2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That is an extremely misleading/misguided comp. Just a glance at rosters tells you that there is zero chance Battaglia leafrogs Cowan/Gazizov or Haltunnen at RW on the Knights roster. He'd be 3rd line with little to no PP time.

No offence meant to Battaglia, just pointing out how silly this comp is from someone calling themselves a scout.

The situation for each player is nearly 180 degrees different.

I don't even care at this point what EDM drafted.  They haven't gotten it right in so long.  Drafting the top scoring D from the Knights (Bouchard) wasn't exactly a coup.  If he played with most other teams he would just have medium numbers.   So, when SOR gets to the NHL, he will be stuck in the bottom of the lineup with Sucky McSuck and put up pedestrian numbers.

It's fair to say that there were players available that we could have drafted with the VAN pick.  For whatever reason, we went elsewhere.  By the same token, we took players others passed on.  In 5 years, someone can say I told you so.  I know you won't.  

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That is an extremely misleading/misguided comp. Just a glance at rosters tells you that there is zero chance Battaglia leafrogs Cowan/Gazizov or Haltunnen at RW on the Knights roster. He'd be 3rd line with little to no PP time.

No offence meant to Battaglia, just pointing out how silly this comp is from someone calling themselves a scout.

Small pet peeve of mine is comparing point totals of centers to wingers to try and demonstrate skill sets or value. Totally meaningless without significantly more context. Totally different responsibilities of the two positions. 

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

damn you found my twitter handle

Speaking of Ruslan Gazizov, someone's giving him a main camp invite, why not us?

He really struggled coming over from Russia, but seems to have eventually found his way with the Hunter's guidance.

I think the word I'd use to describe him is slippery.

He's got a great toolbox offensively. Fast, shot, passing, deceptive, great hands.

Any other invites/PTOs we should be considering?

We're definitely at the phase of looking anywhere and everywhere for young talents, imo.

edit

I'll also add RD Anthony Cristiforo as another undrafted OHL guy. He's still draft-eligible, but was passed over this year. His Spitfires went from great 2 seasons ago to an atrocity last season.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Speaking of Ruslan Gazizov, someone's giving him a main camp invite, why not us?

He really struggled coming over from Russia, but seems to have eventually found his way with the Hunter's guidance.

I think the word I'd use to describe him is slippery.

He's got a great toolbox offensively. Fast, shot, passing, deceptive, great hands.

Any other invites/PTOs we should be considering?

We're definitely at the phase of looking anywhere and everywhere for young talents, imo.

edit

I'll also add RD Anthony Cristiforo as another undrafted OHL guy. He's still draft-eligible, but was passed over this year. His Spitfires went from great 2 seasons ago to an atrocity last season.

I tend to like the idea of a PTO when we have cap.  I just don't see any top guys signing up for a PTO spot here.  The one group of players it hurts is our fringe NHL prospects; the ones that have to go through waivers.  As long as we don't sign a 70 year old vet with cup experience, it shouldn't send the wrong message.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I tend to like the idea of a PTO when we have cap.  I just don't see any top guys signing up for a PTO spot here.  The one group of players it hurts is our fringe NHL prospects; the ones that have to go through waivers.  As long as we don't sign a 70 year old vet with cup experience, it shouldn't send the wrong message.

I also like the idea of a PTO, of course the devil is in the details.   I like the idea of a Ruslan Gazizov PTO, as he's unlikely to make the NHL (interfering with Zary etc)  but could land a spot in the AHL.    

At the end of the day, if your 20 year old PTO is out-performing your 20 year old draft pick...who cares?   But of course there are other scenarios where it matters.    I don't think we have anyone he would threaten right now, and I don't think we will for another 1-2 years.    

Worst case scenario he helps out in the AHL and improves their chances of having playoff experience.    Actually, best case scenario is he has another big leap, and gets in Zary's way at some point down the road.    IMHO, that is a "nice problem" to have and there are some very desirable solutions to it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I thought Isa Parekh was pretty good at the Flames rookie camp.  RHS RD with good mobility.  The Wranglers could use a RD.

Agree, hopefully they bring him to camp.

• Like 1