Grocery Shopping, aka Team-Building

cberg

Now that we've got less than 5 days till the TDL, a couple things seem apparent from the activity to date.  First off, teams seem to be unwilling to give up a young roster player in a trade, especially for a UFA.  These players are cheap, energetic, and improving and key to team success in this Cap-limited environment.  Conroy isn't finished yet, but to date he hasn't obtained a single such player, to the dismay of many. He has brought in some intriguing Junior/AHL prospects, especially Brusctevich and Grushnikov.  With likely Hanifin, and perhaps Markstrom remaining to trade, that probably means most of the discussed returns from teams like the Bruins(Lohrei, Poitras), TBL(Perbix), Colorado(Byram) or NJD(Holtz, Mercer, Bahl, Nemec) will NOT be happening.  That will result in on-the-surface "disappointing" trade returns, although if the amateur scouts do a great job and find some diamonds in the rough, could be great trades.  

Here on Monday am, with no action on Hanifin and Markstrom gone quiet, I'm expecting a very disappointing Hanifin return, and strong possibility the Flames keep him as an own rental while making a last-ditch(enhanced) re-signing offer to keep him.  

It is difficult to obtain high-end talent in the NHL, but occasionally an opportunity presents itself, albeit with risk.

Case in point is Kuznetsov with the Washington Capitals.  Due to an alleged drug problem, and after going to and coming out of the NHL's Player Assistance program, he has just cleared waivers and was lent to their AHL affiliate.  With a contract of $6.65mm(?) for 1 more year, is this a somewhat risky but perhaps brilliant opportunity to obtain a top-line, 31 year old #1 C?  Washington seems interested in giving him a new opportunity, so would they trade him, along with a pick(ie Monahan), to do so?  Just asking...

14 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

We are needing:

1. a number #1 center.
  2. We need a top  Right winger
  3. We need a short term mentor goaltender for Wolf. Must be average or better for a couple of years. (this assumes Wolf can become "the One")

It could be a good reason to keep Markstrom, to mentor. Depends on if he wants to compete. But good to have someone there to help. I think in Kipper's retirement, having someone tell him he needed to do more was a great suggestion, and a mentor. 

I dunno if Kuz would be the guy there, but the hope is we draft one soon, or find a way to do it by committee. For the longest time, Kreci wasn't top in points, but led the Bruins until Bergeron took over. And Bergeron is one of those all-round guys, so you hope that you get that, and committee it. 

7 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

We are needing:

1. a number #1 center.
  3. We need a short term mentor goaltender for Wolf. Must be average or better for a couple of years. (this assumes Wolf can become "the One")

For #3, I think you can take care of that in the summer.  Mentor won't help if Wolf doesn't have it.  We have that issue if Marky still here.

For #1, Sharky has been doing well but is not a #1.  Need that #1 to be developed in what we have (doubtful) or drafted or in trade.

For #2, Sharky might be that guy if we replace him at C.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:44 AM, DirtyDeeds said:

We are needing:

1. a number #1 center.

3. Believe Vladar can be the mentor, and future 1A, with Wolf 1B.  Vladar did great over an extended ~14 game stretch a couple of years ago, and later off and on while getting limited games.  We should trade Markstrom to pick up 2-3 top end pieces more in line with future window.  Keep in mind, Flames have another couple intriguing goalie prospects in the system too that could develop within the next 2-3 years if Wolf is not the answer.

2. I believe we already have that in-house, either Sharangovich or Coronato.  In addition, Pospisil could continue to evolve like a Tom Wilson.

1. Yes there is a need there that is not developed yet/not in-house.  I believe it could develop from Zary, Sharangovich, draft picks(e.g. Iginla) or perhaps pick up Kuznetsov from Washington for cheap?  Lots of options, no clear fill there atm.  If you build via the Boston model(this year), top line C may not even be an issue?

Have to say it seems that prices did come down, and young, burgeoning players were not available.  The only ones traded were for each other.  

Now that the trade deadline is past I’ve definitely been watching the scores hoping we fall down the draft  ranks to be able to get the best possible at the draft, while giving young guys multiple games of experience and incentive to improve.

I think the Flames need 1 additional top10 draft pick as I believe it imperative we draft a dynamic, high potential C, along with Tij with those picks.  A high potential D might also work, though I believe the Flames are much better positioned for D, and the top end D will likely be gone by then.  Lidstrom and Iginla would be exciting as a new core base going forward.  

now, who do we have to legitimately trade for that pick?  Seems Markstrom is a strong possibility, and perhaps we should consider Anderson as a second option?

23 minutes ago, cberg said:

Have to say it seems that prices did come down, and young, burgeoning players were not available.  The only ones traded were for each other.  

Now that the trade deadline is past I’ve definitely been watching the scores hoping we fall down the draft  ranks to be able to get the best possible at the draft, while giving young guys multiple games of experience and incentive to improve.

I think the Flames need 1 additional top10 draft pick as I believe it imperative we draft a dynamic, high potential C, along with Tij with those picks.  A high potential D might also work, though I believe the Flames are much better positioned for D, and the top end D will likely be gone by then.  Lidstrom and Iginla would be exciting as a new core base going forward.  

now, who do we have to legitimately trade for that pick?  Seems Markstrom is a strong possibility, and perhaps we should consider Anderson as a second option?

Andersson to OTT, BUF, or ARZ should give us their top 8 pick.  Because I think those three teams are planning to draft a RHS RD anyways.  They are desperate for one.  Saw a rumour OTT might consider trading Chabot for the return of Erik Karlsson.  Rasmus Andersson was also linked to ARZ at the trade deadline.

Andersson is a ready product.  A 2/3 on any team.  RHS RD hybrid type D who can play in most situations.

We use that pick to draft a RHS RD to replace Andersson.  We buy time essentially.

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Andersson to OTT, BUF, or ARZ should give us their top 8 pick.  Because I think those three teams are planning to draft a RHS RD anyways.  They are desperate for one.  Saw a rumour OTT might consider trading Chabot for the return of Erik Karlsson.  Rasmus Andersson was also linked to ARZ at the trade deadline.

Andersson is a ready product.  A 2/3 on any team.  RHS RD hybrid type D who can play in most situations.

We use that pick to draft a RHS RD to replace Andersson.  We buy time essentially.

I'm reserving judgement on Andersson.  He is frustrating to watch some nights.  I'm not sure who he should be paired with, but I don't think it's Kylington.  Perhaps it needs to be a rugged stay at home defender, because Ras gets overwhelmed at times.  Weegar needs a skater, because he is good at different things, but when he gets in trouble, he gives it away instead of simple passes.  

I think you work on the D we have, look at the prospects we have and build them up.  It may be painful in the short term, but I think we have the makings of a good D core.  Poirier and Morin in the development stage, so next up as puck movers.  Just missing that big heavy shutdown guy that takes what Tanev used to get.  Mean guy.  Gudranson equivalent, so not the type you draft as much as minor trade or UFA signing.  

The current age of our D and D prospects aligns to coming out of a 2-3 year rebuild.  All except Weegar under 30 and Weegar is getting better with age for now.  We need more to find the backup/1a/1b goalie to offset or replace Wolf if he can't get there.  And to replace Vladar if this year is more typical of his game.

Shop for replacements for Backlund, Mangiapane, Pelletier and Coronato if they don't have it, and the entire 4th line.  Pospisil would be good there (a la Hathaway) of we had a good top 6 player to replace him with.  Determine if Kuzmenko is a 30 goal guy or should be trade bait.

On 3/12/2024 at 2:53 PM, The_People1 said:

Like the idea of trading Anderson and drafting the replacement, buying time.  May be some others in the same boat, but with lessor returns.