24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I have to say impressed by Honzek tonight, kid can skate. Stromgren was invisible tonight. I thought the D was excellent tonight, Bru is more seasoned than one thinks. Guys I thought would stand out didn't Morton, Pelts, and Strogrem, each was invisible. 

My Three stars

1) Coronoto

2) Bru

3) Klapka

Honorable mention to Wolf 

Thing is, pretty much ALL the Flames played well tonight.  Not many mistakes, the Kraken goal was the worst one.  A few guys were outstanding.  BTW, watching Honzek's speed and overall play brought back memories of Hakan Loob back in the day... great speed, smarts, two way play and knows how to use his teammates. Looking forward to more...

6 hours ago, cberg said:

No problem sacrificing sleep to watch a game like that....?

I got lucky. I'd watched Philly-Wash, some of EDM-'Peg, fell asleep when the Leafs-Sens was 4-4, woke up with about a minute left in the 1st. Energized to see it was 3-0. Rewind during intermission to watch the last 10 mins of the 1st.

Was watching the Kraken feed, but had to switch to Flames TV to hear about Flames prospects. Even the Seattle guys were liking Wolf, Coronato and Bruce.

Must have been a great time for brewcrew, fans looked like they were having a great night out. The way it's supposed to be, as opposed to acting like a reserved pack of 'hockey experts' complaining about people doing the wave. lol

Missed the game but from the highlights gotta say the kids are all right…keeping in mind they did play against a Kraken team with many veterans in it, which is a good sign…granted it’s only pre season but still the past number of years our young teams often were dominant by more veteran teams in pre season, so this is a nice change.

also the young D seems pretty solid, again it’s only preseason but for the reasons mentioned above it’s a very good sign.

and wolf danced 30+ shots and only 1 GA…that is great! Now we need to see how Vladar is doing both health wise and play…hopefully he’s ready to go…but I’m also very interested to see how good Cooley is.  I think Wolf is gonna have a great season, it’s his first full season and this kid gets better and better the more he plays at every level things how he eventually dominates, much like his AHL stint hopefully he follows the same development path in the NHL…good this year, next year he becomes he un questioned no 1 G, the year after that he’s the best goalie in the league and the year after that he’s the NHL MVP 

^^^^

I am interested to see how the lines shake out.

Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko?

Stromgren-Backlund-Klapka?

Coleman-Morton-Sharky?

This isn't just about getting guys back up top speed, it's looking at possible options.

You could see them trying out Lombo with Backlund or Sharky.

In Edmonton

Lines for the Flames in Edmonton, again via Steinberg:

Huberdeau-Pospisil-Mantha
Ciona-Rooney-Duehr
Honzek-Kirkland-Coronato
Bishop-Lipinski-Misa/Battaglia

Tinordi-Andersson
Jurmo-Brzustewicz
Kuznetsov-Mews

Devin Cooley

VS

Lines for the Oilers in Edmonton, via Gregor:

Nugent-Hopkins-McDavid-Hyman
Podkolzin-Draisaitl-Lavoie
Petrov-Philp-Perry
Clattenburg-Wakely-Griffith

Ekholm-Bouchard
Hoefenmayer-Kemp
Corcoran-Kannock-Leipert

Olivier Rodrigue

(Don't know about that last D-man pairing, seems like a 3-some)

In Calgary

Lines for the Flames in Calgary, via Sportsnet 960 The Fan’s Pat Steinberg:

Zary-Backlund-Coleman
Sharangovich-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Lomberg-Schwindt-Klapka
Stromgren-Morton-Basha

Weegar-Miromanov
Solovyov-Barrie
Grushnikov-Hanley

Dan Vladar

VS

J. Skinner-Henrique-Arvidsson
Savoie-O’Reilly-Caggiula
Hoffman-Pederson-Ryan
Stefan-Grubbe-Weatherby

Dermott-Brown
Dineen-Stecher
Gleason-Wanner

Collin Delia

42 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Looks like Zane has a day off on the split squad…indicating he’s heading back to Jr maybe? 

I think they will give him at least another preseason game.

But I think he needs to go back to junior. It’s a lot to ask an 18yr old to step in to the NHL. Go back to junior, try to make the Worlf Junior team and try to defend that Memorial Cup title with Saginaw. Theres a lot to play for this year at the junior level, this season. Next year the decision becomes a lot harder, because it’s still junior or the NHL.

PuckPedia's PuckGM now list the depth chart as the projected lines. This is what they have for the Flames.

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

x-Rooney-Lomberg

There are essentially 11 forward spots spoken for. Coronato is going to have to earn his spot, given he doesn't need waivers. Pelletier requires waivers. It's going to be really interesting to see which way the team goes.

51 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

PuckPedia's PuckGM now list the depth chart as the projected lines. This is what they have for the Flames.

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

x-Rooney-Lomberg

There are essentially 11 forward spots spoken for. Coronato is going to have to earn his spot, given he doesn't need waivers. Pelletier requires waivers. It's going to be really interesting to see which way the team goes.

So, I look at it a bit different, big surprise.  Rooney is not a future piece of the Flames in any way.  On the other side of the coing, you have Coronato and Honzek takung a back seat because we already a solid top 9.  Ther is no dishonor in playing the 4th line, so it's not crazy to think Coleman could take that spot on either side.  Schwindt at C.  Or Bishop or some other C.  Allows you to use Coronato with Backlund for safely and to learn the other side of the game.  

The thing is we always default to the lines that "worked" last year.  Did they really?  Coleman scored 29, but who was the third on that line?  I think you would be better to try Kuzmenko with Pospisil and Huberdeau.  Out Mantha with Kadri and SHark.  Zary is good enough to play anywhere in the top 9.  Lomberg is gonna give you intensity whatever he plays.  Do we really need to use Rooney?  Of his last few seasons, he's played a handfull of games.  This year his contract is completely submersible.  

ANyway, just my musings.

As far as forwards this year, I’m thinking start of the season should be:

Lomberg / Backlund/ Coleman

Honzek/ Pos / Coranato

Hubie / Shar/ Mantha

Zary / Kadri/ Kuzi 

Pelletier 

the reason for this is not just play but also waiver.  TBH there are a few Vetrans that could be expendable if the kids continue to play as well as they have been.  Especially if both Zary and Pos do well at Ctr…I don’t think many vets move this year though but I could see some moving next off season.