Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

I do agree they should have all been gone in the summer ..  avoid the circus .. the chances of being in a good playoff spot at deadline .. 

Thing is tho . He's had his price since summer .. I think teams were super low balling him . Cuz he was taking calls on all of them 

I actually don't agree they all should have been gone. I think he was right to wait on others becuase you need teams to accumulate cap space. 

Hanifin is the only one that IMO should have been moved. I'm sure they listened on calls but from what i've heard they really want to re sign him so I don't think they took trade calls seriously. 

Anyway like I said it's not like I think he would have retuned much more so no point in going back and forth here. I just hope this organization can learn from this and get better at asset management. That is my point

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure why they needed to extend thenew guy for that much.

I get why they needed to do it now, just not sure why he gets that much.

As a pending UFA he had leverage. it's probably a slight overpay but you would have had to do that to get him to sign now and give up UFA.

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think they would have because while sure his agent was doing work I think also just the cirumstance shrunk the market. If I'm not a playoff team then i'm not interested but in the summer I may have been. I'm looking at a team like Buffalo. Makes no sense for them now to inquire about Hanifin but in the summer I think they would have been interested. I also think in the summer you get teams more willing to give up pieces off your roster. 

I'm not suggesting he returns a haul but I think he gets you more. Only so much an agent can do when 23 teams actually can put a call in. 

Keep in mind it was reported in the summer that the offers were underwhelming.  I hate this revisionist history, reported that he was not interested in resigning in the summer yet people have this belief that the team spent the entire summer working on a plan to convince guys to stay, the contract talks only restarted once the season started because the offers were bad, maybe they were better who knows but safe to say not drastically better.  Signing Hanifin was always plan B and continued up into the last few days due to how much they didn't like the offers.  But Murray Edwards wouldn't let Conroy trade players who aren't going to resign makes for great fanfiction.  We can be disappointed we got a decent return for Lindholm and bad for Hanifin, but it was the same with Buffalo a couple years ago solid return for Risto, underwhelming for Reinhart.  Its a weird game.

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Keep in mind it was reported in the summer that the offers were underwhelming.  I hate this revisionist history, reported that he was not interested in resigning in the summer yet people have this belief that the team spent the entire summer working on a plan to convince guys to stay, the contract talks only restarted once the season started because the offers were bad, maybe they were better who knows but safe to say not drastically better.  Signing Hanifin was always plan B and continued up into the last few days due to how much they didn't like the offers.  But Murray Edwards wouldn't let Conroy trade players who aren't going to resign makes for great fanfiction.  We can be disappointed we got a decent return for Lindholm and bad for Hanifin, but it was the same with Buffalo a couple years ago solid return for Risto, underwhelming for Reinhart.  Its a weird game.

A lot of what you are saying here doesn't make sense but this is the biggest one I would disagree with. 

I don't believe at all that signing Hanifin was plan B. I think the Flames made a lot of efforts to get him signed and got very, very close to having him re sign. Ultimately he isn't here because he doesn't want to be and not because the Flames don't want him. 

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

As a big picture..really not bad at all.. and they're not even including the waiver pickups 

If you knock out Kuzmenko coming back in the Lindholm deal, it still beats the heck out of the Vegas trade.  Kuzmenko may be considered a cap dump like RJ was for COL, but he has game.  At least for us it makes sense.  

Capfriendly has the 3rd rounder being a conditional 2025 pick not a 2024 that turns into a 2025 2nd.  It's 2025 one way or the other.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

A lot of what you are saying here doesn't make sense but this is the biggest one I would disagree with. 

I thikn the Flames made multiple attempts to re sign Hanifin and made it clear their preference was to keep him. At one point they reached a deal that went to Hanifin but he wasn't ready to sign. 

Signing him was not plan B

Sure it was, out of everyone who was a pending UFA's how many outright were reported to be not interested in returning?  Just Hanifin, so were all insiders full of Satoshi Nakamoto?  Teams don't typically think players will just change their mind over a summer, the fact Hanifin did somewhat was a surprise, the money helped and it would've been present in the summer if they felt he was going to change his mind.  Funny how little is actually remembered from the summer, too bad the old trade thread disappeared, but I don't remember hearing any talks during the summer on anything besides trade with Hanifin.  Lindholm a different story and also part of the pivot, but Lindholm was priority #1.  

4 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

As much as you may not like this trade are you literally reading the condition Conroy forced a top 10 first round pick from vegas

Vegas is unlikely to trade the 2025 pick this TDL, unless they have a big deal ready.

With that, the only way we get a top 10 pick is if they are a top 10 pick in 2025.

Then we have a chance for a lotto pick in 2026.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Vegas is unlikely to trade the 2025 pick this TDL, unless they have a big deal ready.

With that, the only way we get a top 10 pick is if they are a top 10 pick in 2025.

Then we have a chance for a lotto pick in 2026.

Devils advocate. Why would they advocate for the condition if they didn't have a desire to move the pick?

Why would Conroy mention in his media hit specifically that the 2026 pick is unconditional?

Obviously we don't know I just woudln't say it's unlikely. 

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

It's up to the scouting staff now.  Make them count.

I like the VAN picks and prospects.

We get a 20 something pick if they lose in round 1.

Not much worse if they lose in round 2 or 3.

Get a 3rd if they win 2 rounds.

Have a lot of results to worry about.

Vegas winning round 1, but not againt VAN or Dallas.

Dallas making it to the cup finals.

VAN making it to the 3rd round.

Anything else?  Sheesh

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Devils advocate. Why would they advocate for the condition if they didn't have a desire to move the pick?

Why would Conroy mention in his media hit specifically that the 2026 pick is unconditional?

Obviously we don't know I just woudln't say it's unlikely. 

They obviously didn't want to move this year's pick in any trade.

Yes, that leaves the 2025 pick available.

Is there a player out there that going to get a 2025 1st for?

One that they can afford that is.

Looking at their remaining picks for the next 3 drafts...

2024 - 1st, 3rd, 6th and 2x7th

2025 - 4th, 5th, 6th if they win one round this year (we get the 1st or they trade it)

2026 - no 4th round pick and no 1st if it moves from 2025.

If they are dealing the 2025 1st they are going to have to find something not already offered to add to it.

Any players that warrant a 1st are going to cost something besides that.

if you Read between the tea leaves Td it reall doesnt matter if vega gave there 2024 first round pick to calgary there making the playoff and it wouldnt be top ten so that would ment calgary didnt get a top ten pick from vegas were they may in 2026 or 2025

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They obviously didn't want to move this year's pick in any trade.

Yes, that leaves the 2025 pick available.

Is there a player out there that going to get a 2025 1st for?

One that they can afford that is.

Looking at their remaining picks for the next 3 drafts...

2024 - 1st, 3rd, 6th and 2x7th

2025 - 4th, 5th, 6th if they win one round this year (we get the 1st or they trade it)

2026 - no 4th round pick and no 1st if it moves from 2025.

If they are dealing the 2025 1st they are going to have to find something not already offered to add to it.

Any players that warrant a 1st are going to cost something besides that.

Jake Guentzel

Just now, travel_dude said:

And what are they going to add to a 2025 1st to get him?

The prospect we were talking about earlier?

Something else?

At this rate they probably won’t need to add much at all 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

At this rate they probably won’t need to add much at all 

I haven't looked but how much cap do they have to work with.

Would they need PITTS to retain?

Is a 1st enough for a top line player?

I think they are looking for a top prospect or two as well.

Maybe that's why we didn't get either from Vegas.

Already offered.

Just now, The_Tribal Chief said:

Seems miramanove is gonna play for the flames he just dealt with a injury he is getting back to speed from a injury

He's listed on the roster and they just re-signed him, so yes he's gonna play.

Not for those reasons.

He will play because he's more than a AHL player and better than some choices we have.

Without seeing him play, I would suggest he is better than Gilbert and Oesterle.

I have seen some vegas fans suggest he would have gotten a lot more as a UFA.

Becuase he is good.

I like that Connie is spreading the 1st round picks out.

This years crop apparently is not that good after the first few picks.  2025 and 2026 could be better drafts.

When's McKenna draftable?