2024 Free Agency

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

There isn't, but if you have any sort of belief in Wolf and or Vladar what do you get by waiting?

This is the year to do it so I think there is greater risk in continuing to punt this down the road. If it fails so what, what's really been lost? Nothing IMO. 

Signing someone like Talbot is a complete waste IMO. 

Well the risk is ruining Wolf's confidence long term and we have no plan B.  No other G in the system has NHL starter pedigree.

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well the risk is ruining Wolf's confidence long term and we have no plan B.  No other G in the system has NHL starter pedigree.

The risk of ruining someone's confidence is always there though if you fail to handle them properly. Does that risk get reduced by 1 more year in the AHL? I don't think it does. 

I'm not suggesting anointing him as the starter. I think his games should be managed by he and Vladar as a tandem make more sense to me than trying to go and sign a veteran FA. I don't think what that gains you. 

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think Wolf has risen to every bar he has faced.  He will battle to get where he needs.

I think we will see a goalie signed. Someone like Martin Jones, Chris Driedger, Michael
Hutchinson or Alex Stalock

You make the signing with that individual understanding that they’re the #3 and they need to be prepared to play in the AHL. Where Calgary can be appealing, is that the AHL team is in Calgary. Players with families aren’t having to move, whether they’re with the Flames or Wranglers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think we will see a goalie signed. Someone like Martin Jones, Chris Driedger, Michael

You make the signing with that individual understanding that they’re the #3 and they need to be prepared to play in the AHL. Where Calgary can be appealing, is that the AHL team is in Calgary. Players with families aren’t having to move, whether they’re with the Flames or Wranglers.

That may work, but what does Wolf think?  He was #3 last year.  He only got games when the other NHL goalies were injured.  I would prefer that the goalies work out who gets the starts and not leave it to a coach maybe feeling the pressure to bring in the 3 guy.

By all means, sign someone to be the AHL goalie that is capable of NHL starts.  I'm wondering if the rookie guy there has something to say about that.  Ignatjew had a decent season in the #2 league in Sweden.  

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And not playing him in the NHL shows lack of confidence in him, how dose that help his confidence in him self? Players need to play, and Wolf has played lights out at every level, he needs to progress to the NHL now…sure he may have a rough year or two but that’s expected.

he always adjusts within a year or two so now is as good a time as any to start letting him adjust.

• Like 1

Well, as far as UFA goes, I think 2 targets if term and cost are reasonable should be:

Monahan

Wennberg

5x3 ish each if possible would ideal.

Down sides to both is they are LS…

Upside, Kadri could be expendable, and Backlund stays on the 3rd line which would be great.

if Kadri stays, and preferably he dose, he’s great with Zary and Pos..which another year with Kadri could really help their development, especially being their sophomore year, young players always seem to struggle in year 2 after having a strong rookie season.

having depth (all be it older guys) at Ctr is not a bad thing, and since we have cap room for the first time in what 10 years or so…use it to sure up Ctr for a few years, hopefully we draft a few Ctrs and it lets them have a few years to develop 

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's in U Con.

He’s transferred to Penn State this year, will hopefully get a better share of the net there.  Still think he’s a decent prospect had a rough start to the year but finished strong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

That may work, but what does Wolf think?  He was #3 last year.  He only got games when the other NHL goalies were injured.  I would prefer that the goalies work out who gets the starts and not leave it to a coach maybe feeling the pressure to bring in the 3 guy.

By all means, sign someone to be the AHL goalie that is capable of NHL starts.  I'm wondering if the rookie guy there has something to say about that.  Ignatjew had a decent season in the #2 league in Sweden.  

I think Wolf is on the team regardless.

Vladar may not be up to speed by October. Hip surgery is no joke. Wouldn't hurt to have a veteran backup. A guy like Hutchinson can start for the Wranglers if need be. Probably a situation like Pickard with Edmonton. He was signed as the #3.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I agree, this should be the plan. Totally fine with a veteran so long as they spend more of their time in the A then they do here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thoughts on Matt Roy as a RHD UFA that shouldn't drain the bank?

I think he gets overpaid. With three RS dman on the roster I don’t see the value in overpaying for a 4th. 

• Like 1

With Conroy saying that he is willing to overpay to get someone on a shorter term on July 1st, I wonder if they target someone like Skjei, Montour, DeMelo or Sean Walker. I would say they need at least another defenseman who can play 20+minutes a night. Heck even Brodie or Myers would be solid vets for the back end.

On 6/21/2024 at 3:55 PM, sak22 said:

He’s transferred to Penn State this year, will hopefully get a better share of the net there.  Still think he’s a decent prospect had a rough start to the year but finished strong.

Sergeev's numbers look decent.  But he needs better competition.  He's old enough for the AHL but if he's going the college route then we can't sign him yet.

25 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Tons of cap space for the Flames.

Conroy has said they intend to sign a defenseman. They have to, to hit the cap floor. 

Not many great options. Probably going to take an overpay on a two or three year deal.

Tanev and Zadorov😁 

I kid

Still have to sign Oliver. 

Maybe Ekblad?

Dumba PTO maybe

4 hours ago, Otown72 said:

Tanev and Zadorov😁 

I kid

Still have to sign Oliver. 

Maybe Ekblad?

Dumba PTO maybe

I recall asking thoughts on Matt Roy. I was just prepping everyone.lol

I like him as a dman. I'm guessing Conroy had zero idea that Walman had a 2nd rder attached for no apparent reason. Or, something more is attached to that is why only SJ seemed to know. I'm sour the Flames could have picked up another 2nd and a cheap enough 5-6 with a rifle of a shot. They likely didn't know, though.

What a weird move by Detroit. There HAS to be more to it. Why not just waive him before attaching a 2nd rder? It doesn't make sense. There has to be more to it, or, as a Wings fan, we're going to be very angry. Especially hearing that other GMs were completely unaware.

Plots thicken. lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I recall asking thoughts on Matt Roy. I was just prepping everyone.lol

I like him as a dman. I'm guessing Conroy had zero idea that Walman had a 2nd rder attached for no apparent reason. Or, something more is attached to that is why only SJ seemed to know. I'm sour the Flames could have picked up another 2nd and a cheap enough 5-6 with a rifle of a shot. They likely didn't know, though.

What a weird move by Detroit. There HAS to be more to it. Why not just waive him before attaching a 2nd rder? It doesn't make sense. There has to be more to it, or, as a Wings fan, we're going to be very angry. Especially hearing that other GMs were completely unaware.

Plots thicken. lol

The ol' Future Considerations, eh?  Considering Stevie's past dealings there has to be something up.  Yes, they could waive him in September and he would get picked up perhaps, or they get stuck with over $2M in dead cap space.  Considering how we had the cap space, I'm not sure why we weren't contacted.  Meybe he thought we were dumping cap as well.  But why not ask?

I'm not sure there really is ever anything in future considerations.  It's like selling something for a dollar so it's not considered a gift.  

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

What a steal for the Preds.  A top 5 NHL goalie for only $7.74 x 8.  I felt Saros had a chance to make Bobrovsky-money

I think the days of goalies making $9m+ are over for now. Not many of those deals have proven to be worth it. Way too much volatility with goalies.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think the days of goalies making $9m+ are over for now. Not many of those deals have proven to be worth it. Way too much volatility with goalies.

See what Shesterkin gets by next year.