2024-25 Season

conundrumed

Based on the opening lineup, I feel pretty sure that Calgary will finish in the Bottom 10 again this season, possibly even Bottom 5.

I'm fine with that as I don't want Montreal to get the Flames 2025 1st round draft pick, I'd much rather give up Florida's to them.

That said, I think that Calgary will probably be an entertaining team to watch, win or lose.

Players such as Kuzmenko, Pospisil, Sharangovich, and Lomberg should be able to keep the games interesting in a number of different ways.

Wolf, Honzek, and Klapka could bring some surprises to the season as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Based on the opening lineup, I feel pretty sure that Calgary will finish in the Bottom 10 again this season, possibly even Bottom 5.

I'm fine with that as I don't want Montreal to get the Flames 2025 1st round draft pick, I'd much rather give up Florida's to them.

That said, I think that Calgary will probably be an entertaining team to watch, win or lose.

Players such as Kuzmenko, Pospisil, Sharangovich, and Lomberg should be able to keep the games interesting in a number of different ways.

100% can still be exciting hockey.  I would argue has the potential to be more exciting than many previous years.    Definitely true of the offseason.

I always find it more interesting to watch players who are getting better versus players in decline.

9 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Ya it's looking like 5-9 from the bottom.  Flames have like three NHL caliber 2nd lines.  Just don't have a 1st line.  Weegar and Andersson are legit.  Wolf will prove to be legit... But depth on D is suspect and it's hard to get timely scoring when there's no gamebreaker on offense.  But we should win some games.

I don't see an issue with scoring, but goaltending and D coverage will be the issue IMHO. However, if these guys outplay beyond expectations on D and Vldar stands on his head, we could raise a few eyebrows. I think the belief in the room is they believe they can make noise, tonight's game will be a good test. 

Wouldn't surprise me if the Flames got off to a good start. They actually have a pretty solid forward crop and the makings of a bit of promise on the back end. Special teams should be good and while there goaltending is a bit of a question mark I'm not one who thinks it will be below avg or terrible.

Challenge for the Flames will be what happens to them when the grind of the season starts. Obviously they lack high end talent so they are going to have to win games with an all in team approach which isn't easy to do over 82 games. You can win a certain amount of games, and maybe even get into the playoffs, this way but sometimes you just need players to take over and I don't think they have anyone capable of this. 

D is the biggest question mark I have.  They've got some potential there, they've got he ability to skate and move the puck but where I suspect they are going to struggle is defending the rush and defending the cycles down low. Their D is built to be quick and with the ability to the join the rush, it's not build to kill rushes or plays down low as they don't appear to have players that excel in these areas. But they've got 2 wildcards here in Bahl and Miromanov so there is potential that if they have found something here they might be ok. I'm not personally a fan of Miromanov but they saw something and if they are right that would help. But again, difference between being OK and being OK over 82 games. 

Other question I have is Huska. Like him a lot as a person but I thought he struggled as a head coach. Thought they played too passive last year, too slow and a little too old school for where the game is going. Does he change or can he change? I think if the Flames plays the same way they did last year it's going to highlight the weakness on D i'm mentioning. 

So potential for this to go OK but some big questions they'd have to answer first. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Flames got off to a good start. They actually have a pretty solid forward crop and the makings of a bit of promise on the back end. speciali teams should be good and while there goaltending is a question mark I'm not sure I see it as terrible. 

Challenge for the Flames will be what happens to them when the grind of the season starts. Obviously they lack high end talent so they are going to have to win games with an all in team approach which isn't easy to do over 82 games. You can win a certain amount of games, and maybe even get into the playoffs, this way but sometimes you just need players to take over and I don't think they have anyone capable of this. 

D is the biggest question mark I have.  They've got some potential there, they've got he ability to skate and move the puck but where I suspect they are going to struggle is defending the rush and defending the cycles down low. Their D is built to be quick and with the ability to the join the rush, it's not build to kill rushes or plays down low as they don't appear to have players that excel in these areas. But they've got 2 wildcards here in Bahl and Miromanov so there is potential that if they have found something here they might be ok. I'm not personally a fan of Miromanov but they saw something and if they are right that would help. But again, difference between being OK and being OK over 82 games. 

Other question I have is Huska. Like him a lot as a person but I thought he struggled as a head coach. Thought they played too passive last year, too slow and a little too old school for where the game is going. Does he change or can he change? I think if the Flames plays the same way they did last year it's going to highlight the weakness on D i'm mentioning. 

So potential for this to go OK but some big questions they'd have to answer first. 

Good summary.  There doesn't seem to be a lack of depth in the F group.  Some of our 4th line would be 3rd on other teams with less depth.  The D is a little inexperienced to compete for a full season, but they also could surprise.  The G group is hard for me to gauge right now.  Wolf played well, but hasn't really had to do full backup for a season, and he may be tasked with more than just 25 games.  In fact that is very likely.  Vladar played injured, so it's hard for me to critique him from last year and know whether he can carry the team for 50 games.  That is a lot of games for him.

The 82 game grind is going to wear on players like Backlund, Mantha, Huberdeau, Weegar, especially if we go through losing stretches.  Backlund was in peak consition at camp, so I think it's just going to be wear and tear for him, playing many minutes per game.  Weegar and Coleman get mad about cohesion and lack of consistent play.  A couple of the younger players might hit the wall by January, just due to the daily grind.

Huska seems very introspective, which is fine from a learning and change perspective, but in-game is where you need a coach to be dialed in.  He complains more about slow starts but seems to be unable to get them ready to start.  Part player part coach, so who really knows if a different coach has better success.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Flames got off to a good start. They actually have a pretty solid forward crop and the makings of a bit of promise on the back end. Special teams should be good and while there goaltending is a bit of a question mark I'm not one who thinks it will be below avg or terrible.

My hunch as well as far as the start of the season goes. CGY is the 2nd worst team in the league as far as the power rankings are concerned.

No pressure can work in their favor.

Would not be surprised if they have a winning record 10 to 12 games in.

Then the pressure might come and things will trend the way everyone expects.

It's for the best 🙂

22 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

My hunch as well as far as the start of the season goes. CGY is the 2nd worst team in the league as far as the power rankings are concerned.

No pressure can work in their favor.

Would not be surprised if they have a winning record 10 to 12 games in.

Then the pressure might come and things will trend the way everyone expects.

It's for the best 🙂

Power rankings by the same group that misses the boat every season.

I think the team is under great pressure to make the playoffs in spite of the popular narrative by experts.

But success will be measured as to whether we can sustain it.

I'm doubting we can, so I'm not expecting the playoffs.

I mean, there is certainly a lot of potential for the season to get ugly very quickly and very fast.  However, I watched the Utah vs CHI game yesterday and CHI is clearly just Bedard carrying a bunch of AHLers.  There's no way the Flames will finish below CHI this season.  Let's see what SJS, ANA, and CBJ can do right out of the gates here... My feeling is there's no way the Flames are worse than those other 3 teams too.  It's not even about what we do this season... those other teams are just sooo bad.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I mean, there is certainly a lot of potential for the season to get ugly very quickly and very fast.  However, I watched the Utah vs CHI game yesterday and CHI is clearly just Bedard carrying a bunch of AHLers.  There's no way the Flames will finish below CHI this season.  Let's see what SJS, ANA, and CBJ can do right out of the gates here... My feeling is there's no way the Flames are worse than those other 3 teams too.  It's not even about what we do this season... those other teams are just sooo bad.

It takes some time for a team to get really bad.  3 of those teams have a lot of experience and have each been doing it for the last 3 years.  CBJ has had trouble to get players since they traded their best players.  Perhaps some willful designs not to get better, but at least they went after a top player and managed to sign him.  It's going to be a tough season for them emotionally, so I think they continue at the bottom.

With the idea of taking some time to get bad, don't expect that to happen right away with the Flames.  We still have a full complement of actual NHL players.  Some of them had good seasons and some will have better seasons.  We may see some 5-2 wins, but likely a lot of 3-1 losses.  Do I see them getting higher than 85 points this season?  Probably not unless the goalies stand on their heads.  Do I see them in the lowest 5 in the league?  Unlikely.  There are going to be at least 5 teams out of the playoff picture by Christmas.  Like 1-3 consistent records.    

Unless Rooney is okay, we are down a C.  That's a bit of unintended circumstances considering we waived a C to keep up Coronato.  I'm not saying Schwindt was the answer at all, but we kept up 2 wingers and a 8th D-man.  I'm assuming Morton is next on the depth chart, should we need to deal with it, but only if we make a move before hand.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Unless Rooney is okay, we are down a C.  That's a bit of unintended circumstances considering we waived a C to keep up Coronato.  I'm not saying Schwindt was the answer at all, but we kept up 2 wingers and a 8th D-man.  I'm assuming Morton is next on the depth chart, should we need to deal with it, but only if we make a move before hand.

I've liked Morton more than Schwindt. Not even close, really. Plays with a ton of jam. I'm guessing he's the call-up.

Nothing against Schwindt, I wish him well.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I've liked Morton more than Schwindt. Not even close, really. Plays with a ton of jam. I'm guessing he's the call-up.

Nothing against Schwindt, I wish him well.

I wasn't faulting the decision to waive him, just the idea that Morton would not have been kept up as an extra C over another winger.  The Sharky loss puts us down a C and the loss of Rooney for any time puts us down another.  Unless IR we don't have the roster spot for Morton.  I think a likely scenario is we waive Hanley or send down Coronato.  The latter isn't really fair considering that he did nothing to warrant the demotion.  Hanley is an extra D we don't currently need.  

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wasn't faulting the decision to waive him, just the idea that Morton would not have been kept up as an extra C over another winger.  The Sharky loss puts us down a C and the loss of Rooney for any time puts us down another.  Unless IR we don't have the roster spot for Morton.  I think a likely scenario is we waive Hanley or send down Coronato.  The latter isn't really fair considering that he did nothing to warrant the demotion.  Hanley is an extra D we don't currently need.  

That looked a lot like Rooney will be on the IR soon enough.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Today officially marks the first day that I will quit whining and tank-talking after the off-season.

Fine Print:  To be re-evaluated later in winter.

Go Flames Go

You almost had me going there.  Perhaps you actually meant to say that you would re-evaluate once it becomes obvious we are bottom 10.

Later in winter has some possible meanings; 1) February/March, or 2) later in the season of winter.

Maybe I just shut up.  Maybe I should gotten into law or grammar peace officer enforcement.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You almost had me going there.  Perhaps you actually meant to say that you would re-evaluate once it becomes obvious we are bottom 10.

Later in winter has some possible meanings; 1) February/March, or 2) later in the season of winter.

Maybe I just shut up.  Maybe I should gotten into law or grammar peace officer enforcement.

I feel like I would have to essentially break my statement to answer that question lol.

Was a pretty exciting game and that is how I will look at all of them win or lose.  Will be great to see the development.

For the competitive side of me I expect the Wranglers to not disappoint 

49 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I feel like I would have to essentially break my statement to answer that question lol.

Was a pretty exciting game and that is how I will look at all of them win or lose.  Will be great to see the development.

For the competitive side of me I expect the Wranglers to not disappoint 

I'm just ripping you man.  No harm meant.  I found the game to be a tale of two teams; the one that believes it should avenge anything done by another team to their players, and the one that believes it can win every game.  That's just how it shook out.  Too much worry about punishing until after the Mantha fight.  He was funny in his TSN interview where he said he kept telling Miller he was going to have to fight somebody.  Either it as him, the least mean person on the team, or another. 

Enough about that.  The team looks like it knows how to get out of holes.  The Nucks of last night was probably one of the easier teams lo come back on.  The only team easier last night to score on was perhaps the Oilers.  We can't be spotting a team 3 goals that early. 

I have to wonder if the relative inexperience of some of the players was the reason why they came back.  Nobody told them you can't score 4 unanswered goals in the NHL.  Perhaps Mantha was tired of people talking about his lack of compete.  Perhaps the late rounders, non-generational-predicted, and passed over fringe players decided they were tired of the media yapping about superstars and not about team effort.  

I am already impressed with our younger players.  They should be fun to watch and if we only get 9 games of Honzek, he will be better for it.