23/24 Calgary Wranglers Season Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

Round 1 begins on Wednesday against Tucson, entire series will be in Tucson with the Wranglers getting last change in game 2.  So potentially no playoff hockey games played in the dome this spring.

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

Round 1 begins on Wednesday against Tucson, entire series will be in Tucson with the Wranglers getting last change in game 2.  So potentially no playoff hockey games played in the dome this spring.

The AHL sure is a quirky league when it comes to their playoffs. 

I get it, but it's weird. Would be nice to see some Wrangler playoff games. 

They win 4-3 to sweep the series.  Now onto Coachella Valley in a best-of-5 series starting next week.  Yeah, some games in Calgary, may have to check one out...

Wolf has been outstanding, outside of him pretty much a team effort with contributions all-around.

• Like 1

Wranglers and Firebirds was an excellent series last year. 

To refresh;

Game 1- 6-3 CV

Game 2- 3-2 CGY

Game 3- 3-2 CV 3OT

Game 4- 1-0 CGY

Game 5- 6-5 CV OT

Those were two very good teams last year. Coachella Valley ended up losing in game 7 of the Calder Cup.

I expect another very good series. The Wranglers weren't as strong this year due to promotions to the Flames. It's a clash of styles. The Wranglers better players are young, the Firebirds are pretty veteran heavy, given the Kraken are still early in their existence. They still have Shane Wright though.

• Like 1

Was a really good atmosphere last night.  Would say CV is still the better team but may have had a little rust (I felt the Wranglers also had it last year after the bye), a big difference Wolf makes on this team.

19 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That’s a huge win for the Wranglers in game one.

Wolf excellent again. Klapka scored a nice goal. McLain the GWG

Klapka’s goal was pretty exceptional, a one man effort deking straight through the D and finishing off in style. 

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Was a really good atmosphere last night.  Would say CV is still the better team but may have had a little rust (I felt the Wranglers also had it last year after the bye), a big difference Wolf makes on this team.

Not sure why you feel CV is the better team?  It was a pretty even game with chances few and far between.  It was good to see the Pelletier-Schwindt-Coronato line was used as both a go to and shut down line.  They were solid defensively and had some good chances.  

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Not sure why you feel CV is the better team?  It was a pretty even game with chances few and far between.  It was good to see the Pelletier-Schwindt-Coronato line was used as both a go to and shut down line.  They were solid defensively and had some good chances.  

Because of the record and the other times I’ve seen them.

13 hours ago, sak22 said:

Because of the record and the other times I’ve seen them.

At the start of the season to mid-year, the Wranglers were in first place, by a long shot.  Once the call-ups started happening in full force, with over a dozen guys involved, some for significant periods of time, the Wranglers, naturally started to slip in the standings, ending where they did.  Now that the full team is(mostly) in place they are again a powerful team.  The full season standings are not representative of the two teams.  Hey, Coachella Valley is a good team, the Wranglers are too.  Certainly the first game supports that claim, and I think you'll see the same in the next 2-3 games.  Cheer them on, they fully deserve it...

• Like 1

Was a fun atmosphere at the Dome.

Thats a loss that’s gonna cost the Wranglers I think. Palm Springs is one of the toughest buildings in the league, now they need to take two or three. Blew a pair of 3rd period leads today.

Bad pinch by Oesterle in OT, led to a fire drill in the Wrangler end. Probably fair to expect more from a veteran defender than that. 

For the second year in a row,  not much to choose between either team though.

• Like 1

Tough break for the Wranglers tonight. Thought they were the better team and a bad bounce tied the game late and then a pretty questionable sequence of events from the officials led to a CV goal in OT. Wranglers were hit about it and I don’t blame them. It was off side IMO, or at least too many men, and I don’t know why they let the CV jam away at it like they did. 

I was impressed with how they player 5 on 5. PP really hurt them as they were given plenty of opportunities. I thought Porier was their best player tonight 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

Tough break for the Wranglers tonight. Thought they were the better team and a bad bounce tied the game late and then a pretty questionable sequence of events from the officials led to a CV goal in OT. Wranglers were hit about it and I don’t blame them. It was off side IMO, or at least too many men, and I don’t know why they let the CV jam away at it like they did. 

I was impressed with how they player 5 on 5. PP really hurt them as they were given plenty of opportunities. I thought Porier was their best player tonight 

That was definitely offside. But the puck went in before the jamming away. Rode up and over Wolf on the replays. But it was offside or too many men for sure. Thought the Wranglers were going to run away with it in the 3rd. Tough loss. Made me barely pay attention to half of the Dallas-Vegas.

Great, great hockey yesterday. Wore me out.

Great u18 final, great Knights-Saginaw game, GR eliminating Rockford game, Wranglers game, different outcome woulda been a perfect day.

Saginaw hosts the Memorial Cup, so whatever. Cowan should be charged for constantly raping Parekh. lol Charge him with exploitation, at least. A 2-on-1 goal and then 2 breakaways that were saved.

Great effort by the Wranglers though, deserved a better fate. Coronato-Schwindt connections were fun to see. Agree Poirier looked great.

I'm going to have to eliminate democratically deciding which game gets the volume though.

• Like 1

For reference, number 4 has the puck.  So on top of the fact that iMO that player heading off didn't leave the ice before the puck got into the zone, that IMO is clearly too many men. I get there is an unwritten rule about a grace period for guys entering the box but 3 players on 1 in that short vicinity violates that.  Blown call that the Wranglers were right to be mad at. Pelletier had to be restrained from yelling at the officials as they headed off the ice. 

But to be fair this is really a game the Wranglers should have won in regulation. You tempt your own fact in sudden death OT so bad call or not not fair to say this cost them the game. They had opportunities especially during a 4 min PP early in the game where the had the puck in the o zone for almost the entire 4 mins and didn't score.  Their PP is as basic a PP as you can have in hockey and that's a big disappointing consider I think they've got some pretty good skill on it for the AHL level. It was a big factor in them not winning this game as CV took their fair share of penalties. 

Capture.PNG

From a development standpoint it was a good lesson, now they are fully prepared for when they get screwed in the playoffs with the Flames.  Really thought Pelts was close to doing something stupid as the refs were trying to leave, good that a teammate got to him first, just unfortunate that teammate was Sutter as I thought we could finally get rid of the Sutter holding him back narrative.

The double minor was a back-breaker. They gave up two. 6-4.

The Wrangelrs power play finally showed up. Unfortunately, they’ve given up a shorty and two PPG’s in what was a tie game in the third.

Tough third period for Klapka. He turned the puck over on the SHG and took the double minor.