GDT: Flames and Avs - 12/11

13 hours ago, cross16 said:

Poorly coached D in front of poor goaltending is how you collapse like this. 

brutal. 

So, how exactly did the 3 goals in the 3rd result from bad goaltending?

38 shots, many of them point blank and the last 3 goals were broken plays or a reakaway.

5-4 goal a bit of a change up, and fluttered over his glove. 

5-5 goal deflected off a stick twice to carry into the net.

6-5 goal a clear cut breakaway.  

I will agree with the D.  Between mistakes by the F in clears and the poor positioning of D, there wasn't much to love about this stretch of games.  We are struggling far more with zone than man-on-man last year.  Tanev is always solid.  Ras and Hanifin seem to have lost their defensive awareness.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

38 shots, many of them point blank and the last 3 goals were broken plays or a reakaway.

I will agree with the D.  Between mistakes by the F in clears and the poor positioning of D, there wasn't much to love about this stretch of games.  We are struggling far more with zone than man-on-man last year.  Tanev is always solid.  Ras and Hanifin seem to have lost their defensive awareness.

Can't ask for a 2.2 million dollar goalie to stop a breakaway?  Especially a 6'6 goalie and a shot from that far out.  

40 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Can't ask for a 2.2 million dollar goalie to stop a breakaway?  Especially a 6'6 goalie and a shot from that far out.  

A breakaway is at best a 50/50 chance for the goalie to make a save.  I have seen all our goalies stop them and most let ones in.  And around the league, most or all goalies let them in as well as stop them.  This wasn't a shot from a NHL fringe player, it was from one of the best.  

My point was the overall quality of the goalie last night.  If you blame him for the breakaway goal that is fine.  It doesn't change the fact that he was not at fault for most, if not all, of the other goals.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A breakaway is at best a 50/50 chance for the goalie to make a save.  I have seen all our goalies stop them and most let ones in.  And around the league, most or all goalies let them in as well as stop them.  This wasn't a shot from a NHL fringe player, it was from one of the best.  

My point was the overall quality of the goalie last night.  If you blame him for the breakaway goal that is fine.  It doesn't change the fact that he was not at fault for most, if not all, of the other goals.

Well the other teams goalie tandem made more saves, as much as you want to blame Hanifin, Anderssson, this turnover or that turnover, they were equally as sloppy, we may never see Makar-Toews that bad in their own end again and they failed to take advantage of it.  Not every goal would've required a highlight reel save.  People will continue to pump this guys tires, and I still don't see it.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

End of a day an NHL goalie needs to make a save. Yes there were breakdowns but 6 goals against on 38 shots is poor. No big saves when your team needs one is poor. 

not his fault, but he wasn't good either. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

End of a day an NHL goalie needs to make a save. Yes there were breakdowns but 6 goals against on 38 shots is poor. No big saves when your team needs one is poor. 

not his fault, but he wasn't good either. 

I get what you are saying.  Other than the breakaway goal, I don't think many goalies makes those stops.  About the worst one was the one where the player walked out an went blocker side high.  For a big goalie, he played that one to close to the post and too small.  In the same game he made some 10 bell saves that other goalies may have given up.  I'm not sure how you stop a shot that deflects of a stick shaft or when you commit to a tap in goal and the player whiffs a bit and goes over where you position your body.

Anyway, we need better from every player on the ice.  You can't keep handicapping the goalies into dealing with multiple chances on the same shift.  6 goals is too many, but let's stop making the goal8ie's life miserable by playing like crap.  15 shots against in a period we lead by 2 is stupid.  

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I get what you are saying.  Other than the breakaway goal, I don't think many goalies makes those stops.  About the worst one was the one where the player walked out an went blocker side high.  For a big goalie, he played that one to close to the post and too small.  In the same game he made some 10 bell saves that other goalies may have given up.  I'm not sure how you stop a shot that deflects of a stick shaft or when you commit to a tap in goal and the player whiffs a bit and goes over where you position your body.

Anyway, we need better from every player on the ice.  You can't keep handicapping the goalies into dealing with multiple chances on the same shift.  6 goals is too many, but let's stop making the goal8ie's life miserable by playing like crap.  15 shots against in a period we lead by 2 is stupid.  

The only goal I would say there was no chance on was the Colton one. Of course you can't expect a goalie to make a save with a puck ping pongs through the slot. Every other goal I thought ther was a chance to make save on, of course to varying degree of difficulty. 

This doesn't have to be either or. Vladar wasn't good, neither was the team in front of him and both need to step up. It's really as simple as that and that was the point of the initial post. If your D is bad and your goaltending is bad you give up leads and wins turns to losses. One of the 2 needed to step up last night when it matters and unfortunately neither did. 

I don't see the need to point the finger at one or the other when both were poor.