Flames (2-1-1) @ Blue Jackets (1-2) - Friday 20 October 2023 - 5PM MDT SN1

It's definitely too early for the sky to be falling, especially after a back to back, but my suspicions are confirmed.

In my opinion, everything about this team is bland.

I was watching the game from the Wahoo KICKR, so, maybe that made it worse, but it ended before my ride did. I watched the third period and overtime of the Devils/Islanders game.

We're still a pretty boring team, and while very few teams have a Jack Hughes, we most definitely do not.

No panic, but it's going to be very difficult to overcome apathy. I'm signed up for a very long winter if it's brought to you by Wahoo, and the Calgary Flames.

Love.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

from the Wahoo KICKR

I still can't get past that name. Back in the day during post-game handshakes the Captain of the other team called our captain that. Our captain waited, waited, waited, then raced into their dressing room and beat him down. Hard.

It earned him a lifetime ban that they never lifted. He was an awesome player.

All because of that name.

13 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

It's definitely too early for the sky to be falling, especially after a back to back, but my suspicions are confirmed.

I was watching the game from the Wahoo KICKR, so, maybe that made it worse, but it ended before my ride did. I watched the third period and overtime of the Devils/Islanders game.

We're still a pretty boring team, and while very few teams have a Jack Hughes, we most definitely do not.

No panic, but it's going to be very difficult to overcome apathy. I'm signed up for a very long winter if it's brought to you by Wahoo, and the Calgary Flames.

Love.

What I find odd is that considering the talent we do have, it appears we play like we have none at all.  Perhaps we don't and players that broke out elsewhere or previously were just a product of others.  Or the play is so deeply ingrained with Sutterism that it's yet to break free.  

We have 2 games in a row where we create choas in their net area and then look like Timbits players scrambling to all touch the puck.  Does anyone actually see the ice in front of them?  Goalie down and out and we can't execute a simple play.  How many breakaways do we need to score a goal.  I guess at least 3.  It's Byron all over again, except we don't have a Byron or Gaudreau to manufacture them.  Zone entries are tough to watch.  

Anyway, maybe a team like DET will bring out the best.  A team that struggled to handle Levi then when tired barely test Martin shows something is missing.  Shot volume is fine if they are real chances.  Hope Vladar gets a shot against DET.  He has one start and one of our two wins in 5 games.

16 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

Not to suggest I was expecting a juggernaut or something but based on what I saw in the preseason i'm really surprised how the first few games has gone. The flames were far more creative in the pre season and the more games they play in the season they more they seem to be reverting back to their style last year. 

This is the nature of October but I sure hope it's something the coaching staff has got a handle on. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Not to suggest I was expecting a juggernaut or something but based on what I saw in the preseason i'm really surprised how the first few games has gone. The flames were far more creative in the pre season and the more games they play in the season they more they seem to be reverting back to their style last year. 

This is the nature of October but I sure hope it's something the coaching staff has got a handle on. 

It's actually kind of shocking how they seem to be almost the same.  And not the good parts of the same.  The 2nd PP unit is far more crisp.  The top PP unit is a lot of nothing.  Telegraph every pass or direction you are going.  Not even considering a one timer from the point.  It's not something you do every time, but it has its uses.  

But I know you are also not just talking about PP's.  And I am seeing much of what I hated about last year.  

• Kulstad unpinned this topic