24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I prefer to think of it as, "drove home the reality of the situation". lol

Pelletier has no leverage at all and still needs to prove he's recovered from his injury.  He must be disappointed with the contract but like you said, reality rules at the end of the day.  He's simply not a full time NHLer since his surgery.

47 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Pelletier has no leverage at all and still needs to prove he's recovered from his injury.  He must be disappointed with the contract but like you said, reality rules at the end of the day.  He's simply not a full time NHLer since his surgery.

Not sure on the contract intricacies, perhaps more $$ in the A, which would be pretty fair from his perspective.

I doubt he'll have to worry about it, honestly.

We got a bad hand last year with prospect injuries.

I'm amazed people run to "injury prone" for him, specifically.

He'll be fine.

• Like 1

He got in a mere 13 games once he was healthy.  At that time we had almost very few open spots and even fewer (if any) above the 4th line.  The games he did play the minutes were from a low of 4 to a high (one game) of 13.  Couple of 12's.  I think he's going to be fine if he plays with other skilled players.  

Can't find any deets on his new deal.  Perhaps he was holding out for the one way deal to ensure he got the same money AHL or NHL.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Not sure on the contract intricacies, perhaps more $$ in the A, which would be pretty fair from his perspective.

I doubt he'll have to worry about it, honestly.

We got a bad hand last year with prospect injuries.

I'm amazed people run to "injury prone" for him, specifically.

He'll be fine.

Was thinking that but at the same time he needs waivers now. Don't think the Flames are going to risk waivers with Pelletier as I think he'd get claimed. 

Either way i'm with you an excited to see what he can do when healthy. 

• Like 1

Some actual hockey tonight at 5pm MDT.

Flames Younuns vs Jets Younguns

Think I read that Misa has been the most impressive so far?

Gridin supposedly has the highest hockey IQ and lethal shot.

Morton came in as in the best shape.

This maybe was just one perspective.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some actual hockey tonight at 5pm MDT.

Flames Younuns vs Jets Younguns

Think I read that Misa has been the most impressive so far?

Gridin supposedly has the highest hockey IQ and lethal shot.

Morton came in as in the best shape.

This maybe was just one perspective.

Awesome.   I honestly feel like, most years we get one prospect that stands out more than the others, and this year we're gonna get like 3-4 of those.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Utah v SJ on right now.

Guess who is #12 for Utah? lol

Really.  I guess we will see that number a lot in the future.

I'm still not sure how I feel about us missing out on the choice.

Tied in points and they had less ROW.

Such is the nature on concentrated losing.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Really.  I guess we will see that number a lot in the future.

I'm still not sure how I feel about us missing out on the choice.

Tied in points and they had less ROW.

Such is the nature on concentrated losing.

I only started watching at the start of the 2nd, 2nds almost over. Haven't seen Tiggy at all. Not sure what's up. Got the # from their roster list.

SJ is all over them, but Utah's G Thornton is up to about 34 shots. 1-1.

Just caught the last 2 mins of the 3rd and the OT…

gotta say Cgy has some Elite skill, but they are young and have to learn the D side of the game but otherwise they look like a a group that can grow and learn together…they have a lot of

work to do but also have a lot of skill and potential to be a really good young NHL team.

keeping in mind many of your young guys are rookies at the young star classic this year so I have to say not bad and these guys look like they may be in a class of their own at next years young stars classic 

40 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Just caught the last 2 mins of the 3rd and the OT…

gotta say Cgy has some Elite skill, but they are young and have to learn the D side of the game but otherwise they look like a a group that can grow and learn together…they have a lot of

work to do but also have a lot of skill and potential to be a really good young NHL team.

keeping in mind many of your young guys are rookies at the young star classic this year so I have to say not bad and these guys look like they may be in a class of their own at next years young stars classic 

A lot of elite skill against a lot of older players.

A ton to like.   Need a couple more great drafts and they will be the talk of the NHL.

• Like 2

That was a fun watch after a dicey first.

Lots of good showings. I could watch Misa all day, sneaky little waterbug on the forecheck and plays really well defensively. Last time I saw Ciona, the skating was always going to be the problem. Looks like he's come a long ways. Bruce was so close to ending the game. Grushnikov likes to hit everything. Basha plays with a lot of intensity. Morton and Stromgren I expected to be solid and didn't disappoint.

Great showing all around.

Also watched 2 games prior and had the Philly-NYR on at the same time as the Flames. Michkov is superfun to watch. The G matchup of Bjarnasson vs Garand was fantastic.

From what I watched, star of the day was former Sting G Anson Thornton. Utah had zero business being in that game, yet they narrowly lost 3-2. Could have easily been a 10-spot.

SJ PP: Musty-Smith-Graf/Celebrini-Cagnoni

SJ is LOADED.

Musty-Smith-Graf is line 2. Nice problem to have, if you don't mind years of god-awful NHL play.

Haltunnen-Celebrini-Cardwell is line 1. And still guys like Bystedt and Wetsch to spare.

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Parekh with the costly turnover in OT. led to the GWG.

Basha had some really nice moments tonight. Hard worker. Lots to like.

Parekh had some great outlet passes. It's just his 1st game, so I'm cutting him full slack.

I mentioned pre-draft his D-play. He's always pushing north and filled with risk about south. I have no doubt he'll figure it out, but expecting NHL games this year I don't think is realistic.

Can send him back with solid advice and support what to focus on. I'd expect his numbers to drop this season, and I would say that's a good sign that he's rounding out his game.

All of these guys have huge dev years ahead of them. Flames dev staff will be busy....for a change.

There's lots to like.

I highly recommend watching SJ and Philly-NYR games too, for anyone with time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Parekh had some great outlet passes. It's just his 1st game, so I'm cutting him full slack.

I mentioned pre-draft his D-play. He's always pushing north and filled with risk about south. I have no doubt he'll figure it out, but expecting NHL games this year I don't think is realistic.

Can send him back with solid advice and support what to focus on. I'd expect his numbers to drop this season, and I would say that's a good sign that he's rounding out his game.

All of these guys have huge dev years ahead of them. Flames dev staff will be busy....for a change.

There's lots to like.

Where are those games available on replay?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

There's lots to like.

I just think that's part of the Zayne Parekh experience.  There's going to be a lot of really good, but there will be some glaring mistakes. He will learn. It happens with skill players.

I have to say, I'm quite excited about the future of the blueline. If they could add one more LHD, oh man. 

Basha looked like he gained a step too. Looked quicker. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I just think that's part of the Zayne Parekh experience.  There's going to be a lot of really good, but there will be some glaring mistakes. He will learn. It happens with skill players.

I have to say, I'm quite excited about the future of the blueline. If they could add one more LHD, oh man. 

Basha looked like he gained a step too. Looked quicker. 

I'm excited about the blueline but I as well would like at least one more elite prospect there.   I wouldn't complain about 2 more either.   I still think it's a higher priority than C, at least for one more draft.   But if you get an opportunity for a legit cup-winning C, then, hard not to take it.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There's lots to like.

You are such a good sport, can you imagine the level of my moaning if it had gone the other way.

I liked what I saw from Parekh, 100%.   But from the perspective of a project that will take time to...learn the entire position at a professional level.   What he did well, he did extremely, extremely well.  Also, I can give him a break on OT, that was a bit of a ridiculous situation all around.

I also expect him to learn some extremely valuable lessons this training camp, and I'm glad he's getting the minutes he needs in it.   I don't expect his numbers to drop this season though, I expect them to explode.  I don't see how they can do anything else, quarterbacking a more mature Misa.

His defensive journey is a longer one.   It won't get fixed this year, all that matters is that his defense improves continuously and does not plateau.    This thing he's doing with Misa though.....

Who knows?    There's a chance it could last their whole careers, we'll see.