GDT Penguins @ Flames Saturday March 2 /24. 8pm Start.

I'm so excited that they're retiring his jersey... but I can't figure out why it'd be against the Penguins. Watching those clips, it seems like you'd want to do it against Vancouver, Detroit, or San Jose. Maybe the schedule didn't work out for a Saturday home game. In any case, I'm really happy for him!

Love.

• Like 1

Prime Kipper was as much fun as any player the Flames have every had in my lifetime. Was such a joy to watch and i'm glad they are giving him this honor. He deserves it. 

It's really a shame he lost a year of his prime to the lockout and had to suffer through 2 years of Keenan or I think he'd be remembered very differently outside of Calgary. He'd be knocking on the Hall of fame door IMO, he was that good. 

As much as we all love Iginla, Kiprusoff saved the Flames. He brought them back to relevance. I’m biased but I would put him in the HOF. I know he won’t  get in, but when you factor in the workload and the deficiencies he masked on the team, you’re talking about one of the best. 

its been a rough 18 months for Flames fans, with key players leaving. It’s another reason to appreciate Kiprusoff. He valued being a Flame. He had the opportunity to leave and decided to retire a Flame. There’s value in that.

Really down to earth guy. I remember, I think in 2014 him drinking beers in the stands for an Okotoks Oilers Olds Grizzlys playoff game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love Kipper.

The kick from behind against San Jose is still mind blowing.  I think he should have got the Conn Smythe in 2004.

I hope they track down the kid kipper who use to mimic him in the stands.   Do us a re run!!

Well deserved getting 34 in the rafters.  Just one number missing now.

1 minute ago, medatswhoP said:

AWESOME G.D.T.

Remember this cute kid, he was a story... :) The 5 o-clock shadow he wore was awesome too.

Today the grown up Kipper Kid now does artwork. Including goalie masks. He was able to present Kipper with one he crafted for him.  Shows you how great the Calgary Fan can be.

• Like 1

A little devastated to miss this game tonight, but I'll be watching for sure as they float 34 to the rafters. Since I'll be around other people that I'll see again, hopefully I keep it together a little bit better than I did for 12.

It's so hard to look cool.

Love.

On 3/1/2024 at 7:50 AM, rocketdoctor said:

Love Kipper.

The kick from behind against San Jose is still mind blowing.  I think he should have got the Conn Smythe in 2004.

I hope they track down the kid kipper who use to mimic him in the stands.   Do us a re run!!

Well deserved getting 34 in the rafters.  Just one number missing now.

One day it might, but at this rate I don't think he'll be alive to see that day.  I think #5 possibly goes up and after that there won't be many other of these nights in the near future.

• Like 1

Although mentioned in DD's first post (awesome G.D.T.) but just so you don't miss this event note the time.

"The Scotiabank Saddledome will open its doors to fans at 5:30 PM with the ceremony beginning on the ice at 6:20 PM. At the conclusion of the ceremony the Calgary Flames and Pittsburgh Penguins will conduct their standard player warmup, with game time set for 8:00 PM. The ceremony will feature special appearances by Calgary Flames Alumni, Hockey Hall of Fame trophies from Miikka’s career, a video tribute, and a thank you from Miikka Kiprusoff. The ceremony will conclude with his number 34 heading to the rafters to join Lanny McDonald, Jarome Iginla and Mike Vernon as retired numbers for the Calgary Flames, along with honoured members and hockey hall of famers Joe Nieuwendyk and Al MacInnis."

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

One day it might, but at this rate I don't think he'll be alive to see that day.  I think #5 possibly goes up and after that there won't be many other of these nights in the near future.

I think they have to get it right with 2 and 25. Might be something they do with the new building.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think they have to get it right with 2 and 25. Might be something they do with the new building.

I think they have it right with 2 and 25.  I don't mind the distinction between honoring players and removing the jersey # from circulation.  Between my other favorite teams the Blue Jays have 1 retired and have several others honored in the same fashion, like recently Jose Bautista.  I don't need #19 to be retired to remember what Bautista meant to the Jays, and I'd argue he meant more to that franchise than several players in the NHL who do get theirs retired.  Football I like the Chiefs and they have 10 retired and induct a player or coach into the team hall of fame every year.  And even with the run they are on now I think only 2 or 3 numbers should be or will be retired.  Raptors don't have any, the only one I would consider would be Lowry, but Vince should be recognized.  But I just think the NHL overdoes the retirements, when it gets to retiring the 5 or 6th best players from dynasties.

Game finally on after Leafs go to SO.  Why is it that Marner has shoot out goals that are questionable?

ANd he gets credit for the goal?  Tonight's was a bit less to consider calling back, but....

Anyway enough about that crap team.

Flames on a jersey retirement night.

6 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

Pitts is just so good i hope we can beat them on kipper night

IIRC, we lost on Iggy night but I could be wrong.

Missing one player from last week and we look lost.

3 shots including having a PP?