23/24 Calgary Wranglers Season Discussion

Tough loss. Entertaining game. 

The frustrating part for the Wranglers is that they’re right there with CV. Not much to choose between the two teams. Just come out on the wrong side of it.

Backs against the wall now. Game 2 was the one that’s gonna bite the Wranglers. They should have been heading south with a commanding lead.

Not necessarily pinning the loss on Wolf. But the Wranglers probably need a quality performance from their MVP to push this to game 5.

Drieger deserved a better fate.

shutouts in his first 2 nhl games,   fantastic in Florida, can't entirely be blamed for a little struggle in Seattle.

Wolf looked good.  He didn't make the big jump I keep hoping I will be he looked steady.  Promising, but not annointable yet.

Coronato is a playmaker now?

Klapka looks like he's making the team next year.

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Drieger deserved a better fate.

shutouts in his first 2 nhl games,   fantastic in Florida, can't entirely be blamed for a little struggle in Seattle.

Wolf looked good.  He didn't make the big jump I keep hoping I will be he looked steady.  Promising, but not annointable yet.

Coronato is a playmaker now?

Klapka looks like he's making the team next year.

Well, I don't know.  CV was probably a mostly NHL has been team that seemed to score.

It's not 100% an AHL goalie going to the NHL being a struggle issue for Wolf.

He got out of rythym not playing for too long and being a backup in the NHL...

To being the guy in the AHL playoffs.  Not enough runway to get up to speed.

He's going to need to be a 1b goalie in the AHl to really have much success.

Sure, the backup route can get you there, but might take longer.

You have to learn the NHL shots and not sit there watching.

He got scored on in the NHL by playing AHL goalie.

Lose the net.

Play too deep against players that can hit a 3 inch square in the top corner.

That is experience.

Dreiger is an NHL goalie IMO. Some bad injury and timing luck have prevented that but he should be in the NHL. He was excellent in the series. 

I thought Wolf was solid but just that, solid. Would have liked to have him steal a game but he was far from the reason they lost too and in his defense he stole them the first series. This is what makes the AHL hard. CV is lead by veterans, guys 25 years or older, who are really consistent. Wranglers are lead mostly by guys under 25 and then supplemented with veterans. In the games I saw, Cull was riding the line of Pelletier-Schwindt - Coronato, CV counters with Kole Lind and McCormick. Just a different philosophy and I'll take the Wranglers philosophy all day but it makes winning in the playoffs in the AHL challenging. 

the only thing I was disappointed with is Cull's decision to go with the roster that got him there. Gruschniokov didn't play, Honzek didn't play, Kerins didn't play. I would have taken those guys over the likes of Damiani, Oesterle, Bishop, Pysyk.  The prioritized the development of guys that were there but I think they could have gone further because more of their more "veteran" players were not very good.  I mean Brett Sutter had 0 points and was a minus 3 in the playoffs. 

Grand Rapids looking good, up 1-0 on Milwaukee (Preds). Maybe oddly, the Admirals are the #1-ranked team and chose to start with the 2 home games, back 3 are in GR. Dropping game one 4-2 likely wasn't a part of their plan.

Not a lot of pro-experienced guys on GR, but after 7 years of living in hell, the prospect riches are almost embarrassing. A big chunk is 23 and under.