Jonathan Huberdeau - Elias Lindholm - Andrew Mangiapane
Adam Ruzicka - Nazem Kadri - Dillon Dube
Blake Coleman - Mikael Backlund - Matt Coronato
A.J. Greer - Yegor Sharangovich - Walker Duehr

Defence:

Noah Hanifin - Rasmus Andersson
Nikita Zadorov - MacKenzie Weegar
Dennis Gilbert - Chris Tanev

Not sure if I like the line blender. We just played one game and they are already changed.

Oh well, wait n see how it goes today. They could change mid-game today as well😂

• Like 1

Some general observations as well as individual ones from this game.

I thought the officiating was very poor! Had some weak calls on both sides, which I'm kind of used to at the start of the season. But if you call every little hook and hold, how is that blatant slash from Malkin on Big Z, after he got called, not a penalty? And the non call on the clear interference on Kadri from Crosby, when he tried to get out of the net is also not understandable. Must be the Superstar bonus?!

I thought after the first, we played a pretty solid second, but the passing in this game as well as the puck handling from the Flames was pretty brutal in the last 40min. I don't know if the ice was so bad, as the Pens had equal trouble in the second, or if the Flames were totally out of sync.

Outside of the Backlund, Coleman, whoever line there seems to be no chemistry 5on5.

Although I didn't watch the first Pens goal, as I was still in the bathroom at that time, I thought the 3rd period was pretty sloppy as mentioned above. A bad pass by Coleman followed by a bad pinch from Weegar let to the 2 on 1 for the Smith goal. The 4th goal was another bad pass by Hanifin and even the empty netter was the result of a poor pass by Andersson. 

So the positves for me are the good play from Markstrom especially in the 1st, Coronato's first goal which was a nice zip. I thought Sharangovich was more noticable in his second game. I also liked Gilbert's game in the few minutes he had on the backend.

On the negative side I thought all of our top4 Dman had a rough game outside of the PK. A lot of bad outlet passes coupled with bad positioning.  I get really frustrated with our 10 million player. I mean I watched Tanguay here back in the day, so I kind of should be used to overpassing😅 But Huberdeau is at least equally frustrating. At minimum two times he was in a great shooting spot, and decided to throw a blind backhandpass that his teammate couldn't reach. And I have yet to see Kadri clicking with anyone on this roster.

That's all for this game, hope we see a better performance on monday.

• Like 1

The WHL beer league style Huska wants to play is not going to work with this group. The past two games have been extremely difficult to watch, give away after giving away lazy dumb-Hash Rate penalties slow, and very little offensive pressure. Our supposed great D-man have been pylons... The positive so far is Marky, I thought Corranoto looked tired and overwhelmed till the goal. They are extremely lucky to be 1-1, they deserved to lose handily in both games. 

Best thing is they are happy and enjoy coming to the rink at least that has translated into much better play this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tmac70 said:

The WHL beer league style Huska wants to play is not going to work with this group. The past two games have been extremely difficult to watch, give away after giving away lazy dumb-Hash Rate penalties slow, and very little offensive pressure. Our supposed great D-man have been pylons... The positive so far is Marky, I thought Corranoto looked tired and overwhelmed till the goal. They are extremely lucky to be 1-1, they deserved to lose handily in both games. 

Best thing is they are happy and enjoy coming to the rink at least that has translated into much better play this year. 

Noted sarcasm at the end.

I have to agree on the rest. I figured the first 10 games might be a trainwreck and the first 2 have been. Still a no danger offence and not moving the puck quickly at all.

I had the Wings-TBay game on at the same time and watched that one more because those teams are fast and 10-bell saves at both ends regardless of a 6-4 score.

The Flames are absolute turnover machines rn. If they don't clean it up and get skating, they're in for a very long night against Detroit next Sunday. The ice will be seriously tilted vs 4 lines of aggressive forecheck with finishers and fast puck movement. I thought NJ and TBay would be a nightmare start but they are right there with both of those teams.

I've now seen about 12 teams' games. The Flames are not looking good by comparison. There was no point in this game where I thought they looked good. That 2nd period, both teams would have been buried by other teams I've watched. Nobody is playing that sloppy.

For now, everything but Markstrom is broken. Why is Sharangovich on the 4th line? And will we ever get the puck moving quickly in the o-zone? It's making my eyes bleed. Near every shot was zero challenge for their backup.

Markstrom's trying to remove the goat horns, it's pretty magnified he never deserved them atm. It's the continuing saga of zero creativity, slow offence. That's likely why Rango is playing 4th line, he came from elevated pace and one-touch passes. The Flames don't do that. It's painful. They have a hard enough time completing passes slowly.

I tried to avoid mentioning my disenchantment with Mangiapane on the 1st line, but yeah. He's pretty uncoordinated is getting branded on my brain. I'm not anti-diminutive forwards, but damn, shrinking violet, Ted Lindsay was only 5'8". To be current, so is actual 30 goal guy DeBrincat, who isn't handing out free cherry turnovers and falling around for no reason so far.

I do not see a good start to the season here. Buffalo's speed should be an interesting game prior to what I should expect going to the Detroit game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Noted sarcasm at the end.

I have to agree on the rest. I figured the first 10 games might be a trainwreck and the first 2 have been. Still a no danger offence and not moving the puck quickly at all.

I had the Wings-TBay game on at the same time and watched that one more because those teams are fast and 10-bell saves at both ends regardless of a 6-4 score.

The Flames are absolute turnover machines rn. If they don't clean it up and get skating, they're in for a very long night against Detroit next Sunday. The ice will be seriously tilted vs 4 lines of aggressive forecheck with finishers and fast puck movement. I thought NJ and TBay would be a nightmare start but they are right there with both of those teams.

I've now seen about 12 teams' games. The Flames are not looking good by comparison. There was no point in this game where I thought they looked good. That 2nd period, both teams would have been buried by other teams I've watched. Nobody is playing that sloppy.

For now, everything but Markstrom is broken. Why is Sharangovich on the 4th line? And will we ever get the puck moving quickly in the o-zone? It's making my eyes bleed. Near every shot was zero challenge for their backup.

Markstrom's trying to remove the goat horns, it's pretty magnified he never deserved them atm. It's the continuing saga of zero creativity, slow offence. That's likely why Rango is playing 4th line, he came from elevated pace and one-touch passes. The Flames don't do that. It's painful. They have a hard enough time completing passes slowly.

I tried to avoid mentioning my disenchantment with Mangiapane on the 1st line, but yeah. He's pretty uncoordinated is getting branded on my brain. I'm not anti-diminutive forwards, but damn, shrinking violet, Ted Lindsay was only 5'8". To be current, so is actual 30 goal guy DeBrincat, who isn't handing out free cherry turnovers and falling around for no reason so far.

I do not see a good start to the season here. Buffalo's speed should be an interesting game prior to what I should expect going to the Detroit game.

I could see there is a struggle with D zone coverage but it's mind-numbing that you are incapable of recognizing that it's not a good thing to be behind the opposition when you don't have the puck. Or the absolutely brilliant creativity of taking shots from the outside and missing the net and everyone is behind coverage or funneling to the net when everyone is behind coverage. What is really troubling is the inability to stop turnovers....have said it so many times these players are incapable of playing when under pressure, every coach of the opposition knows it. A perfect example was Mags on the first goal, trying to force something that is just not there, the D can't make a simple exit pass however the forwards and support are on the other side of the ice. It is junior hockey crap that just doesn't work. I like Huska and Conroy but you have to know your demographic, this group of guys is 100% incapable of playing this style and the inability to not come to terms with that is whats concerns me the most.

• Kulstad unpinned this topic