Yegor Sharangovich

conundrumed

adb444d96de39804c71efbadbc32bb36.png

Signed through 24/25 at $3.1/yr.

17 goals now after tonight. I guess.

It's been a half a season and Yegor Sharangovich is having an impact.

Acquired from the NJ Devils, along with a 2023 3rd rd pick (Aydar Suniev) in exchange for sniper Tyler Toffoli.

Sharangovich was the odd man out in New Jersey's 2023 playoff run that saw them acquire Timo Meier to bolster their roster.

Kudos to Craig Conroy for swooping in and asking about that young guy they replaced with Timo Meier and offering them another "experienced" sniper.

Personally, I'd have done that trade straight across at the time. Some GM I'd be.

From camp, he was trying to be fast but looked meh because we aren't fast. So he started on the 4th line. He performed admirably as a 4C. 

Since then, he's asserted himself into the roster, all situations. In half a season. Colour me impressed in his adjustment, and hopefully the team keeps remembering that he's a finisher.

How are we feeling about the new guy? What might his ceiling be?

I think a lot of people were not happy with 3rd pick we got and thought it should have been more a 2nd or 1st.

But player wise we got a younger player with a couple of years at decent money.   And Shargovich has started to show some good form.

We also got a nice prospect in Suniev who appears to be having a great freshman year after a great year in the BCHL.

Got to say at this stage it is a Conroy win.    But Devils are probabnly happy aswell apart from not being in a playoff spot :D

Oh and his shorty last night was filthy

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

adb444d96de39804c71efbadbc32bb36.png

Signed through 24/25 at $3.1/yr.

17 goals now after tonight. I guess.

It's been a half a season and Yegor Sharangovich is having an impact.

Acquired from the NJ Devils, along with a 2023 3rd rd pick (Aydar Suniev) in exchange for sniper Tyler Toffoli.

Sharangovich was the odd man out in New Jersey's 2023 playoff run that saw them acquire Timo Meier to bolster their roster.

Kudos to Craig Conroy for swooping in and asking about that young guy they replaced with Timo Meier and offering them another "experienced" sniper.

Personally, I'd have done that trade straight across at the time. Some GM I'd be.

From camp, he was trying to be fast but looked meh because we aren't fast. So he started on the 4th line. He performed admirably as a 4C. 

Since then, he's asserted himself into the roster, all situations. In half a season. Colour me impressed in his adjustment, and hopefully the team keeps remembering that he's a finisher.

How are we feeling about the new guy? What might his ceiling be?

He's exactly a piece the roster was missing, a shoot first mentality with the shot to back it up. Having someone who can properly execute a one-timer without the usual hesitation is already reaping rewards, and as long as hes open Hubie will find him. I have a feeling with the right center it could be a very productive line.

8 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

He's exactly a piece the roster was missing, a shoot first mentality with the shot to back it up. Having someone who can properly execute a one-timer without the usual hesitation is already reaping rewards, and as long as hes open Hubie will find him. I have a feeling with the right center it could be a very productive line.

Funny, but the thing we lost in Toffoli has been replaced by Sharky.  We have no others that accurately can hit the net on a one-timer.  Sharky seems like he never misses the target.  Where Toffoli was a slower possession sniper, Sharky is a speedy possession sniper.  He makes Huberdeau's slower plays more of a fast attack.  As a stats reader, I wasn't so much concerned with the trade.  I liked the target and my concern was the term given to a UFA.  It seemed rushed to get him signed to a very short term contract.  I get the risks, but 2 years amps it up a bit.  

"With the right center.....".  Yup, that's one of our biggest issues.  In the days of Monahan and Gaudreau, all Johnny had to do was pick the target and they would find the net.  Somehow Lindholm has forgotten how to shoot.  Well at least we have one sniper on the top line.  

Tyler Toffoli - 16G 29 Pts in 39 Games

Sharangovich - 17G 30pts in 42 Games

Flames pro scouting with a rare win here and certainly I think Conroy is owed an apology by many. 

IMO he's been their best player the last month and change.  Think they've have a very good 2nd line forward here who can do a little bit of everything. I wasn't super familiar with his game but i've been impressed all year. Sure first week or so was rough but even then you saw a lot of intelligence, footspeed and work ethic you knew he'd eventually get it. 

Fun player to have. 

48 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tyler Toffoli - 16G 29 Pts in 39 Games

Sharangovich - 17G 30pts in 42 Games

Flames pro scouting with a rare win here and certainly I think Conroy is owed an apology by many. 

IMO he's been their best player the last month and change.  Think they've have a very good 2nd line forward here who can do a little bit of everything. I wasn't super familiar with his game but i've been impressed all year. Sure first week or so was rough but even then you saw a lot of intelligence, footspeed and work ethic you knew he'd eventually get it. 

Fun player to have. 

to be fair to us that criticized the deal, we didn't hear much about Sharingovich either. He wasn't a household name and while had a good year before last. His minutes seemed to be cut and he had a huge drop off.  Thats a bit scary when comparing to Toffoli. 

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

to be fair to us that criticized the deal, we didn't hear much about Sharingovich either. He wasn't a household name and while had a good year before last. His minutes seemed to be cut and he had a huge drop off.  Thats a bit scary when comparing to Toffoli. 

Not to be critical, but stats watching is a risky business.  There is little context in them.  If you looked at the two year sample of Lindholm where he was a 40 goal guy and then he was less than 30, you would wonder if he was any good.  

When I look at drafted players, I tend to only have stats and scouting reports to go on.  Most of the time, I have not seen a player play.

Sharky played less minutes on a lesser line.

Ruzicka scored when he was in the top 6, but has tailed off.

What does that show?

Toffoli was okay in VAN and okay in MTL.

He was okay in his first season playing on a 3rd line.

The only times he exceeded was on the top line with 18+ minutes per night with our top C.

The value available during the trade period seemed to suggest that we got a young player with an unknown ceiling for a vet.

It seemed to be fair.  I don't think anyone was really trashing it, just some felt we didn't get par value.

Maybe that comes from overvaluing the player or the price we paid to get Toffoli.

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Comment wasn't directed to anyone here and wasn't meant to be taking seriously. Skepticism of any move is fine but this one came with some flat out hatred and vitriol which I thought was excessive. 

But again not so much here just generally.

I remember twitter blowing up and some of the analysts trashed the trade, but this fan group was more of a threeway tie.

Positive Commenters

They liked the player coming back and felt we couldn't do a lot better due to the trade market.  Some looked at the player stats and felt he would be a good addition.  The player age and contract status helped us manage the ongoing cap.  Untapped potential.  Kind of player that would fit with Huberdeau.

Negative

Connie taken for a ride.  All we got was a 3rd and a lesser player.  Expect at least a 2nd to go with the player.  A nobody that only scored when given excess minutes.

Even

Understood the trade returns at the time.  Toffoli is over 30 and not likely to repeat for much longer if at all.  Would have cost us a lot to extend.  Didn't want to stay after we didn't want to pay him long term.  Possibly a TDL would have been better.  Would have preffered more or better picks.  Like the player not the trade details.

We lost a lot of posters since the summer, so it's hard to tell if some have changed their opinions.  He struggled out of the gate, but then again every player did.  His game wasn't fitting in with who he initially played with, so he adapted it a bit and also changed a bit of what he was doing.  The one thing that never seemed to change was his ability to hit the net.