2025 NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

Interesting list of candidates.

At first blush, I think it’s Kelowna or Medicine Hat.

- Kelowna was slated to host in 2020, obviously that never panned out

- Medicine Hat will have Gavin Mckenna and they’re got an awesome venue.

Brandon will have Roger McQueen (most likely). They’ve hosted before.

Lethbridge is a bit of a surprise. The arena is in a great location but it’s going to need quite a bit of work to host an event like the Mem Cup. I would be really happy if this event was held in Alberta again though.

The tourney being Saginaw seems to have opened up the opportunity for the American teams. The one thing with Spokane, I’m not sure you can trust them to build a team capable of hosting the event. Like when Saskatoon hosted, they had a pretty underwhelming year, for a host. Ferland was the big addition for them that year. There was talk they would lose the right to host, that’s how poorly they played for stretches.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's such a shame that he's currently got a knee injury. This is a really exciting player.

He probably drops out of the top 10.  Barzal same thing in his draft year if I remember correctly.  Knee surgery but was a top 5 talent at the time.

Backlund too.  He was like a #2 ranked Euro prospect and fell to the Flames at 24 because of knee surgery/injury.

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

He probably drops out of the top 10.  Barzal same thing in his draft year if I remember correctly.  Knee surgery but was a top 5 talent at the time.

Backlund too.  He was like a #2 ranked Euro prospect and fell to the Flames at 24 because of knee surgery/injury.

It's going to depend on what exactly the injury was. If it's not something that keeps him out long term, he could easily end up a high pick.

If it's an ACL, with a long recovery, then absolutely, he slides. Still a 1st rounder though like Adam Jiricek. 

Lindstrom went 4th overall, with back issues. That's much more likely to be a recurring issue throughout a career than a knee surgery.

I just hope this kid can get healthy and back on the ice because he's an awesome player.

On 9/23/2024 at 1:00 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Interesting list of candidates.

At first blush, I think it’s Kelowna or Medicine Hat.

- Kelowna was slated to host in 2020, obviously that never panned out

- Medicine Hat will have Gavin Mckenna and they’re got an awesome venue.

Brandon will have Roger McQueen (most likely). They’ve hosted before.

Lethbridge is a bit of a surprise. The arena is in a great location but it’s going to need quite a bit of work to host an event like the Mem Cup. I would be really happy if this event was held in Alberta again though.

The tourney being Saginaw seems to have opened up the opportunity for the American teams. The one thing with Spokane, I’m not sure you can trust them to build a team capable of hosting the event. Like when Saskatoon hosted, they had a pretty underwhelming year, for a host. Ferland was the big addition for them that year. There was talk they would lose the right to host, that’s how poorly they played for stretches.

On Gavin Mckenna this kid will be phenomenal, his stats..

2023-24 undefined flagMedicine Hat Tigers WHL 61 34 63 97 21

97 Points with the Tigers last season in 61 games and he is only 16 years old, if he continues this who knows another Bedard?

Growing up from Whitehorse in the Yukon he tallied 39 points as a 14 year old in the U15AA in only 20 games.

I would love to see my hometown Med. Hat get this experience. Go Tigers!

• Like 3

How about Porter Martone? 4pt night to kick off his draft year. Luke Misa chips in a pair of points.

Michael Misa with a Hat-Trick. 5 goals through two games already.

Roger McQueen found the back of the net for his 5th of the year to night as well. 

I'm really looking forward to following Martone and Michael Misa this season. I think both are going to put up incredible #'s. With significant help from Flames prospects ;)

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Entertaining home opener for the Sting taking out Windsor 5-4 in OT.

Pretty solid Sting 16yos in Alessandro Di Iorio

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/628142/alessandro-di-iorio

and Beckham Edwards

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/628089/beckham-edwards

Up against the Michael Misa show tonight in Saginaw.

I can't wait to buy the CHL pass again this year. Unfortunately, right now is the time of the year where it's still enjoyable to be outside, coupled with a ton of other amazing sporting options lol. 

This class is gonna be really fun to follow. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be pounding the table for Ravensbergen this year with the NJ pick. And will the NHL learn anything from Wolf? Ivankovic should go really early but will he? Amazing 'tender.

Edit- looks like Parekh is in the lineup tonight as well.

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He's awful defensively. Let's call a spade a spade. He'd better get at it.

Some thought, "9 game look".

Not a remote possibility.

He needs to figure out D play, by quite a bit.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-zayne-parekh-leaves-camp-humbled-and-motivated/

Well his interviews are improving rapidly, and we can assume his objectives with that.

I believe he will challenge for the scoring this year but not because that's what he learned from camp.   That's because he's quarterbacking Misa which is also an excellent development opportunity.

He needs to improve his D and he needs to start now, but the reality is he has actual years to do it.    4 years from now he will still be full on young prospect age.

We have to hope, and we have every reason to believe, that training camp taught him a new set of objectives which he will work on scoring lead or not.

He's a smart kid, he'll figure it out.    But it won't be fast and that's okay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He's awful defensively. Let's call a spade a spade. He'd better get at it.

Some thought, "9 game look".

Not a remote possibility.

He needs to figure out D play, by quite a bit.

Agreed.

I feel that Parekh is going to require at least two full seasons in the AHL to learn the D side of his game as he sure isn't going to while playing in the OHL.

Saginaw will be pushing him to lead their offense, they won't spend a minute of their time trying to improve his D game.

I think that the Flames won't have him on their NHL roster full time until at least the 2027/2028 season.

If Zayne can improve the defensive side of his game to at least NHL league average without sacrificing much of his offensive instincts, it will be well worth the wait.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Agreed.

I feel that Parekh is going to require at least two full seasons in the AHL to learn the D side of his game as he sure isn't going to while playing in the OHL.

Saginaw will be pushing him to lead their offense, they won't spend a minute of their time trying to improve his D game.

I think that the Flames won't have him on their NHL roster full time until at least the 2027/2028 season.

If Zayne can improve the defensive side of his game to at least NHL league average without sacrificing much of his offensive instincts, it will be well worth the wait.

does his age allow him to play in the AHL next season? Don't some guys have to play an extra year of CHL due to birth date? We weren't sending Bennett back because he wasn't going to benefit from it. I don't know the rules but he has a February birthday and will be 19 this time of year next year and I just wonder if he can play AHL then?

wondering, maybe he ends up having to play this season and next season in junior.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

does his age allow him to play in the AHL next season? Don't some guys have to play an extra year of CHL due to birth date? We weren't sending Bennett back because he wasn't going to benefit from it. I don't know the rules but he has a February birthday and will be 19 this time of year next year and I just wonder if he can play AHL then?

wondering, maybe he ends up having to play this season and next season in junior.

It's a tough one.  I believe he has to be 20 prior to December 31 of the season turning 20.  You can play in the CHL as an overager, but the teams only have three of those available.  He wouldn't be an overager until next season.  And even next year he will be too young for AHL.

So either 20 before Jan.1 or 4 CHL seasons.

Or NHL.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's a tough one.  I believe he has to be 20 prior to December 31 of the season turning 20.  You can play in the CHL as an overager, but the teams only have three of those available.  He wouldn't be an overager until next season.  And even next year he will be too young for AHL.

Or NHL.

Two full years is totally normal anyway really, 

Even Cale Makar took 2 full years before joining the NHL, and that's.... Cale Makar.  For sure he learned many defensive things in that time.   If Cale Makar takes 2 years then there is certainly nothing wrong with taking 3 or 4.   It's why we say "build out from the net".

Lots of options, again this is a smart kid and it would not be hard for him to get into US College.  So be careful what we wish for lol.

I have a feelling that defense will in fact be taught to him in the OHL and I also have a feelling that there are going to be unofficial communication lines with the Flames, both in the on and off seasons.    It's just going to take a Long time.    Because it takes a long time to learn.   So, glad we did this at the beginning of the rebuild.  

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Or NHL.

Next year is where the decision gets difficult because it's NHL or OHL. Parekh and Gridin being born in 06 means they still need to play this season and next, before being AHL eligible. Whereas Basha was an older player in the class being born in 05, this will be his final season of junior.

The last high profile example was Shane Wright. It was clear he was too good for the OHL but he wasn't AHL eligible for two seasons. I think the Flames will be in a similar spot next year. You can already argue Parekh has outgrown the OHL, but he's still eligible to play another 130 games at that level.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Two full years is totally normal anyway really, 

Even Cale Makar took 2 full years before joining the NHL, and that's.... Cale Makar.  For sure he learned many defensive things in that time.   If Cale Makar takes 2 years then there is certainly nothing wrong with taking 3 or 4.   It's why we say "build out from the net".

Lots of options, again this is a smart kid and it would not be hard for him to get into US College.  So be careful what we wish for lol.

I have a feelling that defense will in fact be taught to him in the OHL and I also have a feelling that there are going to be unofficial communication lines with the Flames, both in the on and off seasons.    It's just going to take a Long time.    Because it takes a long time to learn.   So, glad we did this at the beginning of the rebuild.  

but he can't go college now. He has played in the chl. And I think if he wanted to go to college he would have to sign an income waiver, no? Isn't that something new that if he played in Junior then he'd have to not make any money from it? 

The thing with Makar is, he played college against men who are more developed, more so in physicality than skill so possibly harder to play against, and he'd have the time it takes to learn skills due to days of. But maybe the rigour of the chl schedule has just as much time to work on defence. 

i think he does have to go back to junior another year if he doesn't make the flames next year. He turns 20 in February of 2026, after that cut off.

maybe he has played 4 CHL seasons though... I didn't look that far