24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

Lose anyone is whatevs. You scout the NHL and target guys in trade. If you're pulling waiver claims outta camp, either you had an injury-plagued preseason or you're in baaad shape.

Not worth a ton of worry. Morton's looked solid. Lose anyone, find other guys.

Now comes the tough decisions.  Who stays and who goes? This is going to be a game of numbers and chance. 

If I am correct Klapka, Wolf, Corronato, and Honzek can all be sent down without waivers. That means you're penalizing the ones that played well to protect Schwindt and Pelts. Unless this club waives Hanley, Pachael, and Rooney there is no room for Schwindt, Honzek, and Pelts. 

As well as Honzek has played I think the best spot for him and Corronato and Pelts is the A. If Pelts and Schwindt pass waivers they could have some great lines in the A.

Honzek Morton Corronato

Pelts Schwindt Stromgren

Hunt Bishop Frk

20 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Now comes the tough decisions.  Who stays and who goes? This is going to be a game of numbers and chance. 

If I am correct Klapka, Wolf, Corronato, and Honzek can all be sent down without waivers. That means you're penalizing the ones that played well to protect Schwindt and Pelts. Unless this club waives Hanley, Pachael, and Rooney there is no room for Schwindt, Honzek, and Pelts. 

As well as Honzek has played I think the best spot for him and Corronato and Pelts is the A. If Pelts and Schwindt pass waivers they could have some great lines in the A.

Honzek Morton Corronato

Pelts Schwindt Stromgren

Hunt Bishop Frk

Hanley is a pure spare and is going down regardless.

Leaves us 7D, and a bunch of F.

Rooney is 31 going on 32 in the spring.

Are you willing to lose Pelletier to keep Rooney for the year?

I actually don't have a problem keeping him, since he has played well and is a C that we need.

Much better so far than Schwindt, so go ahead and waive the young guy for the older guy.  

Coronato and Honzek are the only questions marks for me really.

Klapka is in and I have little doubt there.

So my guess is:

Kuzmenko-Kadri-Sharangovich

Huberdeau-Pospisil- Mantha

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lomberg-Rooney-Klapka

EX.  Honzek and Pelletier

Waived - Schwindt

Assigned to AHL no waivers - Coronato

You could waive Rooney and keep up Coronato as well.

Then you have to play Honek with Backlund and Zary with Lomberg.

Alternate Klapka with Coronato when you want 4 scoring lines.

That's a bit harsh to two players that have not been bad, but you reward young drafted players.

I definitely don't want to give up on Pelletier yet.

Problem is that based on the pre-season, he is the 5th best LW on the roster.

So, he's going to be the 13th F or hope he clears waivers.

I want to see Honzek play in the AHL for at least one season (he's waivers exempt).

Klapka has definitely earned the 4th line RW position and he's not blocking anyone else at that spot.

IMO, Coronato needs to play in the Top 9 to be effective, but he's blocked at RW by Sharangovich/Kuzmenko, Mantha, and Coleman. I don't feel that he would benefit being a 13th F in the NHL. So, another season in the AHL is probably for the best for him.

For the 4th line C, we know what we have in Rooney. Schwindt isn't far off Rooney's level, plus he's only 23 with room for improvement. I'd hate to lose him on waivers, so maybe 13th F?

I believe that Hanley will clear waivers.

I'd gamble on Cooley clearing waivers. Three goalies in the NHL always causes problems.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hanley is a pure spare and is going down regardless.

Leaves us 7D, and a bunch of F.

Rooney is 31 going on 32 in the spring.

Are you willing to lose Pelletier to keep Rooney for the year?

I actually don't have a problem keeping him, since he has played well and is a C that we need.

Much better so far than Schwindt, so go ahead and waive the young guy for the older guy.  

Coronato and Honzek are the only questions marks for me really.

Klapka is in and I have little doubt there.

So my guess is:

Kuzmenko-Kadri-Sharangovich

Huberdeau-Pospisil- Mantha

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lomberg-Rooney-Klapka

EX.  Honzek and Pelletier

Waived - Schwindt

Assigned to AHL no waivers - Coronato

You could waive Rooney and keep up Coronato as well.

Then you have to play Honek with Backlund and Zary with Lomberg.

Alternate Klapka with Coronato when you want 4 scoring lines.

That's a bit harsh to two players that have not been bad, but you reward young drafted players.

I suggest you’re pretty close, my question is outside of Rooney, who would probably allow Honzek to stay up, who else would have to move out for Coranato to stay up? 

also has Coranato established home self enough for a full time position?  

My opinion, Coranato would probably do well with another year in the AHL. He’s improved significantly but it would seem he’s either injured or he’s not ready for the long term intensity of the NHL just Yet…in either case the AHL for another year will not hurt him, with some regular call ups.

as for Honzek, I think he’s earned a spot, the problem is Rooney has prove to be a reliable 4th line Ctr…the issue with Honzek is he just needs an opportunity at a regular NHL spot.

Pelletier, is on a do or die year and hasn’t really stood out, but on the same note hasn’t been bad enough to give up on.  he’s a guy that could possibly take off much like Zary and Pos did last year with the right opportunity.

So the question is who could be removed from the line up to make room for Honzek and Pelletier? and to that end would it make sense to move someone for them? In the case of Honzek I think it would be best to make room for him, but I’m not sure if moving a Ctr is wise.  In Pelletier’s case it’s a gamble move.

Honzek can go to the A, I'm not sure what the fuss is. We're not sending him to some Satoshi Nakamotoehole in California any longer. "Don't wear blue, don't wear red, those are gang colours, but welcome to Stockton". Yikes.

Him, Morton, Coronato, Brucey, Poirier, Klapka, Schwindt can prove why they don't belong in the A. It's a good problem to have.

Adjust the roster as need be, it's not a race. Injuries, make trades to bring them up.

Honzek is proving top 6. Prove it in the A, further. 20 mins/game.

He doesn't have to do that here, right now.

There's no shame in exercising patience, atm and predicaments.

Even Wolf can be sent down for now. If Cooley buys you a pick for $0.75mil, let him.

Let's not get our panties in a bunch.

It's not like the Flames mgmt doesn't have access to their prospects to express their thoughts face-to-face.

Most importantly, they stay in Calgary either way.

Sorry i Disagree I feel that Honex Has More then earned a Position on this roster they told him last year they needed him faster he came back this year and is certainly Faster.....Im sorry you cant ask players to do something then when they do it send them to the ahl there needs to be that Reward for doing as Management and The coaching staff has Asked of you

26 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

Sorry i Disagree I feel that Honex Has More then earned a Position on this roster they told him last year they needed him faster he came back this year and is certainly Faster.....Im sorry you cant ask players to do something then when they do it send them to the ahl there needs to be that Reward for doing as Management and The coaching staff has Asked of you

You're right about one thing, we disagree.

He's young. They could send him to the 'dub, still. There is zero hurry.

• Like 1

Here it is.

Will be interested to see what happens. The Valimaki comp will be there, but Valimaki is much bigger and plays a premium position. Undersized winger here.

a lot of it is based on draft pedigree. Being a “1st round pick” carries a lot of weight in front offices. Yet Pospisil and Kylington are much better players than Pelletier and Valimaki, but they weren’t 1st’s. Both players passed through waivers.

21 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Here it is.

Will be interested to see what happens. The Valimaki comp will be there, but Valimaki is much bigger and plays a premium position. Undersized winger here.

a lot of it is based on draft pedigree. Being a “1st round pick” carries a lot of weight in front offices. Yet Pospisil and Kylington are much better players than Pelletier and Valimaki, but they weren’t 1st’s. Both players passed through waivers.

Of the days to do it, this is the only "smart" day.  I don't agree with it, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.  It's odd that only he is going on waivers (maybe).  I suspect this is just the big news part and you will see both Hanley and Schwindt on there as well.

We will see the waiver list and see other teams doing the exact same thing.  Temas that have more ELC players will be able to make claims and move guys down no issue.  But really the only thing Pelts has done is be a 1st rounder.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Of the days to do it, this is the only "smart" day.  I don't agree with it, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.  It's odd that only he is going on waivers (maybe).  I suspect this is just the big news part and you will see both Hanley and Schwindt on there as well.

We will see the waiver list and see other teams doing the exact same thing.  Temas that have more ELC players will be able to make claims and move guys down no issue.  But really the only thing Pelts has done is be a 1st rounder.

The bolded, is exactly it. If Pelletier went 10 picks later, I don't think there would be any concern. Like Lavoie in Edmonton.

The thing about waiver is a team claiming Pelletier has to keep him on the roster. If he can't make the Flames, I'm not sure he would make many other clubs.

Full list: Brown, Bussi, Patera, Sweezey, Viel (BOS)
Clague, Reimer, Rousek (BUF)
Cooley, Pelletier, Schwindt (CAL)
Josian Slavin, Smith, Suzuki (CAR)
Phillips (CHI)
Dries, Holl, Lagesson, Rafferty, Snively (DET)
Brown, Caggiula, Lavoie, Rodrigue (EDM)
Copley, Segwitemo, Studnicka (LA)
Del Gaizo (NASH)
Bowers, DeSimone, Foote, White (NJ)
Bolduc, Engvall, Fasching, Foudy, Hogberg, Hutton, Karlstrom, Skarak (NYI)
Robertson (NYR)
Gaudette, Jenik (OTT)
Aho, Imama (PIT)
Schuenemann, Tucker (STL)
Goncalves, Santini, Ylonen (TB)
Murray, Rifai (TOR)
Villalta (UT)
Brannstrom (VCR)
Aston-Reese, Laczynski, Rondbjerg (LV)
Shepard (WASH)
Anderson-Dolan (WIN)

8 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Picking the 33yr old waiver claim over a 23yr old is certainly a choice.

I don’t think it was a choice of keeping Hanley vs Pelletier. I think was more that Pelletier needs to play and Hanley can sit in the press box. Hopefully Pelletier goes unclaimed, but the right thing for Pelletier is to send him to the Wranglers and give him big minutes in all situations till he forces his way back up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I don’t think it was a choice of keeping Hanley vs Pelletier. I think was more that Pelletier needs to play and Hanley can sit in the press box. Hopefully Pelletier goes unclaimed, but the right thing for Pelletier is to send him to the Wranglers and give him big minutes in all situations till he forces his way back up.

I didn't realize the Flames were so strapped for D that they needed to keep a player that only managed 10 games with the team.  Press box I get.  But we are likely having Barrie and Pachal there at times during the season.  I saw very little of Hanley's play being good enough to warrant him being kept on the roster.

What I can surmise is that one of Coronato or Honzek is bound for the AHL.  

Pelletier, Coronato and Honzek aren’t going to get regular top 9 minutes, so why keep them up with the big club? Send them to the Wranglers and give them all top 6 minutes, with PP and PK time and let them force their way onto the roster.

Hanley isn’t the reason they are going to be sent down. Having him on the roster doesn’t effect any of the young guys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Pelletier, Coronato and Honzek aren’t going to get regular top 9 minutes, so why keep them up with the big club? Send them to the Wranglers and give them all top 6 minutes, with PP and PK time and let them force their way onto the roster.

Hanley isn’t the reason they are going to be sent down. Having him on the roster doesn’t effect any of the young guys.

Ok, so who is the 13th F?

Did I miss a player?

Hanley only impacts the number of roster spots, so that's how it impact the F.

Anyway, I will get off the soapbox.

The roster isn't going to wow us and Hanley eating popcorn isn't going to win or lose us games.

Nothing this team does surprises me anumore.

We get a top 5 pick and they made the "right" decisions.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ok, so who is the 13th F?

Did I miss a player?

Hanley only impacts the number of roster spots, so that's how it impact the F.

Anyway, I will get off the soapbox.

The roster isn't going to wow us and Hanley eating popcorn isn't going to win or lose us games.

Nothing this team does surprises me anumore.

We get a top 5 pick and they made the "right" decisions.

With the AHL team being in the same city they don’t really need to carry 13 forwards. 

The other day I looked at the Pelletier draft and I might not know other teams very well or who might be in the NHL after him, but that draft looks bad on the surface - so far. He's a decent player, but just saying it doesn't look like many after him banging down doors. Could just not know the other players. Does that make it right that he's waived?