Henry Mews. RD drafted Round 3, 74th overall

Best Flames drafting I've seen in years, I think we'll gradually get threads to close to all of these guys going.

Henry Mews is for sure of interest.

Cutting to the chase:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ohl/stats/2023-2024?position=d&age=u19

He's the only producer like this in the OHL that didn't go in the first round.   

Point per game offensive but rounded RHS D at 6'0 with some weight.

Like other cases, how did we get this guy in the 3rd round?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Best Flames drafting I've seen in years, I think we'll gradually get threads to close to all of these guys going.

Henry Mews is for sure of interest.

Cutting to the chase:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ohl/stats/2023-2024?position=d&age=u19

He's the only producer like this in the OHL that didn't go in the first round.   

Point per game offensive but rounded RHS D at 6'0 with some weight.

Like other cases, how did we get this guy in the 3rd round?

I think he fell because he's somewhat vanilla when he's not scoring.  Just goes out there and does his job.  Good IQ but lacks flash and slick moves.

That said, I feel he's almost a for sure NHLer but the ceiling will depend on developing more tools like a big shot and blazing speed.  But that RHS RD is going to come in handy in the future.  I like this pick where we got him.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I think he fell because he's somewhat vanilla when he's not scoring.  Just goes out there and does his job.  Good IQ but lacks flash and slick moves.

That said, I feel he's almost a for sure NHLer but the ceiling will depend on developing more tools like a big shot and blazing speed.  But that RHS RD is going to come in handy in the future.  I like this pick where we got him.

Amazing for 3rd round yes.    It is conceivable that him and Parekh both turn out, really, which is amazing when you think of where we got him.   If those two guys turn out, then we have literally secured one of the hardest positions to secure right at the beginning of our rebuild.    That would be a full wow.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Amazing for 3rd round yes.    It is conceivable that him and Parekh both turn out, really, which is amazing when you think of where we got him.   If those two guys turn out, then we have literally secured one of the hardest positions to secure right at the beginning of our rebuild.    That would be a full wow.

plus having Brzustewicz RSD as well.

Parekh

Brzustewicz

Mews

need to shore the LSD next with a true #1.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robrob74 said:

plus having Brzustewicz RSD as well.

Parekh

Brzustewicz

Mews

need to shore the LSD next with a true #1.

There are some greedy teams that collect RHS D's.  They don't care because RSD can play either side, if they are any good.  

Maybe just me, but I prefer to build pairs based on complementary skills.

Even though Kylington is LHS, he still was a good match for Tanev.

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There are some greedy teams that collect RHS D's.  They don't care because RSD can play either side, if they are any good.  

Maybe just me, but I prefer to build pairs based on complementary skills.

Even though Kylington is LHS, he still was a good match for Tanev.

ya, I was thinking this earlier, thinking the Leafs should have went after him, but they look like their D might be complete. Maybe they were the ones that wanted him if they didn't get OEL. 

On 7/24/2024 at 10:31 PM, The_People1 said:

he needs to improve his off puck play too.  The value on the pick was good but I do understand why he fell. 

It will be an interesting one to follow. I think convention tells you that when you get a player so much later then he was ranked you’ve done well but I find the opposite is true. When players fall much lower than there consensus ranking, there tends to be pretty good reasons. I don’t think teams hit on those picks as much as they hit on the players they take “off the board”. 

but I’m happy to have Mews because I like betting on talent and players who can skate like he can. Be interesting to see how it goes 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

he needs to improve his off puck play too.  The value on the pick was good but I do understand why he fell. 

It will be an interesting one to follow. I think convention tells you that when you get a player so much later then he was ranked you’ve done well but I find the opposite is true. When players fall much lower than there consensus ranking, there tends to be pretty good reasons. I don’t think teams hit on those picks as much as they hit on the players they take “off the board”. 

but I’m happy to have Mews because I like betting on talent and players who can skate like he can. Be interesting to see how it goes 

I would agree with you if we were talking about a North American forward.    The Sam Bennetts etc (but even there it's not clear cut).

Outside of NA forwards whoever, which btw I think tend to be overvalued to begin with, there are many exceptions to this.    Every decade it seems Russians go through a phase of falling out of favour for non hockey related reasons, as an example.    Then you've got players in countries not adequately scouted (like the Swiss a few years ago).         

Point is, I can show you some pretty massive and indisputable wins by scooping up fallen picks.

Can Mews fall into this?  Well he's not Russian and he's not Swiss but I will say yes, yes he can because he is a defenceman and a RHS defenceman at that.    Like Parekh, he fell for teachable flaws while the talent was there.     Defencemen have loads of time to learn those teachable things, time that forwards maybe do not.   In a nutshell, we draft players too early.    Especially defencemen and goalies.   So if a talented player drops because they are behind in teachable things, take them and help them to learn.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Yes Kylington is always an example of this.  Going into his draft year, he started as the #4 ranked in the entire draft and as the season went on, the tunnel vision became too apparent.  Flames eventually drafted him with the 60th pick in the second round.

Mews was ranked as a late 1st rounder but no one took a chance.

And so, I think the value is there for a third rounder but other teams are probably correct in projecting Mews as a bottom pair D and as a result, there were other more exciting prospects available at the time.

20 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I would agree with you if we were talking about a North American forward.    The Sam Bennetts etc (but even there it's not clear cut).

Outside of NA forwards whoever, which btw I think tend to be overvalued to begin with, there are many exceptions to this.    Every decade it seems Russians go through a phase of falling out of favour for non hockey related reasons, as an example.    Then you've got players in countries not adequately scouted (like the Swiss a few years ago).         

Point is, I can show you some pretty massive and indisputable wins by scooping up fallen picks.

Can Mews fall into this?  Well he's not Russian and he's not Swiss but I will say yes, yes he can because he is a defenceman and a RHS defenceman at that.    Like Parekh, he fell for teachable flaws while the talent was there.     Defencemen have loads of time to learn those teachable things, time that forwards maybe do not.   In a nutshell, we draft players too early.    Especially defencemen and goalies.   So if a talented player drops because they are behind in teachable things, take them and help them to learn.

Didn’t say he could or couldn’t. Just that it presents an interesting case to follow. 

I’m not as high on his upside but I do think he’s got a chance at the NHL. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Parekh, Brzustewicz and Mews are a really exciting trio of RD prospects.

All three are realistically two to four years away but it's nice to see Conroy take care of business knowing there is no immediate impact to the team.  Too many GMs don't want to invest the time.  He hasn't neglected the hardest asset to find in the NHL.  RHS RD.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

All three are realistically two to four years away but it's nice to see Conroy take care of business knowing there is no immediate impact to the team.  Too many GMs don't want to invest the time.  He hasn't neglected the hardest asset to find in the NHL.  RHS RD.

that is perfect though. Andersson probably gets traded at the TDL this year, or before next season or at next season's TDL... we have Weegar for about 2-3 more years after that anyway. His contract ends in 2031? 

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

that is perfect though. Andersson probably gets traded at the TDL this year, or before next season or at next season's TDL... we have Weegar for about 2-3 more years after that anyway. His contract ends in 2031? 

Exactly though.  Timing is good for the rebuild.  Plus, Parekh has top pair potential... 1/2/3 in the future.  Brzust could be a 3/4/5 guy.  Mews maybe 5/6/7.  I know it's early but at least a succession plan is in place.

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Exactly though.  Timing is good for the rebuild.  Plus, Parekh has top pair potential... 1/2/3 in the future.  Brzust could be a 3/4/5 guy.  Mews maybe 5/6/7.  I know it's early but at least a succession plan is in place.

and how many years did it take Calgary to solve the RSD before getting Tanev? Seemed to be a hole for awhile .

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I feel that if Andersson ever does end up being traded, my bet would be it happening at the 2026 TDL.

That would be during the last year of his very good value contract which has a list of only 6 teams that he would refuse a trade to.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I'm ever so slightly more optimistic regarding Mews than you are.

I envision him being a future 4/5/6, but barring a very quick improvement of the weaker aspects of his game, he's probably at least 4 seasons away from being a NHL regular.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cross16 said:

Didn’t say he could or couldn’t. Just that it presents an interesting case to follow. 

I’m not as high on his upside but I do think he’s got a chance at the NHL. 

It's important to bear in mind he switched from Wing to D a couple of years ago. Generally, I think that's a harder transition than the opposite is.

Not saying one way or the other what his success may be.

He says outright that he needs to work on D and system aspects in his game. That's all you can ask for.

I agree with you in why he fell. I think you'd agree we want to draft guys that we can develop, as opposed to maybe maxed out or near.

Speaking of maxes, a synopsis of why 45 minutes down the highway are my CHL Oilers. The London Knights signed his 16yo brother Max Mews. Hope I don't have to hate him. lol

Sarnia's got some great potential coming in as 16yos. 2 are headed to Canada's U17 camp soon.

The joy of sucking Hash Rate is draft position indeed. The ONLY joy. The rest is painful to watch.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's important to bear in mind he switched from Wing to D a couple of years ago. Generally, I think that's a harder transition than the opposite is.

Not saying one way or the other what his success may be.

He says outright that he needs to work on D and system aspects in his game. That's all you can ask for.

I agree with you in why he fell. I think you'd agree we want to draft guys that we can develop, as opposed to maybe maxed out or near.

Speaking of maxes, a synopsis of why 45 minutes down the highway are my CHL Oilers. The London Knights signed his 16yo brother Max Mews. Hope I don't have to hate him. lol

Sarnia's got some great potential coming in as 16yos. 2 are headed to Canada's U17 camp soon.

The joy of sucking Hash Rate is draft position indeed. The ONLY joy. The rest is painful to watch.

Ah, the Oiler junior team.  Not to be confused with the team they tried to buy.

Douche-bomb is the only thing they see, so Must.Draft.Knights.

He reminds me of Nurse.

When he gets the PP time and a stable player to partner with and loads of 5v5 time, he scores a ton.

His defensive sense is right up there with Nurse.

Project him to be another $9M Oiler D that the fans start to complain about in a couple of years.

I am interested to watch the Flames this year, and I hope to not complain too much.

The D is going to be interesting to watch.  How they protect the net.

I hope some of the younger players get a chance; we kinda know what Hanley is.

Solo needs waivers, so I expect him to be on Day 1 roster.

He has some flaws but I see the potential there.

Miroman is interesting, though not a kid.

Think he passes Ras this year.

Bahl is huge, so it would be good to use him with an undersized D

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ah, the Oiler junior team.  Not to be confused with the team they tried to buy.

Douche-bomb is the only thing they see, so Must.Draft.Knights.

He reminds me of Nurse.

When he gets the PP time and a stable player to partner with and loads of 5v5 time, he scores a ton.

His defensive sense is right up there with Nurse.

Project him to be another $9M Oiler D that the fans start to complain about in a couple of years.

I am interested to watch the Flames this year, and I hope to not complain too much.

The D is going to be interesting to watch.  How they protect the net.

I hope some of the younger players get a chance; we kinda know what Hanley is.

Solo needs waivers, so I expect him to be on Day 1 roster.

He has some flaws but I see the potential there.

Miroman is interesting, though not a kid.

Think he passes Ras this year.

Bahl is huge, so it would be good to use him with an undersized D

I do wonder, there'll be a few guys who will require waivers so who do they try to slip through the system when every team needs to send a player can be claimed?  

Flames might also want to claim someone, so it's possible they have to figure out the risks. 

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I do wonder, there'll be a few guys who will require waivers so who do they try to slip through the system when every team needs to send a player can be claimed?  

Flames might also want to claim someone, so it's possible they have to figure out the risks. 

Well, we could claim someone, being 9th in the pecking order.

But, we also have to consider that we have very few that don't require waivers ourselves.

The following regulars require waivers:

FORWARDS

Hubey

Kuzmenko

Kadri

Sharky

Zary

Pospisil

Coleman

Backlund

Mantha

Lomberg

=10

The following require waivers but have been sat or demoted before:

FORWARDS

Rooney

Hunt

Duehr

Schwindt

Pelletier

=5

Exempt forwards include:

Klapka

Coronato

DEFENSE

Andersson

Weegar

Miromano

Bean

Bahl

=5

DEFENSE

Solovyov

Hanley

Pachal

=3

Exempt defense include:

Kuznetsov

Grush

Jurmo

I would waive Hanley, Rooney, Hunt, Duehr, Schwindt at the start, since teams are figuring things out, but I would do Hanley, Rooney, Hunt and Duehr before the final day before the season started.  Last day do Schwindt due to his age.  That would leave us with 14F and 7D (not including Coronato or Jlapka) until end of camp and near the end of pre-season.  We likely have a couple PTO invites that might need to be taken into account, but we only need to reduce the roster if we sign them to a contract.  That could wait a few days.  The more annoying thing is we can't just go by merit.  We have to consider Coronato and Klapka as starting in the AHL.  It's not right, but no wiggle room maybe.

We don't have much flexibility this year at the start.  If we claim anyone on the last day, we would have to be down below 23 before the last day.  Crappy teams in front may have more flexible rosters, but I really haven't checked.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, we could claim someone, being 9th in the pecking order.

But, we also have to consider that we have very few that don't require waivers ourselves.

FORWARDS

Hubey

Kuzmenko

Kadri

Sharky

Zary

Pospisil

Coleman

Backlund

Mantha

Lomberg

=10

FORWARDS

Rooney

Hunt

Duehr

Schwindt

Pelletier

=5

Exempt forwards include:

Klapka

Coronato

DEFENSE

Andersson

Weegar

Miromano

Bean

Bahl

=5

DEFENSE

Solovyov

Hanley

Pachal

=3

Exempt defense include:

Kuznetsov

Grush

Jurmo

I would waive Hanley, Rooney, Hunt, Duehr, Schwindt at the start, since teams are figuring things out, but I would do Hanley, Rooney, Hunt and Duehr before the final day before the season started.  Last day do Schwindt due to his age.  That would leave us with 14F and 7D (not including Coronato or Jlapka) until end of camp and near the end of pre-season.  We likely have a couple PTO invites that might need to be taken into account, but we only need to reduce the roster if we sign them to a contract.  That could wait a few days.  The more annoying thing is we can't just go by merit.  We have to consider Coronato and Klapka as starting in the AHL.  It's not right, but no wiggle room maybe.

We don't have much flexibility this year at the start.  If we claim anyone on the last day, we would have to be down below 23 before the last day.  Crappy teams in front may have more flexible rosters, but I really haven't checked.  

I do wonder if Solovyov could make it through the last one. He could have a crap camp anyway and no one considers him. I guess you gotta weigh the upside though. Does he have the upside that if at the moment he can't beat anyone out that mid season he can? Or next year? I could be worried about Pelletier and Schwindt, but again, if they can't beat anyone out with this roster, gotta weigh out the future potential. I do wonder if Pelletier might be one of those guys who bounces around like Jankowski, as he's getting to that age where development tends to Peter out and they just who they are, the dime a dozen.

17 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I do wonder if Solovyov could make it through the last one. He could have a crap camp anyway and no one considers him. I guess you gotta weigh the upside though. Does he have the upside that if at the moment he can't beat anyone out that mid season he can? Or next year? I could be worried about Pelletier and Schwindt, but again, if they can't beat anyone out with this roster, gotta weigh out the future potential. I do wonder if Pelletier might be one of those guys who bounces around like Jankowski, as he's getting to that age where development tends to Peter out and they just who they are, the dime a dozen.

I think Solo is the biggest risk of getting claimed, no matter when we do it.  Schwindt might get claimed but he has such little NHL time that a team would take a big risk in claiming him.  Especially at deadline day.  He might be attractive to a team of nobodies.  They can claim and keep him for some time, then waive him later if they don't use him.  It would be a futures claim more than anything.  14th F on a team.  It would be annoying to lose him (C/RW), but I don't even know if he is better than Phillips.  

Solo can stick on the roster as a 7D at worst, but I think he would get 3rd pairing minutes initially and maybe alternate with Pachal.  Hanley is more likely to get waived.  The one thing I have not considered is that a waiver exempt guy (Poirier or Brz) has such a good camp that it would be unfair to send them down.  I would still do it and make adjustments after opening day.  I think Pachal had a decent run, but he was not on a stable pairing once he got used to the team.  It's possible he gets lapped by another player, even possibly a PTO.  We can also hold signing a PTO until after the deadline.  

Speaking of PTO's, I was looking at some that might get a look.  Zadina and Nylander.  Nylander because he is younmg and has some skills.  Zadina because he showed some promise early.

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think Solo is the biggest risk of getting claimed, no matter when we do it.  Schwindt might get claimed but he has such little NHL time that a team would take a big risk in claiming him.  Especially at deadline day.  He might be attractive to a team of nobodies.  They can claim and keep him for some time, then waive him later if they don't use him.  It would be a futures claim more than anything.  14th F on a team.  It would be annoying to lose him (C/RW), but I don't even know if he is better than Phillips.  

Solo can stick on the roster as a 7D at worst, but I think he would get 3rd pairing minutes initially and maybe alternate with Pachal.  Hanley is more likely to get waived.  The one thing I have not considered is that a waiver exempt guy (Poirier or Brz) has such a good camp that it would be unfair to send them down.  I would still do it and make adjustments after opening day.  I think Pachal had a decent run, but he was not on a stable pairing once he got used to the team.  It's possible he gets lapped by another player, even possibly a PTO.  We can also hold signing a PTO until after the deadline.  

Speaking of PTO's, I was looking at some that might get a look.  Zadina and Nylander.  Nylander because he is younmg and has some skills.  Zadina because he showed some promise early.

Nylander just signed with the Marlies. They seem to want a test run without giving a contract. Maybe a replacement for Robertson. 

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Just saw this and it helps see how the team might have lines set up.

GTm-gJWbsAE_sIv?format=jpg&name=small

Interesting.   To me it looks like more is leaving than coming and they....could possibly have a rough year.     But my guess is it'll be the last year like that.    I like that there is a large departure list.   If you don't make those hard decisions then it's not possible to give new talent a shot.