Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Saw a photo online. Tanev in a walking boot at the airport.

Not great for Dallas.

He blocked a shot and hadn't been evaluated yet.  Safer to isolate the foot now and let them look at it in Dallas.

But anyway, he is a big piece of the Dallas defense, but at the same time he was on for all 3 EDM goals in game 1, and the first EDM goal in game 4.  In the Dallas 5-3 win, he was on for 2 for and 2 against.  Obviously he is not the problem with Dallas' defense, but they were winning games while he was still a member of the Flames.

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

they also had extraordinary circumstances where they got to pick mid-tier players from every team and also have some high draft choices. Just looked, and they only had one lol, #6. 

The stars lined up for them to pick unprotected players or poach from teams needing to protect other players.  When Seattle tried it, their luck wasn't as good and they also made some questionable choices.  Picking Gio was a decent asset move, but they didn't get the homerun selections that Vegas did.

I think the larger impact to Tanev potentially being out is how much more does that put on Heiskanen. The beauty of having Tanev for the Stars is you can have either he or Heiskanen on the ice for a majority of the game. so whether Oilers want to load up McDavid and Draisalt or split them up you've got an answer for that. If Tanev can't go then there is the ability for the Oilers to mix and match to take advantage. not that Lundell is a a slouch but he's not in that category IMO. 

Also limits how much you can ask Heiskanen to get involved offensively if he's got to take Mcdavid 1 on 1. Stars need Harley, who has struggled in this series, to step up. 

but i mean its Tanev. do we really think he isn't going to play?

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the larger impact to Tanev potentially being out is how much more does that put on Heiskanen. The beauty of having Tanev for the Stars is you can have either he or Heiskanen on the ice for a majority of the game. so whether Oilers want to load up McDavid and Draisalt or split them up you've got an answer for that. If Tanev can't go then there is the ability for the Oilers to mix and match to take advantage. not that Lundell is a a slouch but he's not in that category IMO. 

Also limits how much you can ask Heiskanen to get involved offensively if he's got to take Mcdavid 1 on 1. Stars need Harley, who has struggled in this series, to step up. 

but i mean its Tanev. do we really think he isn't going to play?

Tanev will play with a cast under his shin guards if he has to.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team fall apart this late in the playoffs like Dallas has done. Don’t know if perhaps the Avs series was just that difficult and they ran out of gas but they’re in big trouble in this series. 

Game 4 may have been a turning point.

Dallas had Edmonton on the ropes, especially the way game three ended. 

special teams are killing Dallas right now. They’re doing ok on the pk. But they’ve gotta at least get something on the pp. really disorganized.

21 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team fall apart this late in the playoffs like Dallas has done. Don’t know if perhaps the Avs series was just that difficult and they ran out of gas but they’re in big trouble in this series. 

20 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Game 4 may have been a turning point.

Dallas had Edmonton on the ropes, especially the way game three ended. 

special teams are killing Dallas right now. They’re doing ok on the pk. But they’ve gotta at least get something on the pp. really disorganized.

Dallas looks done.  Otter is not able to save their bacon.  

Can't score on the PP at all.

Let in 2 PP goals last game, which was what was holding EDM back.

Blech

Tonight is do or die, the best thing about the greasers getting this close is when they do flop out it will be more fun to watch.  Albeit they are getting a bit too close to the Lord Stanley for me but if its in the cards we will have bury the emotions and let the grease town enjoy it.  Considering they have nothing else to cheer for, they live in a pot hole infested dirty city (for doubters yes I have lived there for many years), and have a higher crime rate they can have it for one year that's all it would be. 

Looking forward to the draft picks June 28th, should be good for us looking in from the bleachers.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Special teams gonna kill the Stars.

They are the western version of Carolina 

Even though the PP is now rolling for the Oilers it’s the PK that’s got them this far, really impressive and not giving up many chances or even shots.

if these last couple games are any indication Florida might have to be careful as it has seemed to be different standards in the east vs west.

10 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Even though the PP is now rolling for the Oilers it’s the PK that’s got them this far, really impressive and not giving up many chances or even shots.

if these last couple games are any indication Florida might have to be careful as it has seemed to be different standards in the east vs west.

For sure. If it’s an 80% PK. They may not still be playing.

theyre on a historic run. Which makes it feel

like they really need to cash in this year. They’re not gonna be clicking at 94% next season in the playoffs.

Not trying to discredit Edmonton at all. But a ton of luck goes into a deep playoff run. 

In this series alone, Dallas has hit *at least* off the top of my head, five goal posts. 

Not all that different from Vegas or Florida last year. Florida won a bunch of consecutive OT games. Vegas won with a #3 goalies. It’s a really weird tournament. I don’t think enough stock is put into the fact that it’s a really random tournament and often times it comes down to good fortune.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not trying to discredit Edmonton at all. But a ton of luck goes into a deep playoff run. 

In this series alone, Dallas has hit *at least* off the top of my head, five goal posts. 

Not all that different from Vegas or Florida last year. Florida won a bunch of consecutive OT games. Vegas won with a #3 goalies. It’s a really weird tournament. I don’t think enough stock is put into the fact that it’s a really random tournament and often times it comes down to good fortune.

And to quote an Edmonton star player from Germany “post isn’t good goaltending “

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Dallas has scored one goal in seven periods. That goal happened in garbage time, when the game was essentially over.

As the old saying goes, Defence wins championships…. If the Oilers keep playing like this they will be hard to beat.  Of course, after last round it seemed like Dallas was a shoe-in.  They play the games for a reason.  

BTW, why is this game not shown on CBC?

I don’t think it can be stressed enough how badly special teams have cost Dallas in this series.

Game 1- 4 minute PP in overtime. Get nothing out of it, lose.

Game 4- Give up a shorthanded goal as the GWG

Game 5- lose 3-1 give up two PPG

Game 6- give up two PPG

• Like 1

Totally shocked at Dallas in this series. They were good for maybe 2 periods. Unreal for a team that looked like they were humming after beating Colorado. Could barely complete a pass there in the 3rd. 

Oilers, and in particular Knoblach, deserve a lot of credit. Oilers were ready for the Stars and adjusted throughout the series and Dallas didn’t. They deserve the win 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Totally shocked at Dallas in this series. They were good for maybe 2 periods. Unreal for a team that looked like they were humming after beating Colorado. Could barely complete a pass there in the 3rd. 

I wonder if the attrition of the first two series took a toll.

Edmonton dominated LA. Dallas had to struggle through Vegas.

Either way. I don’t think they were very dangerous in this series aside from 40 mins in game 3.