GDT - Game 1 - Calgary @ Vancouver - 09-Oct-25 8:00PM

Kulstad

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really bad 1st period like really bad. I was impressed by Mantha, that line each scored and looked not bad. Didn't mind the Bean/ Pahcel pairing. Vldar needed to make that save at the end, but if Backs would have just tossed it off to Coleman its a moot point, extremely poor decision by the captain.  Sloppy but it's a win I Guess.

5 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Really bad 1st period like really bad. I was impressed by Mantha, that line each scored and looked not bad. Didn't mind the Bean/ Pahcel pairing. Vldar needed to make that save at the end, but if Backs would have just tossed it off to Coleman its a moot point, extremely poor decision by the captain.  Sloppy but it's a win I Guess.

Some might say that was a perfect slapshot from 20 feet away.

Awful 1st period.  Train wreck out there

Did not like the Miller hit but not illegal.   The Flames were looking for revenge not playing hockey.  Good to see the team stand up for eachother.

Much better 2nd and 3rd.

Mantha looks like one of those players you don't want to wake up.   I thought Kuzy was pretty invisible most of the game.

Backs should have pased off to get the empty net goal but what a finsh by Zary.

+1 Kulstad!!

Missed the whole shebang. Glad SN runs replays.

Nice to read Mantha showed his star qualities. He can be the best on the ice when he's engaged. Seeing how good he can be is exciting. Then knowing that, and see him turn it off completely, makes it that much more frustrating.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

+1 Kulstad!!

Missed the whole shebang. Glad SN runs replays.

Nice to read Mantha showed his star qualities. He can be the best on the ice when he's engaged. Seeing how good he can be is exciting. Then knowing that, and see him turn it off completely, makes it that much more frustrating.

The post game coverage by SN was a hoot.  Coby started with "what a boring game to watch, no action, no intrigue, normal hockey:.  Showed highlights in random order to "back up" his points.  Showed the goal on Vladar with no mask.  The unexciting tying goal and the lackluster GWG.  

Of course, this was after about 15 minutes of direct to SN Central to talk about the Leafs and Oilers losses.  

It was a fun game once they got past the 1st period.  Gordie Howe for Mantha.  Had two breakaways to score and he got one.  Definitely one of the more engaged Flames players.  Decided he would be the thorn in the side of Miller.  Maybe too much attention and not enough hockey at that point.  Got the fight finally and started to play hockey.  I wasn't expecting him to be such a prick, but he showed a bit of Tkachuk mentality.  Would prefer about 50% less of the prick intensity, but maybe use that against teams we will have trouble beating in goals for.

Van rioters: "JT Miller" bomp bomp bob-bom-bomp "JT Miller"

Connor Zary: "hold my beer". lol

What a great lane Pospisil ran on that winner. Straight at Silovs and cut away at the last second. That was a really sharp play. Former Wings superstar Filip Hronek gets walked 1-on-1. Yeah, like I haven't seen that before.

Don't miss him hiding behind points, at all.

Just watched the replay of the game. So...I did actually watch the game.

I hope Vladar does well, he has to focus on the puck though, not the distractions. He's a good goalie, but you have to stop trying to see everything at some point, and just focus on the puck and positioning.

Sprong's goal was weak imo. You were screened, sure. Cover as much net with your size as you can. No reason to give top of the net. Goalies playing from their knees drives me nuts. It's so prevalent. I'd have been shot into the sun.

In other thoughts...Van, Heinen on the 1st line and Sprong on the 2nd? wtf? woof.

In the end, huge kudos to Huska playing ZaryPops in 3-on-3. Good to see. Remove Backlund though.

Dude is stellar at his role. It's just that 3-on-3 shouldn't be part of his role.

29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Van rioters: "JT Miller" bomp bomp bob-bom-bomp "JT Miller"

Connor Zary: "hold my beer". lol

What a great lane Pospisil ran on that winner. Straight at Silovs and cut away at the last second. That was a really sharp play. Former Wings superstar Filip Hronek gets walked 1-on-1. Yeah, like I haven't seen that before.

Don't miss him hiding behind points, at all.

Just watched the replay of the game. So...I did actually watch the game.

I hope Vladar does well, he has to focus on the puck though, not the distractions. He's a good goalie, but you have to stop trying to see everything at some point, and just focus on the puck and positioning.

Sprong's goal was weak imo. You were screened, sure. Cover as much net with your size as you can. No reason to give top of the net. Goalies playing from their knees drives me nuts. It's so prevalent. I'd have been shot into the sun.

In other thoughts...Van, Heinen on the 1st line and Sprong on the 2nd? wtf? woof.

In the end, huge kudos to Huska playing ZaryPops in 3-on-3. Good to see. Remove Backlund though.

Dude is stellar at his role. It's just that 3-on-3 shouldn't be part of his role.

You may recall that Backlund's weak sauce EN attempt came back on us with the Miller goal.  Not looking to his left where Coleman was ahead of him and almost offside.  Like Jtech, I could not find a replay where Miller didn't look a mile offside.  It wasn't challenged, so I have no idea if the video coach didn't bother or didn't have a good feed.  SN only showed one angle.  

If Backlund is winning faceoffs, then he should be out there for the immediate faceoff only and jump off.  Last night he was below par, while Kadri was 63%.  

Back in the day Dryden was the goalie model of stand up and stop goals.  Then came Roy with the butterfly.  Great except for 5 hole, blocker side high, etc.  Vladar shows how small he is in that, but then again Markstrom showed the same thing.  Vladar has to better understand the angles if he's going down like that.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You may recall that Backlund's weak sauce EN attempt came back on us with the Miller goal.  Not looking to his left where Coleman was ahead of him and almost offside.  Like Jtech, I could not find a replay where Miller didn't look a mile offside.  It wasn't challenged, so I have no idea if the video coach didn't bother or didn't have a good feed.  SN only showed one angle.  

If Backlund is winning faceoffs, then he should be out there for the immediate faceoff only and jump off.  Last night he was below par, while Kadri was 63%.  

Back in the day Dryden was the goalie model of stand up and stop goals.  Then came Roy with the butterfly.  Great except for 5 hole, blocker side high, etc.  Vladar shows how small he is in that, but then again Markstrom showed the same thing.  Vladar has to better understand the angles if he's going down like that.

Honestly, Backstrom should have just dumped it in behind their net. I get beside myself when players only see an empty net, as opposed to the safe play to kill valuable seconds and regroup.

Backlund isn't on an island. Happens everywhere. As a coach, I'd become unglued. Secure the win, don't worry about their empty net. Just play safe.

Constant icings at open nets annoys me the most. Like, why? Stop being the Detroit Red Wings. lol

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Honestly, Backstrom should have just dumped it in behind their net. I get beside myself when players only see an empty net, as opposed to the safe play to kill valuable seconds and regroup.

Backlund isn't on an island. Happens everywhere. As a coach, I'd become unglued. Secure the win, don't worry about their empty net. Just play safe.

Constant icings at open nets annoys me the most. Like, why? Stop being the Detroit Red Wings. lol

I would have even preferred to see a dump[ and chase, because you know Coleman is with you on the ice?  Maybe the safe dump in would be the bank shot off the boards?  At worst, the puck goes dead into the corner and allows you to forecheck to kill time.  And you allow your line to recognize the threats on the ice, not somehow being surprised by a winger at your blueline.  SN claimed they were protecting the middle of the ice.  

Anyway, the big issue for me was not holding the lead on one of the only bits of offense the Nucks had in the 3rd period.  We are going to be in a lot of 1 goal games, so we need to tighten up a bit better.

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Anthony Mantha got into some detail today about what went in to his fight with JT Miller yesterday. Mantha bargained with Miller right after the hit: “I told him I’m probably the [least] tough of the opponents that he could pick from.”

There's only one Mike Modano.

It definitely served its purpose.

Every team, quickly. Annoy Mantha. lol