to rush him back at that time.  They will go into the draft lottery with the best odds for Auston Matthews.  And they will win the lottery again.  You just know it... 

Draisaitl - McDavid - Matthews

Hall - RNH - Eberle

x: Yakupov

I would literally pull my hair out of my nose if this would happen!

Matthews doesn't have to go to us, the Flames, but please put a new good young player somewhere else (except Vancouver lol) other than Edmonton!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't give it to the Oilers automatically.

Players of this caliber tend to be "won" by the team that's got the NHL's latest new arena deal.

Who knows...could be us.    Hard to tell with the economy, but it's possible.

One thing's for sure, it's gonna be a long season for both Alberta teams.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been few trades between the Flames and Oilers, and none of them have ended well for us.

One ex-Oiler that played well for us and was a thornin the sides of Oiler fans was GlenX.

Fayne was ruined by playing there.

Petry was one of their best d-men, and is doing well in Montreal.

Maybe it's the lack of trades, but it doesn't give me any confidence that an ex-Oiler could help out here.

Mark Fayne was a pretty below avg dman before he got to Edmonton so I don't agree he was "ruined" by them. He was just one of the many questionable signings by Craig MacTavish becuaes in NJ he was a decent 5/6 guy but not an overly fantastic skater. NOw that the Oilers appear to be playing more up tempo from their D he isn't a fit. 

He was mostly a plus player before getting to EDM.  He was never about offense, but was able to put up over 11 points in a full season.

He was sought after at the time he was signed as a FA.  

So, you are right that his footspeed was his biggest detriment.  A true shutdown D-man on the Oilers does not match their desire to have the defense score more goals than they let in.  Gryba will be the next victim.

Players of this caliber tend to be "won" by the team that's got the NHL's latest new arena deal.

The oilers will be the only team playing in a brand new arena next year. Did the Flames arena even get approved yet? If it did you're probably 5 years away from opening night

Who knows...could be us. Hard to tell with the economy, but it's possible.

The oilers will be the only team playing in a brand new arena next year. Did the Flames arena even get approved yet? If it did you're probably 5 years away from opening night

Who knows...could be us. Hard to tell with the economy, but it's possible.

And toronto put Bernier in the A for conditioning. The implication is that both are far better managed than last yr. Neither group is frozen by outside opinion of things they have to do.

It's going to be a big difference with both teams moving forward, they've sucked and been stagnant so long, the front end overhauls had become an afterthought.

But they've happened now...

• 4 weeks later...

The Oilers are probably crying soft tears today after hearing that McJeezub is out until after the All Star weekend.  Only 32 games left at that point for him to A) win the Calder, B) lead the Oilers to the playoffs, C) win the Hart trophy.

Oiler fans over on ON were drooling about having him back against the Flames on January 16th, figuring that he handed our butts to us.  Oh, yeah he was such a force last game.  20 minutes of ice, 0 shots, 2 PIM and -2.  And that was when Ramo was mired in a bad stretch of goaltending.

The Oilers should be relegated, just like soccer teams in the English Premier League! This team and franchise is nothing but an embarrassment. Again they'll likely be in the Austin Matthews conversation, knowing them they'll probably win the sweepstakes yet again. Only to mire yet another star in their losing culture.

Oilers Forums(OMB) has a thread right now that covers this player and the discussion is a lot different about the hit and about the player. They are also complaining that the refs are against the Oilers.

Does it surprize anyone that the callup of Kassian is being looked upon as he is going to be the big enforcer / power forward / rough tough player that the Oilers have always needed? All those guys pumped him up already when he is trying to deal with rehab I "almost" feel sorry for the guy until I see who it is.

The local posters up there also feel that most other teams have been targeting their stars. This is fueling their "the refs have been against us" feelings.

Oilers Forums(OMB) has a thread right now that covers this player and the discussion is a lot different about the hit and about the player. They are also complaining that the refs are against the Oilers.

Does it surprize anyone that the callup of Kassian is being looked upon as he is going to be the big enforcer / power forward / rough tough player that the Oilers have always needed? All those guys pumped him up already when he is trying to deal with rehab I "almost" feel sorry for the guy until I see who it is.

The local posters up there also feel that most other teams have been targeting their stars. This is fueling their "the refs have been against us" feelings.

This is why we need guys like Bollig and Engellend in the lineup.  They deter dirty hits against our star players. 

Don Cherry didn't exactly help the situation when he said that McDavid had been targeted by a fringe NHL player.

A clean, open ice hit against Hall.  Nothing malicious.  He left himself open facing the wrong way expecting nobody to touch him?

Johnny experienced a fiercer hit from Datsyuk last year and learned from it.  

The response from the Oilers was to target their star defender, not the guy that threw the hit.  After the hit, Hendricks dropped the gloves with a player not even responding to his hit on Ekblad.

You are right about Kassian being expected to come in a pound people to a pulp.  It's not a good first step on the road to recovery.

He has had trouble with controlling his aggression, so this is setting him up to fail.  I don't like the douche, but he shouldn't be in the NHL right now.  He needs to clean up.    

The Oilers are tied for 29th right now. I have no idea how their fan base has dealt with a decade of ineptitude. They gain more and more assets year after year only to find themselves in a stage of regression year after year. Kassian isn't the answer to this franchises problems, it's not as easy as inserting a big body into their lineup. I look forward to handing them another loss this Saturday!

The Oilers are tied for 29th right now. I have no idea how their fan base has dealt with a decade of ineptitude. They gain more and more assets year after year only to find themselves in a stage of regression year after year. Kassian isn't the answer to this franchises problems, it's not as easy as inserting a big body into their lineup. I look forward to handing them another loss this Saturday!

It was a move of two players; a goalie they had given up on and a forward that had blown his chance to play on a team.

I have no doubt that they really don't see themselves as 29th, because McDavid automatically gives them a 10 point bump in the standings.  Funny, but the game where McDavid and Bennett played together, McJezub was held off the scoresheet and posted a -2 with no shots and 2 PIM for the night.  Many of their fans still see him as the Calder winner.

All true above, but no fan base is more convinced the refs and league are conspiring against them than the Vancouver Canucks fans on their CDC message board.

Kasssian is probably only playing because of the injuries to McDavid and Yakupov plus Hendrick's suspension.

If everyone else was healthy, I'd guess that they'd leave him in the AHL for much longer to work out his issues.

Bringing him back to the NHL as early as Saturday could derail his rehab.

If the Flames light up the Oilers, he could lose it, and do something stupid.

Every year the Oilers think their #1 pick will be the Calder winner. McDavid will bring a spark back to the team once he returns but that's a ton of pressure for a youngster to turn the franchise around. The fact the Oilers are depending once again on a rookie to turn their fortunes is part of the problem. I think Bennett has been able to develop without the pressure and it will really be interesting to see how the Calder race turns out

Wasent it ekblad that layed the hit? I just found it odd, you could see hendricks target ekblad as soon as he picked up the puck behind the net. Im always suprised when people say why was he facing away and putting himself in that position? I dont get why they would expect the player to be standing there in hockey stance facing the on coming hitter.

Archived