24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

Anyone get eyes on this game?

I didn't but in this brief highlight video, looked like Basha and Misa had something going, on that line. Morton looked good.

Huska likes Rooney on the PK. So he's going to play a lot, especially to start the season. I won't be at all surprised if Morton ends up centering the 4th line this year though. Morton stepped into the AHL last year and was really good in both the regular season and playoffs. Think he's gonna get an NHL look this year.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Anyone get eyes on this game?

I didn't but in this brief highlight video, looked like Basha and Misa had something going, on that line. Morton looked good.

Huska likes Rooney on the PK. So he's going to play a lot, especially to start the season. I won't be at all surprised if Morton ends up centering the 4th line this year though. Morton stepped into the AHL last year and was really good in both the regular season and playoffs. Think he's gonna get an NHL look this year.

I watched some of it.  I'm not a huge fan of web only games, due to the screen size.  Makes it harder to see the little things.  What I saw was periods of domination by both teams, but I missed some of that done by the Oilers where the shot clock jad them up by a bunch.  Here is what I can attest to:

Morton was good.  He was noticeable on his shifts and his goal (think Basha fed him) was really good.  2 on 1.  He's not really a young star, so he should be one of the better players out there.  

Misa looked good.  Saw some good plays.  Missed too many to make a fair call on him vs others.

Brz was one of the best D we had out there if not the best.  At both ends.  Parekh's skating was fully evident, but he's very much risky for a pro game.  Really needs to work on that part.  

Ignatjew was good in what I saw.  He tried for a EN goal at the end.  May have been prevented only by a Oiler high stick.

With regards to who makes the team out of camp, obviously way too early.  I sense that guys that require waivers could be waived.  With adds like Lomberg, Mantha, Bean and Bahl, you could see some vets and some guys that could make it be sent down.  It's tough to find a place for Rooney, Hunt, Pelletier, Coronato, Pachal, Hanley, Barrie, and Grush.  

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

With regards to who makes the team out of camp, obviously way too early.  I sense that guys that require waivers could be waived.  With adds like Lomberg, Mantha, Bean and Bahl, you could see some vets and some guys that could make it be sent down.  It's tough to find a place for Rooney, Hunt, Pelletier, Coronato, Pachal, Hanley, Barrie, and Grush.  

Pelletier is going to be the interesting one.  Now that he needs waivers. After losing Valimaki on waivers, I’m not sure it’s worth taking the chance. 

I find it interesting that everyone else at Young Stars has a training camp number, but Grushnikov is wearing 3. Think there’s a logjam on D, making it rally hard for a young player to make the team.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Pelletier is going to be the interesting one.  Now that he needs waivers. After losing Valimaki on waivers, I’m not sure it’s worth taking the chance. 

I find it interesting that everyone else at Young Stars has a training camp number, but Grushnikov is wearing 3. Think there’s a logjam on D, making it rally hard for a young player to make the team.

Grushnikov has looked good, gaining confidence and making solid plays. He could play some games this year, for sure.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Parekh's skating was fully evident, but he's very much risky for a pro game.  Really needs to work on that part.  

Nice almost-goal off the post, he's impossible not to notice for both good and bad reasons.   He's a smart guy, I am quite sure he feels:

1.  I am a liability out there

2. Organisation has a lot of faith in me

Can't be fixed overnight.  I can see him Trying to fix it.   But it's literally learning a whole new skill that maybe he didn't fully appreciate the need to learn.   I think he will understand it at another level after this camp.   It will take time.

Training camp next year:   I think he'll be noticeably improved, but still not there.  

3-4 years from now:   If he has it figured out then he could easily be our most valuable player.

Can 100% be learned.  Seen it happen.   It's years though.   Sounds like a long time but it's a lot less than trying to learn his shot, speed, offensive vision.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

watched some of it.  I'm not a huge fan of web only games, due to the screen size. 

Screen size? The little box at the bottom right of the video makes it full screen. On Friday, I had 2 games going on TVs in my (w)rec(k) room. Full screen!!

I missed Saturday’s games and happily blame the Marcus King Band in London. Didn’t even have to cross a border this time!!

He was the best player Saturday night!

Next time we hire a bus. Even the wives loved him, which is never easy.

As long as the prospects are getting used to beating Edmonton, we’re good!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Screen size? The little box at the bottom right of the video makes it full screen. On Friday, I had 2 games going on TVs in my (w)rec(k) room. Full screen!!

I missed Saturday’s games and happily blame the Marcus King Band in London. Didn’t even have to cross a border this time!!

He was the best player Saturday night!

Next time we hire a bus. Even the wives loved him, which is never easy.

As long as the prospects are getting used to beating Edmonton, we’re good!!

I'm not that computer illiterate.  I suppose I could have held it up to my face and it would be like watching on a big screen.  And I could have run on the TV, but then I have no access to laptop.  1st world problems.

Our young stars beat their young stars.  Nice.  I missed the fight though.  Because it was on laptop, I was surfing other things.  Watched maybe half the game.  The P by P guy is the radio guy and I can't stand listening to him.  Unlike a NHL game with the Oilers on, I can't watch without sound.  No idea who the player numbers are so it's either listen to the announcer and cringe or watch and not know who anyone is.  And, yes I watch Oiler games without sound.  Tough to listen to the orgasmic discussion.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not TC so much as Young Stars, but today's lineup:

Ciona-Misa-Basha

Honzek-McNamara-Gridin

Battaglia-Lipinski-Laing

Bell-Silye-Janicke

Jamieson-Parekh

Hurtig-Mews

Morin-Jurmo

Ignatjew

Murphy

No Grushnikov – Brzustewicz ??

59 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Ignatjew out, Murphy in for the back half. 2-2. Flames having a rough 2nd period.

I gave up when the Nucks put in two with less than 8 remaining in the 3rd.

One was a Jamieson stick check attempt after Parekh tried end to end and was ahead of the puck on turnover.  The C came back but the Nuck had a line to the net.  Can't tell if it was a good shot or a bad save attempt.  After that, it seemed like the Nucks had increased pressure on the Flames.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm going to go ahead and vote for all Flames games to start at 5:30 est. lol

That's even early for a Saturday game.  I vote for 5:30 MT.

Put all Oilers games on at 8PM MT, then I can find something more entertainiing, like the gardening channel.  Or the paint drying channel.  The first was a misdirected insult to gardening.  Is there a tiddleywinks channel?

4-3 loss with a solid first, bad 2nd and an energized 3rd. The Gridin-Honzek line was easily the best. Misa-Basha had to go up against Van's best all game and were stifled.

Connor Murphy came in cold and gave up 2 he likely would have had. Solid 3rd. Ignatjew was really solid. The refs were something else, lol. Even the Van crew were like, "hmmm".

Gridin was the story, though. Nobody chooses to spend a lot of time in Muskegon. You spend a day bombing around the sand dunes, and you're done. The Flames amateur scouts found a good reason to, though.

Can't wait to see him in pro camp. Quite the Morin-Gridin bang-bang pass to send Honzek in alone:

• Like 1

I saw games 1 and 3. My overall takeaway is positive.

Great to see signings and acquisitions outside of the drafted prospects be cagey ones.

Bruce, Morton and Ignatjew in particular.

We had the youngest squad at the tourney at an average of 19.5yo. With that in mind, I'd say they fared really, really well.

Players were taking anywhere from 1st to 3rd line tasks. At 1st line, it was typically a struggle playing AHL vets. 2nd and 3rd line shifts is where they had success. No surprise. We didn't have much structure whereas the AHL vets did. That stuck out like a sore thumb at times, but you had to expect it.

I'm not going through the trials and tribulations of every rookie. It's their beginning-to-see pro hockey competition first hand. So there is good and bad, but pointless to harp about at this very early beginning. Like Ciona's new-found skating, they'll all iron out deficiencies.

The main goal was met: Nobody got hurt.

Fun hockey to watch.

One aside is, where will Gridin actually play this season? I'm not entirely sure if he needs the CHL. Michigan would have been perfect. I guess we'll see how it plays out in camp.

Let the Flames staff decide sounds great to me. I'd just kinda prefer it not be the Q.

I should be careful. Somehow the Hunters will magically step in. lol

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I saw games 1 and 3. My overall takeaway is positive.

Great to see signings and acquisitions outside of the drafted prospects be cagey ones.

Bruce, Morton and Ignatjew in particular.

We had the youngest squad at the tourney at an average of 19.5yo. With that in mind, I'd say they fared really, really well.

Players were taking anywhere from 1st to 3rd line tasks. At 1st line, it was typically a struggle playing AHL vets. 2nd and 3rd line shifts is where they had success. No surprise. We didn't have much structure whereas the AHL vets did. That stuck out like a sore thumb at times, but you had to expect it.

I'm not going through the trials and tribulations of every rookie. It's their beginning-to-see pro hockey competition first hand. So there is good and bad, but pointless to harp about at this very early beginning. Like Ciona's new-found skating, they'll all iron out deficiencies.

The main goal was met: Nobody got hurt.

Fun hockey to watch.

One aside is, where will Gridin actually play this season? I'm not entirely sure if he needs the CHL. Michigan would have been perfect. I guess we'll see how it plays out in camp.

Let the Flames staff decide sounds great to me. I'd just kinda prefer it not be the Q.

I should be careful. Somehow the Hunters will magically step in. lol

Yeah that was everything I'd hoped for.    I remember we were all like "what" when we didn't take Basha in the 1st round.   Then we got Gridin and Basha a few steps later.    Completely nailed that.

Honestly I think this 2024 draft class, and...Also some of the signings, are going to be a Big, big deal in the NHL in 3-4 years and the big excitement about them should start kicking in around middle of this upcoming season.  

Our last two first-rounders with goals, and nice ones,

Can Gridin just go straight to the AHL?  I will never understand those rules.   

Give me another 3 years of drafting/acquisitions like that, get the development right, and Red Mile's going to be booming.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Yeah that was everything I'd hoped for.    I remember we were all like "what" when we didn't take Basha in the 1st round.   Then we got Gridin and Basha a few steps later.    Completely nailed that.

Honestly I think this 2024 draft class, and...Also some of the signings, are going to be a Big, big deal in the NHL in 3-4 years and the big excitement about them should start kicking in around middle of this upcoming season.  

Our last two first-rounders with goals, and nice ones,

Can Gridin just go straight to the AHL?  I will never understand those rules.   

Give me another 3 years of drafting/acquisitions like that, get the development right, and Red Mile's going to be booming.

Yes. That restriction only applies to kids taken out of major junior. 

I don't think the AHL is best for him personally but technically he can play there. 

• Like 1